NATION

PASSWORD

[US Election 2016] Republican Primary Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which Candidate Do You Support?

Ted Cruz
3%
Marco Rubio
11%
Rand Paul
17%
Ben Carson
9%
Carly Fiorina
3%
Jeb Bush
5%
Chris Christie
2%
John Kasich
7%
Donald Trump
26%
Someone else
16%

Total votes : 579

The United Territories of Providence
Minister

Founded: May 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Territories of Providence » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:10 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Cause there's no such thing as a moderate Republican?

Alternatively, I can argue there's no such thing as a moderate Democrat. It would still be incorrect.

There aren't many real moderates. There are those who look moderate by comparison, but when you look at their positions...still pretty fucking partisan. Example...Jeb Bush and John Kasich...both exceptionally conservative men who only appear moderate because their party has shifted so far to the right. Another example, my Senator, Claire McCaskill. She appears to be moderate, Missouri is a red state and she's a democrat, supports Clinton and Keystone etc....her vote record is very party line and just as liberal as most other members.

Furthermore, "moderate" Republicans aren't condemning Trump because they agree with his position. Has anyone read the party platform, some of it is pretty out there...I can't imagine what it'll look like after the convention next year.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

FORMER REPUBLICAN
SOCIAL DEMOCRAT
Economic: -2.5
Social: -5.28

LGBTQ Rights
Palestine
Medicare for All
Gender Equality
Green Energy
Legal Immigration
Abortion rights
Democracy
Assault Weapons Ban
Censorship
MRA
Fundamentalism
Fascism
Political Correctness
Fascism
Monarchy
Illegal Immigration
Capitalism
Free Trade

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:19 pm

The United Territories of Providence wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Alternatively, I can argue there's no such thing as a moderate Democrat. It would still be incorrect.

There aren't many real moderates. There are those who look moderate by comparison, but when you look at their positions...still pretty fucking partisan. Example...Jeb Bush and John Kasich...both exceptionally conservative men who only appear moderate because their party has shifted so far to the right. Another example, my Senator, Claire McCaskill. She appears to be moderate, Missouri is a red state and she's a democrat, supports Clinton and Keystone etc....her vote record is very party line and just as liberal as most other members.

Furthermore, "moderate" Republicans aren't condemning Trump because they agree with his position. Has anyone read the party platform, some of it is pretty out there...I can't imagine what it'll look like after the convention next year.

Moderate Republicans have condemned Trump. Are there fewer moderates this cycle? Certainly, but then I see Bernie on the left, and remember that both sides have their extremes.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:39 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:

Moderate Republicans have condemned Trump. Are there fewer moderates this cycle? Certainly, but then I see Bernie on the left, and remember that both sides have their extremes.

And how many are paying political price for condemning Trump?
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Urbane Night Guardian
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Urbane Night Guardian » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:53 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Moderate Republicans have condemned Trump. Are there fewer moderates this cycle? Certainly, but then I see Bernie on the left, and remember that both sides have their extremes.

And how many are paying political price for condemning Trump?

None that have anything to lose.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The United Territories of Providence » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:40 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:

I want you to tell me who the moderate is. Because I've visited each campaign website, read vote records and op-eds about the candidates....All I get is partisan with not much room for the middle. Like two people come to mind, one obvious and the other less so. George Pataki...I don't know what he is or how to classify him. Then there's Donald Trump. Whose positions I'd argue vary between moderately liberal and extremely conservative, but the way he presents them makes him seem far-right...

I don't know that Bernie is extreme, I hate to say this but he and Hillary differ mostly on rhetoric and not policy. There are some vote differences, but for the most part, not much separates them although Bernie is certainly the more liberal candidate.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

FORMER REPUBLICAN
SOCIAL DEMOCRAT

LGBTQ Rights
Palestine
Medicare for All
Gender Equality
Green Energy
Legal Immigration
Abortion rights
Democracy
Assault Weapons Ban
Censorship
MRA
Fundamentalism
Fascism
Political Correctness
Fascism
Monarchy
Illegal Immigration
Capitalism
Free Trade

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:48 am

West Aurelia wrote:Why aren't moderate Republicans condemning Trump's bigoted statements about Muslims?

who would that be? who has enough public presence to out-shout Donald trump?

its not unlike how we always say "why aren't moderate muslims condemning these terrorist attacks?" when moderate muslims all over the globe are doing so, we just cant hear them.
whatever

Mazeoftime
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mazeoftime » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:30 am

Detective Rustin Rust Cohle wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
who would that be? who has enough public presence to out-shout Donald trump?

its not unlike how we always say "why aren't moderate muslims condemning these terrorist attacks?" when moderate muslims all over the globe are doing so, we just cant hear them.

They don't band together & say it loud enough for fear of retribution from the radicals. Same goes for GOP.

No one can out-shout trump

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:54 am

Mazeoftime wrote:No one can out-shout trump

Thats clearly a defeatist excuse. If the other Repub candidates really think that, then surely none of them are fit to be leaders of the free world much less dog catcher. So fuck'em all them.

On the other side, Hillary has a loud enough mouth and isn't afraid to get lippy with Trump.

Nor is Bernie.

The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:59 am

Mazeoftime wrote:No one can out-shout trump

Thats clearly a defeatist excuse. If the other Repub candidates really think that, then surely none of them are fit to be leaders of the free world much less dog catcher. So fuck'em all them.

On the other side, Hillary has a loud enough mouth and isn't afraid to get lippy with Trump.

Dr. Carson has displayed knowledge of Dog Catcher duties. Rabid dogs and all that, but I doubt even a dog's ears could hear his sorry voice calling.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:09 pm

Romalae wrote:
West Aurelia wrote:Why aren't moderate Republicans condemning Trump's bigoted statements about Muslims?

John Kasich and Jeb Bush condemned the Muslim database remarks.

And yet Kasich called for an agency that would crusade promote Judeo-Chrisitan values in the Middle East, and Bush hopped on the "let's only take Christian refugees" bandwagon.

Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:18 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Romalae wrote:John Kasich and Jeb Bush condemned the Muslim database remarks.

And yet Kasich called for an agency that would crusade promote Judeo-Chrisitan values in the Middle East, and Bush hopped on the "let's only take Christian refugees" bandwagon.

Yes indeed, I wasn't supporting their views. But in fairness they did condemn the database nonsense, but then again Cruz and Carson did so as well to some degree, so that isn't saying much.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The United Territories of Providence » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:07 pm

Romalae wrote:
Merizoc wrote:And yet Kasich called for an agency that would crusade promote Judeo-Chrisitan values in the Middle East, and Bush hopped on the "let's only take Christian refugees" bandwagon.

Yes indeed, I wasn't supporting their views. But in fairness they did condemn the database nonsense, but then again Cruz and Carson did so as well to some degree, so that isn't saying much.

Their views show that they aren't moderate, so there's no purpose in pointing out that they condemned the so called "Muslim database" remarks. Because again, the question was "why aren't the moderate republicans condemning Trump?"
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

FORMER REPUBLICAN
SOCIAL DEMOCRAT

LGBTQ Rights
Palestine
Medicare for All
Gender Equality
Green Energy
Legal Immigration
Abortion rights
Democracy
Assault Weapons Ban
Censorship
MRA
Fundamentalism
Fascism
Political Correctness
Fascism
Monarchy
Illegal Immigration
Capitalism
Free Trade

Romalae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:10 pm

Romalae wrote:Yes indeed, I wasn't supporting their views. But in fairness they did condemn the database nonsense, but then again Cruz and Carson did so as well to some degree, so that isn't saying much.

Their views show that they aren't moderate, so there's no purpose in pointing out that they condemned the so called "Muslim database" remarks. Because again, the question was "why aren't the moderate republicans condemning Trump?"

They're considered moderate in comparison to the others. It's relative. There's nothing moderate about the current state of the Republican Party.

Trumpostan
Minister

Founded: Sep 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumpostan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:39 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:Moderate Republicans have condemned Trump. Are there fewer moderates this cycle? Certainly, but then I see Bernie on the left, and remember that both sides have their extremes.

All things are not equal in this Trump/Sanders comparison.

Only one of these has called for rounding up 11 million people and forcibly deporting them.
Only one of those thinks its a tremendous idea to get some kind of database that keeps track of 'where the muslims are' (and subsequently denied ever saying that).

Merizoc wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Carson compares Syrian refugees to dogs. http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/ben-carson-syria-refugee-dogs-216064 I'm about to lose it with this amount of idiocy.

Yes, and with the Daily Mail calling them rats, the Nazi comparisons are ripe for the picking.

Damn right, comparing people to rats is actually straight from nazi imagery about jews. More and more people on the right letting their fear and bigotry out in the open, and the real agenda coming to the surface. And these are the people who will call you an extremist for supporting a national healthcare plan.
Last edited by Trumpostan on Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not support Donald J. Trump
Inverted Flag Law: US Code Title 4 Section 8 Paragraph (a): The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The United States of America has been in a state of dire distress since November 8, 2016. Flying the flag upside down is not only our right, it is our duty!
Make Maine Massachusetts again!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:03 pm

Romalae wrote:Yes indeed, I wasn't supporting their views. But in fairness they did condemn the database nonsense, but then again Cruz and Carson did so as well to some degree, so that isn't saying much.

the republican PRESIDENTIAL candidates aren't calling out Donald trump because a large segment of the base loves him. a segment much bigger than the segment of the republican base who love any of THEM. there is nothing for them to gain by talking smack about trump.
whatever

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:00 am

Last edited by Gauthier on Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:07 am

I would never have guessed.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:11 am

Kelinfort wrote:

I would never have guessed.

Another delicious morsel:

Mr. Trump also said he would bring back use of waterboarding, the controversial interrogation technique that simulates drowning and that is considered torture by many. President Barack Obama barred waterboarding and other harsh techniques at the start of his presidency.
Mr. Trump cited brutal and horrific acts of the Islamic State to justify his view.
“Well, we have to be strong. You know, they don’t use waterboarding over there; they use chopping off people’s heads,” he said on ABC. “I would bring it back. I think waterboarding is peanuts compared to what they’d do to us, what they’re doing to us, what they did to (journalist) James Foley when they chopped off his head. That’s a whole different level and I would absolutely bring back interrogation and strong interrogation.”

Trump wants to be the next Dick Cheney, and he seems likely to be able to Out-Cheney him.
Last edited by Gauthier on Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:16 am

Gauthier wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:I would never have guessed.

Another delicious morsel:

Mr. Trump also said he would bring back use of waterboarding, the controversial interrogation technique that simulates drowning and that is considered torture by many. President Barack Obama barred waterboarding and other harsh techniques at the start of his presidency.
Mr. Trump cited brutal and horrific acts of the Islamic State to justify his view.
“Well, we have to be strong. You know, they don’t use waterboarding over there; they use chopping off people’s heads,” he said on ABC. “I would bring it back. I think waterboarding is peanuts compared to what they’d do to us, what they’re doing to us, what they did to (journalist) James Foley when they chopped off his head. That’s a whole different level and I would absolutely bring back interrogation and strong interrogation.”

Trump wants to be the next Dick Cheney, and he seems likely to be able to Out-Cheney him.

Cheney: "We need to go into the dark side."
Trump: "We need to be the dark side."

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:10 pm

Trump doesn't disturb me. He has always been a carnival barker saying crap for attention.

What disturbs me are the people who think he is right.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Romalae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:16 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:Trump doesn't disturb me. He has always been a carnival barker saying crap for attention.

O'Malley's words, not yours, right? :D

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The United Territories of Providence » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:41 pm

The United Territories of Providence wrote: Donald Trump...is Donald Trump. If it benefits him, he'll rip up that non-legally binding piece of paper. He gives no fucks, nothing he does hurts his poll numbers. He also said he wouldn't run for President...but here we are....with candidate Trump. I'm at 50% confidence that if he doesn't win the nomination due to delegates refusing to support him (cause he could win the popular vote) he'll run as an Independent. No one disrespects Donald and gets away scot free. You hurt his pride, he gives out your cell on national television...or makes sure your party doesn't make it to the white house.

Said this way back in September on the day he signed the pledge. So far I'm 6 for 6 on GOP predictions.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

FORMER REPUBLICAN
SOCIAL DEMOCRAT

LGBTQ Rights
Palestine
Medicare for All
Gender Equality
Green Energy
Legal Immigration
Abortion rights
Democracy
Assault Weapons Ban
Censorship
MRA
Fundamentalism
Fascism
Political Correctness
Fascism
Monarchy
Illegal Immigration
Capitalism
Free Trade

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:47 pm

Romalae wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:Trump doesn't disturb me. He has always been a carnival barker saying crap for attention.

O'Malley's words, not yours, right? :D

No. Well I guess it depends who said it first. I have been saying it for awhile......
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Trumpostan
Minister

Founded: Sep 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumpostan » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:15 pm

The GOP thought they had tamed Trump and tied him to their ship.

In reality, the GOP legitimized Trump because Trump demanded all the other GOP candidates sign too. So if Trump wins, even with a 30% plurality, they have pledged to support him... a pledge they aren't likely to keep. Trump was the big winner of signing that meaningless and unenforceable pledge.
I do not support Donald J. Trump
Inverted Flag Law: US Code Title 4 Section 8 Paragraph (a): The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The United States of America has been in a state of dire distress since November 8, 2016. Flying the flag upside down is not only our right, it is our duty!
Make Maine Massachusetts again!

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:22 pm

I have a feeling that the RNC will make the 'support the nominee' pledge an actual legal contract in coming election cycles.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General