NATION

PASSWORD

[US Election 2016] Democratic Primary Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who Do You Support In The Democratic Primaries?

Hillary Clinton
18%
Bernie Sanders
82%

Total votes : 316

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Twilight Imperium » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:29 pm

Camicon wrote:
Twilight Imperium wrote:
Supreme Court justices are in for life. His death means we don't have to deal with him anymore.

Ding dong~!

There's no reason to gloat over his death, because you have disagreements with what his political positions were.

You and I will not agree on this, so I'll bow out.

while humming

The United Territories of Providence
Minister

Founded: May 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Territories of Providence » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:21 pm

According to The WhiteHouse, President Obama will nominate a new Supreme Court Justice.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

FORMER REPUBLICAN
SOCIAL DEMOCRAT
Economic: -2.5
Social: -5.28

LGBTQ Rights
Palestine
Medicare for All
Gender Equality
Green Energy
Legal Immigration
Abortion rights
Democracy
Assault Weapons Ban
Censorship
MRA
Fundamentalism
Fascism
Political Correctness
Fascism
Monarchy
Illegal Immigration
Capitalism
Free Trade

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:55 pm

I decided to use isidewith.com to see how well the results there match with my impressions of the candidates that I've formed by looking at election coverage. Apparently, I agree with Bernie Sanders and Jill Stein about a lot of things, and Rubio is just a big ball of wrongness.

The United Territories of Providence wrote:According to The WhiteHouse, President Obama will nominate a new Supreme Court Justice.

He should do that.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Founded: May 19, 2013

Postby Twilight Imperium » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:15 pm

New Jerzylvania
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jerzylvania » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:16 pm

The United Territories of Providence wrote:According to The WhiteHouse, President Obama will nominate a new Supreme Court Justice.

He'd be correctly perceived as extremely weak if he doesn't.
DEFCON 1

Clinton/Kaine 2016

It is the solemn and patriotic duty of all true Americans to prevent the election of Donald J. Trump as the next President of the United States by use of the ballot box.
Even if it means you might have to be called for jury duty!

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:17 pm

HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

New Jerzylvania
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jerzylvania » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:18 pm

Mitch McConnell, the man that said in November 2008 that his goal was to make Obama a one term failed president. Same asshole shit from Mitch. BTW, Mitch failed then too. :lol:
DEFCON 1

Clinton/Kaine 2016

It is the solemn and patriotic duty of all true Americans to prevent the election of Donald J. Trump as the next President of the United States by use of the ballot box.
Even if it means you might have to be called for jury duty!

Wallonesia
Secretary

Founded: Jan 31, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Wallonesia » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:19 pm

Nope, I am not Belgian, Dutch nor French and I do not speak any French as well. Sorry to disappoint.

Wallonesia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Wallonesia » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:26 pm

I'm intrigued of the chances that Sanders could run as an Independent if, most likely, he concedes the ticket to HRC.

By the name of people power, would he thrive or would he pull off another Nader v Gore in the general elections?

Sincerely, not an American yet enthusiastic about the state of the race
Nope, I am not Belgian, Dutch nor French and I do not speak any French as well. Sorry to disappoint.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Wallonesia wrote:I'm intrigued of the chances that Sanders could run as an Independent if, most likely, he concedes the ticket to HRC.

By the name of people power, would he thrive or would he pull off another Nader v Gore in the general elections?

he wont do it.
whatever

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:54 pm

Wallonesia wrote:I'm intrigued of the chances that Sanders could run as an Independent if, most likely, he concedes the ticket to HRC.

I don't think he would run as an independent.

TBH, I probably wouldn't vote for him if he did, even though I like him. If you run in a primary and lose, you need to bow out for the good of your party. If you don't respect the party enough to do that, then you should run as an independent from the beginning and not stick your nose in other people's primaries. It's just being a bad sport to stay in the race if you lose the primaries. That's part of what caused the Civil War. Of course, there was a powderkeg of underlying issues with slavery and all that, but the reason the 1860 election set it off is because some Democrats decided to run against each other instead of uniting behind just one candidate.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:08 pm

Sanders has openly stated that he will not run as an independent, and will, if he is not the nominee, support the Democratic nominee in the general election. His reasoning is that the Republican field is so horrifying that this is no time to play games.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:15 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Sanders has openly stated that he will not run as an independent, and will, if he is not the nominee, support the Democratic nominee in the general election. His reasoning is that the Republican field is so horrifying that this is no time to play games.

Well, he's got his head planted firmly on his shoulders.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Well, he is right about the Republicans. They are pretty horrifying.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010

Postby Myrensis » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:25 pm

New Jerzylvania wrote:
Wallenburg wrote:Not funny. Hate him as much as you want, but don't gloat over his death.

Oh yes, and when they try to hold up any appointment Obama tries to make, it will boost Democratic turnout in the general. This can only benefit the democrats in underscoring the obstructionist policies of the GOP.
The gridlock in DC which makes the electorate so angry can be hung freshly around their neck.

Pretty much, and yet the GOP doesn't have any choice. Not just because their base demands obstruction and tantrum throwing, but because Scalia was one of the most shamelessly partisan conservative Judges on the bench, him being replaced by a more liberal or moderate Justice would be an absolute disaster for them.

Wallonesia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Wallonesia » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:32 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

OK, I got the idea that it's nearly impossible for Bernie to do that, and I agree that its unsportsmanlike to do such thing. But if he really went for the Independent ticket would it really break the set of Democratic voters?

Looking back at IA and NH mainstream members of Dem backed Hillary but so-called "millennials", new age groups and first-time voters supported Sanders, therefore explaining his victory in the FITN primary, hands-down. They held an overwhelming number of votes in NH, likewise in the whole nation. So could he win the election if it was a three way race including him, a GOP and Hillary?
Last edited by Wallonesia on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:34 pm

Wallonesia wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

OK, I got the idea that it's nearly impossible for Bernie to do that, and I agree that its unsportsmanlike to do such thing. But if he really went for the Independent ticket would it really break the set of Democratic voters?

Looking back at IA and NH mainstream members of Dem backed Hillary but so-called "millennials", new age groups and first-time voters supported Sanders, therefore explaining his victory in the FITN primary, hands-down. They held an overwhelming number of votes in NH, likewise in the whole nation. So could he win the election if it was a three way race including him, a GOP and Hillary?

He would absolutely draw a good amount of the Democratic base away from Clinton. However, I doubt that it would be sufficient to do anything but to put the GOP nominee in the White House.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:46 pm

Wallonesia wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

I don't think so because there's a huge number of people that don't vote in the Democratic primaries who will be voting in the general election. For example, there are Republicans.

Trumpostan
Minister

Founded: Sep 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumpostan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:52 pm

New Jerzylvania wrote:
Wallenburg wrote:Not funny. Hate him as much as you want, but don't gloat over his death.

Correct. He was about 79 and people can be expected to pass away at that age, especially men. We should respect the dead.

However, the timing of his death will not be something the right will be happy with and we can be grateful the timing leaves enough room within the remaining Obama Presidency to make the next appointment.

Oh yes, and when they try to hold up any appointment Obama tries to make, it will boost Democratic turnout in the general. This can only benefit the democrats in underscoring the obstructionist policies of the GOP.
The gridlock in DC which makes the electorate so angry can be hung freshly around their neck.

That's exactly what should be done. Nominate a good liberal by the end of march and make the republicans obstruct, block and throw temper tantrums. Then follow up ith campaign ads: GOP obstructionists strike again(like the last 7 yeats).

Everything must be done to wipe the stench of Scalia's bigotry away by finding someone who is not a major league right wing bigot.
I do not support Donald J. Trump
Inverted Flag Law: US Code Title 4 Section 8 Paragraph (a): The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The United States of America has been in a state of dire distress since November 8, 2016. Flying the flag upside down is not only our right, it is our duty!
Make Maine Massachusetts again!

Trumpostan
Minister

Founded: Sep 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumpostan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:56 pm

The corpse was still warm when the obstructionist America haters declared they were going to obstruct because they hate America. The GOP fears there could be permanently one less bigot in the SCOTUS.
I do not support Donald J. Trump
Inverted Flag Law: US Code Title 4 Section 8 Paragraph (a): The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The United States of America has been in a state of dire distress since November 8, 2016. Flying the flag upside down is not only our right, it is our duty!
Make Maine Massachusetts again!

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010

Postby Myrensis » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:59 pm

Wallonesia wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

The only thing Sanders running independent will accomplish is splitting the Democrat vote and handing Republicans the White House. Even Trump could probably win under those circumstances.

Though frankly this is a concern anyway with some of his supporters and this 'Bernie or Bust' nonsense. Apparently giving Republicans complete control of Congress and the White House, almost certainly at least one if not several Supreme Court appointments, and otherwise paving the way for the progressive agenda to be crushed into the dirt for a generation is, in the minds of all these oh so wise college kids, better than settling for a candidate who only agrees with them 90% of the time.

Wallonesia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Wallonesia » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:05 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
I don't think so because there's a huge number of people that don't vote in the Democratic primaries who will be voting in the general election. For example, there are Republicans.

Didn't we all agree on "republicans win only when voter turnout is low"? If a candidate is popular enough to lure the whole undecided lot, surely anything could happen

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:10 pm

Myrensis wrote:
Wallonesia wrote:

The only thing Sanders running independent will accomplish is splitting the Democrat vote and handing Republicans the White House. Even Trump could probably win under those circumstances.

Though frankly this is a concern anyway with some of his supporters and this 'Bernie or Bust' nonsense. Apparently giving Republicans complete control of Congress and the White House, almost certainly at least one if not several Supreme Court appointments, and otherwise paving the way for the progressive agenda to be crushed into the dirt for a generation is, in the minds of all these oh so wise college kids, better than settling for a candidate who only agrees with them 90% of the time.

Nobody is actually that stupid. If Clinton wins the nomination, Sanders will throw his support behind her, and urge everyone who supported him to vote for her. And they will, because the alternative is probably going to be too terrifying to contemplate.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:13 pm

Myrensis wrote:Though frankly this is a concern anyway with some of his supporters and this 'Bernie or Bust' nonsense. Apparently giving Republicans complete control of Congress and the White House, almost certainly at least one if not several Supreme Court appointments, and otherwise paving the way for the progressive agenda to be crushed into the dirt for a generation is, in the minds of all these oh so wise college kids, better than settling for a candidate who only agrees with them 90% of the time.

Right, because electing a reed in the political winds who 'agrees' with us 90% of the time primarily because Bernie has pulled her to the left because if she doesn't pander somewhat to his base, she'll lose, with a long history of rather unsavory actions, significantly disliked among independent voters, trusted by just about no one and who talks down to us is prime candidate material for us, and means that the already-politically involved will not vote for third-parties for president and Democrats downticket.

But no, it's that Hillary isn't PERFECT. You got us. I agree with Bernie 100% of the time.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:15 pm

Myrensis wrote:The only thing Sanders running independent will accomplish is splitting the Democrat vote and handing Republicans the White House. Even Trump could probably win under those circumstances.

Yeah, like I actually agree with Hillary 90% of the time. I don't even know what I agree with her on due to her unreliability.

However, I do think the "Bernie or Bust" thing is stupid. I'll just probably vote for a different candidate if he doesn't win.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General