NATION

PASSWORD

The Christian Discussion Thread VI

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
36%
Eastern Orthodox
8%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East , etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
5%
Methodist
3%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
12%
Baptist
11%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, non-denominational, etc.)
10%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
3%
Other Christian
11%

Total votes : 684

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:38 am

The Archregimancy wrote:
Czechanada wrote:
I don't believe that Kingdom of Heaven was that historically accurate.

It wasn't.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/au ... omofheaven

It's not quite as bad as Braveheart - likely the nadir of Hollywood's approach to history - but it's fairly poor history.

Nor is it particularly strong on religion, plot, or entertainment.

The four hour directors cut is much better,

Grand Calvert
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Calvert » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:46 am

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
Grand Calvert wrote:lol you just summed up modern TV/entertainment perfectly. Has anyone else noticed that whenever they put a devout Christian in a TV show they always make them look stupid? Like they'll have an atheist character ask them a question and the Christian character will just blankly stare into space like an idiot

You should watch X-files. I finished an episode in the first season, where a tent revivalist had this kid in his act who could bring people back to life, heal sickness etc. Throughout the episode they portray it as most people think, a hoax, and then at the end you realize...this kid was the real deal.

lol so when they do portray a religious person positively its a crazy tent-revival person
17 year-old Conservative Reformed Baptist
“So when the devil throws your sins in your face and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this: "I admit that I deserve death and hell, what of it? For I know One who suffered and made satisfaction on my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, and where He is there I shall be also!” -Martin Luther

Saved...

Sola Gratia (by grace alone)
Sola Fide (through faith alone)
Solus Christus (in Christ alone)
Sola Scriptura (according to scripture alone)
Soli Deo Gloria (for the glory of God alone)

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:49 am

Grand Calvert wrote:
You should watch X-files. I finished an episode in the first season, where a tent revivalist had this kid in his act who could bring people back to life, heal sickness etc. Throughout the episode they portray it as most people think, a hoax, and then at the end you realize...this kid was the real deal.

lol so when they do portray a religious person positively its a crazy tent-revival person

And the twist is, He's not crazy...get it?

Grand Calvert
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Calvert » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:49 am

The Archregimancy wrote:
It wasn't.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/au ... omofheaven

It's not quite as bad as Braveheart - likely the nadir of Hollywood's approach to history - but it's fairly poor history.

Nor is it particularly strong on religion, plot, or entertainment.

The four hour directors cut is much better,

I liked the battle scenes
“So when the devil throws your sins in your face and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this: "I admit that I deserve death and hell, what of it? For I know One who suffered and made satisfaction on my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, and where He is there I shall be also!” -Martin Luther

Saved...

Grand Calvert
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Calvert » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:50 am

Grand Calvert wrote:lol so when they do portray a religious person positively its a crazy tent-revival person

And the twist is, He's not crazy...get it?

No I get it but my point is that he's still part of a tent-revival movement

Saved...

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:56 pm

Alvecia wrote:
Grand Calvert wrote:Yeah those Left Behind movies just seem so...bizarre. I always try to find good Christian movies but its pretty hard. The best ones I've come across are the ones that aren't overtly and obviously Christian but the ones with subtle Christian undertones

There are some really bad religious movies out there.
The problem is that if you try and make a movies core theme be about a religion you tend to either get completely over the top storylines which would make even the most devout religious person question the plot integrity, or you get rather bland, tedious and boring movies.
It's not just Christians, see International Guerillas.

Edit: Are there any Christian movies you guys have come across that you would recommend?

I found the Passion of Christ quite good. I also liked the "history" channel's series The Bible, although I understand it might not be particularly accurate. I heard good things about The Encounter but found it tackily done and underwhelming, although still powerful.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:58 pm

Diopolis wrote:Fr. Z's probably right. It's stupid enough that it probably won't due too much harm, but it is something that merits an explanation of how the devil really is, because that's a topic that's been neglected and covered up for too long.

Nothing like good old fashioned fire and brimstone. "If you don't believe this about the devil YOU'LL BE COME THE DEVIL! SCARY SCARY!" I jest, but come on Fr. Z,...a priest isn't gonna wind up in hell just because they'd rather talk about the livable faith as opposed to the boogeymen lurking around every corner.

The point is that there is too little preaching and catechesis on this very real danger.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:13 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Alvecia wrote:There are some really bad religious movies out there.
The problem is that if you try and make a movies core theme be about a religion you tend to either get completely over the top storylines which would make even the most devout religious person question the plot integrity, or you get rather bland, tedious and boring movies.

Edit: Are there any Christian movies you guys have come across that you would recommend?

I found the Passion of Christ quite good. I also liked the "history" channel's series The Bible, although I understand it might not be particularly accurate. I heard good things about The Encounter but found it tackily done and underwhelming, although still powerful.

The Passion of Christ was well-done. The Bible series...ehhhhhh...not really sure...
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:16 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Diopolis wrote:I found the Passion of Christ quite good. I also liked the "history" channel's series The Bible, although I understand it might not be particularly accurate. I heard good things about The Encounter but found it tackily done and underwhelming, although still powerful.

The Passion of Christ was well-done. The Bible series...ehhhhhh...not really sure...

It was a guilty pleasure.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:23 pm

And I'm just sitting here enjoying The Life of Brian.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

The Hobbesian Metaphysician
Minister

Founded: Sep 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hobbesian Metaphysician » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:37 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Luminesa wrote:

It was a guilty pleasure.

I personally enjoyed the Moroccan actor who played Satan.
I am just going to lay it out here, I am going to be very blunt.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:51 pm

The Hobbesian Metaphysician wrote:
Diopolis wrote:It was a guilty pleasure.

I personally enjoyed the Moroccan actor who played Satan.

Watching the blow-up about him looking ever so distantly like the president was entertaining. Very entertaining.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:04 pm

Joint declaration of Pope and Patriarch.
Seems mostly alright, except for the opposition to proselytism and the silence on contraception, but I suppose those are to be expected.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:43 pm

Alvecia wrote:
Grand Calvert wrote:Yeah those Left Behind movies just seem so...bizarre. I always try to find good Christian movies but its pretty hard. The best ones I've come across are the ones that aren't overtly and obviously Christian but the ones with subtle Christian undertones

There are some really bad religious movies out there.

While it's not necessarily a Christian movie, I would recommend "The Prince of Egypt" if you haven't seen it. It's an animated Dreamworks movie of the story of Exodus, and it's probably one of my favorite movies of all time.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:25 pm

Diopolis wrote:

Nothing like good old fashioned fire and brimstone. "If you don't believe this about the devil YOU'LL BE COME THE DEVIL! SCARY SCARY!" I jest, but come on Fr. Z,...a priest isn't gonna wind up in hell just because they'd rather talk about the livable faith as opposed to the boogeymen lurking around every corner.

The point is that there is too little preaching and catechesis on this very real danger.

I think there's plenty, and I think the Church is pretty much in the right place focusing on the Livable faith and the avoiding sin, rather than looking for the Devil to come possess you or what not. The Devil cannot spiritually harm Christians.

"My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's."

We need to worry about ourselves more than the Devil.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:26 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Diopolis wrote:I found the Passion of Christ quite good. I also liked the "history" channel's series The Bible, although I understand it might not be particularly accurate. I heard good things about The Encounter but found it tackily done and underwhelming, although still powerful.

Especially since the AD part was mostly fabricated.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:30 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
1. It wouldn't have been the real Church, because for one, their claims to legitimacy doesn't come from the original Scriptures and they don't have origins that can literally be traced back to the original Apostles (In fact, their claims to legitimacy hinge upon their claim that the Apostles/Jesus came to them secretly and told them things only the most "spiritually advanced" could understand. Of course, there is no evidence for either of these claims, and Gnostic texts have been proven to have been written later than texts accepted by the Church as True Scripture.)

(1) They do claim to have come from the Apostles.
http://freelyreceive.net/metalogos/files/thomas.html

(2) If you mean if they actually come from the Gospel, then there is no proof that any of the current gospel comes from the Apostles either.

The argument, then, remains circular in its denying legitimacy to the Gnostic/Neoplatonist.

2.Greek Liturgy is preserved as part of Church tradition because for the majority of the Church's life for nearly two thousand years this is how it was done. If you want any real connection to Early Christianity, that at the very least is one. But even then, there are Orthodox Churches who have the Liturgy in English, and the vernacular of other countries. Would you say that the U.S banning slavery was "muddying the waters" of what makes a true American? After all, the Founding Fathers did it. Any change made to Church tradition or teaching has been done by Church Councils by the successors of the Apostles, just like the Apostles themselves did in the New Testament in Acts Chapter 15 at the Council of Jerusalem.

America is not a purveyor of eternal truths, it is a nation, the Apostolic Church claims that it is, and not only that, but their traditions are part of these eternal truths, until they are not.

3. It does, actually. Bishops, Deacons and Elders are named. And what if I told you both in Catholicism and Orthodoxy there actually are Women-led ministries? They're simply not ordained clergy.

Wrong.

http://www.gotquestions.org/clergy-and-laity.html

4. So, your point is moot. A lot of your points are based off of biased misconceptions of Church history and a Protestant-centric view of Sola Scriptura, which didn't exist in Christianity until Luther came along nearly 1500 years later.

The point was that you have no proof that these traditions existed since ancient times, and I provided examples of more modern traditions (celebration of Easter and Christmas on those days they are currently celebrated) as examples of traditions that are new, and whose history we know relatively well, but which we celebrate anyways.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:40 pm

-deleted-
Last edited by Nationes Pii Redivivi on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:41 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:
Buddhism.

Most of it is justification via a certain reading of the Bible, when the Bible can admit a different, less incredible interpretation.

Okay, what denomination of Buddhism do you adhere to?

Mahayana

Also, what do you mean by 'a certain reading'?

Let's use the example of Matthew 16:19, which Catholics take to mean that Peter was given the keys to rightly interpreting scripture which is passed down through the Popes as the successor of Peter, and, by proxy the Church, which is founded upon Peter, the Rock, some will argue that, in the previous verse, the rock there means 'little rock' for the 'big rock' that is Jesus, which other argues is a misreading of the Greek, mistaking Koine Greek for Attic Greek. Other argue that the Rock is not Peter himself, but the statement he makes, ' Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.' in Matthew 16:16, which by proxy, means it is not Peter the person that Jesus found his Church on, but that sincere statement of faith, and that the faith, itself, is the Rock, and Peter is called Peter now because of his rock-like faith.

1. Oh that certainly is rich. And you're saying Catholicism makes fantastical irrational claims about the universe? Yeah, ok.

I don't believe that Buddhism has ever claimed that its clergy can magic a divine being into bread and booze.

2. I can make the bible justify the mass murder of all people if I really wanted, turn Jesus into a terrible war Lord if I so desired. It's not about what interpretation is less this or that it's about what interpretation is right.

And we usually think that an interpretation is right if it (1) adheres to the text and (2) that is conforms to reality as we currently know it. That is why most Christians don't literally accept that Pi is equal to three.

The Eucharist does not make sense and is only tentatively supported by scripture.
Last edited by Nationes Pii Redivivi on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:26 pm

2. I can make the bible justify the mass murder of all people if I really wanted, turn Jesus into a terrible war Lord if I so desired. It's not about what interpretation is less this or that it's about what interpretation is right.

And we usually think that an interpretation is right if it (1) adheres to the text and (2) that is conforms to reality as we currently know it. That is why most Christians don't literally accept that Pi is equal to three.

The Eucharist does not make sense and is only tentatively supported by scripture.

No, we don't. I wouldn't say that virgin births, water spontaneously being transformed into wine, people with various ailments and disabilities being spontaneously healed, exorcisms, raising the dead, rising from the dead, or ascending into Heaven 'conform to reality as we currently know it.'
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:38 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Okay, what denomination of Buddhism do you adhere to?

Mahayana

Also, what do you mean by 'a certain reading'?

Let's use the example of Matthew 16:19, which Catholics take to mean that Peter was given the keys to rightly interpreting scripture which is passed down through the Popes as the successor of Peter, and, by proxy the Church, which is founded upon Peter, the Rock, some will argue that, in the previous verse, the rock there means 'little rock' for the 'big rock' that is Jesus, which other argues is a misreading of the Greek, mistaking Koine Greek for Attic Greek. Other argue that the Rock is not Peter himself, but the statement he makes, ' Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.' in Matthew 16:16, which by proxy, means it is not Peter the person that Jesus found his Church on, but that sincere statement of faith, and that the faith, itself, is the Rock, and Peter is called Peter now because of his rock-like faith.

1. Oh that certainly is rich. And you're saying Catholicism makes fantastical irrational claims about the universe? Yeah, ok.

I don't believe that Buddhism has ever claimed that its clergy can magic a divine being into bread and booze.

Most PEOPLE don't think that Pi is equal to three. It's not, it's 3.1514...you know what I mean.

And what if I were to tell you that reincarnation does not make sense? Buddhists believe in reincarnation, right?
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:25 pm

1. A. They do claim to have come from the Apostles.
http://freelyreceive.net/metalogos/files/thomas.html

B.If you mean if they actually come from the Gospel, then there is no proof that any of the current gospel comes from the Apostles either.

The argument, then, remains circular in its denying legitimacy to the Gnostic/Neoplatonist.

2.America is not a purveyor of eternal truths, it is a nation, the Apostolic Church claims that it is, and not only that, but their traditions are part of these eternal truths, until they are not.

3.Wrong.

http://www.gotquestions.org/clergy-and-laity.html

4.The point was that you have no proof that these traditions existed since ancient times, and I provided examples of more modern traditions (celebration of Easter and Christmas on those days they are currently celebrated) as examples of traditions that are new, and whose history we know relatively well, but which we celebrate anyways.

1. A. That's what I said?

B. Considering the current New Testament books have been dated to the Apostolic period it is very likely that they are written by the Apostles and those who worked with them. Gnostic texts have been dated as being written later. Which is why the Apostolic Church cobbled together the New Testament the way it is as opposed to adding Gnostic texts.

2. I honestly have no idea what you're even talking about there.

3. Because that is a trustworthy source, being a Protestant site with clear bias. Nevermind that it's clearly basing its points on Sola Scriptura (again, something that didn't exist in the Early Church, which is rather ironic considering what you are arguing).

4. I find it funny that you use the word "modern" and "new" for practices that have been done for over a thousand years.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:41 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Mahayana

Most PEOPLE don't think that Pi is equal to three. It's not, it's 3.1514...you know what I mean.

And what if I were to tell you that reincarnation does not make sense? Buddhists believe in reincarnation, right?

Interestingly enough, the bible doesn't actually say that pi is equal to three. It gives some dimensions that work out to pi as three, fair, but it doesn't give the thickness of the container's rim.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:45 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Mahayana

~3.1416 actually.

I know, pedantry.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:46 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Mahayana

Isn't it kind of hypocritical to state that reincarnation does not make sense while believing in the resurrection of Christ?
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General