NATION

PASSWORD

The NationStates Feminist Thread II

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:34 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:How much damage has this done?

While I advocate heavily for a gender-neutral approach to sexual assault, I have to wonder how much damage this story has done, especially now that the jury has reached the position that Malice was involved.

I'm not stupid enough to think that people aren't going to use this as a classic example of Patriarchy, or as all the evidence they need to say that every time someone claims rape in college it's a lie.

So why do it? Why would you claim to support Feminism, like the writer did, and then turn around and do this.

Because feminism isn't about equality anymore, it's about power and control.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Stellonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Stellonia » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:45 pm

Knask wrote:
Galloism wrote:If they're this tiny minority, how did they get the gender neutral rape law in india replaced with a sexist one?

Yeah, one of the worst countries in the world to be born a woman is a feminist hellhole with radical feminists running everything. India is absolutely the country we want to hold up as an example of how feminists have ruined everything good.

Yeah. Feminist-run India, where a whopping 12 % of lawmakers are women, and where they'll outlaw marital rape aaaaaany day now. India. Yeah.

A testament to the fact that some feminists just don't give a shit about gender equality. If the Indian feminist groups cared so much about genital mutilation, rape, child marriage, or any other compelling issues facing their country, they wouldn't devote so much of their energy to anti-male initiatives.

By the way, Knask, I wonder what your position is on laws that acknowledge female-on-male rape.

Konarus
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Konarus » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:50 pm

"The NationStates Feminist Thread II"

"Feminist"

UH OH.

/tag
Last edited by Konarus on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Member of the SOPWHKTNTPBHNIWTP
IRL PROs and ANTIs

PRO
Pro-LGBT, Pro-Gun, Pro-Life, Palestine, Socio-Capitalism, Kasich, The Donald

ANTI
Despotism, Syria, Israel, North Korea, Stupidity, Westboro Baptism, Hillary

Bits: I am a 15 year old, wehraboo, conspiracy theorist, paranoid, animal loving, military interested, conservative leaning twit.

Economic Left/Right: 1.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.74
NS stats are burrshit

OOC News: Nation and nation factbooks are undergoing massive revamp.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:12 pm

Giovenith wrote:
Knask wrote:Yeah, one of the worst countries in the world to be born a woman is a feminist hellhole with radical feminists running everything. India is absolutely the country we want to hold up as an example of how feminists have ruined everything good.

Yeah. Feminist-run India, where a whopping 12 % of lawmakers are women, and where they'll outlaw marital rape aaaaaany day now. India. Yeah.

Tell me again how you're supposed to be tearing down our negative perceptions?

They aren't. They're just contributing to it, unfortunately.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Liberonscien
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberonscien » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:56 pm

Stellonia wrote:What's with the word "herstory"? Some feminists, I'm afraid, need to learn about the etymology of the word. It is not a portmanteau of the words "his" and "story," but rather a derivative of the Greek and Latin words for "inquiry."

I said something about this earlier, thanks for expanding on it.
No real signature for now besides the preceding text and the following punctuation.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:18 pm

Stellonia wrote:What's with the word "herstory"? Some feminists, I'm afraid, need to learn about the etymology of the word. It is not a portmanteau of the words "his" and "story," but rather a derivative of the Greek and Latin words for "inquiry."

Answer: Stupidity

Charmera
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Charmera » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:33 pm

Yeah. There are a lot of cases where people have been doing things like that...
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:And here, we see a wild Shittonicus Charactericus, coloquially known as Charmera, in its natural habitat. It seems to be displaying behavior expected from one of its kind, producing numerous characters and juggling them with its front paws.

Imperial--japan's Witchy Friend.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:33 pm

Charmera wrote:

Yeah. There are a lot of cases where people have been doing things like that...

Womyn for example.

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:03 pm

From what i understand it's not quite what they're going for.
It's a pun about correcting percived bias not necessary that the name really is a reflection of that bias.
#NSTransparency

Manchuria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Manchuria » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:05 pm

It's honestly more than just etymology. It's how people perceive the word as well, and the new meanings and associations the word has as perceptions evolve.
tiandi
georgetown sfs

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:07 pm

Manchuria wrote:

It's honestly more than just etymology. It's how people perceive the word as well, and the new meanings and associations the word has as perceptions evolve.

This is why I think etymology lessons should be mandatory.

Manchuria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Manchuria » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:29 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Manchuria wrote:It's honestly more than just etymology. It's how people perceive the word as well, and the new meanings and associations the word has as perceptions evolve.

What I'm saying is that it's not just a matter of etymology or knowing it. The word will still look and seem like what it looks like to many people.
tiandi
georgetown sfs

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:34 pm

Manchuria wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

What I'm saying is that it's not just a matter of etymology or knowing it. The word will still look and seem like what it looks like to many people.

I understood that. I suggest the mandatory etymology lessons so that society can avoid this. As far as I can tell the people that believe the word 'history' to be a representative of males trying to do something, what they think the word represents I have no idea, but I can say with safety that they are being stupid for doing so.

In summary, stick with the original dictionary definition and research a words etymology.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:38 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Charmera wrote:Yeah. There are a lot of cases where people have been doing things like that...

Womyn for example.

I ever see that on a paper I have to mark when I'm a prof I'll deduct a shit ton of marks.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:41 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Womyn for example.

I ever see that on a paper I have to mark when I'm a prof I'll deduct a shit ton of marks.

I'd reprimand them and subtract points.
Words are after all, rather important, and I see no reason to change a word for the fact that it contains the word 'man' within.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:45 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:I ever see that on a paper I have to mark when I'm a prof I'll deduct a shit ton of marks.

Words are after all, rather important, and I see no reason to change a word for the fact that it contains the word 'man' within.

Not to mention that if women's collective ego and self-esteem were to be ruptured by having "man" or "men" in the word, then perhaps there is a valid reason to having a patriarchal system. Thankfully, most women are not offended by such a thing and don't give a single toss.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:47 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

Not to mention that if women's collective ego and self-esteem were to be ruptured by having "man" or "men" in the word, then perhaps there is a valid reason to having a patriarchal system. Thankfully, most women are not offended by such a thing and don't give a single toss.

When they suggested that they should change the word because it contains the word man, they simply supplied misogynists with a reason not to let women have voices.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:03 am

Napkiraly wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Womyn for example.

And get booted from the faculty after the local feminist group gets whipped up into a mouth-frothing frenzy.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:05 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:I ever see that on a paper I have to mark when I'm a prof I'll deduct a shit ton of marks.

And get booted from the faculty after the local feminist group gets whipped up into a mouth-frothing frenzy.

Not if I am at an American university with tenure. :-)

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:08 am

Napkiraly wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

Not if I am at an American university with tenure. :-)

Tenure has already been failing to protect several "offensive" professors in America.
Last edited by Giovenith on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:15 am

"Herstory" is featured in the Black Lives Matter website. Check it out for yourselves. It was apparently founded by three lesbian marxist radical feminists. Explains a great deal of the dogmatism and stupidity of the organization. So when you see a word like that, you might want to wonder why it is used--what it signifies, and what those who use it politically intend. This organization demonstrates that part of the goal of intersectionarlity is actually to dominate conversations and direct people's thoughts.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Manchuria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Manchuria » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:17 am

New Edom wrote:"Herstory" is featured in the Black Lives Matter website. Check it out for yourselves. It was apparently founded by three lesbian marxist radical feminists.

I can understand how you might be against Marxism and feminism (since you can disagree with them), but are their sexual orientations really a problem?
tiandi
georgetown sfs

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:33 am

Napkiraly wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Womyn for example.

Just correct it and treat it as you would any other spelling error.

I support gender neutral language like "spokesperson" or singular "they," but "womyn" or "wymyn" is just pointless. Having the letters "man" included in both the words "man" and "woman" doesn't insult anyone. It just means the two words are related. If the "wo" has some kind of problematic etymology behind it, then we should come up with an unrelated word, or one that replaces "wo" with a different pre-fix, not just a variant spelling with the same etymology. "Womyn" isn't removing any gender bias; it's just changing the language for the sake of changing it. It's like bra-burning. Just a way of attention-whoring without making a legitimate point.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:56 am

USS Monitor wrote:

I support gender neutral language like "spokesperson" or singular "they," but "womyn" or "wymyn" is just pointless. Having the letters "man" included in both the words "man" and "woman" doesn't insult anyone. It just means the two words are related. If the "wo" has some kind of problematic etymology behind it, then we should come up with an unrelated word, or one that replaces "wo" with a different pre-fix, not just a variant spelling with the same etymology. "Womyn" isn't removing any gender bias; it's just changing the language for the sake of changing it. It's like bra-burning. Just a way of attention-whoring without making a legitimate point.

The etymology behind it goes back to Old English. Wifmann was the original spelling and men were originally wermann - mann alone originally was gender neutral. Overtime, wer got dropped and mann came to refer to male humans. However, this did not occur for women. Wifmann would evolve over time to become woman. There is no problem behind it.

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:02 am

USS Monitor wrote:

Why do we have to?
Previous Profile: Minzerland
Donkey Advocate & Herald of Donkeydom
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General