NATION

PASSWORD

The NS Mens Rights Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:03 pm

Azorean Lands wrote:
Ashkera wrote:
I do not accept the implied moral grounds for why men should be such a way. I am in no way specially obligated to do or be what you want. I do not agree with, or use, the definition of "man" you wish to impose.

If you want to wallow in masochism, that is your option. If you want to chain yourself to cis heterosexual women's desires for what you should be socially and sexually, you are permitted to do so.

But as free men, we are not obligated to do so, and we are exercising that choice.

I'm glad you're also free. You're also free to have homosexual intercourse, but you'd still be a freak if you chose to.

I miss sebient dogs.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Haktiva
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:08 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Azorean Lands wrote:I'm glad you're also free. You're also free to have homosexual intercourse, but you'd still be a freak if you chose to.

I miss sebient dogs.

just ignore him. he's either a troll or he really bend at the knee for his goddesses
All around disagreeable person.

"Personal freedom is a double edged sword though. On the one end, it grants more power to the individual. However, the vast majority of individuals are fuckin idiots, and if certain restraints are not metered down by more responsible members of society, the society quickly degrades into a hedonistic and psychotic cluster fuck."

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:14 pm

Haktiva wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
I miss sebient dogs.

just ignore him. he's either a troll or he really bend at the knee for his goddesses

I was just saying I miss a better class of troll. Sebient dogs was great. I loved that guy. This stuff is just so, meh.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Azorean Lands
Envoy

Founded: May 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Azorean Lands » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Haktiva wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
I miss sebient dogs.

Please, let's not get personal.

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:19 pm

Azorean Lands wrote:
Haktiva wrote:just ignore him. he's either a troll or he really bend at the knee for his goddesses

you fired the first shots with the bit about homosexual sex, not to mention demising the whole movement you likely know little about. don't be surprised if others echo what I say

"Personal freedom is a double edged sword though. On the one end, it grants more power to the individual. However, the vast majority of individuals are fuckin idiots, and if certain restraints are not metered down by more responsible members of society, the society quickly degrades into a hedonistic and psychotic cluster fuck."

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:24 pm

Haktiva wrote:
Azorean Lands wrote:

you fired the first shots with the bit about homosexual sex, not to mention demising the whole movement you likely know little about. don't be surprised if others echo what I say

He also called people degenerate whores.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Azorean Lands
Envoy

Founded: May 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Azorean Lands » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:26 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Haktiva wrote:you fired the first shots with the bit about homosexual sex, not to mention demising the whole movement you likely know little about. don't be surprised if others echo what I say

He also called people degenerate whores.

Oh sorry, is that "slutshaming"?

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:28 pm

Azorean Lands wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:He also called people degenerate whores.

to be honest that would be a compliment for feminists as far as my opinion of them goes. but no, it just doesn't contribute anything worthwhile

Ashkera
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashkera » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:28 pm

Azorean Lands wrote:
Ashkera wrote:
I do not accept the implied moral grounds for why men should be such a way. I am in no way specially obligated to do or be what you want. I do not agree with, or use, the definition of "man" you wish to impose.

If you want to wallow in masochism, that is your option. If you want to chain yourself to cis heterosexual women's desires for what you should be socially and sexually, you are permitted to do so.

But as free men, we are not obligated to do so, and we are exercising that choice.

I'm glad you're also free. You're also free to have homosexual intercourse, but you'd still be a freak if you chose to.

It's funny, because one of the most gay men I know could probably take someone like you in a fight quite easily.

As for myself, I am not now nor have I ever been gay, and the idea of having to actively avoid it rings hollow to me - for me, there is no such temptation.

And yet, it is a natural thing, to which "freak" attaches an arbitrary and philosophically-unfounded moral judgment.

As for your shaming tactic, it is nothing more than a hollow attempt to control us and make us into what you want for YOUR benefit, not ours. We know what it is now. We are awake.

You are afraid you will lose your status once men can be what men want to be. We don't care.
第五大黒森帝国
Practice. Virtue. Harmony. Prosperity.

A secretive Dominant-Party Technocracy located in the southwest of the Pacific Ocean
Factbook: The Fifth Empire of Ashkera [2018/2030] (updated 18.04.29) / Questions
Roaming squads of state-sponsored body-builders teach nerds to lift. "Fifth generation" cruise ships come equipped with naval reactors. Insurance inspectors are more feared than tax auditors. Turbine-powered "super interceptor" police cruisers patrol high-speed highways.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:37 pm

Azorean Lands wrote:
Ashkera wrote:

*** 1 day ban for trolling ***
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Liberonscien
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberonscien » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:44 pm

Is feminism sexist?
No real signature for now besides the preceding text and the following punctuation.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:55 pm

Liberonscien wrote:Is feminism sexist?

I wouldn't say so, although radfems seem to be, as a group, very sexist.

The only problem I see with feminism, as a whole, is that every problem is looked at with a question of "how can this be made better for women?"

This is true even if women are the beneficiaries of the sexism in question.

This means that, in certain circumstances, feminist thought actually reinforces sexism, while in certain circumstances, it undoes sexism. The ultimate result will be, of course, a matriarchy, unless reform towards actual equality in all circumstances is actually done. Picture it on a number line, where various rights are represented by different numbers.

We'll do the number line for men as follows:

7-8-3-9-8 = 35

For women, we'll say it's:

6-8-8-7-5 = 34

Women are disadvantaged, their numbers are lower. The feminist solution is correct the areas where women are unequal by changing her number line to:

7-8-8-9-8 = 40

and declare that equal. In fact, we've just created a NEW inequality in the opposite direction. All the changes that they've made are supportable, but the changes they've missed cause an unequal situation. Even worse, if someone comes along and tried to correct the middle number by taking men to 8 or women to 3 (or some both directions), feminism fights these changes because they are anti-woman.

Ultimately, without reform, we're headed down a bad path. This is one we've been down, but in the opposite direction.
Last edited by Galloism on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:57 pm

Most feminists claim it is not; however, ignoring and suppressing the mere idea that men as a class are not wholly responsible for sexism in society, and that they are actually victims in many cases, suggests otherwise.
Last edited by Camicon on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:02 pm

In and of itself, no. Feminism, as I understand it, is the attempt to get women equal treatment, as compared to men. However, there are some who take it to the other extreme, as Gallo has pointed out. I'm not sure that feminist is really the right word to describe that though. Or perhaps it would be better to choose a different word to describe the struggle for the equal treatment of women, since the word feminism actually does suggest female superiority to the uninformed passerby. Of course, that will never happen either. It's like a spectrum, I suppose. Much of the feminist spectrum is not sexist, but some of the extremities of the spectrum are.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:42 pm

Azorean Lands wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:He also called people degenerate whores.

Sure is, but then that is not the problem, you flamed people on these forums.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:46 pm

Camicon wrote:

Most feminists claim it is not; however, ignoring and suppressing the mere idea that men as a class are not wholly responsible for sexism in society, and that they are actually victims in many cases, suggests otherwise.

Since many women and at least a few feminists feel that women are partially responsible for sexism (there are women that support sexist attitudes both towards women and towards men) that is not the whole of feminism. The problem at this point is that feminism is too broad a term. It covers way too many ideologies.
Just A Little though

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:58 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Camicon wrote:Most feminists claim it is not; however, ignoring and suppressing the mere idea that men as a class are not wholly responsible for sexism in society, and that they are actually victims in many cases, suggests otherwise.

Since many women and at least a few feminists feel that women are partially responsible for sexism (there are women that support sexist attitudes both towards women and towards men) that is not the whole of feminism. The problem at this point is that feminism is too broad a term. It covers way too many ideologies.

And until someone takes a scalpel to it and carves out what exactly does and does not belong to the various flavours of "feminism", I will continue to hold them all under the banner of the majority opinion.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:03 pm

Camicon wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

And until someone takes a scalpel to it and carves out what exactly does and does not belong to the various flavours of "feminism", I will continue to hold them all under the banner of the majority opinion.

Can you prove that the majority of feminists feel the way you claim they do? There is a reason we use adjectives to describe things, in particular there are adjectives that can be used to describe which brand of feminism you are talking about.
Just A Little though

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:25 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Camicon wrote:And until someone takes a scalpel to it and carves out what exactly does and does not belong to the various flavours of "feminism", I will continue to hold them all under the banner of the majority opinion.

Can you prove that the majority of feminists feel the way you claim they do? There is a reason we use adjectives to describe things, in particular there are adjectives that can be used to describe which brand of feminism you are talking about.

I'm not sure anyone has ever polled self-described feminists with the question "do you think feminism is sexist", so no, I don't think I can empirically prove that.

However, it is human nature to disassociate oneself from things that society deems bad, even if you embody those things; hence why there are people like Cliven Bundy who try to claim they aren't racist. It takes a certain kind of responsibility and maturity to admit that you belong to a group which has socially unacceptable traits, which I don't observe all that frequently. In any case, you can be damn sure there'd be some headlines if prominent feminists started saying "yeah, feminism is kind've sexist against men, actually". Given that I haven't seen any such news stories, I believe it is a safe assumption to say that most feminists don't believe their movement is sexist.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:39 pm

Camicon wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

I'm not sure anyone has ever polled self-described feminists with the question "do you think feminism is sexist", so no, I don't think I can empirically prove that.

However, it is human nature to disassociate oneself from things that society deems bad, even if you embody those things; hence why there are people like Cliven Bundy who try to claim they aren't racist. It takes a certain kind of responsibility and maturity to admit that you belong to a group which has socially unacceptable traits, which I don't observe all that frequently. In any case, you can be damn sure there'd be some headlines if prominent feminists started saying "yeah, feminism is kind've sexist against men, actually". Given that I haven't seen any such news stories, I believe it is a safe assumption to say that most feminists don't believe their movement is sexist.

Just like you have headlines where Muslims disassociate themselves with the more radical Muslim groups lie ISIS right? People who are radical tend to get the headlines, regardless of group.
Just A Little though

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:40 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Camicon wrote:I'm not sure anyone has ever polled self-described feminists with the question "do you think feminism is sexist", so no, I don't think I can empirically prove that.

Just like you have headlines where Muslims disassociate themselves with the more radical Muslim groups lie ISIS right? People who are radical tend to get the headlines, regardless of group.

And bringing the thread full circle, I present Paul Elam as a case study in radical people trying to get headlines.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:30 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Camicon wrote:I'm not sure anyone has ever polled self-described feminists with the question "do you think feminism is sexist", so no, I don't think I can empirically prove that.

That's a false comparison. "Not All Muslims Are Radicals" is not a particularly newsworthy headline (unless your media outlets constantly insinuate the exact opposite, as FOX does), whereas "Prominent Feminists Say That Feminism Is Sexist Against Men" would be trumpeted from the hilltops for weeks on end (months on end, in CNN's case). A more apt comparison would be the Pope saying "Yeah, the Church has been protecting pedophile priests for a while now, it's actually really bad", and we all know what happened with that story.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:08 pm

Galloism wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

And bringing the thread full circle, I present Paul Elam as a case study in radical people trying to get headlines.

*shrug*
It worked.
Ostro.MOV

Val Halla
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Val Halla » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:13 pm

Some people just want attention for their extreme views and will try and use stable ideologies to do this.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
WOMAN

She/her

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:14 pm

Val Halla wrote:Some people just want attention for their extreme views and will try and use stable ideologies to do this.

like Andrea Dworkin? :p

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General