NATION

PASSWORD

2018-19 Hockey Megathread: Lightning-Proof Jackets

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will win the Stanley Cup?

Boston Bruins
32%
New York Islanders
4%
St. Louis Blues
36%
San Jose Sharks
7%
Carolina Hurricanes
7%
Columbus Blue Jackets
11%
Colorado Avalanche
4%
Dallas Stars
No votes

Total votes : 28

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:46 pm

Elejamie wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
Called it! The best location for the fans would've been Quebec, but the best location for business was Seattle. What shall the team's name be? Also, feel free to shoot anyone who says the Nordiques :P

Not to mention that the Eastern Conference is already full so, unless they move a team over to the West (probably Detroit or another team via relocation) things would be a bit lopsided.

Maineiacs wrote:

Read an article that suggested, perhaps jokingly, perhaps seriously, that they be called the Seattle Thunder, as a poke at OKC for taking the Supersonics.

That could work, especially if they end up playing Tampa Bay. Other names that I think could work are the Seattle Metropolitans (as it would be a reference to the PCHA team that won the Stanley Cup about 100 years ago), the Seattle Totems (who were another former pro hockey team in Seattle), the Seattle Emeralds or the Seattle MoveTheGoddamnCoyotesAlready.

but Quebec getting a team gives us an excuse to fix the mistake the league made moving Detroit out of the western confrence

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:50 pm

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:
Elejamie wrote:
Not to mention that the Eastern Conference is already full so, unless they move a team over to the West (probably Detroit or another team via relocation) things would be a bit lopsided.

That could work, especially if they end up playing Tampa Bay. Other names that I think could work are the Seattle Metropolitans (as it would be a reference to the PCHA team that won the Stanley Cup about 100 years ago), the Seattle Totems (who were another former pro hockey team in Seattle), the Seattle Emeralds or the Seattle MoveTheGoddamnCoyotesAlready.

but Quebec getting a team gives us an excuse to fix the mistake the league made moving Detroit out of the western confrence

If Seattle gets a team then the only way Quebec gets one is if an existing franchise moves. A 32 team league divides neatly into 4 divisions of 8, 16 teams on each side of the country; unless there is 4-team expansion, one into each division, which will probably never happen.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Camicon wrote:
United Kingdom of Poland wrote:but Quebec getting a team gives us an excuse to fix the mistake the league made moving Detroit out of the western confrence

If Seattle gets a team then the only way Quebec gets one is if an existing franchise moves. A 32 team league divides neatly into 4 divisions of 8, 16 teams on each side of the country; unless there is 4-team expansion, one into each division, which will probably never happen.

My best guess is that Seattle or Houston will get an expansion team, and the Coyotes will move to whichever one they didn't pick. Nice tidy divisions.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:31 pm

Just watched the world Juniors.

Nice. That gold trophy looks good with the red and white.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:35 pm

I gotta hand it to Vegas - I didn't expect them to be on top halfway through the season. Kudos!
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Jagellion
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagellion » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:58 pm

The Metropolitan Division is so much more competitive than anyone could've imagined. Also, how bout those Ducks @ Kings fights yesterday?
https://youtu.be/LgtsNHnWdns
Last edited by Jagellion on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES! SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!
Proud Philadelphian and Jew
Also all about them Flyers! Phillies! and Sixers! TTP
Proud Member of The Western Isles
My TG box is open for anything, especially funny jokes and stories.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:13 pm

Just going to leave these epic YT videos here, and bump the thread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLjdsBz3oHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46zzFxkh8Ic
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:22 am

Canada Wins against Switzerland 5-1.

Also, I have an excuse to where my team Canada jersey!

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:41 am

Trade deadline is approaching. I'm happy with the Penguins' acquisition of Brassard.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:47 am

How did this happen?

How did Germans beat Canada at Hockey?

At Least there not gloating about it

Elejamie
Senator

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:59 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:How did this happen?

My best guess is because Gary Bettman wouldn't allow NHL players to go to the Olympics for whatever reason and, without their best players and instead relying on a B-team, Team Canada (and by extension the USA) struggled a bit. In fact, there might not be any NHL players at the Beijing games as well, according to Bettman.

Either way, well done to Canada for at least getting the bronze. And good luck, Deutschland.
Last edited by Elejamie on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elejamie (English); Elejamia (Spanish); Elejam (Iyilim) - Denonym: Elejamian - Pronounced (English): Eh-leh-jah-meh
I INTRODUCED THE NS SPORTS COMMUNITY TO URINATINGTREE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SIGNATURE / Я з Україною

OOC: Miserable opinionated hipster.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:03 am

Elejamie wrote:

My best guess is because Gary Bettman wouldn't allow NHL players to go to the Olympics for whatever reason and, without their best players and instead relying on a B-team, Team Canada (and by extension the USA) struggled a bit. In fact, there might not be any NHL players at the Beijing games as well, according to Bettman.

Either way, well done to Canada for at least getting the bronze. And good luck, Deutschland.

Yeah, Germans got the upper hand from the European league players.

GL to them too.
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freezic Vast
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:34 am

Any chance for the Penguins to get a three-peat shot at the Stanley Cup?
20 year old, male from Pennsylvania and proud of it. Love sports like football, baseball and hockey, enjoy video games and TV. Music is love, music is life. I'm bi and conservative.
Nothing Breaks Like A Heart by Mark Ronson ft. Miley Cyrus
Tired, and bored, need sleep.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:14 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Elejamie wrote:

GL to them too.

The DEL is probably the 4th best European league behind the Finns, the Swedes, and the Swiss.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Elejamie
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:51 am

Freezic Vast wrote:Any chance for the Penguins to get a three-peat shot at the Stanley Cup?

I doubt it and, even if they manage to, they're probably going to struggle a bit. For a start, there was that slight slog in the first three months of the season which cost them so many much-needed points. And secondly, Vegas, who are not really tearing up the Pacific Division but also have a lot of good depth, will pose a tough challenge and I won't be surprised if they win the Stanley Cup instead. I would've brought up a third reason but I couldn't think of one.

P.S. The OAR have won the gold medal, beating Germany 4-3 in OT. Part of me really hopes Urinating Tree does a lolcow video on Bettman, there's just so much material (including this smart decision).
Elejamie (English); Elejamia (Spanish); Elejam (Iyilim) - Denonym: Elejamian - Pronounced (English): Eh-leh-jah-meh
I INTRODUCED THE NS SPORTS COMMUNITY TO URINATINGTREE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SIGNATURE / Я з Україною

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:20 am

Sweet, at least we got bronze

Go Germany, kick Russia's butt! :P

Srsly. gl to both teams.

Elejamie
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:46 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Sweet, at least we got bronze

Srsly. gl to both teams.

Russia won, 4-3 in OT. As I mentioned at the end of my last post. But still, commiserations to Germany and congrats to Canada on winning bronze. I'm feeling a bit petty at the minute so I'm going to hold off on congratulating Russia for the minute.

Albynau
Spokesperson

Founded: May 10, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby Albynau » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:48 am

Freezic Vast wrote:Any chance for the Penguins to get a three-peat shot at the Stanley Cup?

They’re on fire now, and with Brassard they’re my picks for the cup.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:43 pm

Elejamie wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Sweet, at least we got bronze

Srsly. gl to both teams.

Russia won, 4-3 in OT. As I mentioned at the end of my last post. But still, commiserations to Germany and congrats to Canada on winning bronze. I'm feeling a bit petty at the minute so I'm going to hold off on congratulating Russia for the minute.

I saw. I'm a bit salty about that penalty, but still gg Russia.

Jagellion
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagellion » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:21 pm

Albynau wrote:

They’re on fire now, and with Brassard they’re my picks for the cup.

Flyers went from last in the Metro to one point behind first. 11 game point streak. They're FLAMING
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES! SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!
Proud Philadelphian and Jew
Also all about them Flyers! Phillies! and Sixers! TTP
Proud Member of The Western Isles
My TG box is open for anything, especially funny jokes and stories.

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:01 pm

Elejamie wrote:

I think the issue too is that neither the US or Canada actually prepared for Bettman to go through with his threat. From my understanding neither team had spent much time playing together. Even if Bettman does the same in Beijing, I'm willing to bet at least Canada will be back to form in 2022.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:41 pm

Germany is warning its citizens in Canada to exercise “a high degree of empathy,” after the men’s hockey team beat Canada to advance to the gold-medal final at the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea.

> Germany
> High Degree of Empathy

:rofl:

Elejamie wrote:

The NHL & KHL want broadcasting revenue. The IOC doesn't want to give them broadcasting revenue. The negotiations for the 2022 Winter Olympics should be interesting. In case you're wondering, the broadcasting revenue is around $1.3 billion. The NHL's Revenue is $4.4 billion per year, and the KHL's - $1.2 billion per year.

The Serbian Empire wrote:

GL to them too.

The DEL is probably the 4th best European league behind the Finns, the Swedes, and the Swiss.

Isn't the KHL a European League? :P

As for international hockey, the US has two options:

> Fire Tony Granato and find a better coach
> Lose

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:48 pm

Also, great news for international hockey fans - international hockey resumes on April 19th, and leads right into the World Hockey Championship, starting on May 4th.

Sauce: https://theihlc.com/2017/08/19/2017-18- ... -released/
Peppa: http://2018.iihfworlds.com

Hopefully this won't be total slaughter like Russia's Games were against Norway, Slovenia, United States, and the Czech Republic, it was a tad hard to tell the difference between US and Slovenia :P

Oh, one more thing: Germany's tough, eh Canada? :P

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:43 pm

Shofercia wrote:Also, great news for international hockey fans - international hockey resumes on April 19th, and leads right into the World Hockey Championship, starting on May 4th.

Hopefully this won't be total slaughter like Russia's Games were against Norway, Slovenia, United States, and the Czech Republic, it was a tad hard to tell the difference between US and Slovenia :P

They had league, we were fighting with one hand tied behind are back. And we still got bronze.

And that was still our most successful Olympics ever.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:15 pm

Shofercia wrote:Also, great news for international hockey fans - international hockey resumes on April 19th, and leads right into the World Hockey Championship, starting on May 4th.

They had league, we were fighting with one hand tied behind are back. And we still got bronze.

And that was still our most successful Olympics ever.

The Canadian Medals started increasing after Curling became an Olympic Sport :P

Also, how about that Women's Hockey Final for Canada? Too soon? :P

Joking aside, good job on the team figure skating event. I'm looking forward to a rematch in 2022. Granted, we should've had Klimov-Stolbova, but that four points wouldn't have made a difference. Also, not a bad Bobsleigh run, and good results on freestyle skiing as always, that might be your guys' sport, and c'mon, it's so much better than Curling. Just admit it, you know you want to :P

Also, I enjoyed Toutant's jumps, but can't say the same about McMorris. He's just way too fucking crazy, and that teaches bad form to the kids. Usually not a good idea. Overall - good performance by Team Canada. Wait, isn't this a hockey thread? :P
Last edited by Shofercia on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General