NATION

PASSWORD

Whitesplaining

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

West Dixieland
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby West Dixieland » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:50 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
West Dixieland wrote:Only if I make blacksplaining a thing. For when I want to discredit someone's opinion on race alone.

It makes perfect sense for "blacksplaining" to be a word, but I don't trust you to use it responsibly. You'll probably just whip it out every time a black person has an opinion, even if they're talking about their own experience or telling you something backed by statistical evidence.

It's how I can imagine the concept of whitesplaining being used. I've seen it happen.
If you can prove that isn't the case though, I'll reevaluate.
Modern Times/Near Future nation, following the collapse and subsequent balkanization of the former United States and North America, in Texas and it's immediate neighbors. Check out my factbook, I put time into them.

Texan, currently applying to TAMU hoping to major in some form of Liberal Arts. Recreational shooting enthusiast, history buff, flag collector, and right-libertarianish. I'm not well-versed in real life experience, so if we're arguing/debating/discussing, I'm open to listen. I like good conversation, TG me.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:51 pm

West Dixieland wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:The Confederate battle standard in your flag really makes your views on racial issues raaaather obvious... at least, easy to assume.

Honestly now, I'm only proud of my home region.
I absolutely do not judge based on ethnicity, merely culture and character.
But hell if I can talk, that'd be whitesplaining.

"Culture and Character" is usually a code word for "ethnicity". For example, "Hispanic/Black Culture encourages laziness and indolence" or "Asian/Jew culture encourage thrift, miserliness, and practical education" or any number of "statement of cultures" that are just racist statements on ethnicities.

West Dixieland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby West Dixieland » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:53 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
West Dixieland wrote:Honestly now, I'm only proud of my home region.

A white person talking is not necessarily whitesplaining.

I'm a Southern white without a Confederate battle standard in my flag, as well.

Cool story, it's part if your history, call it racist if you really wanna ignore the motives of the war.
I'm not wanting to derail the thread on second thought, this'll go nowhere fast.
Modern Times/Near Future nation, following the collapse and subsequent balkanization of the former United States and North America, in Texas and it's immediate neighbors. Check out my factbook, I put time into them.

Texan, currently applying to TAMU hoping to major in some form of Liberal Arts. Recreational shooting enthusiast, history buff, flag collector, and right-libertarianish. I'm not well-versed in real life experience, so if we're arguing/debating/discussing, I'm open to listen. I like good conversation, TG me.

West Dixieland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby West Dixieland » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:54 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Redsection wrote:
:eyebrow:
and that my kids is called a stereotype.

Eh... I wouldn't really call it a stereotype. Like, if you see someone waving an American flag, you can assume they're pro-America, right? Yeah.

And the flag of the Dixie makes me a racist?

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:55 pm

West Dixieland wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:A white person talking is not necessarily whitesplaining.

Cool story, it's part if your history, call it racist if you really wanna ignore the motives of the war.
I'm not wanting to derail the thread on second thought, this'll go nowhere fast.

Like keeping the N*ggers down.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:55 pm

West Dixieland wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:A white person talking is not necessarily whitesplaining.

Someone's never heard of Alien Space Bats.

I believed as you do, once upon a time. Then, I was drowned in an ocean of reasoning, sources, and hardened, impenetrable logic. *shrugs*
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:56 pm

West Dixieland wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Eh... I wouldn't really call it a stereotype. Like, if you see someone waving an American flag, you can assume they're pro-America, right? Yeah.

Not necessarily. But many racist organizations kind of like that flag. So.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

West Dixieland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby West Dixieland » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:57 pm

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:

"Culture and Character" is usually a code word for "ethnicity". For example, "Hispanic/Black Culture encourages laziness and indolence" or "Asian/Jew culture encourage thrift, miserliness, and practical education" or any number of "statement of cultures" that are just racist statements on ethnicities.

If you've embedded yourself in gang culture, I'll judge you on that.
If you're an upstanding individual and happen to be black, nothing is wrong. At all.
But put words in my mouth and define my meanings for me, that's cool.

West Dixieland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby West Dixieland » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:58 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
West Dixieland wrote:And the flag of the Dixie makes me a racist?

Not necessarily. But many racist organizations kind of like that flag. So.

...and Southerners proud of being Southerners, nothing more, nothing less.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:58 pm

West Dixieland wrote:

If you've embedded yourself in gang culture, I'll judge you on that.
If you're an upstanding individual and happen to be black, nothing is wrong. At all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qHQ-y8ijSY

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:59 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
If they're American originally? Or if they've been in the US for a long time?

Telling someone else, "That doesn't happen to you people," is not kosher, but talking about how to handle a particular form of discrimination when it is something you've had to deal with yourself is entirely reasonable, even if you aren't the same race and it didn't happen to you in the same place. Same as it's wrong for white people to tell black people what does or doesn't happen to them in the US, it's wrong to tell a white person they have no relevant experience just on the basis of their race without asking about their background. In both cases you're telling someone that you know more about their own life than they do.

Let's say a white man goes into some country with a reverse apartheid system. They have white people ghettoized, white people can intermarry with the exploiting race, white people are deprived of any gainful economic opportunity, white people are forced to learn the language of their oppressor, etc.

The white fella comes back to America, and tells people about his experience in that country. Does that mean he is an expert on all form of racial oppression, that he can speak about it in every instance- no, it really doesn't, because however horribly he suffers in that bizzarro country, his experience only permits him to speak about what happens in that country, the oppression of white people there, whereas he has no idea how black people are being oppressed here. So, let's say he makes the ignorant comment, 'I know discrimination, I've been to X country, and black people aren't oppressed in any way.' Having been away, and see a form of discrimination, he has no reason to be speaking about discrimination and oppression as it is practice here, another form.

I already addressed that:

"Telling someone else, "That doesn't happen to you people," is not kosher"

The ignorant comment you're using as an example does exactly that.

When I say "a particular form of discrimination" I mean something like being stared at on the streets or people talking about you like you're not there because they assume you don't understand the language. It has nothing to do with who is the target of the discrimination, just the way it is carried out. If the form is the same, then the experience is relevant, even if one person is a white person who was discriminated against for being white and the other is a black person who was discriminated against for being black. Not everyone who has been discriminated against is going to experience the same forms of discrimination. For example, a black person in the US probably has to worry about people fearing them more than people assuming they don't speak English. For Asian-Americans it might be the other way around. But there will be times when people's experiences overlap, and there's nothing racist or ignorant about offering advice to a person of another race when your experiences overlap with theirs.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

West Dixieland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby West Dixieland » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:59 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
West Dixieland wrote:Cool story, it's part if your history, call it racist if you really wanna ignore the motives of the war.

I believed as you do, once upon a time. Then, I was drowned in an ocean of reasoning, sources, and hardened, impenetrable logic. *shrugs*

Twenty-three words to say " yeah, but I'm smart"

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:59 pm

West Dixieland wrote:If you've embedded yourself in gang culture, I'll judge you on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qHQ-y8ijSY

I'm fucking dead.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Bogdanov Vishniac
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Bogdanov Vishniac » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:00 pm

West Dixieland wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Eh... I wouldn't really call it a stereotype. Like, if you see someone waving an American flag, you can assume they're pro-America, right? Yeah.

It does make you a sympathizer with traitors and their treasonous cause.

Yedmnrutika Gavr
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yedmnrutika Gavr » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:00 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Yedmnrutika Gavr wrote:racial privilege? whitesplaining? :lol: u sound really butthurt and actually arrogant. many of the rights u have today are the direct result of non-africans choosing to march with mlk and a mostly "white" legislative body. it was in fact necessary and you are disgracing their sacrifice to say otherwise. that truth might sound condescending but at least indiscriminate.

The only reason that these rights were in doubt in the first place is because of white people. The rights, according to our system of law, are not given by man, but are inherent. Black people never should have had to argue for equal treatment under the law in the first place, and obviously have every right and reason to speak up when equal treatment is shown to be more of an ideal than a reality nowadays.

actually they would still be fighting for them as they were slaves before they came here. fun fact: slavery still exists in africa and the middle east actually.. xd guess that doesnt matter tho =/ black people here have way more opportunities to do anything. the actual root of the problem is tyranny. can be white, black, average joe or even president bo. its all the same and if i recognize correctly the op is just as good for an example. peace and love to all. even the haters :)

West Dixieland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby West Dixieland » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:01 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
West Dixieland wrote:Cool story, it's part if your history, call it racist if you really wanna ignore the motives of the war.

Like keeping the N*ggers down.

Alright, I'm off to bed

Goodnight y'all, good chat

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:02 pm

West Dixieland wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:The Confederate battle standard in your flag really makes your views on racial issues raaaather obvious... at least, easy to assume.

Honestly now, I'm only proud of my home region.

Dude, it's not just the flag. It's also the stuff you've been posting.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:02 pm

West Dixieland wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Someone's never heard of Alien Space Bats.

...not really. I have totally agreed with you for most of my life. I basically just got pummeled out of that viewpoint, by facts that I'd never accounted for.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:02 pm

Hyfling wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Right?

Like, seriously, the only people I've seen "turned away" from the BLM movement were people who were already against it.

Just seems to me support for BLM on this forum has declined markedly since the Sanders incident.
Man the people denouncing BLM here weren't down with BLM in the first place, as PS said.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:03 pm

USS Monitor wrote:

Dude, it's not just the flag. It's also the stuff you've been posting.

Yeahhhh. That's definitely part of it.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:04 pm

West Dixieland wrote:

Scared of my guns, are you? :p

Tafhan
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Tafhan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:05 pm

Tafhan wrote:So, you can't possibly understand a concept rooted in another culture because of the color of your skin? Bullshit.

The argument seems to be that you can't fully understand the experience of another race if you have never had that experience, and, therefore, have no basis on which to present to that race their own experience, rather, it makes that race silent by making having a member of the oppressing race speak for them, to them, tell them how they really are, etc.

Still, saying "well, you're white, you can't understand it." is kind of diverting the subject.

instead of actually responding to criticism. I don't know what the white person said, exactly, but it all seems like a cheap shot.
|We are few, but we are bitter|

A Theocracy done the right way ( almost ) all of the time.
We are not a Muslim nation
OOC
My nation does not necessarily represent my irl views…kinda.

West Dixieland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby West Dixieland » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:05 pm

Bogdanov Vishniac wrote:
West Dixieland wrote:And the flag of the Dixie makes me a racist?

It does make you a sympathizer with traitors and their treasonous cause.

I sympathize with people, both white and black, both screwed under a slaveholding system under a government lad by a rich, manipulative, and politically powerful elite, who still fought for self-determination when their supposed countrymen burned, starved, looted, and raped them for not the desire to free slaves, but jingoistic power control.
But I said I'd go to sleep, and here I am lying. Sorry guys.

Fjormark
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fjormark » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:07 pm

This is just getting more disgusting by the day. Once again liberals show their immense stupidity by inventing ways to demonise whites because it's acceptable now.

These liberals are obsessed with race, they're the real racists and they don't even know it.

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:07 pm

While an outsider's perspective on any issue is always valuable, I do think there's a case to be made for certain types of approaches from "outsiders" being condescending towards the people whose lives are being discussed, the "outsiders'" perspective being one at least partially derived from ignorant prejudices, rather than a thoughtful, critical analysis.

One could argue that the debates being had in the United States regarding the relationship between African Americans and law enforcement have prominently featured at one point or another some form of what you could call "whitesplaining": non-African Americans condescendingly lecturing others, including African Americans themselves, on whether their grievances are legitimate, and what the true source of their problems are, without actually delving into the lives of African Americans.

Again, not being a member of the community affected by a certain problem does not automatically disqualify you from speaking about that problem or proposing a solution to it. As an outsider, you have the unique opportunity of approaching the problem without any of the "common sense" that permeates the community affected and influences their self-perception. Providing thoughtful commentary as an outsider is not, in itself, "whitesplaining". Providing prejudiced and condescending commentary, however, and using that commentary as a tool to delegitimise the insiders' perspectives in favour of your own, is "whitesplaining".
be gay do crime

I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General