NATION

PASSWORD

Why do we exist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
White Sox
Envoy

Founded: Jul 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Why do we exist?

Postby White Sox » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:27 pm

What is it about humans? Humans, animals that wander the earth, that supposedly dominate all other animals, animals that have reached the unfathomable ends of the universe. We are a confusing species. Why are we here, what has put us here, were did everything that exists in our universe and our own line of logic come from to an unfathomable ending. We look at the Earth for too long, we no longer question its reality as an actual question amongst the very answer. We look at the universe as much as we can, but we meticulously inspect the immersive systems of stars and planets, peruse or simply observe the supernovas, only to find nothing.

The answer, is much more deeper. It is within us, our very selves and our consciousness.

The world is something that to us, is a mass of sensations, and we lack seeing the law uphoning one's world, and to be removed, would allow for us, our worlds, to become nothing.

So, now, it is time for the questions.

How do you think we "exist"? Do we simply perceive it? Or is it something that we already know, or something that has been made that we have not found yet? Is our purpose in one's higher being? Have they created us, out conscious, only for us to play with sticks and stones and find what they were put on the world for a reason? Or not?

In my own opinion, I believe we perceive ourselves in our own independent fashions, on this world as an interpretation for our consciousness to rest, to act out the monotony of life in a physical body.
Why Leftism is seen as abhorrent and racist | Islam is not violent, its adherents are | The Left has chosen Slaughterers over the Slaughtered | What is the difference between Social Justice and Mob Justice?

Empire of Zeeland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Zeeland » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:35 pm

We exist because of evolution.
A god can't exist if many world wars happen and other crimes against humanity.

Bentrada
Diplomat

Founded: May 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bentrada » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:36 pm

We exist because life evolved on this rather standard planet and eventually a set of events billions of years later lead to the evolution of an animal intelligent enough to ask these questions.

At least, that's how it seems.

LA Cheese
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby LA Cheese » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:36 pm

ok, well i would say that when addressing a philosophical question, we should be careful to clearly define our terms, premises, and logical formu---fuck it.

LA Cheese
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby LA Cheese » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:38 pm

Empire of Zeeland wrote:We exist because of evolution.

this is miconceptualization. the question is about teleology, not the physical laws/conditions that have led us to exist. it's not about "we are" as much as it is "whence and wither?".

Bentrada
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bentrada » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:38 pm

I think a god can still exist despite the actions of humans.

White Sox
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Re: Why do we exist

Postby White Sox » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:38 pm

A god does not have to be a god of loving, and our physical bodies, nor our consciousness, can be considered innocent, per our own thinking of innocence when compared to that of this "god".
Why Leftism is seen as abhorrent and racist | Islam is not violent, its adherents are | The Left has chosen Slaughterers over the Slaughtered | What is the difference between Social Justice and Mob Justice?

Vespalian Federation
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Vespalian Federation » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:39 pm

I dunno.
I wanted to name my main this, but only after I already founded it.
MT alternate puppet of Vespalia, with more gynocentrism!
Queen of the Vespalian Federation: Karina Saori Vera
Prime Minister of the Vespalian Federation: Vyzva Iliae (Labour)

LA Cheese
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby LA Cheese » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:40 pm

Bentrada wrote:

a god can still exist even with the worst formulation of the problem of evil used against him. argument from evil without morally sufficient reasons is much more convincing. there's a quentin smith (philosopher) paper about it that got published when he still bothered to publish.

Bentrada
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bentrada » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:40 pm

Vespalian Federation wrote:I dunno.

This is the most accurate answer.

White Sox
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby White Sox » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:41 pm

Bentrada wrote:We exist because life evolved on this rather standard planet and eventually a set of events billions of years later lead to the evolution of an animal intelligent enough to ask these questions.

Less physical and and biological change, more of a physiological view at it. Why do we exist? Is it god that has created us, or at least our lives that we view through; or is it simply ourselves through perceiving atoms and history, and physical-biological changes as well to our view.

Empire of Zeeland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Zeeland » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:41 pm

LA Cheese wrote:
Bentrada wrote:

a god can still exist even with the worst formulation of the problem of evil used against him. argument from evil without morally sufficient reasons is much more convincing. there's a quentin smith (philosopher) paper about it that got published when he still bothered to publish.

So a god that does not intervene?

The Andromeda Confederation
Envoy

Founded: Jul 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Confederation » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:41 pm

We exist for two, and probably only two reasons:

1. Either a creator god created us for its own amusement, a god that doesn't really care what genocide we go through, as long as it chuckles at the end of the "movie of pain."

Or

2. Because a long and complicated thing occured and through billions of years of creation and destruction, evolution and devolution, and for some reason evolution plopped our ugly asses into the mix.

Both ideas are pretty bad. This is why people turn to fatalism.
Aw fuck, I can't believe you've done this!
VOX NEWS:|Our national anthem gets a synthwave remix.|The Trace Regions have free elections today after reaching a population of 30,000,000.|Andromeda reaches out to build an embassy in the Ravagery, threatening omniversal annihilation if not. We assume that's a part of their culture.|We are a Class A nation, that does NOT use NS stats.
Embassy Program

LA Cheese
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby LA Cheese » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:41 pm

Bentrada wrote:
Vespalian Federation wrote:I dunno.

This is the most accurate answer.

a misconception of philosophy is that it seeks definite answers.

it's a matter of framing questions properly and then ruling out impossible answers, comparing and contrasting what's left.

even the most aspiring of metaphysicians could only ever say "perhaps we should look at this way given the failure of opposing systems".

LA Cheese
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby LA Cheese » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:42 pm

The Andromeda Confederation wrote:We exist for two, and probably only two reasons:

1. Either a creator god created us for its own amusement, a god that doesn't really care what genocide we go through, as long as it chuckles at the end of the "movie of pain."

Or

2. Because a long and complicated thing occured and through billions of years of creation and destruction, evolution and devolution, and for some reason evolution plopped our ugly asses into the mix.

yes. these are definitely the only two answers to this question ever conceived in the history of human thought! :p

Lowell Leber
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:42 pm

To fight and fornicate.
IC The Leberite Empire

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11

Empire of Zeeland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Zeeland » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:42 pm

You should ask Morgan Freeman on his show trough the wormhole.

White Sox
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby White Sox » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:42 pm

Empire of Zeeland wrote:
LA Cheese wrote:

A god is not required to intervene should a rupture of our own morality happen. All of our moralities are different on how we view things, and why we view them.

Aidannadia
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aidannadia » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:43 pm

We exist because we want to.
Hey, my name is Aidan and I am still figuring out who I really am. Most of my views are some form of leftism someone could probably tell me is not leftism. I'm a guy.

White Sox
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby White Sox » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:43 pm

Lowell Leber wrote:To fight and fornicate.

And what our our consciousness?

LA Cheese
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby LA Cheese » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:44 pm

Empire of Zeeland wrote:
LA Cheese wrote:

let me clarify.

the poster was using the classic argument from evil--that the existence of evil is logically (or abductively) inconsistent with the existence of god. i was suggesting that a much better argument from evil is that of natural evil.

but this thread ain't about that.

Envoy

Founded: Jul 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Confederation » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:45 pm

LA Cheese wrote:
The Andromeda Confederation wrote:We exist for two, and probably only two reasons:

Or

yes. these are definitely the only two answers to this question ever conceived in the history of human thought! :p

Ah, there's probably a better one. You know I'm bored when I crawl into NSG.

But still, those are the two ideas in my head. Which means there's a third, and most likely true, option.
Aw fuck, I can't believe you've done this!
VOX NEWS:|Our national anthem gets a synthwave remix.|The Trace Regions have free elections today after reaching a population of 30,000,000.|Andromeda reaches out to build an embassy in the Ravagery, threatening omniversal annihilation if not. We assume that's a part of their culture.|We are a Class A nation, that does NOT use NS stats.
Embassy Program

Planita
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Planita » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:45 pm

By random, one out of a trillion, happenstance.

Bentrada
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bentrada » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:45 pm

White Sox wrote:
Bentrada wrote:We exist because life evolved on this rather standard planet and eventually a set of events billions of years later lead to the evolution of an animal intelligent enough to ask these questions.

Less physical and and biological change, more of a physiological view at it. Why do we exist? Is it god that has created us, or at least our lives that we view through; or is it simply ourselves through perceiving atoms and history, and physical-biological changes as well to our view.

Well, we have 21 billion neurons in our cerebral cortex which plays a key role in memory, attention, perception, awareness, thought, language, and consciousness which may very well enable us to ask these questions.
Last edited by Bentrada on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Sox
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby White Sox » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:45 pm

Aidannadia wrote:We exist because we want to.

Less want and more have. It's sort of a mix. We exist because we both want to, and because we know what to "exist" means, at least in the tiniest sense.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General