NATION

PASSWORD

The Real Core of the Republican Party

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:17 pm

I confess I'm not entirely aware why I'm being argued against so vehemently for having the nerve to say that this (or any) poll should be taken with a grain of salt. If I haven't been clear I apologize, but I don't remember denouncing the survey's findings wholesale, which seems to be the assumption preferred by my opponents. If you systematically refuse to analyze anything other than the survey's results (ignoring its other attributes) I suppose I can't stop you, but that seems like a silly and irresponsible approach to me.

I have my own problems with opinion polling in general, but it's almost impossible (unless you make everything up) for them to not have at least a kernel of truth to them. So yes, there are people out there who believe absurd things about @@politician@@, whether he's a "Kenyan" "Muslim" or a Swedish Baptist. But we would all do well to remember that the people being polled here are the people who wouldn't vote for Obama in a million years anyway. If it wasn't the location of his birth, or his supposed religious background, it would be something else. No one wants to admit "I only vote for guys with R's next to their name," so they're more than happy to latch on to anything they can find to lend credence to their biases.

The reason I say this poll lacks context is because it makes no effort to show the other side of the coin. It fails to remind us that there are Democratic party-liners out there who are prepared to do the exact same thing to Republican politicians. It's almost as if Kos wants us to believe these results exist in a vacuum, and that slavishly following party-line lies or misinformation is the sole province of the Republican voter base.

@TPH, FS: My enthusiasm for these threads usually wanes rapidly once we reach the "one liner" portion of debate. FS, I will admit that questioning the sample size was a bad move on my part, but (curiously) it seems to me as if you both realize that this poll had a political agenda and I find myself wondering just how this is rationalized as acceptable.
Last edited by Melkor Unchained on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I am the Elder King: Melkor, first and mightiest of the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair."

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:18 pm

JJ Place wrote:
If my argument is a fantasy of your mind, than what might exactly be your argument, instead of using a circular argument?

If you want to know what my argument is, try reading my posts in this thread. There aren't that many of them, so it should be a quick and simple task.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Nordicus
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordicus » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:19 pm

JJ Place wrote:If my argument is a fantasy of your mind, than what might exactly be your argument, instead of using a circular argument?

Let's start with how you claim "true" capitalism would make it difficult for monopolies to form, when history shows rather pointedly that this is NOT the case; see the Robber Barons of the early 20th century in America as perhaps the best example.
Note: I am an atheist. If I say something supportive of a religion, it's because I try to be fair and even-handed, not because I am a follower of that religion.
H N Fiddlebottoms VIII wrote:Engineers hate biology, because it has very few right angles. Everything is all curves and bumps and the only penis-shaped items are actual penises.

Dregruk wrote:
Kma2 wrote:How else could it be that they are so uneducated regarding what is going on in America.

Same as anyone else; I slaughter gibbons and frolic in their blood. Or just, y'know, disagree with you.

Tsaraine wrote:Somewhere in Philadelphia, one school administrator has just smacked another school administrator upside the head. "Damnit, Jenkins! I told you we should just have gone with chastity belts!"

Biblical Creation

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:22 am

Muravyets wrote:Without commenting on other posters in this thread, I believe we may rely on what we've seen here as attacks on the poll to be a preview of what we are going to get from the likes of Beck and Limbaugh soon enough, down to the word and detail.

you know, the uniformity of the right's responses to, well, everything really does confuse me. like, i joke about 'being on the mailing list' or whatever, but seriously, it's hard to get normal people so organized. it sort of scares me.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:33 am

Free Soviets wrote:
Muravyets wrote:Without commenting on other posters in this thread, I believe we may rely on what we've seen here as attacks on the poll to be a preview of what we are going to get from the likes of Beck and Limbaugh soon enough, down to the word and detail.

you know, the uniformity of the right's responses to, well, everything really does confuse me. like, i joke about 'being on the mailing list' or whatever, but seriously, it's hard to get normal people so organized. it sort of scares me.

Meh, its not hard, Just tell them the invisible Sky Fairy will be pissed at them, and all the sudden you have as many organized "normal" people as you need, :?

Iron Chariots
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Iron Chariots » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:20 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:

Meh, its not hard, Just tell them the invisible Sky Fairy will be pissed at them, and all the sudden you have as many organized "normal" people as you need, :?

It also helps when you drive out all the people who aren't batshit insane extremists.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.13

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:22 pm

Iron Chariots wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:

It also helps when you drive out all the people who aren't batshit insane extremists.

Indeed, although, I cant help feeling like alot of the time, the people in the party who arent batshit extremists, still agree with their end-goals just not their extreme way of attaining them, making it a bit of a moot point...

Iron Chariots
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Iron Chariots » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:26 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Iron Chariots wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:

Indeed, although, I cant help feeling like alot of the time, the people in the party who arent batshit extremists, still agree with their end-goals just not their extreme way of attaining them, making it a bit of a moot point...

Or, they disagree with their ends-goals in that they think they go too far or whatever, but either trick themselves into thinking that their extremists really aren't that extreme or tell themselves that even if they are, there's no way that they'll be able to implement the more extreme versions of their goals and will instead implement the less extreme ideas, that is, the ones that said normal people want.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.13

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:27 pm

Iron Chariots wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Iron Chariots wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:

Or, they disagree with their ends-goals in that they think they go too far or whatever, but either trick themselves into thinking that their extremists really aren't that extreme or tell themselves that even if they are, there's no way that they'll be able to implement the more extreme versions of their goals and will instead implement the less extreme ideas, that is, the ones that said normal people want.

Thats just crazy, :lol2:

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General