NATION

PASSWORD

The Christian Discussion Thread VI

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
36%
Eastern Orthodox
8%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East , etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
5%
Methodist
3%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
12%
Baptist
11%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, non-denominational, etc.)
10%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
3%
Other Christian
11%

Total votes : 684

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:24 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
Czechanada wrote:
We were talking about God demanding worship, not why people worship.

The false equivalency here is that parents are also human, while God is, well, God. The charge of Narcissism is aimed at humans who think they're more important than or superior to all others, which is generally false as they too are humans with no higher intrinsic value.

This doesn't apply to God. The "demand" of Worship to God is centered in Gratitude. Worshiping God is an expression of Gratitude for Creating the Universe, Saving the world, etc etc.

But why does God require gratitude?
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Grand Calvert
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Calvert » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:26 pm

Belhorizon wrote:
Diopolis wrote:I know some who think even doin' that much is excessive. Catholics are often uncatechized and questionably observant.

My (Catholic) friends are genuinely surprised when they learn I go to confession.
I don't want to imagine the look on their faces when they learn I go more than the once per year which they deem to be too much. :?

I have a friend who once admitted to being a cafeteria Catholic but gets mad at anyone who criticizes the Pope or Catholic doctrine.
17 year-old Conservative Reformed Baptist
“So when the devil throws your sins in your face and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this: "I admit that I deserve death and hell, what of it? For I know One who suffered and made satisfaction on my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, and where He is there I shall be also!” -Martin Luther

Saved...

Sola Gratia (by grace alone)
Sola Fide (through faith alone)
Solus Christus (in Christ alone)
Sola Scriptura (according to scripture alone)
Soli Deo Gloria (for the glory of God alone)

Grand Calvert
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Calvert » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:26 pm

Czechanada wrote:
Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
The false equivalency here is that parents are also human, while God is, well, God. The charge of Narcissism is aimed at humans who think they're more important than or superior to all others, which is generally false as they too are humans with no higher intrinsic value.

This doesn't apply to God. The "demand" of Worship to God is centered in Gratitude. Worshiping God is an expression of Gratitude for Creating the Universe, Saving the world, etc etc.

Why wouldn't He? He created the world. That's pretty praiseworthy in my book.
“So when the devil throws your sins in your face and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this: "I admit that I deserve death and hell, what of it? For I know One who suffered and made satisfaction on my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, and where He is there I shall be also!” -Martin Luther

Saved...

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:37 pm

Grand Calvert wrote:
Czechanada wrote:

BUt you are not God. The question is why God requires it.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:41 pm

Ithqington wrote:
Grand Calvert wrote:I don't think we needed the Pope to tell us that.

Well, Now you know How Protestant feel when they a heard a News about the Pope and Roman Catholic Church :eyebrow:

Umm, Calvert is a protestant.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:44 pm

Grand Calvert wrote:
Czechanada wrote:But why does God require gratitude?

Seems narcissistic and impolite to ask for praise. People will voluntarily give praise if they feel it's deserved.

The world is full of disease and danger. It's a death trap. If God were accountable to safety regulations, his designs would never have been authorised for construction. Shoddy work. :p

Ithqington
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ithqington » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:54 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Ithqington wrote:Well, Now you know How Protestant feel when they a heard a News about the Pope and Roman Catholic Church :eyebrow:

Umm, Calvert is a protestant.

Oh, Okay then.. :meh:

Cill Airne
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Airne » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:46 pm

Belhorizon wrote:
Diopolis wrote:I know some who think even doin' that much is excessive. Catholics are often uncatechized and questionably observant.

My (Catholic) friends are genuinely surprised when they learn I go to confession.
I don't want to imagine the look on their faces when they learn I go more than the once per year which they deem to be too much. :?

On that note, Anglicans/Episcopalians do have a Sacrament of Reconciliation, found within the Book of Common Prayer. It is, however, face-to-face, there is no screen. When I requested it last year, my (then) priest told me I was the first person to request it since he became rector over two years prior. I think it is a shame more Anglicans do not take advantage of Confession.
Anglican
Avid reader

To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.

Belhorizon
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Belhorizon » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:47 pm

Cill Airne wrote:
Belhorizon wrote:

On that note, Anglicans/Episcopalians do have a Sacrament of Reconciliation, found within the Book of Common Prayer. It is, however, face-to-face, there is no screen. When I requested it last year, my (then) priest told me I was the first person to request it since he became rector over two years prior. I think it is a shame more Anglicans do not take advantage of Confession.

I undergo confession face to face. There's a kneeler available, but I sit on the chair.
The screen isn't mandatory. But I'd rather have a screen if I'm not familiar with the priest.

Do Anglicans treat Absolution the same way Catholics do, or is it different?
Belhorizon National News: BREAKING: Military Intervention declared in Frojo. More details here.

Official Website (Work in progress)

Cill Airne
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Airne » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:54 pm

Belhorizon wrote:
Cill Airne wrote:On that note, Anglicans/Episcopalians do have a Sacrament of Reconciliation, found within the Book of Common Prayer. It is, however, face-to-face, there is no screen. When I requested it last year, my (then) priest told me I was the first person to request it since he became rector over two years prior. I think it is a shame more Anglicans do not take advantage of Confession.

I undergo confession face to face. There's a kneeler available, but I sit on the chair.
The screen isn't mandatory. But I'd rather have a screen if I'm not familiar with the priest.

Do Anglicans treat Absolution the same way Catholics do or is it different?

Typically when we (Anglicans) think of Confession, we think of the General Confession1 during Eucharist. Aural confession is done only by request (eg. schedule an appointment with your rector), and at the end of the aural confession the priest also pronounces absolution. Unlike Roman Catholicism, penitential acts are not required for/after confession but are done out of piety to help the healing process.

1 The General Confession is said during Eucharist, after which the Priest pronounces absolution.
Anglican
Avid reader

Belhorizon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Belhorizon » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:12 pm

Cill Airne wrote:
Belhorizon wrote:

Do Anglicans treat Absolution the same way Catholics do or is it different?

Typically when we (Anglicans) think of Confession, we think of the General Confession1 during Eucharist. Aural confession is done only by request (eg. schedule an appointment with your rector), and at the end of the aural confession the priest also pronounces absolution. Unlike Roman Catholicism, penitential acts are not required for/after confession but are done out of piety to help the healing process.

1 The General Confession is said during Eucharist, after which the Priest pronounces absolution.

Huh. Doesn't sound too far away from the Catholic Church.
Penitential acts are almost always prayer, in my experience.

I recently heard that the Vatican appointed the first Bishop for an Anglican Uniate. Hopefully the trend continues towards more and more towards unification.
Belhorizon National News: BREAKING: Military Intervention declared in Frojo. More details here.

Cill Airne
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Airne » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:19 pm

Belhorizon wrote:
Cill Airne wrote:Typically when we (Anglicans) think of Confession, we think of the General Confession1 during Eucharist. Aural confession is done only by request (eg. schedule an appointment with your rector), and at the end of the aural confession the priest also pronounces absolution. Unlike Roman Catholicism, penitential acts are not required for/after confession but are done out of piety to help the healing process.

I recently heard that the Vatican appointed the first Bishop for an Anglican Uniate. Hopefully the trend continues towards more and more towards unification.

I'm currently looking at my 1979 Book of Common Prayer (Episcopal Church of the US). Rite I is probably somewhat familiar to Roman Catholics out of it.

Penitent: Bless me, for I have sinned.
Priest: The Lord be in your heart and upon your lips that you may truly and humbly confess your sins: In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Penitent: I confess to Almighty God, to his Church, and to you, that I have sinned by my own fault in thought, word, and deed, in things done and left undone; especially _____________. For these and all other sins which I cannot now remember, I am truly sorry. I pray God to have mercy on me. I firmly intend amendment of life, and I humbly beg forgiveness of God and his Church, and ask you for counsel, direction, and absolution.
(Here the priest may offer counsel, direction and comfort)
Priest: Our Lord Jesus Christ, who has left power to his Church to absolve all sinners who truly repent and believe in him, of his great mercy forgive you all your offenses; and by his authority committed to me, I absolve you from all your sins: In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
or
Our Lord Jesus Christ, who offered himself to be sacrificed for us to the Father, and who conferred power on his Church to forgive sins, absolve you through my ministry by the grace of the Holy Spirit, and restore you in the perfect peace of the Church. Amen.
Priest: The Lord has put away all your sins.
Penitent: Thanks be to God.
Priest: Go (or abide) in peace, and pray for me, a sinner.

As for an Anglican Uniate. I unfortunately do not support it at this time. I would love to see unification, but I could not support unification at this current time.
Anglican
Avid reader

Belhorizon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Belhorizon » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:22 pm

Cill Airne wrote:
Belhorizon wrote:

I'm currently looking at my 1979 Book of Common Prayer (Episcopal Church of the US). Rite I is probably somewhat familiar to Roman Catholics out of it.

Priest: The Lord be in your heart and upon your lips that you may truly and humbly confess your sins: In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Penitent: I confess to Almighty God, to his Church, and to you, that I have sinned by my own fault in thought, word, and deed, in things done and left undone; especially _____________. For these and all other sins which I cannot now remember, I am truly sorry. I pray God to have mercy on me. I firmly intend amendment of life, and I humbly beg forgiveness of God and his Church, and ask you for counsel, direction, and absolution.
Priest: Our Lord Jesus Christ, who has left power to his Church to absolve all sinners who truly repent and believe in him, of his great mercy forgive you all your offenses; and by his authority committed to me, I absolve you from all your sins: In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
or
Our Lord Jesus Christ, who offered himself to be sacrificed for us to the Father, and who conferred power on his Church to forgive sins, absolve you through my ministry by the grace of the Holy Spirit, and restore you in the perfect peace of the Church. Amen.

As for an Anglican Uniate. I unfortunately do not support it at this time. I would love to see unification, but I could not support unification at this current time.

Why not?

As for our Confessional prayers, we say the "Act of Contrition" (This is probably not the correct name. I'm translating from Arabic, which is the language I use.) while the Priest grants absolution in silence. I'm pretty sure that's for the Roman Rite as well, since I've confessed abroad as well.

Cill Airne
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Airne » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:28 pm

Belhorizon wrote:
Cill Airne wrote:I'm currently looking at my 1979 Book of Common Prayer (Episcopal Church of the US). Rite I is probably somewhat familiar to Roman Catholics out of it.

or

Why not?

As for our Confessional prayers, we say the "Act of Contrition" (This is probably not the correct name. I'm translating from Arabic, which is the language I use.) while the Priest grants absolution in silence. I'm pretty sure that's for the Roman Rite as well since I've confessed abroad as well.
I have some disagreeances with the Roman Catholic Church; particularly in regards to de fide teachings and the 4 Papal teachings of primacy, spiritual supremacy, temporal supremacy, and infallibility. I, unfortunately, cannot agree to unification until these teachings are amended, or unless the "Anglican Rite" are given an exception.
Anglican
Avid reader

Tutukerala
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tutukerala » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:16 pm

Cill Airne wrote:
Belhorizon wrote:

My too, I personally love the Practice. Telling my sins to my Pastor is very helpful and beatiful

Living Stones
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Living Stones » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:44 pm

Belhorizon wrote:

Too much?
They think you go to confession Too much?
I literally cannot understand why so many millions of people identify as Catholic (or Protestant, or Orthodox, or what have you) without even trying to actually do what their church requires. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Catholics requires to go to confession at least once a year?)
What an insult to martyrs! Some people are literally willing to die for their faith, & others apparently couldn't care less.
If they have so little interest in or disagree so much with the Church they are technically members of, why don't they just leave?
Genuinely trying to do the right thing but stumbling, or being genuinely misinformed, is one thing, but such deliberate disregard for ones own faith really drives me up the wall.
Anti: porn, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, pharmacy, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of rage, contentions, dissensions, heresies, envyings, intoxications, carousing.
Pro: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Galatians 5:19-23
Christian & loyal citizen of Canada.
Erdélyi Magyar származásu.

The United Neptumousian Empire
Minister

Founded: Dec 02, 2014
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby The United Neptumousian Empire » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:49 pm

Luminesa wrote:
The United Neptumousian Empire wrote:Agreed. Undecorated all white churches are an insult to God.

...Do you really mean that? :meh:

It's hard to read sarcasm on the internet, sometimes.

Yes I meant it, although I was exaggerating a bit

Dull undecorated Churches are not worthy of God's greatness.

Agnostic
Asexual Spectrum, Lesbian
Transgender MtF, pronouns she / her

Pro-LGBT
Pro-Left Wing
Pro-Socialism / Communism

Anti-Hate Speech
Anti-Fascist
Anti-Bigotry
Anti-Right Wing
Anti-Capitalism

Political Compass
Personality Type: INFJ
I am The Flood

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:53 pm

Belhorizon wrote:

They shouldn't be, because you're supposed to do that, as a Catholic. Tell them that as Catholics, if they think they don't need to go to God and ask forgiveness for their sins, they've got it all wrong and they need to re-evaluate their spiritual lives.

Meanwhile, don't worry. You're doing the right thing, bud. :hug:
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

The United Neptumousian Empire
Minister

Founded: Dec 02, 2014
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby The United Neptumousian Empire » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:53 pm

You could call me the opposite of an iconoclast

All churches should be magnificent and beautiful, unless such a thing is impossible given available resources.

Agnostic
Asexual Spectrum, Lesbian
Transgender MtF, pronouns she / her

Pro-LGBT
Pro-Left Wing
Pro-Socialism / Communism

Anti-Hate Speech
Anti-Fascist
Anti-Bigotry
Anti-Right Wing
Anti-Capitalism

Political Compass
Personality Type: INFJ
I am The Flood

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Cill Airne wrote:
Belhorizon wrote:
Why not?

As for our Confessional prayers, we say the "Act of Contrition" (This is probably not the correct name. I'm translating from Arabic, which is the language I use.) while the Priest grants absolution in silence. I'm pretty sure that's for the Roman Rite as well since I've confessed abroad as well.
I have some disagreeances with the Roman Catholic Church; particularly in regards to de fide teachings and the 4 Papal teachings of primacy, spiritual supremacy, temporal supremacy, and infallibility. I, unfortunately, cannot agree to unification until these teachings are amended, or unless the "Anglican Rite" are given an exception.

Have you discussed this with a pastor or a spiritual director? You know, because you're becoming Catholic on Easter, right? I think. :unsure:
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Belhorizon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Belhorizon » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:00 pm

Living Stones wrote:
Belhorizon wrote:

Too much?
They think you go to confession Too much?
I literally cannot understand why so many millions of people identify as Catholic (or Protestant, or Orthodox, or what have you) without even trying to actually do what their church requires. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Catholics requires to go to confession at least once a year?)
What an insult to martyrs! Some people are literally willing to die for their faith, & others apparently couldn't care less.
If they have so little interest in or disagree so much with the Church they are technically members of, why don't they just leave?
Genuinely trying to do the right thing but stumbling, or being genuinely misinformed, is one thing, but such deliberate disregard for ones own faith really drives me up the wall.

Yes, we must go to confession once a year; at the least.
I find myself going once every two-three weeks.

The level of spiritual apathy is skyrocketing across Christianity, across all sects. Sad, really.
There's a quote I really appreciated when it showed up in my inbox,

“People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; we drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; we drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated.”
- D.A. Carson

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:10 pm

The United Neptumousian Empire wrote:You could call me the opposite of an iconoclast

All churches should be magnificent and beautiful, unless such a thing is impossible given available resources.

That's what I said: an-aniconist.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Cill Airne
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Airne » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:12 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Cill Airne wrote: I have some disagreeances with the Roman Catholic Church; particularly in regards to de fide teachings and the 4 Papal teachings of primacy, spiritual supremacy, temporal supremacy, and infallibility. I, unfortunately, cannot agree to unification until these teachings are amended, or unless the "Anglican Rite" are given an exception.

Have you discussed this with a pastor or a spiritual director? You know, because you're becoming Catholic on Easter, right? I think. :unsure:

Oh, goodness no. I'm being confirmed in the Church of England at Easter. Anglicans also receive the Creed before confirmation. :) Whilst I admire the Roman Catholic Church a great deal, I don't think my views would quite be accepted there.
Last edited by Cill Airne on Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anglican
Avid reader

Belhorizon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Belhorizon » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:27 pm

Cill Airne wrote:
Luminesa wrote:

Oh, goodness no. I'm being confirmed in the Church of England at Easter. Anglicans also receive the Creed before confirmation. :) Whilst I admire the Roman Catholic Church a great deal, I don't think my views would quite be accepted there.

Oh, we have Heretic Cardinals. One extra heretic wouldn't hurt. :P

I'm kidding, for those with their hands on the pitchforks. Not about the heretic cardinals. Those are real, fortunately for us.

Grand Calvert
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Calvert » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:28 pm

The United Neptumousian Empire wrote:
Luminesa wrote:
...Do you really mean that? :meh:

It's hard to read sarcasm on the internet, sometimes.

Yes I meant it, although I was exaggerating a bit

Dull undecorated Churches are not worthy of God's greatness.

So unless a church decorates itself the way you want it, its ungodly?

Saved...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General