NATION

PASSWORD

Debate Teams?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:43 pm

And on a wider note; what actualy happens at a debate club? Is there a 'winner' or do you just agree to disagree failing a conclusive position?
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:44 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Besides, who needs a debate team with NSG at your fingertips?

Yeah, but its so impersonal, and I cant win just with better speaking ability, :p

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:44 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:I don't like debates because scoring points is the goal of debating, rather than getting to the truth.

Hmm... While MUN is still point oriented, its far less so than the standard debate club. You really get into your character and really just want to pass your resolution to improve the world (although it's fun being countries such as Saudi Arabia in committees centering around religious freedom, for example). At the end, when you're reminded of awards, usually you're like, "Oh, yeah. Cool."
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

The High Lizzleness
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The High Lizzleness » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:45 pm

We have a Model UN at my school, but I can't fit in with any of my other extracurriculars...

I AM in Mock Trial, which is pretty close, even if you're a witness like me.

Triumphs include infuriating lawyers, winning a very difficult case even with a waaaay under prepared defense lawyer, and being the top witness for two straight years.
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:45 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:And on a wider note; what actualy happens at a debate club? Is there a 'winner' or do you just agree to disagree failing a conclusive position?

I think Judges award Points...

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:45 pm

Maurepas wrote:Yeah, but its so impersonal, and I cant win just with better speaking ability, :p

That's a good thing Maurepas. :p
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:45 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:And on a wider note; what actualy happens at a debate club? Is there a 'winner' or do you just agree to disagree failing a conclusive position?

In MUN, there are about 7 awards in each committee (fewer if its a smaller committee). But your real reward is getting your resolution passed (or your court case won, whatever the situation may be).
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:47 pm

Maurepas wrote:

I think Judges award Points...

Oh.... :unsure:
On the one 'debate' I attended in my club we didn't have points.
Our teacher just decided who the best.... ;)

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:47 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Yeah, but its so impersonal, and I cant win just with better speaking ability, :p

From an academic standpoint, sure, but, its not as good for the stroking of the ego, :lol:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:48 pm

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:Oh.... :unsure:

**BIAS WARNING**
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Tunizcha wrote:Our debate team pretty much only debates with other schools' debate teams in the local area. Mostly over politics and civil rights, but I remember we once had a conference on whether Star Wars or Star Trek was better.

Those are the best. If you have a good chair, he or she will know when a debate is going nowhere and everyone's sick of it. So we might go into a crisis that makes no real sense. For example, we once had a crisis where Koalas were taking over the world and were currently trying to overthrow the king of Atlantis. To solve the crisis, we planted the world's eucalyptus plants upside down to try to starve them and sent an army of platypi to combat the Koala army at the Atlantian front.

:/

Yup.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:49 pm

Maurepas wrote:

From an academic standpoint, sure, but, its not as good for the stroking of the ego, :lol:

Besides, its fun making wild hand gestures. :p
Last edited by Buffett and Colbert on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:49 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Those are the best. If you have a good chair, he or she will know when a debate is going nowhere and everyone's sick of it. So we might go into a crisis that makes no real sense. For example, we once had a crisis where Koalas were taking over the world and were currently trying to overthrow the king of Atlantis. To solve the crisis, we planted the world's eucalyptus plants upside down to try to starve them and sent an army of platypi to combat the Koala army at the Atlantian front.

Yup.

*Note to self: Do not join Model UN*

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:49 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Those are the best. If you have a good chair, he or she will know when a debate is going nowhere and everyone's sick of it. So we might go into a crisis that makes no real sense. For example, we once had a crisis where Koalas were taking over the world and were currently trying to overthrow the king of Atlantis. To solve the crisis, we planted the world's eucalyptus plants upside down to try to starve them and sent an army of platypi to combat the Koala army at the Atlantian front.

Yup.

*Note to self: Do not join Model UN*

That rarely happens though. :lol: Usually we're productive. :lol2:

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:50 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Besides, its fun making wild hand gestures. :p

I usually pace and flail about my hands while making a point. I think it looks rather dramatic, as if the fate of the world rests on my arguments. :lol:

Tunizcha
Senator

Founded: Mar 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tunizcha » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:51 pm

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:Oh.... :unsure:

**BIAS WARNING**

In the early days, it was the same with our debate club. We got two teachers to supervise and judge the debate. We once had a debate on the merits of abortion with two uber-conservative history teachers.

Horrible.
Barzan wrote: I'll stick with rape, thank you.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:It's Rape night on NSG.
*/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ

This is Koji. Copy and paste Koji to your sig so he can acheive world domination.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:51 pm

I usually pace and flail about my hands while making a point. I think it looks rather dramatic, as if the fate of the world rests on my arguments. :lol:

Everyone develops their own habits in these sorts of clubs. I, for example, seem to pinch the thumb and forefinger of my right hand and move it all over the place whilst, pacing the room. Hey, I know people who've hit themselves when their hands were flinging around too much...

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Tunizcha
Senator

Founded: Mar 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tunizcha » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:52 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:

Everyone develops their own habits in these sorts of clubs. I, for example, seem to pinch the thumb and forefinger of my right hand and move it all over the place whilst, pacing the room. Hey, I know people who've hit themselves when their hands were flinging around too much...

I tend to do random hand gestures to distract the other team. You may call it dirty, but I'm in it to win.

:D
Barzan wrote: I'll stick with rape, thank you.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:It's Rape night on NSG.
*/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ

This is Koji. Copy and paste Koji to your sig so he can acheive world domination.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:53 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Everyone develops their own habits in these sorts of clubs. I, for example, seem to pinch the thumb and forefinger of my right hand and move it all over the place whilst, pacing the room. Hey, I know people who've hit themselves when their hands were flinging around too much...

I try to keep my hands about seven inches away from my face at all times, and above my collarbone. When I become particularly involved in a point, my hands go higher, rather than closer to my face. I also avoid eye contact, as it makes me nervous.

Sir Ljoy
Secretary

Founded: Oct 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sir Ljoy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:53 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Well, I had gotten to thinking, "Is there anybody on NSG that debates or debated on a team/club/whatever?" Well NSG, how many of you are on a debate team or something of the sort? How many of you were on one? If you are/were on on, could you share your experiences/tips and tricks? Any epic wins/fails you remember?

Also, in a couple of weeks, my Model United Nations team and I are going to DC to take part in the NAIMUN (North American Invitational Model United Nations) conference. Have any of you gone to such conferences? And out of curiosity... is there anyone going to NAIMUN? o.0

Oooh! Oooh! I'm going to NAIMUN XLVII, what committee are you in?

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:54 pm

I didnt know I had a habit when I argue, until my friends pointed it out to me that I tend to gesture my hand as if Im literally trying to push it in their heads, :lol2:

The High Lizzleness
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The High Lizzleness » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:58 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Everyone develops their own habits in these sorts of clubs. I, for example, seem to pinch the thumb and forefinger of my right hand and move it all over the place whilst, pacing the room. Hey, I know people who've hit themselves when their hands were flinging around too much...

Since I'm usually sitting in a chair, I try to look as nonchalant and calm as I can. The prosecution always tries to get a rise out of me, but it isn't happening. I try to use hand motions when I can, but most important is looking calm.
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:59 pm

Sir Ljoy wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Well, I had gotten to thinking, "Is there anybody on NSG that debates or debated on a team/club/whatever?" Well NSG, how many of you are on a debate team or something of the sort? How many of you were on one? If you are/were on on, could you share your experiences/tips and tricks? Any epic wins/fails you remember?

Also, in a couple of weeks, my Model United Nations team and I are going to DC to take part in the NAIMUN (North American Invitational Model United Nations) conference. Have any of you gone to such conferences? And out of curiosity... is there anyone going to NAIMUN? o.0

Vete pa' carajo. :p

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:59 pm

Tunizcha wrote:

I tend to do random hand gestures to distract the other team. You may call it dirty, but I'm in it to win.

:D

*high fives*

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Sir Ljoy
Secretary

Founded: Oct 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sir Ljoy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:59 pm

Sir Ljoy wrote:

Vete pa' carajo. :p

Tu sabes que yo te amo.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General