NATION

PASSWORD

Whitesplaining

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Yedmnrutika Gavr wrote:racial privilege? whitesplaining? :lol: u sound really butthurt and actually arrogant. many of the rights u have today are the direct result of non-africans choosing to march with mlk and a mostly "white" legislative body. it was in fact necessary and you are disgracing their sacrifice to say otherwise. that truth might sound condescending but at least indiscriminate.

That wasn't a helpful thing to post.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Hyfling
Minister

Founded: May 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hyfling » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:32 pm

Kubra wrote:Which potential supports? You?
Cuz idk about you but it seems like what BLM did was successful in getting Bernie to talk about race and address the issues of the black demographic. That's victory, man.

1 step forward, 2 steps back.

West Dixieland
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby West Dixieland » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:35 pm

Only if I make blacksplaining a thing. For when I want to discredit someone's opinion on race alone.
Modern Times/Near Future nation, following the collapse and subsequent balkanization of the former United States and North America, in Texas and it's immediate neighbors. Check out my factbook, I put time into them.

Texan, currently applying to TAMU hoping to major in some form of Liberal Arts. Recreational shooting enthusiast, history buff, flag collector, and right-libertarianish. I'm not well-versed in real life experience, so if we're arguing/debating/discussing, I'm open to listen. I like good conversation, TG me.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:35 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:It is what you said. Telling people not to open fire with a machine gun is telling them how to conduct themselves.

Because using aggressive language is equivalent to slaughtering people. :roll:

Both are part of how people conduct themselves, and you didn't specify which you were talking about.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:36 pm

West Dixieland wrote:Only if I make blacksplaining a thing. For when I want to discredit someone's opinion on race alone.

I doubt anyone's going to lose sleep over not discussing race with you.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Hyfling
Minister

Founded: May 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hyfling » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:37 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Kubra wrote: Which potential supports? You?
Cuz idk about you but it seems like what BLM did was successful in getting Bernie to talk about race and address the issues of the black demographic. That's victory, man.

Right?

Like, seriously, the only people I've seen "turned away" from the BLM movement were people who were already against it.

Just seems to me support for BLM on this forum has declined markedly since the Sanders incident.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:39 pm

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
It is what you said. Telling people not to open fire with a machine gun is telling them how to conduct themselves.

How about in the case where you are segregated and forced into ghettos in your own countries?

It might be justified depending on the conditions in the ghettos and how strictly enforced the segregation is, but PS didn't specify the severity of oppression he was talking about. My example of shooting up a mall because you don't like the security guards is entirely consistent with what he said, even if it's not what he had in mind.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:39 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
And they would probably know even less about how it works in the U.S.

If they're American originally? Or if they've been in the US for a long time?

Telling someone else, "That doesn't happen to you people," is not kosher, but talking about how to handle a particular form of discrimination when it is something you've had to deal with yourself is entirely reasonable, even if you aren't the same race and it didn't happen to you in the same place. Same as it's wrong for white people to tell black people what does or doesn't happen to them in the US, it's wrong to tell a white person they have no relevant experience just on the basis of their race without asking about their background. In both cases you're telling someone that you know more about their own life than they do.

Let's say a white man goes into some country with a reverse apartheid system. They have white people ghettoized, white people can intermarry with the exploiting race, white people are deprived of any gainful economic opportunity, white people are forced to learn the language of their oppressor, etc.

The white fella comes back to America, and tells people about his experience in that country. Does that mean he is an expert on all form of racial oppression, that he can speak about it in every instance- no, it really doesn't, because however horribly he suffers in that bizzarro country, his experience only permits him to speak about what happens in that country, the oppression of white people there, whereas he has no idea how black people are being oppressed here. So, let's say he makes the ignorant comment, 'I know discrimination, I've been to X country, and black people aren't oppressed in any way.' Having been away, and see a form of discrimination, he has no reason to be speaking about discrimination and oppression as it is practice here, another form.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:40 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Hyfling wrote:If that's what they were trying to do, they did a pretty crap job of it.

Unless turning potential supporters away from their movement was the goal?

Perhaps this may be enlightening.

BLM won't be getting my support after recent events like that and the "pigs in a blanket".
Last edited by Geilinor on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:40 pm

West Dixieland wrote:Only if I make blacksplaining a thing. For when I want to discredit someone's opinion on race alone.

The Confederate battle standard in your flag really makes your views on racial issues raaaather obvious... at least, easy to assume.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:41 pm

Geilinor wrote:

BLM won't be getting my support after recent events like that and the "pigs in a blanket".

Didn't know about that second one. Lulz. Good stuff.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Tafhan
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Tafhan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:42 pm

So, you can't possibly understand a concept rooted in another culture because of the color of your skin? Bullshit.
|We are few, but we are bitter|

A Theocracy done the right way ( almost ) all of the time.
We are not a Muslim nation
OOC
My nation does not necessarily represent my irl views…kinda.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:43 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Geilinor wrote:BLM won't be getting my support after recent events like that and the "pigs in a blanket".

Didn't know about that second one. Lulz. Good stuff.

http://www.startribune.com/pigs-in-a-blanket-chant-at-minnesota-fair-riles-police/323479961/

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:43 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:
How about in the case where you are segregated and forced into ghettos in your own countries?

It might be justified depending on the conditions in the ghettos and how strictly enforced the segregation is, but PS didn't specify the severity of oppression he was talking about. My example of shooting up a mall because you don't like the security guards is entirely consistent with what he said, even if it's not what he had in mind.

I don't know PS, with hir suspiciously Teutonic name, but I am going to guess that hir argument would be that the guard isn't oppressing you, he is just protecting valuables in the mall against any threat. That there are legal avenues if the guard is, in fact, harassing you. Et cetera.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:43 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Didn't know about that second one. Lulz. Good stuff.

http://www.startribune.com/pigs-in-a-blanket-chant-at-minnesota-fair-riles-police/323479961/

Yeah, I looked it up. That's pretty amusing.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:45 pm

It makes perfect sense for "blacksplaining" to be a word, but I don't trust you to use it responsibly. You'll probably just whip it out every time a black person has an opinion, even if they're talking about their own experience or telling you something backed by statistical evidence.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:45 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

Yeah, I looked it up. That's pretty amusing.

Sure, we'll see how amusing that is when someone kills a police officer - like some individuals have.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:46 pm

Tafhan wrote:So, you can't possibly understand a concept rooted in another culture because of the color of your skin? Bullshit.

The argument seems to be that you can't fully understand the experience of another race if you have never had that experience, and, therefore, have no basis on which to present to that race their own experience, rather, it makes that race silent by making having a member of the oppressing race speak for them, to them, tell them how they really are, etc.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:47 pm

Behinaye wrote:
New Grestin wrote:I believe the person that isn't reading is you.

There is no historical precedent to indicate superiority of the Caucasian race. Prior to the conquests of Gengis Khan and his successors, Middle-Eastern and Asian cultures were technologically and intellectually dominant. Europeans were simply the only ones left standing afterwards to fill the massive power vacuum.

And for the record, don't presume Marxism based on the fact that someone pointed out you're racist. It's terribly unprofessional.

It's not unprofessional, it's a known fact by those who haven't been brainwashed by Marxism or Cuckservatism. Remember the British, French and Spanish Empires? Yeah fucking beat the shit out of every native they saw. Thanks to S U P E R I O R T E C H N O L O G Y

Which was invented by other, non white cultures. Namely the Chinese.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:47 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Yeah, I looked it up. That's pretty amusing.

Sure, we'll see how amusing that is when someone kills a police officer - like some individuals have.

You do realize I am an anarchist, Geil?

West Dixieland
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby West Dixieland » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:48 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

The Confederate battle standard in your flag really makes your views on racial issues raaaather obvious... at least, easy to assume.

Honestly now, I'm only proud of my home region.
I absolutely do not judge based on ethnicity, merely culture and character.
But hell if I can talk, that'd be whitesplaining.
Last edited by West Dixieland on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modern Times/Near Future nation, following the collapse and subsequent balkanization of the former United States and North America, in Texas and it's immediate neighbors. Check out my factbook, I put time into them.

Texan, currently applying to TAMU hoping to major in some form of Liberal Arts. Recreational shooting enthusiast, history buff, flag collector, and right-libertarianish. I'm not well-versed in real life experience, so if we're arguing/debating/discussing, I'm open to listen. I like good conversation, TG me.

Redsection
Minister

Founded: Jan 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Redsection » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:48 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

:eyebrow:
and that my kids is called a stereotype.
[*]National Syndicalist
[*]Soon to join the American Blackshirt Party
[*]Majority European, Native American ancestry, latino heritage
[*]Anti: Globalism , Communism , Nazism, Satanism
[*]Pro: Fascism, Guns Rights, Militias

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:49 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Behinaye wrote:It's not unprofessional, it's a known fact by those who haven't been brainwashed by Marxism or Cuckservatism. Remember the British, French and Spanish Empires? Yeah fucking beat the shit out of every native they saw. Thanks to S U P E R I O R T E C H N O L O G Y

Which was invented by other, non white cultures. Namely the Chinese.

No, let's give credit where credit is due- the Europeans were able to make use of Chinese technology and provide critical innovations to make them effective as they were...partially because the rest of the world was busy trying to fend off the Mongols.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:49 pm

West Dixieland wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:The Confederate battle standard in your flag really makes your views on racial issues raaaather obvious... at least, easy to assume.

Honestly now, I'm only proud of my home region.
I absolutely do not judge based on ethnicity, merely culture and character.
But hell if I can talk, that'd be whitesplaining.

A white person talking is not necessarily whitesplaining.

I'm a Southern white without a Confederate battle standard in my flag, as well.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:50 pm

Redsection wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:The Confederate battle standard in your flag really makes your views on racial issues raaaather obvious... at least, easy to assume.

:eyebrow:
and that my kids is called a stereotype.

Eh... I wouldn't really call it a stereotype. Like, if you see someone waving an American flag, you can assume they're pro-America, right? Yeah.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General