NATION

PASSWORD

Was Napoleon Good?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Was Napoleon good or bad?

Good
46%
Bad
14%
Who was Napoleon?
5%
Both
35%

Total votes : 168

The United Holy German Reich
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Was Napoleon Good?

Postby The United Holy German Reich » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Good evening. Tonight I wish to hear your opinions on the topic I shall present now.
I remember a few years ago and as I sat studying for my test,the discussion my class had was about Napoleon. In class we had debates about whether or not Napoleon stuck true to the revolutionary ideals or betrayed them during his reign. After hearing both sides of the argument it has been hard to fall on either side. Although, he can be argued good or bad, I believe he was the right leader for the time. Napoleon was able to bring the stability and the strength that France needed at that time. Napoleon brought the country economic stability, social mobility, religious freedom as well as making France a strong military force. Even with the things I have listed many could say he still betrayed the ideas of the French Revolution, but it makes one begin to wonder even though he betrayed the ideals of the French Revolution is it okay because he made France a stronger country?

I'm looking for opinions with facts, not mindless statements.
"A reigning party never censures itself, and the people have been tutored to vote under two senseless standards, gaudily painted over with the two words 'Federalist and Republican,' repeated, and repeated, without having any meaning, or conveying any information." - John Taylor

"What an impudent farce it is for the arrogant leader of a party to prate about equality, to call himself a democrat, the friend of that liberty which will never fall till ambitious men like himself make themselves, by arts always stale, yet always formidable, stronger than the laws." - Fisher Ames

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:09 pm

He spread the ideals of the Revolution abroad, and ensured they would remain in France (he was the only real alternative to royalist counter-revolution at that time).

He may have betrayed some of the ideals of the Revolution on the surface, but he was necessary to protect the rest of them.
Greater Ardokian Empire | It is Ardoki's destiny to rule the whole world!
Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic

Head of State: Grand Emperor Alistair Killian Moriarty
Head of Government: Grand Imperial Chancellor Kennedy Rowan Coleman
Legislature: Imperial Senate
Ruling Party: Imperial Progressive Party
Technology Level: MT (Primary) | PMT, FanT (Secondary)
Politics: Social Democrat
Religion: None
Personality Type: ENTP 3w4

The Texan Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Texan Union » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:09 pm

Good.

Fact: He made France important. Now they aren't.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
-Thomas Jefferson

Pro: Human Decency, Books, Movies, The X-Files, Art, Science, Liberty, Happiness, and Astronomy.
Anti: Abortion (Exceptions to this), U.N., E.U., N.A.T.O., The Walking Dead, Extremism, Idiocy (Feminism), and Doubt.

I'm a 16-year-old Caucasian male from Texas. I'm a non-denominational Christian. INFJ personality type. Brownish-blonde hair, blue eyes. I love to read. Politically annoyed. Possible insomniac. Fear of doctors. I hate physical interaction, unless it's with someone I know pretty well. I love rainy days and clear nights. That's about it.

Beaucoup
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Beaucoup » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:10 pm

He helped America gain independence, and America nowadays.. Napoleon is bad.
Beaucoup is a Class N14 Civilization; Tier 4, Type III, Superpower rank government.
We are Brits who rule France in a personal union.

New Grestin wrote:Re-Concentration camps, Gauth.

We're rebranding. It's what the kids do these days.

The Felnian Colonies wrote:"We are the Capitalist. Lower your tariffs and surrender your economic policies. We will add your cultural and societal distinctiveness to our own. Your people will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

Eastern Ukraine is
.Russian Land Full.
of Russian People.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:10 pm

He wasn't the ideal leader, but given the time period and the alternatives, he was good. He undid a lot of the insanity of the french revolution, and unlike the other leaders of Europe, Napoleon actually seemed to care about the people he ruled. I don't think any other leader in Europe at the time was as tolerant of religion or cultural differences.

He brought war and destruction to Europe, but considering his opponents, I would say he was a good leader.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Gim
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:11 pm

The Texan Union wrote:Good.

Fact: He made France important. Now they aren't.

Yes, good, for making France a powerhouse. I don't see how wars can be bad, if Napoleon was pretty successful in them. :p
All You Need to Know about Gim
Male, 17, Protestant Christian, British

The United Holy German Reich
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Holy German Reich » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:12 pm

Beaucoup wrote:He helped America gain independence, and America nowadays.. Napoleon is bad.

America became independent before Napoleon was even in power. He did sell much of the Midwest to us in the Louisiana Purchase though.
"A reigning party never censures itself, and the people have been tutored to vote under two senseless standards, gaudily painted over with the two words 'Federalist and Republican,' repeated, and repeated, without having any meaning, or conveying any information." - John Taylor

"What an impudent farce it is for the arrogant leader of a party to prate about equality, to call himself a democrat, the friend of that liberty which will never fall till ambitious men like himself make themselves, by arts always stale, yet always formidable, stronger than the laws." - Fisher Ames

Nickel Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Corporate Bordello

Postby Nickel Empire » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:13 pm

His swath of destruction across Europe was all necessary to restore France to her former glory. He was good on that.
Purple Tory with some Right-Wing Populism
"Every nation has the government it deserves." Joseph de Maistre
"First feelings are always the most natural." King Louis XIV of France
Trademark: Agent Orange Is a Protest Violent? Code: Reaganomics
"Don't tickle the Nickel." https://imgur.com/5KfGQGt

Telintar
Attaché

Founded: Jul 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Telintar » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:13 pm

Good? No. Great? Yes.

The things he did were "Great" in the size, scale, and magnificence of his undertakings. But was he necessarily a good person? No.
"Killing civilians isn't collateral damage, it's striking at the next generation for the next war." -Kromm Lundgrenn, 2nd Emperor of Telintar

Daburuetchi
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Daburuetchi » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:13 pm

Imperialism is bad m'kay?

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:14 pm

Rusozak wrote:He wasn't the ideal leader, but given the time period and the alternatives, he was good. He undid a lot of the insanity of the french revolution, and unlike the other leaders of Europe, Napoleon actually seemed to care about the people he ruled. I don't think any other leader in Europe at the time was as tolerant of religion or cultural differences.

He brought war and destruction to Europe, but considering his opponents, I would say he was a good leader.

Almost all the wars Napoleon was involved in (save for about 2, if my memory is correct - Spain and Russia) were started by others (led by Britain).

Saying he brought war and bloodshed across Europe is just wrong. Even before he came to power, the Coalitions had been trying to destroy the ideals of the Revolution. Only when Napoleon started winning those wars (even before he came to power), did he become the bloodthirsty aggressor in people's minds.

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:14 pm

The United Holy German Reich wrote:
Beaucoup wrote:He helped America gain independence, and America nowadays.. Napoleon is bad.

America became independent before Napoleon was even in power. He did sell much of the Midwest to us in the Louisiana Purchase though.

I think he was joking. :p

The Isolationist State Of Islam
Diplomat

Founded: May 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Isolationist State Of Islam » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:15 pm

That's false. Napoleon came to power in 1789.
The American Revolution ended 1783.
Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
An armed, and educated populous is essential to the integrity, and well being of a nation.
I Side With Marc Allan Feldman
Our current industrial society is unsustainable. It will either advance at expense to our freedom, or collapse.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:15 pm

Depends on whether you are French or not. Which seems to be in line with what people are saying above.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

The Dragon Realms Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dragon Realms Empire » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:16 pm

Napoleon I was one of if not the Greatest Leader France ever had.
..()_()
.(o - o) /\
...|.....\/...\
...|......\vvv\
...|.)|.)(..)===<<<

Emperor of Confederacy of the North, Delegate of Iron Arena, Postmaster General of Nation States
Currently reading The Story of Civilization. Currently playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms for the NES, and Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Final Mix for the PS4.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:16 pm

Ardoki wrote:
Rusozak wrote:He wasn't the ideal leader, but given the time period and the alternatives, he was good. He undid a lot of the insanity of the french revolution, and unlike the other leaders of Europe, Napoleon actually seemed to care about the people he ruled. I don't think any other leader in Europe at the time was as tolerant of religion or cultural differences.

Almost all the wars Napoleon was involved in (save for about 2, if my memory is correct - Spain and Russia) were started by others (led by Britain).

Saying he brought war and bloodshed across Europe is just wrong. Even before he came to power, the Coalitions had been trying to destroy the ideals of the Revolution. Only when Napoleon started winning those wars (even before he came to power), did he become the bloodthirsty aggressor in people's minds.

A majority were, yes. However, Napoleon was too ambitious. He could have settled on ruling just half of Europe and consolidated his holdings, making France too powerful to be threatened further. But Napoleon extended his reach too far and brought about more wars of conquest.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Beaucoup
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Beaucoup » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:17 pm

Gim wrote:
The United Holy German Reich wrote:America became independent before Napoleon was even in power. He did sell much of the Midwest to us in the Louisiana Purchase though.

At least you get it.

But seriously, Napoleon may have burnt down a lot of Europe, but in the end, it gave the rest of Europe something to unite against. The alliance didn't last long, but it was there :P
Beaucoup is a Class N14 Civilization; Tier 4, Type III, Superpower rank government.
We are Brits who rule France in a personal union.

New Grestin wrote:Re-Concentration camps, Gauth.

We're rebranding. It's what the kids do these days.

The Felnian Colonies wrote:"We are the Capitalist. Lower your tariffs and surrender your economic policies. We will add your cultural and societal distinctiveness to our own. Your people will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

Eastern Ukraine is
.Russian Land Full.
of Russian People.

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:18 pm

Ardoki wrote:He spread the ideals of the Revolution abroad, and ensured they would remain in France (he was the only real alternative to royalist counter-revolution at that time).

He may have betrayed some of the ideals of the Revolution on the surface, but he was necessary to protect the rest of them.

Which ideals of the revolution did he preserve exactly? He replaced the old monarchy with his own, and it ultimately became little different than the other royal families.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:18 pm

Ardoki wrote:Almost all the wars Napoleon was involved in (save for about 2, if my memory is correct - Spain and Russia) were started by others (led by Britain).

Conquering and reorganizing most of Eastern Europe, placing his family members on foreign thrones, and his atrocities in Spain also lent to that image.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Beaucoup wrote:
Gim wrote:

At least you get it.

But seriously, Napoleon may have burnt down a lot of Europe, but in the end, it gave the rest of Europe something to unite against. The alliance didn't last long, but it was there :P

Napoleon should have existed during the World Wars. He could have single-handed driven Germany out from the French territory. :p

Daburuetchi
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Daburuetchi » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:20 pm

Gim wrote:
Beaucoup wrote:At least you get it.

Napoleon should have existed during the World Wars. He could have single-handed driven Germany out from the French territory. :p

His tactic of shoot a volley and then run up to the enemy and try to stab them wouldn't have gotten him very far

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:20 pm

Should Napoleon be reunited with his penis?
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:21 pm

Salus Maior wrote:Depends on whether you are French or not. Which seems to be in line with what people are saying above.

For those who were liberated (conquered) by him, they were better off. The ideals of the Revolution were spread across Europe, greatly liberalising the very conservative and aristocratic kingdoms.

Rusozak wrote:
Ardoki wrote:Almost all the wars Napoleon was involved in (save for about 2, if my memory is correct - Spain and Russia) were started by others (led by Britain).

A majority were, yes. However, Napoleon was too ambitious. He could have settled on ruling just half of Europe and consolidated his holdings, making France too powerful to be threatened further. But Napoleon extended his reach too far and brought about more wars of conquest.

That option was not available to him.

Even when he defeated the Coalition forces, again and again. They would always start another war against him the next year, like clockwork. In his diary, Napoleon wanted peace but knew he would not get it from the Coalitions. The only option available to him was to decisively defeat those states and put friendly governments in charge, otherwise there would be a cycle of wars which would eventually ware France down; which ultimately did occur.

Furry Alairia and Algeria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:21 pm

Ardoki wrote:He spread the ideals of the Revolution abroad, and ensured they would remain in France (he was the only real alternative to royalist counter-revolution at that time).

No, he betrayed the ideals of the revolution by making himself dictator, establishing his family members of rulers, re-establishing slavery in Haiti, and having his head in the clouds so high you couldn't even see his chin.
In memory of Dyakovo - may he never be forgotten - Дьяковожс ученик

I do not reply to telegrams, unless you are someone I know.

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:21 pm

Daburuetchi wrote:
Gim wrote:

His tactic of shoot a volley and then run up to the enemy and try to stab them wouldn't have gotten him very far

Of course, with his exceptional brain, he could have devised military strategies, which are more in align with the timeline.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General