NATION

PASSWORD

Fish Shall Not Be Eaten

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bolrieg
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bolrieg » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:17 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Bolrieg wrote:Death by 1000 readings of the OP's threads.

Making them read 1 IM thread would be acceptable. 1000 is too much.

Well they're very strict parents with harsh punishments.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:18 pm

Sino nations wrote:Religion should not prohibit any eating food.

I would agree with you.

Gim
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:18 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Gim wrote:I am assuming we are talking about Christianity?
Imposing restrictions on food eating is preposterous in that God tells us in an early part of Genesis that a man should subdue all creatures. I cannot post the verse because I am on mobile. My apologies.

No this is a hypothetical religious code

I'm actually not aware of any religion that disallows fish-eating, they might exist though

I'm pretty sure it's pork-eating.
All You Need to Know about Gim
Male, 17, Protestant Christian, British

Blakullar
Senator

Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:20 pm

The Hobbesian Metaphysician wrote:
Blakullar wrote:No to all questions provided. Suddenly declaring food 'unclean' with the only evidence of uncleanliness being a thousand-year old piece of paper, and then banning your child from eating it on that basis, is on an entirely new level of stupid.

Actually no things like this aren't created within an instant.

(Example) The Jains didn't decide to adopt veganism within a fortnight. So I fail to see how it could possibly be stupid.

Let's use the fish example given in the OP for this. Apart from the holy scripture of this hypothetical religion, what evidence is there to suggest that fish is 'unclean'? Even the semantics of the declaration is questionable: how is 'unclean' defined? According to the scripture, are all fish diseased (in which case there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary), or did the person who wrote the declaration simply not like fish and wanted to make sure nobody else ate fish?

Having an entire type of food banned because a little bit of old paper says so sounds stupid to me, as the person implementing the ban clearly hasn't made any attempt to approach it empirically.
- - - MECHANOCRATIC RUSSIA - - -
From the dilettante who brought you Worlds Asunder!

Part of the Frencoverse.
Did you know I'm also a website?

NS stats not included.
Yes, I am real. Send help.

Novsvacro
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Novsvacro » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:22 pm

No child is logical enough to comprehend religion, and so you might as well be forcing the kid to swallow penis enlargement pills from Ron Jeremy for all it's worth.
Cuando el amor llega así, de esta manera,
uno no tiene la culpa
quererse no tiene horario
ni fecha en el calendario

Genetics undergrad. Basketball analytics nerd.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:26 pm

Blakullar wrote:No to all questions provided. Suddenly declaring food 'unclean' with the only evidence of uncleanliness being a thousand-year old piece of paper, and then banning your child from eating it on that basis, is on an entirely new level of stupid.

It's not new at all.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The Hobbesian Metaphysician
Minister

Founded: Sep 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hobbesian Metaphysician » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:28 pm

Novsvacro wrote:No child is logical enough to comprehend religion, and so you might as well be forcing the kid to swallow penis enlargement pills from Ron Jeremy for all it's worth.

An incredibly unfair comparison, and frankly stop insulting Ron Jeremy :P.
I am just going to lay it out here, I am going to be very blunt.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:28 pm

Do you see any difference between a religious restriction on a certain food because it's "unclean" despite all evidence to the contrary and a religious restriction on a certain food because the animal it comes from is 'sacred', which cannot be empirically proven one way or the other?
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:35 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Do you see any difference between a religious restriction on a certain food because it's "unclean" despite all evidence to the contrary and a religious restriction on a certain food because the animal it comes from is 'sacred', which cannot be empirically proven one way or the other?

Well, personally I would see both as very problematic

In-outheart
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby In-outheart » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:38 pm

But it is nutritious....

The Hobbesian Metaphysician
Minister

Founded: Sep 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hobbesian Metaphysician » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:39 pm

In-outheart wrote:But it is nutritious....

Depends on the quality of fish to be honest.

Since retrieving it from a lake labeled a severe health hazard by the EPA might be a bad idea.
I am just going to lay it out here, I am going to be very blunt.

Urran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:49 pm

oh boy, another IM thread....
A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it's accepted by a majority.
Proud Coastie
The Blood Ravens wrote: How wonderful. Its like Japan, and 1950''s America had a baby. All the racism of the 50s, and everything else Japanese.

I <3 James May

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
❤BITTEN BY THE VAMPIRE QUEEN OF COOKIES❤

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:08 pm

In-outheart wrote:But it is nutritious....

I would agree with you

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:13 pm

It seems to me that the heart of religion has to do with deeper meanings of life than the everyday observances. Jesus said it is not what goes into a man but what comes out of him that defiles him. Funny Jesus!

There is an emphasis in belonging, when it comes to religion. Re-ligio means tied together, like a bundle of sticks (yes, like fascism). So you do things that identify you as part of the group, including forms of dress, sacred days, and diet. None of which have any deep meaning, they simply show that you belong.

And then people confuse this with salvation and force it upon each other, which is sad.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:17 pm

Someone insisting that the French government did nothing wrong banning non-pork school meals I see.

I wonder what would happen if House Lannister banned the eating of pork and fish?
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:30 pm

I don't believe in forcing dietary restrictions on anyone for any reason other than health. Whether it be a religious person making their kids not eat pork, or a vegan forcing their kid to be vegan. It's just unnecessary.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Nocturnalis
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nocturnalis » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:37 pm

Well, fish do have a high concentration of mercury in their bodies...

And, quite to the contrary, the beliefs are very much scientifically supported; though, admittedly, the people back then weren't savvy to such.

The point is, this sort of dietary restriction (fish in your example, pork in the Abrahamic religions; I will default to pork) do have a logical basis to them, even if the people who wrote these texts didn't understand the full situation of what they were writing about. Firstly, look at what pigs eat. They will eat, quite literally, anything around them, including food scraps, insects and their own feces. As well, the digestive system of the pig differs from that of the cows and other ruminants in that ruminants digest their food over a period of 24 hours through multiple stomachs, allowing them to get rid of excess toxins in the food they consume. Pigs, on the other hand, metabolize food very quickly, in 4 hours, through one stomach. As well, pigs do not perspire, so those toxins the pig consumes are sent straight to its organs and cells. Pigs are the garbage trucks of the natural world, to put it into perspective. The basic nature of the pig does not lend itself well to elimination of toxins, which is why it is 'unclean'. Not sure how much that has changed in present times (well, we do eat pork now, and probably make sure pigs don't eat trash), but that is the basis for the ban on consumption of pork in the times of the Bible and such. In practical terms, this most likely would've come out of many instances of people repeatedly falling ill after consumption of pork, which is just as good a reason as any to not eat the stuff.

This applies to fish as well, as fish are entirely capable of concentrating high levels of toxins, most notably mercury, in their bodies. This phenomena has been scientifically proven, or else all those warnings about the consumption of certain fish are lies. Course, there are plenty other reasons not to consume fish, but mercury poisoning is a pretty good one.

Assuming that these ancient peoples just randomly decided one day to ban the consumption of pork for no reason at all is the height of atheistic arrogance. The invocation of God to justify not eating pork is less a divine order and more an attempt to explain why pork is bad from a people that have no idea why, exactly, it is. Less "God tells us not to eat pork, so don't eat pork" and more "God made pigs unclean creatures, so don't eat their meat".
Last edited by Nocturnalis on Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:46 pm

Why do I feel tha this thread is tied in with [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=358273&p=26444633#p26444633]This one]
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:48 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Why do I feel tha this thread is tied in with This one

Because it is. IM likes to make threads on whatever crosses his attention span. Usually something that deals with Game of Thrones, but not always.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:57 pm

Gim wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
No this is a hypothetical religious code

I'm actually not aware of any religion that disallows fish-eating, they might exist though

I'm pretty sure it's pork-eating.

He's is NOT talking about Christianity!
As a Chrostian, I can confirm that Christianity does NOT ban the consumption of any type of food!
Judaism and Islam (both of which believe in the same God as the Christians do) ban pork and pork products. The Jews also ban shell fish. Judaism and Christianity both follow Genesis, and I think Islam does as well (though don't quote me on that). Before you start the "Christians are evil" rant, get your facts straight!!!
Also Hindus don't eat beef
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:00 pm

I see nothing wrong with the OPs scenario. It is the right of the parent to set the rules their children follow.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:01 pm

Trollgaard wrote:I see nothing wrong with the OPs scenario. It is the right of the parent to set the rules their children follow.

Unless of course it's Muslims families banning pork consumption, in which case cue the 180 Spin.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:05 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:I see nothing wrong with the OPs scenario. It is the right of the parent to set the rules their children follow.

Unless of course it's Muslims families banning pork consumption, in which case cue the 180 Spin.

Who said that? Muslims are free to ban eating pork in their own families. Just not for everyone. Same goes for any religion. They are free to forbid people of their faith from eating x, but it should not be against the law of the land to eat x for everyone.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:08 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Who said that? Muslims are free to ban eating pork in their own families. Just not for everyone. Same goes for any religion. They are free to forbid people of their faith from eating x, but it should not be against the law of the land to eat x for everyone.

IM wrote this brainfart of a thread based on this thread, where alternatives to pork were planned to be removed from a local French school system menu with only side dishes being offered as alternatives if the family could not afford to make their own lunches for children.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:09 pm

If the parent really believed that fish should not be eaten, he made the most ethical decision he could have. Of course, as an authority figure he would have had to have taken into account such things as "did the child know he was eating fish" and "how well has the fish prohibition been explained in the past".
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General