NATION

PASSWORD

2018-19 Hockey Megathread: Lightning-Proof Jackets

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will win the Stanley Cup?

Boston Bruins
32%
New York Islanders
4%
St. Louis Blues
36%
San Jose Sharks
7%
Carolina Hurricanes
7%
Columbus Blue Jackets
11%
Colorado Avalanche
4%
Dallas Stars
No votes

Total votes : 28

Jagellion
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagellion » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:I don't know if any of you have noticed, but the Red Wings are headed straight for cap hell in the middle of a rebuild.

According to CapFriendly, they're $3 million over the cap, and they still need to get Andreas Athanasiou, one of their best young forwards, signed.

It gets worse next year. The Red Wings have $12 million in cap space for 2018-19 - which doesn't include Athanasiou's contract - and they need new contracts for forwards Anthony Mantha, Riley Sheahan and Dylan Larkin - all young guys, defenseman Ryan Sproul and goalie Petr Mrazek.

Oh, and the Wings have nine no-trade clauses on their roster, and five of them are for defensemen.

The Wings are rarely talked about anymore, and I'm surprised I haven't heard that yet...
Poorly run front office I guess. I don't really care though, twenty six straight playoff appearances and 4 cups I think? They can struggle for time being.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES! SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!
Proud Philadelphian and Jew
Also all about them Flyers! Phillies! and Sixers! TTP
Proud Member of The Western Isles
My TG box is open for anything, especially funny jokes and stories.

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:27 pm

Yeah now, the Red Wings' cap situation is terrible. It's not something that I think is really manageable, compared to the Oilers'.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:32 pm

Jagellion wrote:
Kaboomlandia wrote:I don't know if any of you have noticed, but the Red Wings are headed straight for cap hell in the middle of a rebuild.

According to CapFriendly, they're $3 million over the cap, and they still need to get Andreas Athanasiou, one of their best young forwards, signed.

It gets worse next year. The Red Wings have $12 million in cap space for 2018-19 - which doesn't include Athanasiou's contract - and they need new contracts for forwards Anthony Mantha, Riley Sheahan and Dylan Larkin - all young guys, defenseman Ryan Sproul and goalie Petr Mrazek.

Oh, and the Wings have nine no-trade clauses on their roster, and five of them are for defensemen.

The Wings are rarely talked about anymore, and I'm surprised I haven't heard that yet...
Poorly run front office I guess. I don't really care though, twenty six straight playoff appearances and 4 cups I think? They can struggle for time being.

Holland's never had to run a rebuild before, and it shows.

Jello Biafra wrote:Yeah now, the Red Wings' cap situation is terrible. It's not something that I think is really manageable, compared to the Oilers'.

Edmonton's is somewhat manageable because they're on the way up, so I'd say the only players they really need to get signed are Strome, Maroon, Caggiula, Nurse, and Broissoit, and they have a little more space than the Wings.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Gim
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:49 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:Yeah now, the Red Wings' cap situation is terrible. It's not something that I think is really manageable, compared to the Oilers'.

And they have Athanasiou leaving to Russia and Zetterberg retiring in two years.
All You Need to Know about Gim
Male, 17, Protestant Christian, British

Elejamie
Senator

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:50 am

So Shane Doan's retiring after over twenty years in the NHL, first with the original Jets followed by TWENTY seasons with the Coyotes (not counting that massive lockout). Any thoughts?
Elejamie (English); Elejamia (Spanish); Elejam (Iyilim) - Denonym: Elejamian - Pronounced (English): Eh-leh-jah-meh
I INTRODUCED THE NS SPORTS COMMUNITY TO URINATINGTREE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SIGNATURE / Я з Україною

OOC: Miserable opinionated hipster.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:54 am

Elejamie wrote:So Shane Doan's retiring after over twenty years in the NHL, first with the original Jets followed by TWENTY seasons with the Coyotes (not counting that massive lockout). Any thoughts?

He should join Team Canada.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Empire of Cats
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Cats » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:20 am

Elejamie wrote:So Shane Doan's retiring after over twenty years in the NHL, first with the original Jets followed by TWENTY seasons with the Coyotes (not counting that massive lockout). Any thoughts?

Well, nothing is forever. Best of luck to him.

Union of Despotistan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Union of Despotistan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:57 am

Camicon wrote:

This so much.

Iginla and Doan should go to Team Canada in the next Olympics. I think Jagr will do the same for the Czech Republic.

We must find new ways to circumvent the terrible NHL decision about Olympics. Having Doan and Iginla might help us.
Gloriosa, vincemus
We will not let ourselves be ruled by another.
Unis, un jour; toujours!

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:21 am

Union of Despotistan wrote:
Camicon wrote:He should join Team Canada.

This so much.

Iginla and Doan should go to Team Canada in the next Olympics. I think Jagr will do the same for the Czech Republic.

We must find new ways to circumvent the terrible NHL decision about Olympics. Having Doan and Iginla might help us.

Well, NHL is sending their players to Beijing in 2022, so that won't be much of a concern.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:58 am

Gim wrote:
Union of Despotistan wrote:This so much.

Well, NHL is sending their players to Beijing in 2022, so that won't be much of a concern.

Source?
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Flames locked up Bennett for cheap. 2 years, $1.95 million per year.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:14 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:Flames locked up Bennett for cheap. 2 years, $1.95 million per year.

Yeah, I was surprised. I thought he'd go for at least $2M. I mean, he could've taken the team to arbitration and could've gotten more money.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Camicon wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/doan-iginla-have-to-have-a-plan-to-play-for-canada-s-olympic-team-1.4271888
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:43 pm

Canucks got Horvat signed! 6 years, $33 million,
Co-Author of SC #204

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:07 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:Canucks got Horvat signed! 6 years, $33 million,

It's actually a good signing. I like it. Also, Vancouver acquires Thomas Vanek from free agency.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:34 pm

The preseason is finally here! Canucks win 4-3 in overtime on a beautiful snipe by Boeser, and they play Vegas today.
Co-Author of SC #204

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:16 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:The preseason is finally here! Canucks win 4-3 in overtime on a beautiful snipe by Boeser, and they play Vegas today.

And got wrecked

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:33 am

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
Kaboomlandia wrote:The preseason is finally here! Canucks win 4-3 in overtime on a beautiful snipe by Boeser, and they play Vegas today.

And got wrecked

Their B-squad did.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:00 am

Camicon wrote:
And got wrecked

Their B-squad did.

True, it's pre-season. It doesn't really matter. However, I'm excited for LV, they have real potential to be an extremely effective squad in their initial season, and not go the traditional routes of startups and flounder for 10 seasons.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:32 am

Camicon wrote:Their B-squad did.

True, it's pre-season. It doesn't really matter. However, I'm excited for LV, they have real potential to be an extremely effective squad in their initial season, and not go the traditional routes of startups and flounder for 10 seasons.

Eh. Maybe. But their only big name star, feel free to correct me, is Fleury. And Fleury won't be scoring many goals. Until they get some truly top tier talent in their defensive and offensive core, Vegas is going to be lottery bound.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:06 am

Camicon wrote:
And got wrecked

Their B-squad did.

At least Vegas can beat AHL teams. :P
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:22 pm

Camicon wrote:

Eh. Maybe. But their only big name star, feel free to correct me, is Fleury. And Fleury won't be scoring many goals. Until they get some truly top tier talent in their defensive and offensive core, Vegas is going to be lottery bound.

True there aren't any Crosbys but at the same time they drafted a very solid, and young with only a superstar goaltender. Teams have been able to make the playoffs on such a layout. They may not be cupworthy, but they can easily middle the west.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:04 pm

Camicon wrote:Eh. Maybe. But their only big name star, feel free to correct me, is Fleury. And Fleury won't be scoring many goals. Until they get some truly top tier talent in their defensive and offensive core, Vegas is going to be lottery bound.

True there aren't any Crosbys but at the same time they drafted a very solid, and young with only a superstar goaltender. Teams have been able to make the playoffs on such a layout. They may not be cupworthy, but they can easily middle the west.

They may be capable of middling the west, but certainly not easily.
Last edited by Camicon on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:40 pm

Brian Boyle has been diagnosed with a type of leukemia.

All the best of luck to him in his recovery. Fuck Cancer.
Co-Author of SC #204

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:40 pm

Dave Strader has passed away at 62 from cancer. Rest in peace.
Co-Author of SC #204

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General