NATION

PASSWORD

Australia recalls Indonesian ambassador after execution

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Was Australia right to recall its ambassador to Indonesia?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes : 138

Roderia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Roderia » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:47 am

Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire wrote:
Roderia wrote:He did pay taxes. That is true, but it is you who don't understand the legal principles. Perhaps I should remind you. He was found guilty of drug charges in Indonesia, The Republic of Indonesia. A sovereign nation, outside of Australia and Australian jurisdiction, a nation with their own legal system and their own values, their own punishments and their own rights to administer their nation. What these criminals did was illegal, they got punished. What are you on about 'legal principles' a guilty verdict is the simplest legal principle there is.

Is the same crime punishable by death in Australia?

(The answer there is no.)

Were they in Australia? Once again, you are saying that Australian Law should apply to Australian citizens regardless of where they are.
I am Something-Teen living Somewhere in Canberra, Australia's capital. Social Justice Warriors will say that I am "Straight White Cis Male Scum". Not stupid people will say that I am a "Fascist Arsehole". My friends and family will say that I am "A little extreme and callous sometimes".
Pro: Capital Punishment, Gun Control, Equality, Corporations under the State, Fascism
Anti: Democracy, Social Justice, Feminism, Hate Groups, Tony Abbott, Free Market, Libertarianism, Communism

This nation does represent my beliefs and opinions. Deal with it.
Self-Proclaimed Last Non-Yandere in The Anti Democracy League
Tech-Level: PMT.
99% of people will copy this into their sig, if you are not a sheep, then don't.

Jamzmania
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:49 am

Winpheala wrote:
Roderia wrote:What? So Australian Citizens should be subjected only to Australian law wherever they go? What fucking fantasy world are all of you people living in? This isn't how the world works, this isn't how the world should work. Trying to defend criminals in another nation, is saying to Indonesia that we don't think that they deserve the right to have their own Justice System.

No, but unless they've killed someone or tried to at least, we should make every effort to save them.

It could be argued that drugs cause violence, ruin lives, and in many cases kill people.
The Alexanderians wrote:"Fear no man or woman,
No matter what their size.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

-Engraved on the side of my M1911 .45

Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:49 am

Roderia wrote:
Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire wrote:Is the same crime punishable by death in Australia?

(The answer there is no.)

Were they in Australia? Once again, you are saying that Australian Law should apply to Australian citizens regardless of where they are.

In matters of corruption and excessive jurisprudence? Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. There's no reason for Australia to put their fingers in their ears and go "La la la" when one of their citizens is going to be given far harsher a sentence than otherwise given. The legal principle is one of common fairness. Indonesia shouldn't expect its citizens to be shot for jaywalking in Australia.

Roderia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Roderia » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:52 am

Roderia wrote:Were they in Australia? Once again, you are saying that Australian Law should apply to Australian citizens regardless of where they are.

In matters of corruption and excessive jurisprudence? Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. There's no reason for Australia to put their fingers in their ears and go "La la la" when one of their citizens is going to be given far harsher a sentence than otherwise given. The legal principle is one of common fairness. Indonesia shouldn't expect its citizens to be shot for jaywalking in Australia.

... What?
What?
So Australians should be permitted to... No. You are trolling.
I am Something-Teen living Somewhere in Canberra, Australia's capital. Social Justice Warriors will say that I am "Straight White Cis Male Scum". Not stupid people will say that I am a "Fascist Arsehole". My friends and family will say that I am "A little extreme and callous sometimes".
Pro: Capital Punishment, Gun Control, Equality, Corporations under the State, Fascism
Anti: Democracy, Social Justice, Feminism, Hate Groups, Tony Abbott, Free Market, Libertarianism, Communism

99% of people will copy this into their sig, if you are not a sheep, then don't.

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Len Hyet » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:52 am

Roderia wrote:Were they in Australia? Once again, you are saying that Australian Law should apply to Australian citizens regardless of where they are.

That sweet sweet strawman.
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.
American 2L. No I will not answer your legal question.

Aeyariss
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aeyariss » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:53 am

What's wrong with death sentences?

Cabana
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabana » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:53 am

Winpheala wrote:
Roderia wrote:If people are so careless as to go to Indonesia and get involved in drugs, then they clearly don't hold their life with much value, they deserved to die.

You know what, each to their own. Good night.

As much as I disagree with his other opinions, he is right for this. In major airports it literally says this:
Everyone (except the bipolar schizo who was unaware of everything) knew what would happen when they trafficked.
Post-Sarcastic Gnostic Anarcho-Fascist
Bezombia wrote:-Reagan was a Pastafarian and had statues of Cthulhu in his bed every night.
-Vladimir Lenin was married to Reagan's wife. Make of that what you will.
come on and slam
Only results! This world only remembers the results!

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:56 am

Len Hyet wrote:
Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire wrote:In matters of corruption and excessive jurisprudence? Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. There's no reason for Australia to put their fingers in their ears and go "La la la" when one of their citizens is going to be given far harsher a sentence than otherwise given. The legal principle is one of common fairness. Indonesia shouldn't expect its citizens to be shot for jaywalking in Australia.

That sweet sweet strawman.

There's no strawman here. I'm arguing that a death sentence for anything involving drugs is out of scale given the offense. Which is exactly what executing someone for jaywalking is.

Roderia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Roderia » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:57 am

Len Hyet wrote:That sweet sweet strawman.

There's no strawman here. I'm arguing that a death sentence for anything involving drugs is out of scale given the offense. Which is exactly what executing someone for jaywalking is.

You are saying that if Australians disagree with laws, that they should just ignore them, because big daddy Government will bail them out? That is stone cold retarded, you can not be serious.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:58 am

Roderia wrote:
Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire wrote:There's no strawman here. I'm arguing that a death sentence for anything involving drugs is out of scale given the offense. Which is exactly what executing someone for jaywalking is.

You are saying that if Australians disagree with laws, that they should just ignore them, because big daddy Government will bail them out? That is stone cold retarded, you can not be serious.

That's not what I'm saying at all. That's what you're seeing because you're arguing in bad faith.

Re read my sentence, I promise you that the words don't say what you're thinking they do.

Emile Zola
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Emile Zola » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:59 am

Cabana wrote:
Winpheala wrote:You know what, each to their own. Good night.

As much as I disagree with his other opinions, he is right for this. In major airports it literally says this:
Everyone (except the bipolar schizo who was unaware of everything) knew what would happen when they trafficked.

Except the Indonesians are hypocrites. They fight for their citizens not to be executed in other countries while they happily execute foreigners in their own country. Plus the have only recently started executing for the sake of looking tough to their constituents.

Roderia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Roderia » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:00 am

Roderia wrote:You are saying that if Australians disagree with laws, that they should just ignore them, because big daddy Government will bail them out? That is stone cold retarded, you can not be serious.

That's not what I'm saying at all. That's what you're seeing because you're arguing in bad faith.

Re read my sentence, I promise you that the words don't say what you're thinking they do.

No... They do. Checked it a few times.

Me: "Were they in Australia? Once again, you are saying that Australian Law should apply to Australian citizens regardless of where they are."

You: "In matters of corruption and excessive jurisprudence? Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. There's no reason for Australia to put their fingers in their ears and go "La la la" when one of their citizens is going to be given far harsher a sentence than otherwise given. The legal principle is one of common fairness. Indonesia shouldn't expect its citizens to be shot for jaywalking in Australia."

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:00 am

Sigismond Thalberg and Asterix wrote:
Norstal wrote:Not even Indonesians respect the law. I've seen my own share of bribery and corruption. Why should foreigners respect it too?

I come from a country where corruption and bribery are commonplace but that does not relieve anyone from their responsibility to follow the law; systematic corruption is not an excuse.

That's not the point. A government that doesn't follow it's own law is more likely to not prosecute on their own laws. One person from the death row had drugs planted on her, though she was excused afterwards. Who know how many more innocents that were killed?

Defending a government that prosecutes people on laws they don't even follow is just absurd.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Pineville Community
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Pineville Community » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:00 am

Indonesia is such a barbaric country.
Pro: Center-right, free market, democracy, marijuana legalization
Neutral: Center-left
Con: Far-left, old left, excessive protectionism, authoritarianism

Roderia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Roderia » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:03 am

Pineville Community wrote:Indonesia is such a barbaric country.

Yep, but they have their own laws. And people in Indonesia need to respect those. Basically, tough shit.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:03 am

Roderia wrote:
Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire wrote:That's not what I'm saying at all. That's what you're seeing because you're arguing in bad faith.

No... They do. Checked it a few times.

Me: "Were they in Australia? Once again, you are saying that Australian Law should apply to Australian citizens regardless of where they are."

You: "In matters of corruption and excessive jurisprudence? Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. There's no reason for Australia to put their fingers in their ears and go "La la la" when one of their citizens is going to be given far harsher a sentence than otherwise given. The legal principle is one of common fairness. Indonesia shouldn't expect its citizens to be shot for jaywalking in Australia."

Ok, you really don't seem to understand how law works.

There are two phases to a court case.

First, they determine guilt or innocence. In this case, Indonesia determined that citizens of Oz peddled or intended to peddle drugs.
Second, they determine punishment for guilt. In this case, they decided to execute them for a crime which would have held a jail term in almost every other country on Earth, including Australia.

Australia does not want its taxpaying citizens killed by a supposedly friendly government for a crime which should have been a jail term instead. This is really quite simple stuff, and you're managing to conflate all sorts of other things into this for no reason that I can detect.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:06 am

I also oppose the death penalty, and i'm ambivalent about the recall of the ambassador.
Indonesian nationals are no doubt executed for drug crimes too, but the ambassadors were not recalled then.
It seems to be implying that foreign visitors to a country should not be subject to the same rule of aw as the locals, which is obviously silly.
I would have lodged a protest, made clear opposition to the death penalty, asked for mercy/life imprisonment, and been done with it.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Pineville Community
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Pineville Community » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:06 am

Roderia wrote:
Pineville Community wrote:Indonesia is such a barbaric country.

Yep, but they have their own laws. And people in Indonesia need to respect those. Basically, tough shit.

Of course. Still, while I know their president is doing this to look tough, I'm disappointed by their lack of diplomatic pragmatism. I'm glad the ambassadors of Brazil, the Netherlands and Australia were recalled.
Last edited by Pineville Community on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pro: Center-right, free market, democracy, marijuana legalization
Neutral: Center-left
Con: Far-left, old left, excessive protectionism, authoritarianism

Roderia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Roderia » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:10 am

Roderia wrote:No... They do. Checked it a few times.

Ok, you really don't seem to understand how law works.

First, they determine guilt or innocence. In this case, Indonesia determined that citizens of Oz peddled or intended to peddle drugs.
Second, they determine punishment for guilt. In this case, they decided to execute them for a crime which would have held a jail term in almost every other country on Earth, including Australia.

Australia does not want its taxpaying citizens killed by a supposedly friendly government for a crime which should have been a jail term instead. This is really quite simple stuff, and you're managing to conflate all sorts of other things into this for no reason that I can detect.

Says the person who just told me how a court proceeding works for literally no reason. So what if the punishment would be a gaol sentence anywhere else, they weren't anywhere else, they were in Indonesia. And in Indonesia, people get executed for drug offences.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:13 am

Roderia wrote:
Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire wrote:In matters of corruption and excessive jurisprudence? Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. There's no reason for Australia to put their fingers in their ears and go "La la la" when one of their citizens is going to be given far harsher a sentence than otherwise given. The legal principle is one of common fairness. Indonesia shouldn't expect its citizens to be shot for jaywalking in Australia.

... What?
What?
So Australians should be permitted to... No. You are trolling.

If you think someone is trolling, report them in the Moderation forum. Please do not just call them "Troll" in the thread.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:13 am

Roderia wrote:
Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire wrote:Ok, you really don't seem to understand how law works.

Says the person who just told me how a court proceeding works for literally no reason. So what if the punishment would be a gaol sentence anywhere else, they weren't anywhere else, they were in Indonesia. And in Indonesia, people get executed for drug offences.

And since the crime has a much lower punishment in nearly every other friendly country to Australia, Australia has every responsibility to attempt an extradition back to Australia. Most likely to serve a sentence equivalent to the commission of the crime had it taken place in Australia.

Roderia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Roderia » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:15 am

Roderia wrote:Says the person who just told me how a court proceeding works for literally no reason. So what if the punishment would be a gaol sentence anywhere else, they weren't anywhere else, they were in Indonesia. And in Indonesia, people get executed for drug offences.

And since the crime has a much lower punishment in nearly every other friendly country to Australia, Australia has every responsibility to attempt an extradition back to Australia. Most likely to serve a sentence equivalent to the commission of the crime had it taken place in Australia.

But it didn't take place in Australia. Do you know how ridiculous what you are proposing is? A person goes and commits a crime in a country, that country punishes them. The end.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:17 am

Roderia wrote:
Winpheala wrote:No one has the right to kill those who haven't killed others.

YES THEY FUCKING DO! What should we place sanctions on China, Russia, The United States? They have capital punishment, they would have executed Australians from time to time, it is entirely within Indonesia's right to do this. It is people like you that used to make me hate Australia. People who think that Australian Law and Values magically apply outside of Australia.

Australia have extradition treaties with the U.S. So no, that would never happen in the US.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:17 am

Roderia wrote:
Lyrian Oligarchic Royal Empire wrote:And since the crime has a much lower punishment in nearly every other friendly country to Australia, Australia has every responsibility to attempt an extradition back to Australia. Most likely to serve a sentence equivalent to the commission of the crime had it taken place in Australia.

But it didn't take place in Australia. Do you know how ridiculous what you are proposing is? A person goes and commits a crime in a country, that country punishes them. The end.

Only so long as the punishment is not excessive. This seems to be something that you can't comprehend.

Roderia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Roderia » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:19 am

Roderia wrote:But it didn't take place in Australia. Do you know how ridiculous what you are proposing is? A person goes and commits a crime in a country, that country punishes them. The end.

Only so long as the punishment is not excessive. This seems to be something that you can't comprehend.

Diplomatically impossible. "Um, excuse me Indonesia, we don't trust you to run your nation and we disagree with your capital punishment, so our citizens are gonna run off their own rules in your country, is that okay?" You know what Indonesia is gonna say? They're gonna tell us to fuck off.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General