NATION

PASSWORD

Debate Teams?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Debate Teams?

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:26 pm

Well, I had gotten to thinking, "Is there anybody on NSG that debates or debated on a team/club/whatever?" Well NSG, how many of you are on a debate team or something of the sort? How many of you were on one? If you are/were on on, could you share your experiences/tips and tricks? Any epic wins/fails you remember?

Also, in a couple of weeks, my Model United Nations team and I are going to DC to take part in the NAIMUN (North American Invitational Model United Nations) conference. Have any of you gone to such conferences? And out of curiosity... is there anyone going to NAIMUN? o.0
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:30 pm

No, I am not that big of an arse.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:31 pm

I didn't join any debate teams. The people in debate teams I have met are such schmucks, and it's very difficult to have a constructive oral debate.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:32 pm

No, because debate teams and the sort are stuffy and filled with organization. I prefer arguing.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Zeppy wrote:No, I am not that big of an arse.

That's true. You don't strike me as one for a debate club thingy. Being an arse is mandatory for such things.
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:32 pm

There was a debate club started for the first in my school a couple of months ago.
I didn't go because the teacher who ran it was a douche.
Yeah that's about it.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:No, because debate teams and the sort are stuffy and filled with organization. I prefer arguing.

Debate teams in Puerto Rico are pretty lax... But then again, it's Puerto Rico. :lol:

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Zeppy wrote:No, I am not that big of an arse.

That's true. You don't strike me as one for a debate club thingy. Being an arse is mandatory for such things.

Or having one. Either way, I suck at debating.

Tunizcha
Senator

Founded: Mar 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tunizcha » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:33 pm

I went to one in Sacramento back in November.
Barzan wrote: I'll stick with rape, thank you.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:It's Rape night on NSG.
*/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ

This is Koji. Copy and paste Koji to your sig so he can acheive world domination.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Debate teams in Puerto Rico are pretty lax... But then again, it's Puerto Rico. :lol:

Here it's... Annoying. Strict. And entirely unconvincing.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:36 pm

Is the UN thing annual or something? :blink:

Anyway, I've debated a few things in College, occasionally on a team...but, thats the closest I've gotten...

Id like to participate on one, but, I am unaware of any around here...

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:36 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Debate teams in Puerto Rico are pretty lax... But then again, it's Puerto Rico. :lol:

Here it's... Annoying. Strict. And entirely unconvincing.

In MUN here, depending on your chairmen, parliamentary procedure, dress code, and civility rules are thrown out the window. But it's not too terrible even if you have chairs who want you to abide by them.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:37 pm

Maurepas wrote:Is the UN thing annual or something? :blink:

NAIMUN is. It's a four day conference in February. But it's not like "final" in a league or something. You sign up however many months in advance and go.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Parina
Envoy

Founded: Dec 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Parina » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm on my school's debate team, but I've never gotten past preliminary rounds. Best record: 4-1, 9th Seed.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:38 pm

I don't like debates because scoring points is the goal of debating, rather than getting to the truth.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:38 pm

Plus we had boring topics such as: Are GCSE's useful? :palm:

Inchland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 26, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Inchland » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:39 pm

I have joined a debating team this year... we haven't done anything yet though :P
CELESTIAL DIVINITIES and NIGHTKILL THE EMPEROR and DENECAEP and KALASION and WWII History Geeks Asked To Be Here, I Said Yes.

Recipient of the Hahklallian Smartness Award, awarded to me by Hahklallah

Nightkill The Emperor again..... Just because
Tsarsgrad was here.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:40 pm

Other than that (apparently one-off) 4 v 4 Afghanistan debate in my Media course at uni, I don't know of any actual 'debate clubs' in my area.

That UN website did help, though we ran out of time before we could make much use of the quotes from that site and others. It was 20 minutes long, as we 'won' by way of an audience vote. :)
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:41 pm

I've talked to some friends about starting one at my school, but haven't done anything yet.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:41 pm

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:Plus we had boring topics such as: Are GCSE's useful? :palm:

Well they couldnt have you debate anything you had an opinion on, that wouldnt be PC, formal, and stuffy, now would it?

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:41 pm

Parina wrote:I'm on my school's debate team, but I've never gotten past preliminary rounds. Best record: 4-1, 9th Seed.

Lolwut?

Sorry, I don't participate in a "debate team," but Model United Nations, rather. There aren't any rounds, preliminaries, or anything of that sort. Could you explain this system? :blink:

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:42 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:Other than that (apparently one-off) 4 v 4 Afghanistan debate in my Media course at uni, I don't know of any actual 'debate clubs' in my area.

That UN website did help, though we ran out of time before we could make much use of the quotes from that site and others. It was 20 minutes long, as we 'won' by way of an audience vote. :)

Glad I was helpful. :lol:

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:42 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Parina wrote:I'm on my school's debate team, but I've never gotten past preliminary rounds. Best record: 4-1, 9th Seed.

Lolwut?

Sorry, I don't participate in a "debate team," but Model United Nations, rather. There aren't any rounds, preliminaries, or anything of that sort. Could you explain this system? :blink:

I imagine screaming weasels words at each other.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:43 pm

Besides, who needs a debate team with NSG at your fingertips?

Tunizcha
Senator

Founded: Mar 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tunizcha » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:43 pm

Our debate team pretty much only debates with other schools' debate teams in the local area. Mostly over politics and civil rights, but I remember we once had a conference on whether Star Wars or Star Trek was better.
Barzan wrote: I'll stick with rape, thank you.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:It's Rape night on NSG.
*/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ

This is Koji. Copy and paste Koji to your sig so he can acheive world domination.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General