NATION

PASSWORD

Unemployment Rates in the US Over Time

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Unemployment Rates in the US Over Time

Postby Imsogone » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:28 pm

Interesting to note that how unemployment spread. Any comments on this?
I'm wondering if any of our resident economists, pedagogues, ideologues etc have any explanation as to why the midwest isn't being hit as hard (hard being relative here) and if they have any projections for how recovery will develop.

http://cohort11.americanobserver.net/la ... final.html
Last edited by Imsogone on Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:31 pm

Where I live is over 10%. :geek:
Last edited by Arumdaum on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:33 pm

I was at first asking what the colors represent...but, after watching it, I assume the Purple and Green mean worse...

Its kind of scary to watch the Purples and green slowly take over more and more, and get darker, and spread from both the West, and East Coast towards the middle, :o

But, it doesnt surprise me, Unemployment will rise until you start hiring Americans again, simple as that, if you're hiring in China, Southeast Asia, and Mexico, then you're losing jobs here...

Lord Tothe
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord Tothe » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:35 pm

I saw this a while back. Interesting how the rural areas were more stable than urban, but the cascade affected every area. Remember through that the crash is not where the problem occurred - we should have been paying more attention during the bubbles of the 90's and 00's.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:[...] TLDR; welcome to the internet. Bicker or GTFO.
"Why is self-control, autonomy, such a threat to authority? Because the person who controls himself, who is his own master, has no need for an authority to be his master. This, then, renders authority unemployed. What is he to do if he cannot control others? To be sure, he could mind his own business. But that is a fatuous answer, for those who are satisfied to mind their own business do not aspire to become authorities." ~ Thomas Szasz

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:36 pm

Arumdaum wrote:Where I live is 4.0% to 4.9%. :geek:

Yeah, I found the scale, my browser was cutting it off...My counties actually improved from 5-6% to 4% at the start of the recession, but, within the last year it plummeted to over 9%....

Course, outside the Coast, Mississippi's always been broke, we just recently decided to join it, >_>

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:38 pm

it seems center is better and i should think about moving to Nebraska.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:38 pm

Maurepas wrote:

Yeah, I found the scale, my browser was cutting it off...My counties actually improved from 5-6% to 4% at the start of the recession, but, within the last year it plummeted to over 9%....

Course, outside the Coast, Mississippi's always been broke, we just recently decided to join it, >_>

About over a third of the people who live here are Mexican. :D

That means more Mexican food for us.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:39 pm

Maurepas wrote:

Actually never mind, I watched the video, and it's over 10%. :palm:

My parents are also unemployed here. But then that's because my mom is taking care of my 2-year old sister, and my dad just doesn't feel like working.
Last edited by Arumdaum on Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jubu Jubu Jabu
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jubu Jubu Jabu » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:41 pm

Maurepas wrote:I was at first asking what the colors represent...but, after watching it, I assume the Purple and Green mean worse...

Its kind of scary to watch the Purples and green slowly take over more and more, and get darker, and spread from both the West, and East Coast towards the middle, :o

But, it doesnt surprise me, Unemployment will rise until you start hiring Americans again, simple as that, if you're hiring in China, Southeast Asia, and Mexico, then you're losing jobs here...

Exactly, there need to be almost punitive tariffs on those that outsource. Plain and simple.
Jubu Jubu Jabu wrote:
NationStates 2: DEFCON 'WE'RE SCREWED'! Sequel to the amazingly popular NationStates. Prepare to fire your 'I.G.N.O.R.E.' cannons as this docu-drama explores the ins and outs of Roleplaying warfare. It's Lefties vs. Righties as the gloves have finally come off, exposing your little nerd fingers to the brutality of a keyboard, and wasting your puny brain away on topics like, How do you make being hit in the balls hurt less?!

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:44 pm

Jubu Jubu Jabu wrote:
Maurepas wrote:I was at first asking what the colors represent...but, after watching it, I assume the Purple and Green mean worse...

Exactly, there need to be almost punitive tariffs on those that outsource. Plain and simple.

that is a protectionist measure that would likely result in tariffs on American good.
Basically causing a trade war which will result in the 1930's.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:44 pm

Jubu Jubu Jabu wrote:

Well, idk about that, my thinking is more along the lines of extending subsidies to more agricultural products, and requiring that a company that wants to sell its goods in the United States have to hire X number of people...

They dont have a choice but to sell here, being the largest market and all, and even if they chose not to, it does us the favor of being able to domestically produce/sell them...

They did it with the car companies, and, although it hurt the big three, it prompted Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc., to put factories in the United States...

So, its not a tariff on outsourcing I think, so much as requiring that the foreign companies that flood our markets with their goods also hire our people...

Urzamalandi
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Urzamalandi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:45 pm

In my humble opinion, the recession has been used as an excuse by a lot of companies and cooperations to trim down the workforce not for necessity but for streamlining. The companies where not going to go broke, but they might as well lay off 20% of the workforce endevour to be more efficient and bulk up the bonus and benefits packages for the executives (as publicly demonstrated in the banking sector).

Why have 5 people doing what 2 people can do under threat of further layoffs?
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.28

Brogavia wrote:Start wearing white robes and hand out fliers at college campuses talking about how you have discovered the true path happiness and all that junk.

Jubu Jubu Jabu
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Jubu Jubu Jabu » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:46 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Jubu Jubu Jabu wrote:

Well, idk about that, my thinking is more along the lines of extending subsidies to more agricultural products, and requiring that a company that wants to sell its goods in the United States have to hire X number of people...

They dont have a choice but to sell here, being the largest market and all, and even if they chose not to, it does us the favor of being able to domestically produce/sell them...

They did it with the car companies, and, although it hurt the big three, it prompted Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc., to put factories in the United States...

So, its not a tariff on outsourcing I think, so much as requiring that the foreign companies that flood our markets with their goods also hire our people...

Hmm, good point. A cookie for you sir.
Jubu Jubu Jabu wrote:
NationStates 2: DEFCON 'WE'RE SCREWED'! Sequel to the amazingly popular NationStates. Prepare to fire your 'I.G.N.O.R.E.' cannons as this docu-drama explores the ins and outs of Roleplaying warfare. It's Lefties vs. Righties as the gloves have finally come off, exposing your little nerd fingers to the brutality of a keyboard, and wasting your puny brain away on topics like, How do you make being hit in the balls hurt less?!

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:47 pm

Urzamalandi wrote:In my humble opinion, the recession has been used as an excuse by a lot of companies and cooperations to trim down the workforce not for necessity but for streamlining. The companies where not going to go broke, but they might as well lay off 20% of the workforce endevour to be more efficient and bulk up the bonus and benefits packages for the executives (as publicly demonstrated in the banking sector).

Almost, I would agree about the companies actions, but, really, what they want isnt to not have five people do what 2 could...

But to have 20 sweatshop workers have twice the output for a pittance in comparison in a foreign country...
Last edited by Maurepas on Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:50 pm

Maurepas wrote:Well, idk about that, my thinking is more along the lines of extending subsidies to more agricultural products, and requiring that a company that wants to sell its goods in the United States have to hire X number of people...

I say, that is a good idea. I detest tariffs for it hurts the consumer and corporate welfare irks me, but the mandatory employment is a good idea. :clap:

Urzamalandi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Urzamalandi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:57 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Urzamalandi wrote:In my humble opinion, the recession has been used as an excuse by a lot of companies and cooperations to trim down the workforce not for necessity but for streamlining. The companies where not going to go broke, but they might as well lay off 20% of the workforce endevour to be more efficient and bulk up the bonus and benefits packages for the executives (as publicly demonstrated in the banking sector).

Almost, I would agree about the companies actions, but, really, what they want isnt to not have five people do what 2 could...

But to have 20 sweatshop workers have twice the output for a pittance in comparison in a foreign country...

I'd say equally true but that's not the cause for the increase of unemployment over the last 2 years. Outsourcing has been the cause decreasing employment opportunities over the past years 15 or so.

Brogavia wrote:Start wearing white robes and hand out fliers at college campuses talking about how you have discovered the true path happiness and all that junk.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:07 pm

Urzamalandi wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

I'd say equally true but that's not the cause for the increase of unemployment over the last 2 years. Outsourcing has been the cause decreasing employment opportunities over the past years 15 or so.

I think it simply came to a head in the last two years as a result of the Banking, Auto, and Housing collapses...

With other industries jumping on the bandwagon, as you said, to increase profit margins...

Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Euroslavia » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:09 pm

I've heard some figures about Detroit's unemployment rate reaching to the upwards of 30%. http://detnews.com/article/20091216/MET ... unemployed Count me as one of 'em. It's ridiculously difficult to find a job.
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:10 pm

Euroslavia wrote:I've heard some figures about Detroit's unemployment rate reaching to the upwards of 30%. http://detnews.com/article/20091216/MET ... unemployed Count me as one of 'em. It's ridiculously difficult to find a job.

You're from Detroit? Im sorry, are the rumours of all the major food retailers pulling out true, or exaggerated? Is it the post-apocalyptic scene they display on the news?

Urzamalandi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Urzamalandi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:11 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Euroslavia wrote:I've heard some figures about Detroit's unemployment rate reaching to the upwards of 30%. http://detnews.com/article/20091216/MET ... unemployed Count me as one of 'em. It's ridiculously difficult to find a job.

You're from Detroit? Im sorry, are the rumours of all the major food retailers pulling out true, or exaggerated? Is it the post-apocalyptic scene they display on the news?

Time to buy real estate in Detroit?

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:11 pm

Maurepas wrote:

Total destruction can led to a total rebirth.
I heard people in Detroit are beginning to plant their own food in vacant lots.
Last edited by Zeppy on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Euroslavia » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:20 pm

Maurepas wrote:

It's slightly exaggerated, but it is a pretty grizzly sight.

Zeppy wrote:Total destruction can led to a total rebirth.

The only problem with that is finding someone who is willing to re-create Detroit without being corrupt. Kwame Kilpatrick really screwed us over.
Last edited by Euroslavia on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:24 pm

As opposed to those companies merely laying off people and not hiring anywhere? Our jobs, or no jobs, I see.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Jubu Jubu Jabu
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Jubu Jubu Jabu » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:25 pm

Have you tried... The Oldest Profession? :eyebrow:
Jubu Jubu Jabu wrote:

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:29 pm

Euroslavia wrote:
Zeppy wrote:Total destruction can led to a total rebirth.

The only problem with that is finding someone who is willing to re-create Detroit without being corrupt. Kwame Kilpatrick really screwed us over.

Change parties. Either Green, Lib or Pep. Most likely Green though.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General