NATION

PASSWORD

[US Election 2016] Republican Primary Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which Candidate Do You Support?

Ted Cruz
3%
Marco Rubio
11%
Rand Paul
17%
Ben Carson
9%
Carly Fiorina
3%
Jeb Bush
5%
Chris Christie
2%
John Kasich
7%
Donald Trump
26%
Someone else
16%

Total votes : 579

The Princes of the Universe
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Princes of the Universe » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:19 pm

Marylandonia wrote:
The Ben Boys wrote:Oh please no.

Oh please, yes.

Fuck that noise. Even Sanders is a bit far to the right for my liking.
Pro dolorosa Eius passione, miserere nobis et totius mundi.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.
Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Marylandonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Marylandonia » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:23 pm

The Princes of the Universe wrote:
Marylandonia wrote:Oh please, yes.

Fuck that noise. Even Sanders is a bit far to the right for my liking.

I know. Perhaps a reattachment to reality might help y'all see it my way. :hug:
ALT is New Jerzylvania

Marylandonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Marylandonia » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:26 pm

Repercussions of the Florida Recount wrote:
The Klishi Islands wrote:
I don't remember 2012- does the candidate give their speech before or after they're officially nominated?

They aren't even seen inside the convention until they are nominated. Then they show up for the speech.

Northern Davincia wrote:The rise of Trump and Carson mean absolutely nothing in the long run. Republican voters want the 'edgy' conservative who will solve everything with a swipe of a magic wand. Even if it doesn't seem like it, the establishment will hold out and get the nomination. Bush, Rubio, and now Kasich will be the ones to pull back the GOP's leash any day now.

Go out into the world and talk to their voters. They will tell you that won't happen. Not for Bush or Kasich. Rubio is a maybe. Cruz is also a maybe. If Trump wins three out of IA, NH, SC & Fl as long as FL is one of them, then he wins it all because of the momentum he gains. He'll run the table. There'll be no way of stopping him from winning the nomination.

If it ain't Trump, it might be Cruz cause he got da $$$$ and Trump likes his ass.
ALT is New Jerzylvania

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:34 am

Marylandonia wrote:
Repercussions of the Florida Recount wrote:
They aren't even seen inside the convention until they are nominated. Then they show up for the speech.

Go out into the world and talk to their voters. They will tell you that won't happen. Not for Bush or Kasich. Rubio is a maybe. Cruz is also a maybe. If Trump wins three out of IA, NH, SC & Fl as long as FL is one of them, then he wins it all because of the momentum he gains. He'll run the table. There'll be no way of stopping him from winning the nomination.

If it ain't Trump, it might be Cruz cause he got da $$$$ and Trump likes his ass.

Rubio just picked up another billionaire. bush has the establishment money.

if it comes to money its going to be at least a 3way.
whatever

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:44 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Marylandonia wrote:

Rubio just picked up another billionaire. bush has the establishment money.

Thanks, Ash, for that image. *pours brain-bleach into an ear*
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The Klishi Islands
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Klishi Islands » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:49 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:Rubio just picked up another billionaire. bush has the establishment money.

Economic Center-Left, Social Libertarian. Basically an ebul establishment neoliberal.
The political compass is no longer objective, so I've removed it from my sig. TG me for my specific positions.
"Bullshit is everywhere. There is very little that you will encounter in life that has not been, in some ways, infused with bullshit." ~ Jon Stewart

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open. ~ Unknown

These quotes sum up how I feel about the political climate in America. Let's try to keep the debate healthy, open, and honest

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:35 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:Rubio just picked up another billionaire. bush has the establishment money.

youre welcome.
whatever

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:03 am

Northern Davincia wrote:
The Ben Boys wrote:A few people I've talked to want Trump to win just because they don't want Hilary or Bernie. But now that the polls are getting closer this mindset is (thankfully) waning.

The rise of Trump and Carson mean absolutely nothing in the long run. Republican voters want the 'edgy' conservative who will solve everything with a swipe of a magic wand. Even if it doesn't seem like it, the establishment will hold out and get the nomination. Bush, Rubio, and now Kasich will be the ones to pull back the GOP's leash any day now.

People have been saying that since Trump's rise in June.

"Any minute now..."

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:05 am

Kelinfort wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:The rise of Trump and Carson mean absolutely nothing in the long run. Republican voters want the 'edgy' conservative who will solve everything with a swipe of a magic wand. Even if it doesn't seem like it, the establishment will hold out and get the nomination. Bush, Rubio, and now Kasich will be the ones to pull back the GOP's leash any day now.

"Any minute now..."

the trouble is that the republicans hate all of their candidates. how can any of them rise when the vast majority of republican primary voters don't like them?
whatever

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:08 am

Kelinfort wrote:

"Any minute now..."

I used to hope for a Trump implosion so that we could get a real candidate who actually might have some substantial things to discuss and ideas to promote. Now however I'm just giddy that Trump has hung on because he's doing incalculable damage every single day.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:14 am

how many lies does ben carson have to tell before he can take his money and go home? how many times does he have to insist that he really really DID stab a good friend and really really did almost hit his mom in the head with a hammer?

those things aren't all that discoverable, I suppose. but...no he was never offered a full scholarship to west point. that isn't even possible. and NO he didn't get the fictitious "most honest student" award at yale because there never was such a thing or even such a class that he was supposed to be in when he was most "honest" (in a story test that doesn't reflect honesty).

is there NO level of psycholying that dooms dr carson? all he has is his biography. how many stories can be false before that's not enough?-
whatever

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:18 am

Ashmoria wrote:how many lies does ben carson have to tell before he can take his money and go home? how many times does he have to insist that he really really DID stab a good friend and really really did almost hit his mom in the head with a hammer?

those things aren't all that discoverable, I suppose. but...no he was never offered a full scholarship to west point. that isn't even possible. and NO he didn't get the fictitious "most honest student" award at yale because there never was such a thing or even such a class that he was supposed to be in when he was most "honest" (in a story test that doesn't reflect honesty).

is there NO level of psycholying that dooms dr carson? all he has is his biography. how many stories can be false before that's not enough?-

The media is just out to get him. They made him tell all those lies. They borrowed Obama's time machine.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:19 am

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:21 am

Now that's how you make an Ego Wall.

Terminus Alpha
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Terminus Alpha » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:29 am

Klingon Jesus wants you to vote for Carson.
RP Interests: Alt-Hist, Space, 20th Century onward.
In the process of becoming a History teacher.
Center-Left-Libertarian | "Dirty filthy hippie"
Agnostic Atheist
Democrat
LGBT+

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:42 am

its not that creepy. it is not unusual to have your portrait painted and put up over the fireplace. depending on who did the "ben and Klingon jesus" painting, it may be Ok because its by himself, his wife, or a dear friend. if he PAID for it, not so much.

and people who get lots of awards tend to feel they need to keep them and put them on display. its in his game room. that's where you put stuff like that.
whatever

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:25 am

Ashmoria wrote:

its not that creepy. it is not unusual to have your portrait painted and put up over the fireplace. depending on who did the "ben and Klingon jesus" painting, it may be Ok because its by himself, his wife, or a dear friend. if he PAID for it, not so much.

and people who get lots of awards tend to feel they need to keep them and put them on display. its in his game room. that's where you put stuff like that.

Yeah, I can understand putting a few things on the wall. The portrait may be by someone else and it's fine to hang that, along with some honorary degrees and a Bible verse. But lining my game room with every award in my career? No... If Trump did this, people would call this extreme narcissism, even in his game room.

Jilligans Islande
Secretary

Founded: Feb 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Jilligans Islande » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:22 am

He's just another rethuglican narcissist.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:28 am

Just so you know, Jill, the Mods that Be frown on political nicknaming. Best practice would be to edit that post before you get smacked, friendly advice.

Also, I'm curious why you associate Republicans with thugs. Care to explain?
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:42 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Just so you know, Jill, the Mods that Be frown on political nicknaming. Best practice would be to edit that post before you get smacked, friendly advice.

They make other people suffer in order to improve their wealthy benefactors?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:49 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:Just so you know, Jill, the Mods that Be frown on political nicknaming. Best practice would be to edit that post before you get smacked, friendly advice.

They make other people suffer in order to improve their wealthy benefactors?

Hardly. You might be able to argue that career politicians look out for their reelection campaigns more than constituents, but that's true on any point in the spectrum you care to cite. The average voter in any party, however, could give less of a fuck about what the corporate donors want. Ipso facto, as the average voter composes more of the population of the Republican Party than the political class, Republicans (as a collective unit) aren't thugs.

Damn, those semantics in response to arbitrary political inflammation.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:54 am

Kelinfort wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:its not that creepy. it is not unusual to have your portrait painted and put up over the fireplace. depending on who did the "ben and Klingon jesus" painting, it may be Ok because its by himself, his wife, or a dear friend. if he PAID for it, not so much.

Yeah, I can understand putting a few things on the wall. The portrait may be by someone else and it's fine to hang that, along with some honorary degrees and a Bible verse. But lining my game room with every award in my career? No... If Trump did this, people would call this extreme narcissism, even in his game room.

It's a big ego wall yeah, but he has certainly accomplished enough to merit it. Ostentatious to my sensibilities but hey, presidential candidates are rarely humble.

Trumpostan
Minister

Founded: Sep 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumpostan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:01 am

Khadgar wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Yeah, I can understand putting a few things on the wall. The portrait may be by someone else and it's fine to hang that, along with some honorary degrees and a Bible verse. But lining my game room with every award in my career? No... If Trump did this, people would call this extreme narcissism, even in his game room.

It's a big ego wall yeah, but he has certainly accomplished enough to merit it. Ostentatious to my sensibilities but hey, presidential candidates are rarely humble.

I certainly would never put a picture of myself anywhere on the walls at home, and certainly not me posing with any sort of fictional figure.

I never thought Carson would be a bigger narcissistic egotist than the Trumpmeister himself.
I do not support Donald J. Trump
Inverted Flag Law: US Code Title 4 Section 8 Paragraph (a): The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The United States of America has been in a state of dire distress since November 8, 2016. Flying the flag upside down is not only our right, it is our duty!
Make Maine Massachusetts again!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:42 pm

Trumpostan wrote:
Khadgar wrote:

I certainly would never put a picture of myself anywhere on the walls at home, and certainly not me posing with any sort of fictional figure.

I never thought Carson would be a bigger narcissistic egotist than the Trumpmeister himself.

Are you aware of how much of a non-issue this is? I work regularly with a medical group that does spine surgery. One of the men, a doctor of repute, but not exactly famous, has a very similar picture in his office. The purpose of the picture is not to "pose with a fictional figure" in some narcissistic way, but to remind the doctor of the importance of the work he does, and, as a Christian, where that skill and ability ultimately comes from.

As for saving newspaper clippings about important events in his life, you may not do such an activity, but many people certainly do. Would you keep a photo of you meeting the President? Of your work appearing in the Washington Post? I absolutely would. Memories are important to some people, even the good ones funnily enough.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:47 pm

I can see the awards. I would display them, although the basement is an odd choice. If I have awards I want people to know what I have achieved up front, so being in one of the living room walls would be my thing.

The rest? I don't see why would he have certain of those things but maybe that's me.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General