NATION

PASSWORD

The NS Mens Rights Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:15 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Camicon wrote:And until someone takes a scalpel to it and carves out what exactly does and does not belong to the various flavours of "feminism", I will continue to hold them all under the banner of the majority opinion.

Can you prove that the majority of feminists feel the way you claim they do? There is a reason we use adjectives to describe things, in particular there are adjectives that can be used to describe which brand of feminism you are talking about.

The effects of the feminist movement on society are known.
Who gives a fuck if it's a majority or not.

Let's say a gang of thugs like the Crips went around beating the shit into people, and that's pretty much all they actually get up to and effect society with.

Then you've got someone saying they are a Crip too, but a moderate who thinks they should do some charity work instead.

Would we sit around debating whether or not we can call the Crips a fucking menace to society just in case the majority aren't insane?

It's fucking pointless. It doesn't matter.
It need to be destroyed either way, and if you're running around a battlefield wearing the enemy colors, I don't give a shit if you get shot and then whine about being a civilian.
Don't dress up as the enemy. You are providing cover for menaces to society. Stop it, or stop whining when you get shot along with them.

Identifying as a feminist means you have invited scorn, ridicule, contempt, and condescension to yourself, because the actual effect of feminism is discriminatory and hateful.

Whether or not you agree with that view, it's important to understand that it's a valid view to have given the circumstances as they currently are.

That in itself, shows that the feminism movement is fucked.

I have zero empathy for """"Moderate"""" feminists who get verbal abuse and vitriol from people.

Don't openly identify as a sexist bigot, then.

People who openly identify as weird segregation era racists get laughed at because they aren't currently fucking over everybody.

Feminists are. So identifying as one of the sources of massive problems in society is going to get you shit.

That's before you get into the actual, practical effects of why identifying as a feminist means you are useless to mens issues, and the mere act of doing it causes sexism against men to persist.

This isn't a case of a movement having some nutters.
It's the case of the nutters running the movement and having institutional power. It's qualitively different. You can't point to morons in the MRM to counter that point. They aren't a menace to society.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:38 pm

Two things I've never understood about the MRM (genuinely looking for honest answers here):

1) Why do many MRM supporters claim it isn't a reactionary group to feminism, when the obverse seems blatantly obvious (i.e: almost every argument in MRM forums is in regards to feminism)

2) Continuing that line of thought, isn't it hypocritical to bash feminism for being almost solely about women, when your own group is almost solely about men. I mean, if this was about egalitarianism, why not call it something like the "Egalitarian Rights Movement" or "Rights for Everyone Movement", rather than the "Men's Rights Movement".

Val Halla
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Val Halla » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:42 pm

Haktiva wrote:
Val Halla wrote:Some people just want attention for their extreme views and will try and use stable ideologies to do this.

like Andrea Dworkin? :p

No idea O_O
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
WOMAN

She/her

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:44 pm

Sanctissima wrote:Two things I've never understood about the MRM (genuinely looking for honest answers here):

1) Why do many MRM supporters claim it isn't a reactionary group to feminism, when the obverse seems blatantly obvious (i.e: almost every argument in MRM forums is in regards to feminism)

2) Continuing that line of thought, isn't it hypocritical to bash feminism for being almost solely about women, when your own group is almost solely about men. I mean, if this was about egalitarianism, why not call it something like the "Egalitarian Rights Movement" or "Rights for Everyone Movement", rather than the "Men's Rights Movement".

1. It isn't reactionary, because that's not what reactionary means. If you asked is the MRM a REACTION to feminism, you'd get mixed answers. Some would say yes, in part, it is. Reactionary means far-right wing and wanting to roll back social progress. Conflating feminism with social progress is the intellectually dishonest maneuver they pull. In addition, they talk a lot about feminism because it is the status quo, and they believe the status quo is sexist against men.

2. No, it isn't. Because feminism claims to be all that is required to fix sexism. The MRM doesn't. It's like a cattle farmer calling bullshit on a turnip farmer for insisting that you only need turnips in your diet to survive.
Further, there are different strains of MRM. I've labeled them arbitrarily here:

Mutualist MRA:
Someone who thinks MRM criicism of feminism will result in a feminism reforming itself and a merger of the movements to be an egalitarian one.

Seperatist MRA:
Someone who thinks MRM criticism of feminism will undermine it's authority and legitimacy leading to it losing it's monopoly on gender relations, at which point the MRM and feminism can co-exist sharing power.

Annihilationist MRA:
Someone who thinks the MRM will have to destroy the feminist movement, which will ultimately result in the collapse of the MRM, at which point a new movement will emerge from the wreckage of both.

In dealing with feminists for years, i've shifted through all three of those to the last one.
I don't think feminism will ever change. I think it needs to be removed from authority. I don't think they are capable of accepting a dualist view. They will never allow their monopoly to be lost, and will always fight to regain it if it is.

We cannot breathe the same air as these people, basically.

But crucially, all three strains of MRM recognize the necessity of work on womens issues too. They just don't think it's their job to do it as MRAs.
Most will identify as WRA/MRA.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Val Halla
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Val Halla » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:45 pm

What is an MGTOW? Is it just a homosexual male MRA?
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
WOMAN

She/her

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Val Halla wrote:What is an MGTOW? Is it just a homosexual male MRA?

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=342956&p=24777686#p24777686

Here you go :)
Ostro.MOV

Val Halla
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Val Halla » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:50 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Val Halla wrote:What is an MGTOW? Is it just a homosexual male MRA?

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=342956&p=24777686#p24777686

Here you go :)

S basically it's radicalism?
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
WOMAN

She/her

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:53 pm

Val Halla wrote:

S basically it's radicalism?

I would argue the first two types are not radicalism. I'd say it's encouraging men to have self-respect and guiding them through a self-esteem and self-worth issues that society pushes on them.

viewtopic.php?p=24779310#p24779310

Is also worth a read. It's a response from an MGTOW. (Ignore the quoted, its my post again.)
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Val Halla
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Val Halla » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:56 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Val Halla wrote:S basically it's radicalism?

I would argue the first two types are not radicalism. I'd say it's encouraging men to have self-respect and guiding them through a self-esteem and self-worth issues that society pushes on them.

Is also worth a read. It's a response from an MGTOW. (Ignore the quoted, its my post again.)

Huh.

Libertarianism always concerns me :?
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
WOMAN

She/her

Haktiva
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:05 pm

Val Halla wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

Huh.

a lot of guys fall into that political spectrum because they want to keep what they earn and want little government intervention. the same guys have pointed out it's idealistic and doesn't take into account human nature.

MGTOW is choosing to opt out of the mating game to one degree or another. some take it as not being married, some don't date, others turn into hermits. it depends on how bad they've been burnt by women or jus society in general, if they've been burnt at all, but the most "radical" guys have been through hell, to put it lightly.
All around disagreeable person.

"Personal freedom is a double edged sword though. On the one end, it grants more power to the individual. However, the vast majority of individuals are fuckin idiots, and if certain restraints are not metered down by more responsible members of society, the society quickly degrades into a hedonistic and psychotic cluster fuck."

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:06 pm

Haktiva wrote:
Val Halla wrote:Huh.

a lot of guys fall into that political spectrum because they want to keep what they earn and want little government intervention. the same guys have pointed out it's idealistic and doesn't take into account human nature.

MGTOW is choosing to opt out of the mating game to one degree or another. some take it as not being married, some don't date, others turn into hermits. it depends on how bad they've been burnt by women or jus society in general, if they've been burnt at all, but the most "radical" guys have been through hell, to put it lightly.

Honestly, libertarian MGTOWs have flat out missed the obvious.

Men make up the majority of homeless people, the majority of suicides, and the majority of victims of crime - by significant margins in all three categories.

Government assistance for the downtrodden should be a major item for anyone who's actually interested in men's issues. They need it more than anybody.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Val Halla
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Val Halla » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:10 pm

Galloism wrote:
Haktiva wrote:a lot of guys fall into that political spectrum because they want to keep what they earn and want little government intervention. the same guys have pointed out it's idealistic and doesn't take into account human nature.

Men make up the majority of homeless people, the majority of suicides, and the majority of victims of crime - by significant margins in all three categories.

Government assistance for the downtrodden should be a major item for anyone who's actually interested in men's issues. They need it more than anybody.

Well I don't like libertarianism for my own reasons, but I do agree with you on this.

The largest (majority) group for suicides or attempted suicides are men in the 41-45 age bracket, iirc.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
WOMAN

She/her

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:11 pm

Galloism wrote:
Haktiva wrote:a lot of guys fall into that political spectrum because they want to keep what they earn and want little government intervention. the same guys have pointed out it's idealistic and doesn't take into account human nature.

Arguably, they might want more charity. I agree with you, it's just.
*Sigh*.
Libertarians, you know?

The ones in the MRM tend to be an agreeable sort who openly say they'd prefer the state intervene in both cases or neither at all. It's the inconsistency that bothers them. Some of them do use that as an argument against state intervention in general, arguing it's always inconsistent and erratic.
Ghost of a point there.

But yeh, i'm against right-libertarianism for the usual reasons.
Ostro.MOV

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:13 pm

Galloism wrote:

Barbarossa talked about this, and I agree. While it would be best if these systems weren't in place(or even needed), there's no point in only having them available for one group of people and nobody else, especially when the taxpayers are paying for it.

"Personal freedom is a double edged sword though. On the one end, it grants more power to the individual. However, the vast majority of individuals are fuckin idiots, and if certain restraints are not metered down by more responsible members of society, the society quickly degrades into a hedonistic and psychotic cluster fuck."

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Haktiva wrote:
Galloism wrote:Honestly, libertarian MGTOWs have flat out missed the obvious.

Barbarossa talked about this, and I agree. While it would be best if these systems weren't in place(or even needed), there's no point in only having them available for one group of people and nobody else, especially when the taxpayers are paying for it.

Right on cue.

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Galloism wrote:Honestly, libertarian MGTOWs have flat out missed the obvious.

Arguably, they might want more charity. I agree with you, it's just.
*Sigh*.
Libertarians, you know?

The ones in the MRM tend to be an agreeable sort who openly say they'd prefer the state intervene in both cases or neither at all. It's the inconsistency that bothers them. Some of them do use that as an argument against state intervention in general, arguing it's always inconsistent and erratic.
Ghost of a point there.

But yeh, i'm against right-libertarianism for the usual reasons.
Ostro.MOV

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:33 pm

The Klishi Islands
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Klishi Islands » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:10 am

Could someone be so kind as to post some of those statistics regarding higher male suicide rates, equal rape/DV rates, etc? I have a feminist friend (non-radical) who is a bit skeptical of the MRA movement.
Economic Center-Left, Social Libertarian. Basically an ebul establishment neoliberal.
The political compass is no longer objective, so I've removed it from my sig. TG me for my specific positions.
"Bullshit is everywhere. There is very little that you will encounter in life that has not been, in some ways, infused with bullshit." ~ Jon Stewart

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open. ~ Unknown

These quotes sum up how I feel about the political climate in America. Let's try to keep the debate healthy, open, and honest

Obexer
Envoy

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Obexer » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:24 am

The Klishi Islands wrote:Could someone be so kind as to post some of those statistics regarding higher male suicide rates, equal rape/DV rates, etc? I have a feminist friend (non-radical) who is a bit skeptical of the MRA movement.

I found two lists on suicide rates. Keep in mind that the gender ratio isn't 1:1 in most nations, but male suicide rates still seem freakishly higher in almost every single country.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... icide_rate
http://list25.com/25-countries-with-the ... the-world/

Gender ratio by country:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _sex_ratio
Last edited by Obexer on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Белая смерть
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Let the jimmies rustle through you. Let them rustle like leaves in the autumn wind.

The Serbian Empire's NS younger brother.
The Serbian Empire wrote:
Obexer wrote:That and cutting my sister's hair while she sleeps.

You want my hair?

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:31 am

The Klishi Islands wrote:Could someone be so kind as to post some of those statistics regarding higher male suicide rates, equal rape/DV rates, etc? I have a feminist friend (non-radical) who is a bit skeptical of the MRA movement.

If you ever need sources, go to the reddit.

here though;

http://pubpages.unh.edu/~mas2/V74-gende ... d%208-.pdf
http://web.csulb.edu/~mfiebert/assault.htm
http://www.law.fsu.edu/journals/lawrevi ... /kelly.pdf

There is domestic violence.

http://time.com/3393442/cdc-rape-numbers/

And there you go on rape.
Ostro.MOV

New Benian Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Benian Republic » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:42 am

That moment when it looks like Scottish men are the most sexually harassed in Europe and possibly the world.
~~~Support Sinn Féinn I guess~~~

~Like all true Irishmen I have no ancestors. I was birthed from Ireland's soil itself, fully formed, like a potato.~
Pro: United Ireland, IRA, Allan Ryan, Palestine, Malvinas, Ukraine, Hamas-Fatah cooperation, legalized Gay marriage, Tibetan Resistance, Basque Separatists, OPM.
Neutral: Bathroom segregation.

Anti: English Imperialism, Nazism, communism, Israel, Zionism, Margret thatcher, Martin McGuinness, good Friday agreement.
I am an Irish Atheist and Republican, Not a Dissident stop saying I am.
RIP Óglach Alan Ryan

~~Proud Gaelige Speaker~~

The Klishi Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Klishi Islands » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:42 am

Obexer wrote:

I found two lists on suicide rates. Keep in mind that the gender ratio isn't 1:1 in most nations, but male suicide rates still seem freakishly higher in almost every single country.

Gender ratio by country:

Ostroeuropa wrote:

If you ever need sources, go to the reddit.

here though;

http://pubpages.unh.edu/~mas2/V74-gende ... d%208-.pdf
http://web.csulb.edu/~mfiebert/assault.htm
http://www.law.fsu.edu/journals/lawrevi ... /kelly.pdf

There is domestic violence.

http://time.com/3393442/cdc-rape-numbers/

And there you go on rape.

Thank you! :hug:
Economic Center-Left, Social Libertarian. Basically an ebul establishment neoliberal.
The political compass is no longer objective, so I've removed it from my sig. TG me for my specific positions.
"Bullshit is everywhere. There is very little that you will encounter in life that has not been, in some ways, infused with bullshit." ~ Jon Stewart

These quotes sum up how I feel about the political climate in America. Let's try to keep the debate healthy, open, and honest

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:40 am

Alyakia wrote:there are obvious problems (like male victims of domestic abuse/rape) in which men get screwed but i'm still not convinced there needs to be an entirely separate movement to address them and am skeptical of most organized attempts to create one because they tend to attract the "the best way to fight rape is to legalize it crowd". while people complain feminists don't care about men or speak out against extremists i haven't seen many "men's rights activists" denounce the extremists in their movements either. admittedly i don't pay much attention to the related threads so maybe you will have something to show me on that front?

From what I've noted looking at interactions between those communities though, It appears to me the MRA's don't generally bring up extremists throwing threats as a point that Feminists are generally supposed to be held responsible, but as a response to the fact that feminists use those threats against MRA's while at the same time not addressing the rabid ones doing in supposedly in their own name.

To envisiion what I am talking about, imagine we were two kids arguing on a playground, and we were civil about it, but a couple of loose acquantances that each agree with us were there too, and yours would keep slapping me in the fact, and mine slapping you...... and then as a point of order against you I bring up your acquaintance that kept slapping me in the face. It would be fair game at that point for you to bring up that I do absolutely nothing about the one slapping you in the face so it's not a very equal view to condemn you for failing to do a particular act that I myself won't do.

MY view on this is that mainstream MRA is just as relevant as mainstream feminism. Both of them have great points they make, and both of them have things which are shortfalls. I think a singular movement would be great, but I just do not see it happening, because when it really comes down to it, people are assholes.

The general gist of what I've been seeing is that the MRA is not necessarily really about rights, really it seems most of what they are talking about deal with social responsibility... that is the movement is seeking EQUAL responsibility rather than equal RIGHTS (so in a way the name they use is not correct for the movement), which is itself important. As certain rights that men have traditionally held have resulted in particular responsibilities upon men, and many times which the rights are equalized between the two the responsibilities are not, which results in an unfair treatment. Feminists tend to not address areas of unequal responsibility unless the responsibility effects women in a negative way.... which is kind of expected as the movement does center itself on women's rights. Of course in this sometimes other issues come up, MRA's want certain responsibilities ended which really should just be equaled and not terminated... and they form a social good needed for a functional and continual society (ensured care for children for example).

I'm critical of both sides, because both sides have good points, and both sides have short comings..... and I just don't see either side really addressing the other because in the end they are both being heavily driven by ideology and not necessarily a truly egalitarian nature.
Such heroic nonsense!

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:45 am

The Klishi Islands wrote:
Obexer wrote:I found two lists on suicide rates. Keep in mind that the gender ratio isn't 1:1 in most nations, but male suicide rates still seem freakishly higher in almost every single country.

Gender ratio by country:

No problem. Those two issues aren't the only ones, there's plenty more. How well versed are you?
Ostro.MOV

The Klishi Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Klishi Islands » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:53 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:

No problem. Those two issues aren't the only ones, there's plenty more. How well versed are you?

Not very. I'm not exactly active on these issues. I know generally that the feminist movements and MRA movements mostly pursue noble goals but each have their issues, and that there are extremists that pollute both messages. I also generally support both movements but agree that they need reform.

I'm more of a geopolitical junkie.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:58 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:

Not very. I'm not exactly active on these issues. I know generally that the feminist movements and MRA movements mostly pursue noble goals but each have their issues, and that there are extremists that pollute both messages. I also generally support both movements but agree that they need reform.

I'm more of a geopolitical junkie.

That's fine, we all have our areas of focus. The suicide issue is one that probably requires being well versed to understand in it's entirety. I would say the issues you raised are symptoms of deeper problems in the culture, it's institutions, and the media, and won't be resolved until those issues are.

Namely the empathy gap, male disposability, women are wonderful effect, and gynocentrism. But, that said, if you're not inclined to get deep into it, that isn't too much of a problem I don't think, so long as you don't oppose the MRM working.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General