NATION

PASSWORD

Woman of the Year becomes a bloody joke!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Woman of the Year becomes a bloody joke!

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:39 pm

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/16/livin ... index.html
http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/m ... dfbjWMrjxb
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 36416.html
https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/some-je ... 57863.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens ... award.html
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-new ... ch-w157719

James Smith, a widower who lost his late police officer wife when she was saving people in 9/11 has handed back his wife's Glamour Woman of the Year Award after Caitlyn Jenner received the same honour, claiming that it was insult to those who actually deserve it. Quite frankly, I agree with James Smith. The world has gotten ridiculously obsessed with celebrities and Caitlyn Jenner. The women who actually deserve this award should be insulted that it was given to someone for no reason what so ever. It's sickening that the media pretends that Jenner is the only transgender person on the planet, and even if she were, that's not nearly as heroic as the people who actually deserve this award. What an absolute joke! Caitlyn received this award, over women who actually deserve it, for absolutely no reason. The issuers of the magazine should hang their heads in shame over this joke of a recipient! Discuss!
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Benomia 3
Minister

Founded: Jan 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia 3 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:42 pm

yeah but how many minutes of fame did this widower get?

exactly
All power to the brave.
Please, call me Benomia. Formerly known as Benomia and Bezombia. Post count +43875, founded 23 October 2012. This nation doesn't remotely represent my views.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:42 pm

Benomia 3 wrote:yeah but how many minutes of fame did this widower get?

exactly

What's your point?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:42 pm

I can understand said reason. Caitlyn Jenner isn't even a good role model for the transgender community let alone worthy of this award.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Italios
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Italios » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:45 pm

If you ask me, Caitlyn Jenner had it easy. Although I respect her for coming out like that, but she was already quite famous, so the hardships she faced weren't as bad as the one a transgender regular old Joe/Jane would face - I mean, you can hardly go after someone who is that well-known.

Really, though, if the man's wife really did deserve that award, it's an insult to her memory to hand it back.
Issue Author #1461: No Shirt, No Shoes, No ID, No Service.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:47 pm

I don't really agree with it, either. Not because I think transgender people don't face difficulties. But because she isn't even a typical transgender person - she has tons of fame and money, and therefore has some pretty strong support & has the money to look like how she wants to. A working class trans woman of color would have been a better choice, because every day can be a struggle for someone who is in multiple minorities like that.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:47 pm

Italios wrote:If you ask me, Caitlyn Jenner had it easy. Although I respect her for coming out like that, but she was already quite famous, so the hardships she faced weren't as bad as the one a transgender regular old Joe/Jane would face - I mean, you can hardly go after someone who is that well-known.

Really, though, if the man's wife really did deserve that award, it's an insult to her memory to hand it back.

No he handed it back because he believes that it became a joke as opposed to a serious accomplishment, and I agree with him

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:49 pm

Othelos wrote:I don't really agree with it, either. Not because I think transgender people don't face difficulties. But because she isn't even a typical transgender person - she has tons of fame and money, and therefore has some pretty strong support & has the money to look like how she wants to. A working class trans woman of color would have been a better choice, because every day can be a struggle for someone who is in multiple minorities like that.

If they had to give it to a trans-person, then yes, I agree with you

The House of Petain
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Petain » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:49 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:I can understand said reason. Caitlyn Jenner isn't even a good role model for the transgender community let alone worthy of this award.

What the fuck is your problem, brah? Caitlyn Jenner is a stunning, brave and beautiful woman. With the grace of a social butterfly flapping against the wind.
Michael Augustine I of the House of Petain

Founder, Chief Executive & Emperor of Westphalia
1000 Schloss Nordkirchen Ave, Munster Capitol District, Westphalia 59394

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:50 pm

9/11 Widower offended because a rich, white transgender individual was given "Woman of the Year" for basically no other reason than being transgender?

It's almost like these kinds of awards are totally worthless or something.
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.
- Best Worldbuilding - 2016 (Community Choice)
- Best Horror/Thriller RP for THE ZONE - 2016 (Community Choice)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:50 pm

The House of Petain wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I can understand said reason. Caitlyn Jenner isn't even a good role model for the transgender community let alone worthy of this award.

What the fuck is your problem, brah? Caitlyn Jenner is a stunning, brave and beautiful woman. With the grace of a social butterfly flapping against the wind.

So what if she is. That does not make her worthy of this friken' award

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:51 pm

I am not very satisfied with this. Mainly because I do not see what she did, of note or worthiness, to be named Woman of the Year.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:52 pm

You mean a discrace of humanity to be shunned at every opportunity. That's the only rational way to treat a parent of the kardashians. Every thing else is irrelevant, just the crime of creating and raising such monsters. :p
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Italios
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Italios » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:53 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I am not very satisfied with this. Mainly because I do not see what she did, of note or worthiness, to be named Woman of the Year.

Frankly, if she is going to get the award, I think I deserve it next year.
Issue Author #1461: No Shirt, No Shoes, No ID, No Service.

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:54 pm

Italios wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I am not very satisfied with this. Mainly because I do not see what she did, of note or worthiness, to be named Woman of the Year.

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

United Ameritania
Envoy

Founded: Dec 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United Ameritania » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:55 pm

Australian Republic wrote:

So what if she is. That does not make her worthy of this friken' award

Brah, Brah, The hell did you Say ?.. She is a stunning and Brave Woman, anyone who says otherwise is Transphobic!

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:56 pm

Italios wrote:

And it's not the transgender thing. I accept her as female. It's just that I think that, in order to get recognition as Woman of the Year, you have to do something of note or that benefits women in some way. She's done neither. And sorry, but just going through SRS is not of note. Plenty of transwomen and men go through SRS constantly.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:56 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Italios wrote:Frankly, if she is going to get the award, I think I deserve it next year.

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself.

:rofl: :rofl: :lol2: :clap: :clap:
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:56 pm

I am not a brah, first and secondly... She may be all of those things, but a good example to other transgender people she is not.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:57 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:

I am not a brah, first and secondly... She may be all of those things, but a good example to other transgender people she is not.

Don't argue with her, she's pro trans-feminism

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Just in case anyone was wondering why they gave Caitlyn Jenner the award. Which is honestly a rather good reason.

Caitlyn Jenner has helped shine a light on the problems faced by transgender youth and given voice to a community that is often unheard. Glamour’s Women of the Year Awards recognizes brave, bold women who in their individual ways have all made a significant difference in the world.

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Hmmm, I appear to be in the minority of people who don't really know about the Janner/Kardashians you are referring to.

But I'm pretty confident I'm in the majority who don't give a fuck about them.
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity.
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

Valloria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valloria » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Okay, just putting my Southern passive-aggressive opinion out here.

I dislike the fact that Caitlyn has received so much attention and, quite frankly, fawning by the media and the public. She's not that special and it's not that great.

This dead woman was apparently saving people during 9/11 - a truly heroic act. However, it is incorrect to hand back the award because Jenner received it. In fact, it's ridiculous to do so. Just because you disagree with the recipient of the same award you received doesn't mean you give the award back.
JON LOVITZ 2020

Greater Novgorod
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Novgorod » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:59 pm

United Ameritania wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:So what if she is. That does not make her worthy of this friken' award

Brah, Brah, The hell did you Say ?.. She is a stunning and Brave Woman, anyone who says otherwise is Transphobic!

Was OP hating on her for being Trans?

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:00 pm

Next thing you know they'll give the Nobel Peace Prize to someone like Barack Obama. Oh wait....

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General