NATION

PASSWORD

Best place for Libertarian colonization?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:11 am

New Grestin wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
Let me find my VooDoo kit and we will see. :p

Can you get Teddy Roosevelt too?

That would be some silly shit.

I might have to break out my C.D.Ward kit for that. 8)
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:11 am

As far away from the rest of civilization as humanly possible.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:13 am

Zottistan wrote:As far away from the rest of civilization as humanly possible.

As soon as we discover sea slugs that poop stem cells the problem will solve itself.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Jeffersonian Oregon
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 04, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Jeffersonian Oregon » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:22 am

Libertarians are already moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project; I'm not so sure that becoming an independent nation is the most popular end result, but it's been mentioned as a possibility before. I think that is one of the better places for colonization by libertarians, particularly for certain types of libertarian.

BK117B2
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby BK117B2 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:26 am

Jute wrote:
BK117B2 wrote:
Certainly very humorous, but not very reasoned.

Certainly you can logically prove it wrong? I mean, surely you will take the time to become familiar with the political theory behind it, and then explain what's wrong with it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Property_is_theft!

Very easily. It blatantly contradicts itself on saying that property is theft on one hand, but that it all ACTUALLY belongs to the state on the other. It claims that everyone accepts their version of a social contract despite the fact that some do not. It claims that armed people assaulting someone who is minding their own business is not initiation of force. This ignores the very meanings of those words.

That piece contains a lot of poorly thought out rambling.

BK117B2
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby BK117B2 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:30 am

Threlizdun wrote:It's truly telling that "libertarians" could possibly associate anything good with the word "colonization".
BK117B2 wrote:
Right now, humanity cannot survive beyond Earth, only visit for short periods.

When the ability to actually survive exists, then the ability for capitalism and a free market will exist.
No, when the ability to survive in space exists, technology would have to have advanced to such a degree that an anachronism such as the capitalist demand for wage labor and private property will be infeasible.

I disagree. Property will become an anacrhonism as soon as every person can have as much of everything they want as they want. There is no indication of that happening anytime even remotely soon.

BK117B2
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby BK117B2 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:32 am

Jute wrote:
BK117B2 wrote:
Taxing in exchange for services provided is fine. I enjoy a number of government services, and I am quite comfortable with the level of taxation needed to sustain them.

This does not alter the fact that there are other people who do not want to participate in such an exchange.

Well, if they don't work, don't live on a property etc. then they don't have many taxes to pay, do they? And if they do, they probably need or enjoy a number of government services again. Even the hermit in the forest can take advantage of the defense and law & order services provided.

That doesn't mean that your "hermit in the forest" chooses to do so. I CAN buy 50 kg of garlic today if I choose, but I do not so choose

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:32 am

I'd say Mars, but we all know it belongs to the Communists.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:33 am

BK117B2 wrote:
Jute wrote:Certainly you can logically prove it wrong? I mean, surely you will take the time to become familiar with the political theory behind it, and then explain what's wrong with it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Property_is_theft!

Very easily. It blatantly contradicts itself on saying that property is theft on one hand, but that it all ACTUALLY belongs to the state on the other. It claims that everyone accepts their version of a social contract despite the fact that some do not. It claims that armed people assaulting someone who is minding their own business is not initiation of force. This ignores the very meanings of those words.

"State". These people are anarchists, they are opposed to the state. So they obviously don't think it belongs to the state either.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

BK117B2
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby BK117B2 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:35 am

Jute wrote:
BK117B2 wrote:

"State". These people are anarchists, they are opposed to the state. So they obviously don't think it belongs to the state either.

Which people are anarchists?

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:35 am

BK117B2 wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Capitalism and the free market cannot survive in space.

You cannot rely upon all the free labor done by the Earth's biosphere. You have to meticulously recreate it in order to just keep breathing. Every aspect of economic activity must be planned or you will die.

When the ability to actually survive exists, then the ability for capitalism and a free market will exist.

Whoever controls your life-support is the de facto state. All economic activity will have to be rigidly planned to conform to the life-support system, whether it is a small space hab, or a gigantic O'Neil Cylinder, or, I cannot emphasize this enough, you will die.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:35 am

BK117B2 wrote:
Jute wrote:Well, if they don't work, don't live on a property etc. then they don't have many taxes to pay, do they? And if they do, they probably need or enjoy a number of government services again. Even the hermit in the forest can take advantage of the defense and law & order services provided.

That doesn't mean that your "hermit in the forest" chooses to do so. I CAN buy 50 kg of garlic today if I choose, but I do not so choose

No, he takes advantage of them, He benefits from it, whether he wants or not. If the country was attacked, the military would protect the state he's living in, and with that, him as well.
The only way he wouldn't would be if he lived in terra nullius.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:36 am

BK117B2 wrote:
Jute wrote:"State". These people are anarchists, they are opposed to the state. So they obviously don't think it belongs to the state either.

Those that I linked to who said "Property is theft".

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:37 am

Mordor.
I am: Cynic, Depressive, Junior in HS, Arizonan, Sarcastic, Wannabe Psychologist, Lover of Cinema and Rum.

Ziggy played guitar....
For ISIS | On Israel and its settlements | Flat Taxes are beneficial for all | OOC, Baby | Probably Accurate.

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 07, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:38 am

Rapture
*nods

BK117B2
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby BK117B2 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:38 am

Trotskylvania wrote:
BK117B2 wrote:

Whoever controls your life-support is the de facto state. All economic activity will have to be rigidly planned to conform to the life-support system, whether it is a small space hab, or a gigantic O'Neil Cylinder, or, I cannot emphasize this enough, you will die.

And having my own life support or getting together with others and building a bigger habitat does not preclude freely exchanging goods or services.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:39 am

Liberty and Linguistics wrote:Mordor.

The Eye of Sauron, is actually just Ayn Rand's vagina.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:41 am

Sun Wukong wrote:
Liberty and Linguistics wrote:Mordor.

The Eye of Sauron, is actually just Ayn Rand's vagina.

I will never be able to unsee that.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

BK117B2
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby BK117B2 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:41 am

Jute wrote:
BK117B2 wrote:

Those that I linked to who said "Property is theft".

Interesting, considering that the thing supports having a state over and over and over

BK117B2
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby BK117B2 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:45 am

Jute wrote:
BK117B2 wrote:

No, he takes advantage of them, He benefits from it, whether he wants or not. If the country was attacked, the military would protect the state he's living in, and with that, him as well.

That's not the hermit taking advantage of something. That's the country voluntarily choosing to provide that protection.

The fact is that being able to do something and actually doing it are two different things.

Other people DO take advantage of government services since they're already being taxed. If someone is already forcibly taking payment, then they figure that they may as well go ahead and take the services

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:50 am

BK117B2 wrote:
Jute wrote:No, he takes advantage of them, He benefits from it, whether he wants or not. If the country was attacked, the military would protect the state he's living in, and with that, him as well.

That's not the hermit taking advantage of something. That's the country voluntarily choosing to provide that protection.

The fact is that being able to do something and actually doing it are two different things.

Other people DO take advantage of government services since they're already being taxed. If someone is already forcibly taking payment, then they figure that they may as well go ahead and take the services

I think your birth already used government services, and your childhood later. As I said, you depend on them. You do not choose to take them, the only way to choose against them is to leave the nation.
BK117B2 wrote:
Jute wrote:Those that I linked to who said "Property is theft".

Interesting, considering that the thing supports having a state over and over and over

What thing?

Meridiani Planum
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Meridiani Planum » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:59 am

The trolls are out in force in this thread.
I shall choose friends among men, but neither slaves nor masters.
- Ayn Rand

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:00 am

Zottistan wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:The Eye of Sauron, is actually just Ayn Rand's vagina.

I will never be able to unsee that.

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase 'burning with lust', too.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

BK117B2
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby BK117B2 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:05 am

Jute wrote:
BK117B2 wrote:

I think your birth already used government services, and your childhood later. As I said, you depend on them. You do not choose to take them, the only way to choose against them is to leave the nation.
BK117B2 wrote:

What thing?

Obviously you are wrong. One need not leave a nation in order to not choose government service

The thing is the typed piece at the end of the link....the 'thing' if you will that we were just discussing

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:09 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:Someone just finished reading Atlas Shrugged.

To get through that book, you'll need to consume more speed than it took for Rand to write it.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General