NATION

PASSWORD

Success of Obamacare, and Debunking Myths

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:56 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
You are conflating classical liberalism with modern progressive liberals. Big difference, unless you are t American in which case this conversation gets more complicated. Basically modern libertarians in the USA are the closest analogue to old school classical liberals.
I don't really want to go into definitions of neoliberalism especially as it is applied to global economic theory.

I don't consider America's definition of "liberalism" (which is some kind of odd authoritarian centre-rightism) valid. I'm talking about liberalism as defined by those who founded it. Economic, political, personal, and social liberalism as a combined ideology. Free trade is part of that. It has been since Adam Smith. Keynes solidified its position in the modern era.

Well America still rules the world so until china takes over the American defn is the one I'm going to stick with.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
You are conflating classical liberalism with modern progressive liberals. Big difference, unless you are t American in which case this conversation gets more complicated. Basically modern libertarians in the USA are the closest analogue to old school classical liberals.
I don't really want to go into definitions of neoliberalism especially as it is applied to global economic theory.

I don't consider America's definition of "liberalism" (which is some kind of odd authoritarian centre-rightism) valid. I'm talking about liberalism as defined by those who founded it. Economic, political, personal, and social liberalism as a combined ideology. Free trade is part of that. It has been since Adam Smith. Keynes solidified its position in the modern era.

American liberals do/did support free trade. See: Woodrow Wilson, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama
Last edited by Geilinor on Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:I don't consider America's definition of "liberalism" (which is some kind of odd authoritarian centre-rightism) valid. I'm talking about liberalism as defined by those who founded it. Economic, political, personal, and social liberalism as a combined ideology. Free trade is part of that. It has been since Adam Smith. Keynes solidified its position in the modern era.

Well America still rules the world so until china takes over the American defn is the one I'm going to stick with.

American 'logic' at work.
TG me. Just do it.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Galloism wrote:
Wrong.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Bus ... ble-Income

The fact that you refuse to read that the shared responsibility payment meets all the statutory provisions of an income tax, and congress is empowered to levy income tax by the 16th amendment, does not invalidate the truth of what gives them that power: the 16th amendment.

Meh screw it 16 th amendment wasnt properly ratified therefor it too is unconstitutional . :lol:
Lol JK not going down the insane tax resistor rabbit hole. But ok let's say obamacare is a legit tax despite basically everyone who authored it and supporting it saying it wasn't/isn't ok ignore congressional intent. But then you can't legitimately claim that anyone who voted for it isn't a truly abysmal hypocritical lying piece of shit of the highest order. Even for politician level of ethics what they did was pretty damn brazen.

Or ignorant. You seem to be under this bizarre impression that the people who pass the laws always fully understand what they did.

Nothing could be further from the truth.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:59 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:I don't consider America's definition of "liberalism" (which is some kind of odd authoritarian centre-rightism) valid. I'm talking about liberalism as defined by those who founded it. Economic, political, personal, and social liberalism as a combined ideology. Free trade is part of that. It has been since Adam Smith. Keynes solidified its position in the modern era.

American liberals are/were Keynesians and do/did support free trade. See: Bill Clinton, Barack Obama

Keynesians, no. Free trade, yes.
TG me. Just do it.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:59 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
Geilinor wrote:American liberals are/were Keynesians and do/did support free trade. See: Bill Clinton, Barack Obama

Keynesians, no. Free trade, yes.

How are they not? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_liberalism_in_the_United_States
Keynesian economic theory has played a central role in the economic philosophy of modern American liberals.[8] The argument has been that national prosperity requires government management of the macroeconomy, to keep unemployment low, inflation in check, and growth high.[8]
Last edited by Geilinor on Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:02 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:Keynesians, no. Free trade, yes.

How are they not?

They've both supported numerous supply-side policies. They're part of what most of the world's leadership is: Neoclassical synthesis.
TG me. Just do it.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:02 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
Geilinor wrote:How are they not?

They've both supported numerous supply-side policies. They're part of what most of the world's leadership is: Neoclassical synthesis.

By Keynesian, I meant that most American liberals are. Support for fiscal stimulus being an example.
Last edited by Geilinor on Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:They've both supported numerous supply-side policies. They're part of what most of the world's leadership is: Neoclassical synthesis.

By Keynesian, I meant that most American liberals are.

I don't think "most" people of any variety have enough economic education to adhere to one school of thought. But if you had a poll showing otherwise, I'd be really interested. And impressed.
TG me. Just do it.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:05 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:Keynesians, no. Free trade, yes.

How are they not? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_liberalism_in_the_United_States
Keynesian economic theory has played a central role in the economic philosophy of modern American liberals.[8] The argument has been that national prosperity requires government management of the macroeconomy, to keep unemployment low, inflation in check, and growth high.[8]

My general point is the underlined.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:06 pm

Geilinor wrote:

My general point is the underlined.

Wikipedia is not a great source.
TG me. Just do it.

Rednekylvania
Spokesperson

Founded: May 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Rednekylvania » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:10 pm

Galloism wrote:
BK117B2 wrote:

Now all you gotta do is explain what justifies congressional authority that can compel income activity to be taxed. Though personally I'd find it hilarious if they used this logic to compel the unemployed to get a job, as unlikely as that might be.
Life is never simple, because most people living are.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:14 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:The founding fathers had no issue with how the legal system worked, so yes it does.

Umm actually they did have an issue with how it worked very much so.[citation needed] How it was unfavorably skewed toward native britains and excluded British troops from local colonial prosecutions (at least in some instances).

Your example has nothing at all to do with the workings of a common law system.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Cote d Argent
Attaché

Founded: Jun 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cote d Argent » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:14 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Cote d Argent wrote:Only by pedigree. Nothing American about his agenda.

What would an American agenda be?

Free enterprise personal responsibility guns and Jesus

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:15 pm

Cote d Argent wrote:
Geilinor wrote:What would an American agenda be?

Free enterprise personal responsibility guns and Jesus

And most importantly, no grammar.
TG me. Just do it.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:15 pm

Rednekylvania wrote:
Galloism wrote:

Now all you gotta do is explain what justifies congressional authority that can compel income activity to be taxed. Though personally I'd find it hilarious if they used this logic to compel the unemployed to get a job, as unlikely as that might be.

I have no idea what the hell you're asking me.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:16 pm

Galloism wrote:
Rednekylvania wrote:Now all you gotta do is explain what justifies congressional authority that can compel income activity to be taxed. Though personally I'd find it hilarious if they used this logic to compel the unemployed to get a job, as unlikely as that might be.

I have no idea what the hell you're asking me.

If I had to guess, it'd be this.
explain what justifies congressional authority that can compel income activity to be taxed
TG me. Just do it.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:19 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
Galloism wrote:I have no idea what the hell you're asking me.

If I had to guess, it'd be this.
explain what justifies congressional authority that can compel income activity to be taxed

I don't know what he means by "compel" in this context. If he's asking how can we tax income: the 16th amendment.

If he's asking how can we treat constructively received income as income for tax purposes, that's due to common law principles regarding timing and receipt of income.
Last edited by Galloism on Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cote d Argent
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Cote d Argent » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:37 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
Cote d Argent wrote:Free enterprise personal responsibility guns and Jesus

And most importantly, no grammar.

Sentences are best left up to the free market. Dont want faceless bureaucrats or ivory tower liberals telling free men how to type on the intertubes

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:37 pm

Cote d Argent wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:And most importantly, no grammar.

Sentences are best left up to the free market. Dont want faceless bureaucrats or ivory tower liberals telling free men how to type on the intertubes

I prefer a national language service.
TG me. Just do it.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:38 pm

Galloism wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
Meh screw it 16 th amendment wasnt properly ratified therefor it too is unconstitutional . :lol:
Lol JK not going down the insane tax resistor rabbit hole. But ok let's say obamacare is a legit tax despite basically everyone who authored it and supporting it saying it wasn't/isn't ok ignore congressional intent. But then you can't legitimately claim that anyone who voted for it isn't a truly abysmal hypocritical lying piece of shit of the highest order. Even for politician level of ethics what they did was pretty damn brazen.

Or ignorant. You seem to be under this bizarre impression that the people who pass the laws always fully understand what they did.

I think it not unwise then that we demand every law maker take a written test over all pending legislation before they are allowed to vote on it.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:40 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:Umm actually they did have an issue with how it worked very much so.[citation needed] How it was unfavorably skewed toward native britains and excluded British troops from local colonial prosecutions (at least in some instances).

Your example has nothing at all to do with the workings of a common law system.

Theoretically no, in terms of practice andgiven its unlikely the average 18 th century colonist didn't make a distinction between theory and practice I would say it is very relevant.

Cote d Argent
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Cote d Argent » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:40 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
Cote d Argent wrote:Sentences are best left up to the free market. Dont want faceless bureaucrats or ivory tower liberals telling free men how to type on the intertubes

I prefer a national language service.

Sounds like it would kill jobs and subsidize abortion

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:41 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Or ignorant. You seem to be under this bizarre impression that the people who pass the laws always fully understand what they did.

I think it not unwise then that we demand every law maker take a written test over all pending legislation before they are allowed to vote on it.

And you thought congress was slow before.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:41 pm

Cote d Argent wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:I prefer a national language service.

Sounds like it would kill jobs and subsidize abortion

Posts with no grammar are aborted, yes.
TG me. Just do it.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General