NATION

PASSWORD

Fish Shall Not Be Eaten

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:35 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:
Gauthier wrote:Only if you brainwash them to believe a deity. If you brainwash them into believing any form of religion is backwards deluded bullshit it's ETHICAL. *nod*

tbf there's no need to swing the other direction either. A simple 'some people cannot cope with complete existential loneliness and need an adult imaginary friend, sweetie' would suffice.

Why is it such a big deal if parents want to teach their children about the religion they believe in?

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:35 pm

Jute wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:'And others are into self deceit and extreme emotional masochism. You can usually spot them from a mile off via the horned rimmed glasses and chinese characters for 'monkey ass' tattooed on their arm'

No, not really. It would seem you've successfully deceived yourself into a false sense of moral/worldview superiority, which would explain the inappropriate smugness about your jarring ignorance about everything that isn't or doesn't conform to your worldview.

Actually, I don't believe I have any sort of moral superiority. I don't think there's a moral highground to begin with. I'm just a pompous asshole. ┐(゚~゚)┌
Last edited by Nirvash Type TheEND on Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unreachable.

Krjder
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Krjder » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:35 pm

Thing with religion is that it takes time and realisation. You have to find it yourself. Whilst I think for the same of passing it on, families that are religious should pass it on to their children, but not impose it.

I was born into a Protestant family, it wasn't shoved down my throat but I it was a bit imposed. So I became a bit agnostic at around the age of 12, then, having been at a catholic school, being with catholic friends and actually going through hard times at home, I found my way back into the church, the Roman Catholic Church for that matter, and my faith is stronger because I found the faith myself.
Be polite, write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness.
-Otto Von Bismarck
Embassy App

Nation Type: Direct Democratic Federal Monarchy
Capital: Aastejk
Population: 480,670,500
Current Leadership:
-Emperor Anton IV
-Realm Chancellor Atsūjiri Gyēzashiri
Military:
-1,560,000 Active
-4,750,000 Reserves
Dutch teen, Roman Catholic, socially conservative, economically libertarian. Enjoys; hunting, classical & march music, history and debating.

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dazchan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:39 pm

Unless fish contains some necessary nutrient that cannot be obtained from another source, the parents are not denying their child anything and there is no problem.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:39 pm

Jute wrote:No, not really. It would seem you've successfully deceived yourself into a false sense of moral/worldview superiority, which would explain the inappropriate smugness about your jarring ignorance about everything that isn't or doesn't conform to your worldview.

Actually, I don't believe I have any sort of moral superiority. I don't think there's a moral highground to begin with. I'm just a pompous asshole. ┐(゚~゚)┌

So the rest of my post was confirmed by you.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:39 pm

Camelza wrote:
tbf there's no need to swing the other direction either. A simple 'some people cannot cope with complete existential loneliness and need an adult imaginary friend, sweetie' would suffice.

Why is it such a big deal if parents want to teach their children about the religion they believe in?

Because there is no reason for a young girl to be shot in the face for demanding access to a higher education.
Unreachable.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:40 pm

Camelza wrote:Why is it such a big deal if parents want to teach their children about the religion they believe in?

Because there is no reason for a young girl to be shot in the face for demanding access to a higher education.

Remember, the Pakistani Taliban represent every single Muslim in the world!
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:44 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Because there is no reason for a young girl to be shot in the face for demanding access to a higher education.

I'm not saying don't try to bait me. All I ask is the courtesy of a little effort.
Unreachable.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Camelza wrote:Why is it such a big deal if parents want to teach their children about the religion they believe in?

But because there is a reason to believe that this has anything to do with that? Because this totally doesn't happen in less religious places based on things like "race", ethnicity, immigrant status, social class etc.?
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:47 pm

Gauthier wrote:

I'm not saying don't try to bait me. All I ask is the courtesy of a little effort.

Bullshit. "Because there is no reason for a young girl to be shot in the face for demanding access to a higher education" in a thread about a hypothetical religion forbidding the eating of fish is clearly meant to imply that it's standard Islamic practice to shoot girls who want higher education like Malala Yousafzai in the face.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:50 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:I'm not saying don't try to bait me. All I ask is the courtesy of a little effort.

Bullshit. "Because there is no reason for a young girl to be shot in the face for demanding access to a higher education" in a thread about a hypothetical religion forbidding the eating of fish is clearly meant to imply that it's standard Islamic practice to shoot girls who want higher education like Malala Yousafzai in the face.

That's merely your misbegotten extrapolation.

My point is that religion can too easily be abused.
Unreachable.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:53 pm

Australian Republic wrote:
Diopolis wrote:There are however a handful of cultural groups that have a strong taboo on fish. A member of the somali diaspora, for example, might enforce that particular taboo(which would be harmless, considering it's perfectly possible to have a balanced diet without fish).

A culture is NOT a religion

I know, but cultural rights might be considered equivalent in this sense, and it is a conceivable way this scenario could happen.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Palakistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Palakistan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:55 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:What was the punishment?

that is up to your imagination

if you answers varies based on the extent of the punishment, you can elaborate contextually

IF the punishment was beating I would say no no no no no.

IF it was just saying "Don't do it again please," I'm fine with that. Many parents would do the same to their children for eating candy when they weren't supposed to, or eat GMO's when they are strictly non-gmo, or eat meat when they are a vegan family. Parents have a right to how they feed their children.
My stats are frozen at 10%
I annoy lots of people with my views. Sorry abou' that.

Your worst In Character enemy should be your best Out Of Character friend.
- to you who said that: genius!

Eastern Equestria
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eastern Equestria » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:55 pm

Gauthier wrote:

That's not a good reason to condemn something.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:57 pm

Palakistan wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
that is up to your imagination

if you answers varies based on the extent of the punishment, you can elaborate contextually

IF the punishment was beating I would say no no no no no.

IF it was just saying "Don't do it again please," I'm fine with that. Many parents would do the same to their children for eating candy when they weren't supposed to, or eat GMO's when they are strictly non-gmo, or eat meat when they are a vegan family. Parents have a right to how they feed their children.

As long as they don't deny them some vital nutrient. Of course, in this day and age in the US, it's difficult to construct a diet that does that of necessity.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:58 pm

Gauthier wrote:

And of course atheism was designed to be explicitly abuse-proof amirite? It's convenient you're using one instance of radical violence as proof that all religion can be abused identically.

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:01 pm

I recall adding "as long as there is no child abuse" to my original post.
Besides, you should not generalise, not all religious people are violent nuts - not even the majority.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:02 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:That's merely your misbegotten extrapolation.

And of course atheism was designed to be explicitly abuse-proof amirite? It's convenient you're using one instance of radical violence as proof that all religion can be abused identically.

Well I'm not an athiest, so I can't really speak for them, but if you really want we can draw out a chart with athiesm on one side and the big 3 on the other, and jot down instances of widespread violence and human rights violations for each. My guess is that it's going to come out a bit lopsided.
Unreachable.

Palakistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Palakistan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:02 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Palakistan wrote:IF the punishment was beating I would say no no no no no.

As long as they don't deny them some vital nutrient. Of course, in this day and age in the US, it's difficult to construct a diet that does that of necessity.

Haha, true.

Prezelly
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Prezelly » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:04 pm

Gauthier wrote:

Well I'm not an athiest, so I can't really speak for them, but if you really want we can draw out a chart with athiesm on one side and the big 3 on the other, and jot down instances of widespread violence and human rights violations for each. My guess is that it's going to come out a bit lopsided.

If its all three on one side, of course it would.
If you set it up as four sectors rather than two with believes in a deity or not and start from after atheism took some people under its wing, it'll be fairly even
All opinions are accepted as long as they are the right one
Political Compass
Economic Right: 2.0
Social Authoritarian: 0.7

ISTP personality type

Palakistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Palakistan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:05 pm

Gauthier wrote:

Meh, not really. Atheism hasn't been around long enough to kill more people than religion has. Atheism has undoubtedly killed tens of millions, not including all the aborted children, which is another 1.5 billion.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:05 pm

Palakistan wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Well I'm not an athiest, so I can't really speak for them, but if you really want we can draw out a chart with athiesm on one side and the big 3 on the other, and jot down instances of widespread violence and human rights violations for each. My guess is that it's going to come out a bit lopsided.

Meh, not really. Atheism hasn't been around long enough to kill more people than religion has. Atheism has undoubtedly killed tens of millions, not including all the aborted children, which is another 1.5 billion.

metagaming

reported
Unreachable.

Italios
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Italios » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:07 pm

Palakistan wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Well I'm not an athiest, so I can't really speak for them, but if you really want we can draw out a chart with athiesm on one side and the big 3 on the other, and jot down instances of widespread violence and human rights violations for each. My guess is that it's going to come out a bit lopsided.

How? Source, please?

By the way, properly executed abortions are not killing. If they're preformed after a specific age, they are. But when the "child" is a fetus, it's not. :)
Issue Author #1461: No Shirt, No Shoes, No ID, No Service.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Palakistan wrote:

I'm not sure atheism is itself to blame for the abortion holocaust.

The Hobbesian Metaphysician
Minister

Founded: Sep 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hobbesian Metaphysician » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:17 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Palakistan wrote:Meh, not really. Atheism hasn't been around long enough to kill more people than religion has. Atheism has undoubtedly killed tens of millions, not including all the aborted children, which is another 1.5 billion.

I'm not sure atheism is itself to blame for the abortion holocaust.

Oh this is going to go down great I can just tell right now.
I am just going to lay it out here, I am going to be very blunt.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General