NATION

PASSWORD

All-out Thaumaturgical War

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Only one will survive, I wonder who it will be...

Gandalf the White (Lord of the Rings)
31%
Rand al'Thor (Wheel of Time)
3%
Richard Rahl (Sword of truth)
8%
Raistlin Majere (Dragonlance)
13%
Milamber (Riftwar Saga)
2%
The White Witch (Narnia)
2%
Granny Weatherwax (Discworld)
23%
Xykon (Order of the Stick)
7%
Oberon of Amber (Chronicles of Amber)
2%
Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)
10%

Total votes : 61

Vojvodina-Nihon
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: All-out Thaumaturgical War

Postby Vojvodina-Nihon » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:14 am

I only recognize four of these characters. Do I lose my geek points?

(Of the ones I know about, I'm going with Granny Weatherwax.)
One of many Czardas puppets. I regarded this as my main account upon creating it and for several years thereafter, but these days, that's no longer important.
Death is patient, death is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Death does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Non Aligned States wrote:If you mean exploding people with thought, meh, WoT has that too. The Seanchean and Ashaman use that as their standard attack.

Still though, I don't see how errasing people out of history is all that needful.

Who knows? None of the other candidates have had a big enough ego to want to do that, so it never came up.

Neither did Garion, as he told the Orb, "That was just an example, not a suggestion!"

Ah, so I got it wrong.

Either case, it's still unimpressive. The Orb did the heavy work, Belgarion was just there to get it from scabbard to chest.

Well, given that Garion is one of three people able to actually touch the Orb and given that even gods die if they touch the damn thing, I'd say it's pretty important. Besides, he did the whole get bigger trick AND picked a fight with a dark god/personification of the Dark while a teen.

Now, do YOU go around doing that? I think not. :p
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Non Aligned States
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Non Aligned States » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:42 pm

NERVUN wrote:Still though, I don't see how errasing people out of history is all that needful.

It's useful. Taking a real world context, say you zap GW Bush with a really high charge Balefire. Bam! Dick Cheney becomes President. Ok, bad result, not powerful enough. Hit him with an even higher charge today, and Al Gore becomes the only candidate left to run for Presidency, Saddam Hussein springs back to life, Iraq doesn't look like a mahjong table, and Afghanistan is properly policed with sufficient manpower.

See how useful it can be? It's like time travel assassination, but without going back in time yourself.

NERVUN wrote:Neither did Garion, as he told the Orb, "That was just an example, not a suggestion!"

Yes, but he did raise the issue all the same. None of the others did.

NERVUN wrote:Well, given that Garion is one of three people able to actually touch the Orb and given that even gods die if they touch the damn thing, I'd say it's pretty important.

Well, the access keys were also fairly important, since Lanfear did the whole "With these, we can overthrow the Dark One, overthrow the Creator, and take their places", e.g. become gods themselves.

Of course using these were like overclocking your PC to 5000% base performance on a standard fan cooling system. Rather hazardous if you didn't have the capacity to use them.

NERVUN wrote:Besides, he did the whole get bigger trick AND picked a fight with a dark god/personification of the Dark while a teen.

We're kinda lacking in dark gods to smite these days, not to mention artifacts of world smashing power. I'll get to it when you provide me with the latter at least. :p

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:54 pm

NERVUN wrote:...picked a fight with a dark god/personification of the Dark while a teen.

Rand did, though, didn't he?
Last edited by Grave_n_idle on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I identify as
a problem

Non Aligned States
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Non Aligned States » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:58 pm

JuNii wrote:summoned Demons and controlled them

Hard to say that demon summoning qualifies as a direct magic spell, but fair enough.

JuNii wrote:, access to divine magic (Polgara has affected muscle control in others the prophet of min's neice's eyes for example, summoning Aldur, summoning her mother, etc...)

I'm not sure how that's divine magic. Going by what Polgara said about the prophet's niece, it could be the niece's own work with Polgara's advice that fixed them. Summoning her mother and Aldur is not much since both are mucking around just out of sight to begin with.

JuNii wrote:Teleportation of self and others, weather control, dispelling other's 'spells' and affecting their phsysical qualities (removal of shadows for example) speaking with animals, Telepathy, mass sheilding from scrying, etc...

and don't forget those attacks that they 'rebuffed'.

Animal speaking isn't much, since some prospector dude who wasn't even a sorcerer learned wolf speak, but I'll give you the rest.

Third Spanish States
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Spanish States » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:06 pm

In the short term Narackamous, because he has Cthulhu and the Great Old Ones as allies, and in the long term nobody because Cthulhu shall destroy the world.
PMT Factbook.
Honoro Sacrificium e Libertas : The Mindset, Jaredcohenia, New-Lexington, Binaria, Varejao, Hogsweat, Franberry, ChevyRocks, Izistan, Ulanpataar, North-Point, The Mindset, Vault 10, Rosbaningrad, Sharfghotten, Tyrandis, South Sharfgotten, Jeuna, Satirius, Zukariaa, Midlauthia et New Nicksyllvania.
Izistan wrote:Third Spanish States is a well known far-right activist so his attempts at humor can only be expected.

Umbagar wrote:%*$#! I put a crack in my screen thanks to the awesome "place fist here" sign. >:(

Lhazastan wrote:if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

Saxon Germany wrote:[...]you're practically a professional troll, TSS.[...]

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:59 am

Non Aligned States wrote:
JuNii wrote:summoned Demons and controlled them

Hard to say that demon summoning qualifies as a direct magic spell, but fair enough.
I do believe Belgarath explained the difference between the demon summoning and 'sorcery'. yes, it is a magic spell, just a different type.

JuNii wrote:, access to divine magic (Polgara has affected muscle control in others the prophet of min's neice's eyes for example, summoning Aldur, summoning her mother, etc...)

I'm not sure how that's divine magic. Going by what Polgara said about the prophet's niece, it could be the niece's own work with Polgara's advice that fixed them. Summoning her mother and Aldur is not much since both are mucking around just out of sight to begin with.
still, a feat that requires what one can term 'magic'.

JuNii wrote:Teleportation of self and others, weather control, dispelling other's 'spells' and affecting their phsysical qualities (removal of shadows for example) speaking with animals, Telepathy, mass sheilding from scrying, etc...

and don't forget those attacks that they 'rebuffed'.

Animal speaking isn't much, since some prospector dude who wasn't even a sorcerer learned wolf speak, but I'll give you the rest.
again, we don't know that. since those termed 'Sorcerers' tend to manifest their talent rather suddenly and for the most time, end up blowing themselves up. :lol:

as for the prospector... he's longed lived and has the sight, whos to say that he's NOT a sorcerer. Even Belgarath couldn't say for shure.
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General