NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates' Transgender Thread II

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:15 pm

Aphryss wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:Chunky. Heels.

It depends. Like these are super cute, but these just look like solid blocks, they're really ugly.

Yeah. Open top combined with chunky heels is horribly unbalanced. Boots are best.

If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:22 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Aphryss wrote:It depends. Like these are super cute, but these just look like solid blocks, they're really ugly.

Yeah. Open top combined with chunky heels is horribly unbalanced. Boots are best.

When did "gay" become synonymous with "super sexy?"

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:24 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:Yeah. Open top combined with chunky heels is horribly unbalanced. Boots are best.

Because everyone who sees me in them can tell I'm a flaming lesbo? (Admittedly the flannel probably helps too.)
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:06 pm

Aphryss wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:Yeah, and it's worse for heels.

Oh man, I'm conflicted about heels. I'm not sure if I like them or not. I guess I like some of them? Plus I know they're painful and hard to walk in.

You might have to shop around more if you want to look pretty and feminine without wearing heels, but it can be done. There are some really nice flat-soled women's boots out there.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:12 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:

Because everyone who sees me in them can tell I'm a flaming lesbo? (Admittedly the flannel probably helps too.)

I wish people could tell that I'm a flaming lesbo. :p Although considering I'm femme, I'm not sure that would be possible or desirable.

Aphryss
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aphryss » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:13 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Aphryss wrote:Oh man, I'm conflicted about heels. I'm not sure if I like them or not. I guess I like some of them? Plus I know they're painful and hard to walk in.

You might have to shop around more if you want to look pretty and feminine without wearing heels, but it can be done. There are some really nice flat-soled women's boots out there.

I think if I were to define it down, I like some heels (not too high) but I don't like stilettos. Flatter is generally more practical, but there's no reason to go completely flat ... and no reason to be completely practical 100% of the time. ;)
Make Pepes Rare Again ... by killing them on sight!
Memes are a flavourless soy-based humour substitute for boring people.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:32 pm

Torsiedelle wrote:Hi.

Just, well, popping in. I don't really have much to discuss. Still feel kind of weird, I guess? I don't give this much thought nowadays, though I guess I do find myself kind of casually/offhandedly thinking like a woman more than a man, of that makes sense? I dunno, I'm weird. Anyways, hi again.

Hey again. :) Never hesitate to discuss with any of us, either here or in TG. And if you don't feel much overt distress about gender stuff, that's fine. There's no right way to be trans. You don't even have to transition, if you don't want to. How you proceed is all up to you.

Aphryss wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:Chunky. Heels.

It depends. Like these are super cute, but these just look like solid blocks, they're really ugly.

Holy shit, that first pair is gorgeous.

The second is just ew. :P

Linux and the X wrote:
Aphryss wrote:It depends. Like these are super cute, but these just look like solid blocks, they're really ugly.

Damn, I love these. I want them. D:

Linux and the X wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:

xD I have to say, flannel on girls is really hot. Cute butch girls ftw!

I mean, I'm not sexually interested in the vast majority of girls (I'm androsexual and panromantic), but still. Super hot. (I've joked many times that I wish I were a lesbian -- for context, I present publicly as a gay man, since I haven't transitioned yet.)

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:Because everyone who sees me in them can tell I'm a flaming lesbo? (Admittedly the flannel probably helps too.)

I wish people could tell that I'm a flaming lesbo. :p Although considering I'm femme, I'm not sure that would be possible or desirable.

Join a roller derby club. :P

Seriously though, it looks like a really fun sport. I'm a wimp so I'd probably die, but I enjoy watching it.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:34 pm

Aphryss wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

I think if I were to define it down, I like some heels (not too high) but I don't like stilettos. Flatter is generally more practical, but there's no reason to go completely flat ... and no reason to be completely practical 100% of the time. ;)

I give practicality a high priority when it comes to clothes, but it is nice if you can find something that looks good too.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:50 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:Join a roller derby club. :P

The WFTDA rules for trans people are pretty decent. HRT is required for tournaments, but not for non-tournament play. They don't require that teams accept trans women (which would be difficult to enforce at best), but they do encourage it.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:55 pm

...I need more cute shoes. Clearly.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:56 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:Join a roller derby club. :P

The WFTDA rules for trans people are pretty decent. HRT is required for tournaments, but not for non-tournament play. They don't require that teams accept trans women (which would be difficult to enforce at best), but they do encourage it.

Honestly that seems like one of the more fair systems that should be used as a template.
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:56 pm

And the less said about the crap rules from that League of Legends tournament the better.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:57 pm

Vassenor wrote:And the less said about the crap rules from that League of Legends tournament the better.

Why's it matter?
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:33 am

Aphryss wrote:W/R/T the number of trans men (I can't be bothered quoting, it's a PITA to edit quotes for the relevant bits on my iPad), my theory is that a woman who assumes masculine roles is seen by society as reaching upwards. So masculine women or butch lesbians stand out less than effeminate men, who are seen as reaching downwards. If that makes sense. Pronouns and things in that paragraph are a mess, but you get what I mean.

I don't think this is really true, or at least hasn't been in my experience. Women who are genuinely gender-nonconforming (i.e. as opposed to the "thin, white, conventionally attractive but maybe has short hair or something" images that are the conventional and nonthreatening presentation of female gender-nonconformity) have a very difficult time of it, and are rarely if ever perceived as "masculine", but rather as something like monstrous—and those who are seen as masculine are treated almost as usurpers, and often subject to violence or harassment intended to force them back within a feminine/submissive role. (even if this is only by creating a constant fear of men in order to limit their participation in the public sphere)

I think trans men transition earlier for precisely the opposite reason—it's much more difficult to live as a "masculine" woman than as a man, even a "feminine" one. But what appears to be a higher prevalence of sex dysphoria among trans men also may play a role. Dysphorics rarely ever survive past about twenty without either transitioning or reacclimatising to their bodies some other way. (Often both, in whichever order.)
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:37 am

Czardas wrote:
Aphryss wrote:W/R/T the number of trans men (I can't be bothered quoting, it's a PITA to edit quotes for the relevant bits on my iPad), my theory is that a woman who assumes masculine roles is seen by society as reaching upwards. So masculine women or butch lesbians stand out less than effeminate men, who are seen as reaching downwards. If that makes sense. Pronouns and things in that paragraph are a mess, but you get what I mean.

I don't think this is really true, or at least hasn't been in my experience. Women who are genuinely gender-nonconforming (i.e. as opposed to the "thin, white, conventionally attractive but maybe has short hair or something" images that are the conventional and nonthreatening presentation of female gender-nonconformity) have a very difficult time of it, and are rarely if ever perceived as "masculine", but rather as something like monstrous—and those who are seen as masculine are treated almost as usurpers, and often subject to violence or harassment intended to force them back within a feminine/submissive role. (even if this is only by creating a constant fear of men in order to limit their participation in the public sphere)

I think trans men transition earlier for precisely the opposite reason—it's much more difficult to live as a "masculine" woman than as a man, even a "feminine" one. But what appears to be a higher prevalence of sex dysphoria among trans men also may play a role. Dysphorics rarely ever survive past about twenty without either transitioning or reacclimatising to their bodies some other way. (Often both, in whichever order.)

I think masculine women get less shit than feminine men.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:54 am

Linux and the X wrote:

Might look into wedges. They tend to be easier to walk in and still look great.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:02 am

Thanks for the support and whatnot.

I guess I really haven't been thinking too much about gender dysphoria and stuff because of other issues that have been going on, like fucking depression and stress. I was seriously about to just freak out and start jumping down someone's throat a few minutes ago because they gave me the wrong tine to do something. I really just want to punch people a lot now. I don't think about my identity too much, because I'm either completely miserable or angry as hell.
Rostavykhan is my Second Nation.
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:12 am

Then again I'm not sure if I can say "more" cute shoes considering the only ones I have are Cosplay shoes rather than real ones.

Like so.
Last edited by Vassenor on Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Aphryss
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aphryss » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:14 am

Torsiedelle wrote:Thanks for the support and whatnot.

I guess I really haven't been thinking too much about gender dysphoria and stuff because of other issues that have been going on, like fucking depression and stress. I was seriously about to just freak out and start jumping down someone's throat a few minutes ago because they gave me the wrong tine to do something. I really just want to punch people a lot now. I don't think about my identity too much, because I'm either completely miserable or angry as hell.

Depression and anxiety are often associated with gender dysphoria, it's true, but they can also be caused by a whole host of other things. It sounds like you'd benefit from counselling. As someone who struggled with anger management throughout my childhood (plus anxiety both social and general, depression, and phobias), I can confirm that it's really worth it. It took me a while to find a good psychologist, but it really has changed my life.

I found this series of videos on retraining your voice, which is useful as a 101 info sort of thing. I've still got not much idea how to start - I've never been much of a singer and I don't even really know what I sound like right now - but it's a good explanation as to what's involved. I guess I just need to find the 100 level prereq, voice training for absolute dummies.

One of my stepsisters is a speech language therapist, assuming coming out to her goes well she may have some pointers.

Current mood: kinda upset/sad I didn't immediately understand the entire theory and muscle manipulations behind altering one's voice. Which, when you put it that way, of course sounds ridiculous. Behind the discouragement that I didn't immediately get it is the fear that I won't be able to do it at all, and I remain resolute that I will not be dictated to by fear. Fear is the mind killer, fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. And I am fucking INDESTRUCTIBLE.
Last edited by Aphryss on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Make Pepes Rare Again ... by killing them on sight!
Memes are a flavourless soy-based humour substitute for boring people.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:32 am

Linux and the X wrote:

I'll take purple combat boots, plox.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:36 am

Torsiedelle wrote:Thanks for the support and whatnot.

:kiss: :hug: I know your feels.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:58 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:Yeah. Open top combined with chunky heels is horribly unbalanced. Boots are best.

I'll take purple combat boots, plox.

Practical, cute, and really freaking gay?
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:06 pm

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:13 pm

Eh, fuck it. Do I really need to eat this month?
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Yootxtlalkaan
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootxtlalkaan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Aphryss wrote:W/R/T the Culture, one of the explicitly stated assumptions underlying the Culture universe is that the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis is not only true but strongly true; language shapes psyche. The Culture's language, Marain, is a constructed language explicitly designed to promote egalitarian thinking. In The Player of Games, the protagonist travels to the explicitly hierarchical and sexist Azad Empire, immerses himself in their culture, starts to think in their language, and his thinking actually changes to be more like theirs.

Huh. That's... actually an odd extension of the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis. Personally, I give the concept some credit, since I think it's definitely conceivable that language shapes the way we think. After all, in translation between languages, there is often a good deal of ambiguity and impreciseness -- Spanish has separate words for the inside and outside of a corner, for instance, whereas English uses the same word for both. Colours are a good example of the hypothesis at work, I think: while russophones would consider light blue and dark blue fundamentally different colours, pre-War japanophones would consider all shades of blue, along with green, a single colour; speakers of Telugu, meanwhile, would conflate green and yellow! This is doubly so for culturally-specific concepts: most anglophones would have difficulty gaining a full understanding of the Japanese concept of kami (神). At the same time, there are alternate explanations for many examples, and I don't think that it can be extended so far as that series would propose.

tl;dr: I'm a nerd who plans to be a linguist. :D

the most interesting example imo is guugu yimithirr, an australian-aboriginal language that uses purely absolute directional terms (north, south etc. rather than left, right etc.)

I do know of several good webcomics starring trans characters, if you're into those. Rain is one of my favourites, and I also enjoy Validation. For something more focused on quirky skits rather than a cohesive story, I like Chaos Life.

i love validation, i'mma have to check out the other ones

anyways i was gonna ask for advice. i have a pretty prominent adam's apple and up until now have been wearing scarves and/or turtlenecks almost all the time, but now it's starting to get too warm for that. any ideas?
confused german trans girl
pro: social justice, lgbt+, feminism, eurofederalism, refugees, secularism, socialism, #blacklivesmatter, fully automated luxury gay space communism
anti: racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, truscum, xenophobia, islamophobia, brogressivism/marxism-meninism, the police

r.i.g. did nothing wrong

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General