NATION

PASSWORD

The Samaritan Passover among many other things

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

The Samaritan Passover among many other things

Postby Benuty » Mon May 04, 2015 12:25 pm

Samaritans hold annual Passover sacrifice ceremony on Mt. Gerizim

Abrahamic religious group holds 3,600-year-old annual ceremony, sacrificing 50 sheep - one for every family in the 800 member community.

Itay Blumental

Hundreds of members of the Samaritan community and many guests - both Israelis and Palestinians - gathered on Mount Gerizim near Nablus on Saturday night for their annual Passover sacrifice.

Those in attendance, dressed in traditional white capes and red head coverings, listened to the Samaritan High Priest reading the commandment given to the Israelites to offer the sacrifices, after which 50 sheep were sacrificed - one for each family. On Sunday, after the sacrifice ceremony, the Samaritans hold a Sabbatical day.

The ethnoreligious group got its name when its members were exiled to the Samaria area in the final days of the First Temple by the Assyrian king Sennacherib. According to Samaritan tradition, the sacrifice ceremony has been performed for the past 3,600 years.

The sheep who are slaughtered are skinned after being sacrificed, with portions forbidden for consumption. They are then burned on the altar fire. Later, the sheep are skewered and cooked in ovens in the ground. When the meat is roasted, each family gathers in their own home to perform the mitzvah of eating the Passover sacrifice.

The Samaritans comprise some 800 members. Half of them live on Mount Gerizim and the other half in Holon, on the outskirts of Tel Aviv.

The Samaritans follow Samaritanism, an Abrahamic religion with close links to Judaism. They adhere only to what is written in the Bible, and consider their worship the true religion of the ancient Israelites.

The head of the Samaria Regional Council, Gershon Mesika, attended the ceremony.

"We can to show our respect to the Samaritan group, which constitutes a part of the State of Israel," he said. "Over the years we've had full cooperation between the Samaritans and the regional council - on normal days, days of celebration and days of mourning."

Source: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 40,00.html

Opinion:
For something a little different I thought I would cover this. As you can imagine such a small group (which used to be in the millions) wouldn't render as much attention except the occasional glance. First I will address the concerns of the comments simply waving of the festivity as a sign of superstition is a sign you clearly don't get why its done at all. As for the source, well like I said not many people give a damn about the ritual at all. Unlike say the Passover of Judaism which would obviously have far more coverage. It is always interesting to talk to the Samaritan High Priest explain the origin story of Israel, their people, and the religion in general. On a note I would like to correct the article since Samaritans adhere to the Samaritan Torah not the Bible at all. Unlike the Jews with the Tanach they only consider the first five books valid, and everything else erroneous from the Jews time in exile. So what say you oh unleavened, and leavened masses of NSG?

1) Is animal sacrifice inhumane, or immoral?

2) Is animal sacrifice (in any religion that employs it obviously) unnecessary in this time, and day?

3) Last, but not least I suppose the other branches of the Abrahamic religions (contrary to popular belief there are more than three) could be talked about here as well.
Last edited by Benuty on Mon May 04, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire » Mon May 04, 2015 12:28 pm

Are the animals eaten, or are they just left to rot?

If they're eaten, then it's no different than any other consumption of meat.

New Werpland
Senator

Founded: Dec 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Mon May 04, 2015 12:29 pm

Animals have no rights, so yeah it's fine.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon May 04, 2015 12:30 pm

Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire wrote:Are the animals eaten, or are they just left to rot?

Eaten I believe
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon May 04, 2015 12:30 pm

Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire wrote:Are the animals eaten, or are they just left to rot?

If I recall they are indeed eaten unlike rituals in other (certain) religions.
Last edited by Benuty on Mon May 04, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire » Mon May 04, 2015 12:32 pm

Benuty wrote:

If I recall they are indeed eaten unlike rituals in other religions.

That makes this case a lot better then. Because the usage of the goods produced from the sacrifices means that the sacrifice wasn't "pointless".

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon May 04, 2015 12:32 pm

New Werpland wrote:Animals have no rights, so yeah it's fine.

Depends on the country to be honest, considering a New York Judge granted a pair of research Chimpanzees the writ of Habeas Corpus.

New Werpland
Senator

Founded: Dec 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Mon May 04, 2015 12:35 pm

Benuty wrote:

Depends on the country to be honest, considering a New York Judge granted a pair of research Chimpanzees the writ of Habeas Corpus.

I meant more along the lines of, there ain't a reason to value animal life beyond not doing horrible things to them because that's disgusting, so yes it's okay to sacrifice sheep.

The Revolutionists of Irasqu
Secretary

Founded: Sep 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Revolutionists of Irasqu » Mon May 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Touch my body ^^
Live life the way you want, damnit!
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon May 04, 2015 12:38 pm

Benuty wrote:

that was what the attny's for the animal shelter claimed. The judge thought otherwise

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... for-chimps
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon May 04, 2015 12:40 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Benuty wrote:Depends on the country to be honest, considering a New York Judge granted a pair of research Chimpanzees the writ of Habeas Corpus.

that was what the attny's for the animal shelter claimed. The judge thought otherwise

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... for-chimps

Well that is rather saddening.

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Mon May 04, 2015 1:12 pm

Only 800? And to think the Old Testament describes wars against these guys (if memory serves, mind). Well, I say more power to them! Nothing wrong with keeping an ancient tradition going.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Lleu llaw Gyffes
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lleu llaw Gyffes » Mon May 04, 2015 3:36 pm

2) Is animal sacrifice (in any religion that employs it obviously) unnecessary in this time, and day?

3) Last, but not least I suppose the other branches of the Abrahamic religions (contrary to popular belief there are more than three) could be talked about here as well.

Eating food is righteous. The animal must be killed painlessly.
The animal must NOT be of an endangered species. Freedom of Worship is a Civil Right. Yay Samaritans, go for it :clap:

At least they eat animals. We Christians are cannibals, we eat the Flesh and Blood of Jesus.

United Russian Soviet States
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian Soviet States » Mon May 04, 2015 4:10 pm

These people should recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
This nation does not represent my views.
I stand with Rand.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.
:Member of the United National Group:

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon May 04, 2015 4:25 pm

United Russian Soviet States wrote:These people should recognize Jesus as the Messiah.

Seriously?

If anybody comes close to their prophetic restorer it is Moses. They don't view the concept of a messiah as legitimate. They certainly won't recognize a person of another religion over their High Priest.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian Soviet States » Mon May 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Benuty wrote:
United Russian Soviet States wrote:These people should recognize Jesus as the Messiah.

Seriously?

If anybody comes close to their prophetic restorer it is Moses. They don't view the concept of a messiah as legitimate. They certainly won't recognize a person of another religion over their High Priest.

I am serious.
I stand with Rand.
_[' ]_

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon May 04, 2015 4:28 pm

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:Only 800? And to think the Old Testament describes wars against these guys (if memory serves, mind). Well, I say more power to them! Nothing wrong with keeping an ancient tradition going.

Yeah, most are on the mountain outside Nablus, I believe there are a few others scattered around the two countries.

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Mon May 04, 2015 4:30 pm

United Russian Soviet States wrote:
Benuty wrote:Seriously?

I am serious.

And so are the Samaritans.
Anyway...

1. Not neccessarily. I don't have a moral system which cares too much about that, as long as it isn't wiping all the animals out in one stroke.
2. For the religion in question, it varies. If it requires sacrifice, then within that context it's neccessary. But to keep the universe running about? Frankly, no.
3. I only knew of Mandaeans and Baha'i before this (along with the big three obviously...). Is Mandaeism still a thing or is it gone?
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon May 04, 2015 4:30 pm

Benuty wrote:Seriously?

I am serious.

Considering they have had spats with the Jews since the days of the Babylonian exile why would they recognize the messiah of what is essentially a schism from Judaism?

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian Soviet States » Mon May 04, 2015 4:31 pm

Benuty wrote:
United Russian Soviet States wrote:I am serious.

Considering they have had spats with the Jews since the days of the Babylonian exile why would they recognize the messiah of what is essentially a schism from Judaism?

I do not know much about them.
I stand with Rand.
_[' ]_

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon May 04, 2015 4:33 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:

Anyway...

1. Not neccessarily. I don't have a moral system which cares too much about that, as long as it isn't wiping all the animals out in one stroke.
2. For the religion in question, it varies. If it requires sacrifice, then within that context it's neccessary. But to keep the universe running about? Frankly, no.
3. I only knew of Mandaeans and Baha'i before this (along with the big three obviously...). Is Mandaeism still a thing or is it gone?

Amazingly they persist of-course the whole Jesus, Abraham, and Moses being false prophets has not made them popular.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon May 04, 2015 4:35 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:

Anyway...

Yeah, Mandaeism's still a thing. As well as Druze and Rastafari.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon May 04, 2015 4:38 pm

Benuty wrote:Considering they have had spats with the Jews since the days of the Babylonian exile why would they recognize the messiah of what is essentially a schism from Judaism?

I do not know much about them.

If millions of them hadn't gone, and got themselves dwindled to the point of extinction you most certainly would. The parable did an interesting job of portraying the hostility between the religions of Samaria, and Judah.

Lleu llaw Gyffes
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lleu llaw Gyffes » Mon May 04, 2015 5:19 pm

I doubt that. Aztecs believed, that you need to sacrifice thousands of people or the Sun will not rise.

Since Samaritans believe Torah, I guess they believe if they break the Passover Covenant, then God will send them back to Egypt.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General