NATION

PASSWORD

Windows vs Mac vs Linux

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Lipnitia
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Windows vs Mac vs Linux

Postby Lipnitia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:40 pm

Before you start debating which of these OS' works the smoothest and which is 'superior to the others', read the Opening Post.

OK, N.S.G., I can bet you a million dollars that this topic has been brought up here before, yet I did not notice any threads in which posting wouldn't be considered grave-digging. Let's just get straight to the point: Which Operating system do you use, Which you Prefer and Why? State your Version/Distribution (if you have Linux like me).

Personally, I am a Linux Mint "Rebecca" 17.1 user, and couldn’t be happier with my operating system, simply because it has a simple GUI, all the features you need (LibreOffice, GIMP, Banshee, Thunderbird, Bluetooth) and everything runs smoothly. Until later last year, I considered myself a Windows user through and through. I think I've used nearly all the versions throughout my lifetime: 3.1, 95, 98 (<3), 2000, Millennium Edition (D:), XP (<3), 7 (<3). When mainstream support for 7 ended, I had no choice. Either another OS or 8/8.1. I chose another OS. I never considered myself a fan of Apple products, so I thought Linux would be a wise choice. I took a shot at it, found the one I feel like fits me best and BOOM! Linux Mint has been installed.

Now I'll just leave it to you guys! Enjoy!
ЖЖЖ Wiki ЖЖ Factbook ЖЖ Esquarium ЖЖ Embassies ЖЖ Anthem ЖЖ Website ЖЖЖ
FOR: Cats, Bacon, Cats (again), Heavy Metal, Classic Rock, '80s music, Bears
AGAINST: Trolls, Flamers, Today's music
Brillnuck wrote:A more Western Belarus.
Fortitudinem wrote:Garish color themes of candycorn.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:44 pm

¿Por qué no los tres?
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Mienon
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Mienon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:46 pm

Lipnitia wrote:Before you start debating which of these OS' works the smoothest and which is 'superior to the others', read the Opening Post.

OK, N.S.G., I can bet you a million dollars that this topic has been brought up here before, yet I did not notice any threads in which posting wouldn't be considered grave-digging. Let's just get straight to the point: Which Operating system do you use, Which you Prefer and Why? State your Version/Distribution (if you have Linux like me).

Personally, I am a Linux Mint "Rebecca" 17.1 user, and couldn’t be happier with my operating system, simply because it has a simple GUI, all the features you need (LibreOffice, GIMP, Banshee, Thunderbird, Bluetooth) and everything runs smoothly. Until later last year, I considered myself a Windows user through and through. I think I've used nearly all the versions throughout my lifetime: 3.1, 95, 98 (<3), 2000, Millennium Edition (D:), XP (<3), 7 (<3). When mainstream support for 7 ended, I had no choice. Either another OS or 8/8.1. I chose another OS. I never considered myself a fan of Apple products, so I thought Linux would be a wise choice. I took a shot at it, found the one I feel like fits me best and BOOM! Linux Mint has been installed.

You didn't need to switch from Windows 7 yet. The end of mainstream support means basically nothing. extended is still happening, so you're still safe from viruses and the like.
I my self use Windows Vista, but I may switch t 7 when I can get enough money for an install disc. I've fooled with Linux a little, but mainly because of games, I've stayed on Windows.
Oh, and I won't even CONSIDER Apple. It's just too damn expensive and a lot of programs don't run on it.
Last edited by Mienon on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White, Bi, trans-girl, atheist, INTP personality.
Pro/Con
Pro: Anarcho-Capitalism, Neo-Reaction, Physical Removal, Alt-Right
Neutral: Monarchism
Anti: Leftism, Democracy
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 6.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.54

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature

Lipnitia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lipnitia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:47 pm

Torisakia wrote:¿Por qué no los tres?

Triple Boot? Interesting.

Lipnitia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lipnitia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:48 pm

Mienon wrote:
Lipnitia wrote:Before you start debating which of these OS' works the smoothest and which is 'superior to the others', read the Opening Post.

You didn't need to switch from Windows 7 yet. The end of mainstream support means basically nothing. extended is still happening, so you're still safe from viruses and the like.
I my self use Windows Vista, but I may switch t 7 when I can get enough money for an install disc. I've fooled with Linux a little, but mainly because of games, I've stayed on Windows.

I'm still glad I installed Linux, because there was a major problem with the amount of RAM the system took. Now it's light like a feather lying on my hard drive.

Lipnitia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lipnitia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:52 pm

Mienon wrote:

I've fooled with Linux a little, but mainly because of games, I've stayed on Windows.

Well, I don't play any games so I guess Linux suits me well.

Mienon
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Mienon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:52 pm

Lipnitia wrote:I'm still glad I installed Linux, because there was a major problem with the amount of RAM the system took. Now it's light like a feather lying on my hard drive.

How much RAM did you have? Unless you had only 1 or 2 gigs (depending on if you had 32- or 64- bit) 7 shouldn't have been an issue.
White, Bi, trans-girl, atheist, INTP personality.
Pro/Con
Pro: Anarcho-Capitalism, Neo-Reaction, Physical Removal, Alt-Right
Neutral: Monarchism
Anti: Leftism, Democracy
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 6.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.54

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature

Lipnitia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lipnitia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:00 pm

Mienon wrote:
Lipnitia wrote:I'm still glad I installed Linux, because there was a major problem with the amount of RAM the system took. Now it's light like a feather lying on my hard drive.

How much RAM did you have? Unless you had only 1 or 2 gigs (depending on if you had 32- or 64- bit) 7 shouldn't have been an issue.

4 gigs of RAM and 11 gigs free space,

Lipnitia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lipnitia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:01 pm

Mienon wrote:

It's just that I customized the hell out of it, including system sounds, themes, desktop icons, and many more, and until I replaced it along with the installation of Linux my CMOS battery was dead.

edit: typo
Last edited by Lipnitia on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:07 pm

Citoyen Français. Bonapartiste Républicain (aka De Gaule's Gaullisme) with Keynesian leanings on economics. Latin Christian.

Emelinia
Attaché

Founded: Oct 17, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Emelinia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:17 pm

I have always been a Windows user, from Windows 98 to Windows 8.1. I've stuck with Windows because it has always worked for me and has never given me any problems. It runs all of my applications (Adobe Creative Suite, OpenOffice, iStudiez Pro..) and supports so much more.

However, I have flirted with Macs and Ubuntu before. I use OS X whenever my parents can't figure out how to do something like installing their 6th printer this year. OS X has a very smooth and refined interface. What prevents me from jumping ship is the cost of a Mac. I can grab a decently performing PC for much less. When I had an aging laptop a few years back, I used Ubuntu. I loved how it was ready to work instantly after logging in. No waiting for things to load like in Windows land. Sadly, it couldn't run Adobe without WINE and dual booting was just too much of a pain.

Overall, I choose Windows for its value and vast application support.
Emelinian Republic

Prime Minister: Liam Stone
Vice Prime Minister: Michael Stromberg
Secondary Nation: South Emelinia
Capital: Ecklund
DEFCON: 1 2 3 4 5
Personal

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:32 pm

For gaming I use Windows.

For my RL job I use Linux, currently Debian, but I'm known to use Ubuntu as well.

For NS I use both. Yes, I NS on my job (but not that much, mostly killing spambots and urgent matters).
Last edited by The Blaatschapen on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Blaatschapen should resign

New Reutlingen
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Reutlingen » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:06 pm

Windows is great if you're looking to play Vidya... and catching viruses.
Mac is great if you're trying to do work... and trying to look like a hipster.
Linux is great for freedom and "muh GNU"... and being essentially useless for mainstream software.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:07 pm

There is a right answer here.

It's Plan 9 from Bell Labs *nods*
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:08 pm

I strictly use Windows (Currently 7, considering an upgrade to 8.1), because it does what I need it to do. Neither Linux nor Mac provide a comparable selection of video games, Windows has good first-party software for office work, and self-built windows computers are generally both faster and cheeper than Macs. I also stay away from Linux because it just doesn't have enough software compared to its competitors.

I will say that Macs are great for video editing and art projects. Windows really can't compare.
Last edited by Skappola on Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Skappola wrote:I strictly use windows, because it does what I need it to do. Neither Linux nor Mac provide a comparable selection of video games, Windows has good first-party software for office work, and self-built windows computers are generally both faster and cheeper than Macs. I also stay away from Linux because it just doesn't have enough software compared to its competitors.

I will say that Macs are great for video editing and art projects. Windows really can't compare.

Maybe circa 2000. But the idea that you get any better performance for video or art projects on OS X now is pure marketing. Adobe Creative Suite works just as well on Windows as it does on OS X. The same for nearly all cross platform art programs.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Geanna
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Geanna » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:14 pm

Windows 7 - Refused to upgrade to 8 & 8.1. Though was fun to watch Microsoft scramble when their stocks took a hit following that charade. Windows 10 - I was going to wait and see, and it appears like they've gone back to the familiarity of Pre-Windows 8, and fused some features from 8. So I may upgrade then - may - if it proves to be shit like 8, I'll just switch over to Linux indefinitely. My view on Mac - it can brandish its face with a double-slug, I dare not touch that rubbish.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

"We dance on the lines of our destruction and continuation, to waltz and achieve the happiness of our existence, and to be the laughter in a world of silence."

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:15 pm

Windows, mostly because of lack of time to learn how to setup Linux, love of PC games, and being slightly intimidated by the complexity of setting up and working with Linux. I'm pretty computer savvy, but my computer science career aspirations crashed and burned when I failed out of my C++ class due to my brain not being able to handle the complexity involved.

Libreng
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libreng » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:22 pm

Windows. It's compatible with most software, does not require an obscene amount of setting up just to make "powerful," is relatively affordable, etc.
Limited government, constitutional republicanism, free markets -- Moderate Republican
"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none." ~President Thomas Jefferson

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:22 pm

Windows, I like Win 7 and 10 looks full of win.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:23 pm

Pay up. :p

I'm a Mac.
Last edited by Kaboomlandia on Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Aalmark
Envoy

Founded: May 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Aalmark » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Linux confuses me, as my 90 year old grandfather with Alzheimers disease living in rural Friesland likely is more tech savvy than I am. I've always used Windows, as I'm accustomed to it, it's usually inexpensive, and it seems more user friendly than Apple. That being said, any metaphorical battle between operating systems is retarded, frankly.
Aalmark's Wikipedia | Obnoxious and Stereotypical NSG Sigs[Expanded] | Interested in MT, RP regions? Why not Tiandi? |The Dude who Runs Aalmark

Pro: Libertarian-Conservatism, National Liberalism, LGB Rights, Free Markets, Nederland, NATO, Soft Euroscepticism, EU Reform.
Anti: Socialism, Leftism, Islamism, Scots Independence, Aboriginal Special Rights, Theocracies, Special Snowflakes, Furries, Palestine, Russia.

Political Compass Thang: Economic Right: 6.56, Social Authoritarian: 1.28

Jrvakiim
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jrvakiim » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:01 pm

My first experience with a desktop Linux was about 5 years ago when I switched to Fedora and I learned how to use it pretty much through trial and error, especially considering its instability and lack of user friendliness. Since then I have been more or less nomadic with distros (mostly Ubuntu, as well as smaller more ephemeral distros) and occasionally dual booting Windows.
I can't hate you for your choice in software but here's how I feel about each OS:

Windows: tbh, I used to be a Microsoft fanboy until I switched to Linux. Hated Windows 8, but Use 8.1 on my tablet. I am cautiously interested to see what they do with windows 10, not that I'll fully switch

Mac/OSX/IOS: I have used IOS in the past on a regular basis, and I have used IMacs at school (usually running windows though), I havent used OSX enough to have an opinion. I also don't have the money.

Ubuntu: Had been my primary OS for the past few years, I liked unity (after tweaking it) but cant blame anyone for hating it. I like their ambition but would prefer if it helped the greater community instead of going off on their own each time, and if Shuttleworth stopped trying to be Steve Jobs.

Fedora: Switched back to it around F20/F21. Since then I've begun to more or less phase out using nonfree software (still use steam though). Now Using F22 and it finally feels complete, stable, and fully integrated with GNOME.

BLAG: I have also used the 100% Linux-Libre Fedora Based distro BLAG regularly on my laptop. BLAG Linux and GNU was developed by le Brixton Linux Action Group with the admirable goal to "overthrow corporate control of information and technology through
community action and spreading Free Software."

Confederate Ramenia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Confederate Ramenia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:16 pm

Why aren't you including the BSDs?
The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is a genuine workers' state in which all the people are completely liberated from exploitation and oppression. The workers, peasants, soldiers and intellectuals are the true masters of their destiny and are in a unique position to defend their interests.
The Flutterlands wrote:Because human life and dignity is something that should be universally valued above all things in society.

Benito Mussolini wrote:Everybody has the right to create for himself his own ideology and to attempt to enforce it with all the energy of which he is capable.

I disown most of my previous posts

Jrvakiim
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jrvakiim » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:22 pm

I have tried to test FreeBSD in the past but like Arch Linux I had trouble without a GUI

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General