NATION

PASSWORD

Will we be forced into a cashless society?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:30 am

Eliminating cash would be incredibly racist and xenophobic, though possibly not intentionally. Because of the Patriot Act, one requires a Social Security number to open a bank account. Foreigners will never get one of those even after becoming a legal citizen. As such, only natural born citizens can possibly exist in a cashless society. It would completely destroy all immigration.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:39 am

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:In the long run, absolutely - we are already seeing move towards cashless with development of contactless although in near future I dont see it happening - use of cash will reduce and large chains might stop accepting cash because the handling costs just isn't worth it but smaller shops (especially pop-up stalls) can't afford to be too choosy so I think they will continue trading in cash for quite some time.
Definitely a good thing though, in such a society you would always leave a paper trail - criminal activity would probably decrease and I am not too concerned about privacy in this aspects, more worried about unwarranted access to emails or things like that, they would only know who you paid x amount to and when - I have no problem with that.

Actually, the fact there is always a paper trail means almost everyone could in theory be arrested for crimes or be suspected of them. As a result, I am fervently against a society with digital currency.

How would knowing how much money was spent where at what time make everyone suspect or targets for arrest?

The Serbian Empire wrote:Not to mention hackers will be able to make massive bank.

...they wouldn't because they can't withdraw that stolen money so we can simply track it as soon as alert is raised.

Olthar wrote:Eliminating cash would be incredibly racist and xenophobic, though possibly not intentionally. Because of the Patriot Act, one requires a Social Security number to open a bank account. Foreigners will never get one of those even after becoming a legal citizen. As such, only natural born citizens can possibly exist in a cashless society. It would completely destroy all immigration.

...I dont know how to respond to this. You do realise that cards trend to work across national boundaries?
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:56 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Olthar wrote:Eliminating cash would be incredibly racist and xenophobic, though possibly not intentionally. Because of the Patriot Act, one requires a Social Security number to open a bank account. Foreigners will never get one of those even after becoming a legal citizen. As such, only natural born citizens can possibly exist in a cashless society. It would completely destroy all immigration.

...I dont know how to respond to this. You do realise that cards trend to work across national boundaries?

Are you saying you expect immigrants to live here but maintain a bank account in another country? That's utterly absurd.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:02 am

Olthar wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:...I dont know how to respond to this. You do realise that cards trend to work across national boundaries?

Are you saying you expect immigrants to live here but maintain a bank account in another country? That's utterly absurd.

I would imagine that those residing in a country for significant duration will open a local account - not sure about exact mechanisms in US but as far as UK goes you take some sort of address proof and open up a bank account. Presumably its not too distinct in US either, otherwise non-citizens couldn't get employed.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:03 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Olthar wrote:Are you saying you expect immigrants to live here but maintain a bank account in another country? That's utterly absurd.

I would imagine that those residing in a country for significant duration will open a local account - not sure about exact mechanisms in US but as far as UK goes you take some sort of address proof and open up a bank account. Presumably its not too distinct in US either, otherwise non-citizens couldn't get employed.

Olthar wrote:Because of the Patriot Act, one requires a Social Security number to open a bank account. Foreigners will never get one of those even after becoming a legal citizen.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:06 am

Olthar wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:I would imagine that those residing in a country for significant duration will open a local account - not sure about exact mechanisms in US but as far as UK goes you take some sort of address proof and open up a bank account. Presumably its not too distinct in US either, otherwise non-citizens couldn't get employed.

Olthar wrote:Because of the Patriot Act, one requires a Social Security number to open a bank account. Foreigners will never get one of those even after becoming a legal citizen.

...so how do non-citizens get salary from work in US?

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:09 am

Nope.

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/askcfpb/ ... umber.html

You are not required to have a social security number to open a checking or savings account. Many banks and credit unions will accept a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) instead. You will need to fill out a form with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to get a TIN. Some banks and credit unions also accept other forms of identification from foreign citizens.

Conservative Values
Envoy

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Conservative Values » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:16 am

Non-citizens can have bank accounts. How do you think foreign exchange students do ... anything? Thousands of dollars under their dorm mattress? :P You don't need an SSN, most immigrants use a TIN.

Silly comment aside, I don't think we'll go cashless anytime soon. Having worked in a bank, there are way more people out there than you'd think that cash their paycheck on the second and last Friday and keep all their cash at home. I was shocked when I started as a teller. Not old people either, average and even some young folks.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:27 am

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:

Nope.

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/askcfpb/ ... umber.html

You are not required to have a social security number to open a checking or savings account. Many banks and credit unions will accept a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) instead. You will need to fill out a form with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to get a TIN. Some banks and credit unions also accept other forms of identification from foreign citizens.

Well now I know that article I read was lying.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:46 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:I suppose there are savings for banks and governments, and potential profits for some companies, if we move to a cashless society. There may be benefits for society, but no doubt some people would be disadvantaged by such a move. I am sure people here can come up with a number of other benefits or problems. Personally I think it is inevitable that we move in that direction, and I suppose I would adjust to it without to much problem, though I would be slightly paranoid about the surveillance potential.

It certainly would benefit the NSA and companies (especially advertising ones) if we could no longer pay anonymously...
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:23 am

OP you're being pretty Western-centric. There are plenty of places in the world where most people just mainly use plain cash.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:49 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:OP you're being pretty Western-centric. There are plenty of places in the world where most people just mainly use plain cash.

No, I just think it is going to start in rich countries and cause problems for the poorer countries.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:52 pm

There's really no use becoming completely cashless as a society.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:58 pm

Pandeeria wrote:There's really no use becoming completely cashless as a society.

There is for the government and a lot of businesses.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Meridiani Planum
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Meridiani Planum » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:06 am

While I am concerned about privacy issues, I rarely use cash anymore by choice. I wouldn't miss cash at all if it were to disappear.

The main losers would be street beggars.
Last edited by Meridiani Planum on Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
I shall choose friends among men, but neither slaves nor masters.
- Ayn Rand

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:51 am

But how will I make it rain? D:

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:08 am

This... actually isn't true at all.

Citizens can get SSNs. So can legal residents. So do those who have work Visas.

Incidentally, you can also open a bank account using a TIN if you aren't eligible for an SSN. Some banks also accept other forms of ID from foreign citizens (passports, etc).
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Scandinavian Nations
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Scandinavian Nations » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:47 am

Great Nepal wrote:How would knowing how much money was spent where at what time make everyone suspect or targets for arrest?

Big Data.
Statistical processing to look for "suspect" patterns gives, by design, a significant number of false positives.
Those who don't remember history, are blessed to believe anything is possible when they're repeating it.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:54 am

Dakini wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
Here in the States there is no need for currency reform.

You people still use dollar bills and pennies.

Eliminating them would not be currency reform though.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:56 am

Scandinavian Nations wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:How would knowing how much money was spent where at what time make everyone suspect or targets for arrest?

Big Data.
Statistical processing to look for "suspect" patterns gives, by design, a significant number of false positives.

...which are accounted for by any reasonable analyst. Mere "suspect patterns" will never be taken by any reasonable court to be probable cause.

Scandinavian Nations
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Scandinavian Nations » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:40 am

Great Nepal wrote:...which are accounted for by any reasonable analyst. Mere "suspect patterns" will never be taken by any reasonable court to be probable cause.

What are you willing to bet on it? Your freedom nonwithstanding.

I've taken the liberty of crossing out the unnecessary requirement. Not that there's no acts that let a court be bypassed in the first place of course.
Those who don't remember history, are blessed to believe anything is possible when they're repeating it.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:47 am

Even if we were to go to a cashless society, a barter system (or one based on commodities, like gold for instance) would spring up immediately. Why? Quite a few people want or need a system of untraceable trade (not always for illegal reasons).
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:13 am

With anti money laundering laws as they are most businesses are being highly discouraged from using cash.

Sooner or later individuals will be subjected to the same punitive pricing businesses are for using cash.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:15 am

Scandinavian Nations wrote:

Big Data.

All the computer processing does is alert a human to investigate.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:15 am

greed and death wrote:With anti money laundering laws as they are most businesses are being highly discouraged from using cash.

Sooner or later individuals will be subjected to the same punitive pricing businesses are for using cash.

Which would be another example of the Government interfering where it does not belong.
Hail Satan!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General