NATION

PASSWORD

What military force was the most efficient ever?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:33 pm

Nilla Wayfarers wrote:
Jordkloden wrote:Spanish Conquistadors were pretty efficient. They conquered the Aztecs and the Incas with relatively small amounts of men. Although, disease was a factor amongst the enemy.

Never thought of that one. There were only a couple thousand of them, and they conquered practically an entire continent's-worth of indigenous peoples (but yes, with the aid of illnesses).

And indigenous allies. Though the conquistadors were able to achieve great victories, even when it was only Spanish troops involved. Such as the Battle of Cajamarca and Puna.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:35 pm

The Tungsten Horde wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:They were talking about the Mongols in the second bit, not Alexander's empire.

That said, I would say the Macedonians under Alexander and his father Philip were certainly quite efficient.

It would help if we knew what "efficiency" means in this context.

More with less is certainly a factor, I'd reckon.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:36 pm

Ligaogiv wrote:
Tierra Prime wrote:The Romans were the best at military organisation, but the Mongols have the record for largest empire, most territory conquered, and largest cavalry armies.

Largest contiguous empire... Despite the impressive size and speed of Mongol expansion, Britain unfortunately still possessed the larger empire by 700,000km2.

I don't see how it's unfortunate that Britain had the largest empire.
Last edited by Napkiraly on Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Tungsten Horde (Ancient)
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tungsten Horde (Ancient) » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:37 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
The Tungsten Horde wrote:It would help if we knew what "efficiency" means in this context.

More with less is certainly a factor, I'd reckon.

In that case, I'm not sure if any historical military force could possibly rival even the most modest modern nuclear power.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:42 pm

Napkiraly wrote:More with less is certainly a factor, I'd reckon.

In that case, I'm not sure if any historical military force could possibly rival even the most modest modern nuclear power.

I think considering the technological level they possessed in their given time period also applies. Unless we wish to end the thread here and say "USA, UK, France, Russia, Israel, Pakistan, China".

Unnamed island state
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unnamed island state » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:44 pm

Tonga's.
Free Bread.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Unnamed island state wrote:Tonga's.

Tonga is like a future Mongolia. No one expects much, but one day we'll all be sorry we underestimated them. *nod*

The Tungsten Horde (Ancient)
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tungsten Horde (Ancient) » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:50 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
The Tungsten Horde wrote:In that case, I'm not sure if any historical military force could possibly rival even the most modest modern nuclear power.

I think considering the technological level they possessed in their given time period also applies. Unless we wish to end the thread here and say "USA, UK, France, Russia, Israel, Pakistan, China".

It's just very hard to do any sort of adequate analysis of how a military performed with what they had. How do you say whether Napoleon's Grande Armée could have done better with what they had? Does the incompetence of their adversaries count? Because their performance seems to very considerably based on how, and who, and where they're fighting. Similarly with technological sophistication. The British may have gunned down endless Zulus, but I'd actually give more credit to the Africans based on the "with what they had" logic.

I will say that the Macedonians had a very well thought out army. Same with the Mongols.

Unnamed island state
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unnamed island state » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:53 pm

Napkiraly wrote:

Tonga is like a future Mongolia. No one expects much, but one day we'll all be sorry we underestimated them. *nod*

They removed a libertarian threat in 1972 and 1982. Not something many nations can brag about.
Last edited by Unnamed island state on Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Bread.

Mashalgd
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mashalgd » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:04 am

Napkiraly wrote:More with less is certainly a factor, I'd reckon.

We're basing efficiency off of what the military force did, in their historical time period, versus who they fought. Not ludicrous comparisons like asking if the Prussian Army could go up against a nuclear power today. Just trying to clear what I'm meaning when talking about "efficiency"

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Ligaogiv wrote:Largest contiguous empire... Despite the impressive size and speed of Mongol expansion, Britain unfortunately still possessed the larger empire by 700,000km2.

I don't see how it's unfortunate that Britain had the largest empire.

It might be considered unfortunate if you're Kenyan, or maybe have some Tasmanian aboriginal ancestry. Amoung other examples.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:30 pm

Napkiraly wrote:

Sounds like the future Luxembourgian Empire.
Last edited by Grand Britannia on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:58 pm

Napkiraly wrote:And indigenous allies. Though the conquistadors were able to achieve great victories, even when it was only Spanish troops involved. Such as the Battle of Cajamarca and Puna.

Having horses, steel, and gunpowder helped them out there.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

The Peoples East Africa
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Peoples East Africa » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:36 pm

The Mongols were definitely one of the best. Forging the second largest empire of all time in such a short time, even if Genghis died before it reached its maximum. Couldn't have conquered all of Europe, even if their Khan hadn't died and force them back to the capital.
Alexander the Great and Macedon were another contender for it. Never losing a battle, and conquering the biggest empire in the world's history till that point in a few years shows they had an insanely good military.
Then there's Hannibal bringing Rome to its knees, then Scipio and the Romans beating Hannibal, and then Napoleon conquering most of Europe, too many to decide.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:49 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:I don't see how it's unfortunate that Britain had the largest empire.

It might be considered unfortunate if you're Kenyan, or maybe have some Tasmanian aboriginal ancestry. Amoung other examples.

I could say the same thing about Russians, Hungarians, Arabs, Persians, etc. when it comes to the Mongols on that basis.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:51 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Nilla Wayfarers wrote:Never thought of that one. There were only a couple thousand of them, and they conquered practically an entire continent's-worth of indigenous peoples (but yes, with the aid of illnesses).

And indigenous allies. Though the conquistadors were able to achieve great victories, even when it was only Spanish troops involved. Such as the Battle of Cajamarca and Puna.

Seems some are forgetting that the Inca and Aztec social structure (hierarchy) did not help. The conquistadors managed to topple both empires with a small military forces by trying to avoid battles while on there way to capture the top leadership. Capture the leadership and the Empire falls. These two native civilizations were kind of authoritarian thus nobody does anything without ok from the top. In other words, there bureaucracy helped sink them.

This following compares both Inca and Aztec social structure. When it comes to the Aztecs the first three segments were made up each of 1% of the total population. Chances are these Aztec numbers were also the same for the Incas first three segments.

Comparison information -
http://image.slidesharecdn.com/aztecinc ... -9-728.jpg

On the other side, the Conquistadors did not have it easy when it came to the Jivaro head hunters of the Amazon or the Mapuche natives of Southern South America. Both had an entirely different Social Structure which made it difficult for the Spaniards to defeat them.

Many explanations, absent of course, from the history books, have been given for the Mapuche resistance. Today the accepted theory is that it was based on the Mapuche social structure. Unlike the Incas and Aztecs, who had a central government and internal political divisions, The Mapuche did not have a hierarchical social structure with centralized power, each family being an independent unit with no obligation to obey an external authority

The Jivaro head hunters were also had a family based social structure.
Last edited by Rio Cana on Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:07 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:It might be considered unfortunate if you're Kenyan, or maybe have some Tasmanian aboriginal ancestry. Amoung other examples.

I could say the same thing about Russians, Hungarians, Arabs, Persians, etc. when it comes to the Mongols on that basis.

Which would be unrelated to the misfortune of the British in particular having a large empire.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:14 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:I could say the same thing about Russians, Hungarians, Arabs, Persians, etc. when it comes to the Mongols on that basis.

Which would be unrelated to the misfortune of the British in particular having a large empire.

It actually is related, given the original poster made the claim that it was unfortunate that the British had a larger empire than the Mongols (and given both context and language, implied that the Mongols would be preferable). And then you gave the reason of various oppressed peoples, which I countered could be used against the Mongols. Thus nullifying that argument as to why it is unfortunate that the British had a larger empire than the Mongols.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:53 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Which would be unrelated to the misfortune of the British in particular having a large empire.

It actually is related, given the original poster made the claim that it was unfortunate that the British had a larger empire than the Mongols (and given both context and language, implied that the Mongols would be preferable). And then you gave the reason of various oppressed peoples, which I countered could be used against the Mongols. Thus nullifying that argument as to why it is unfortunate that the British had a larger empire than the Mongols.

The wording doesn't seem to me to imply that the Mongol Empire was fortunate.
Last edited by OMGeverynameistaken on Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General