NATION

PASSWORD

[US Election 2016] Republican Primary Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which Candidate Do You Support?

Ted Cruz
3%
Marco Rubio
11%
Rand Paul
17%
Ben Carson
9%
Carly Fiorina
3%
Jeb Bush
5%
Chris Christie
2%
John Kasich
7%
Donald Trump
26%
Someone else
16%

Total votes : 579

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Romalae wrote:So, who's next to drop out of the race? Jindal? Pataki? Gilmore? Santorum? Graham?

I'm not sure who it will be, but probably one of the five mentioned above. Perhaps it'll be whomever has the poorest showing in the next undercard debate. It'll feel mentally relieving to clear out some of those nobodies from the gigantic list that is the Republican hopefuls.

I'd like to see Pataki stay just for my sanity in watching the debates.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:19 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Romalae wrote:So, who's next to drop out of the race? Jindal? Pataki? Gilmore? Santorum? Graham?

I'm not sure who it will be, but probably one of the five mentioned above. Perhaps it'll be whomever has the poorest showing in the next undercard debate. It'll feel mentally relieving to clear out some of those nobodies from the gigantic list that is the Republican hopefuls.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:20 pm

Geilinor wrote:

Just imagine if everyone in the loser debate quits, he gets into the main debate and has a strong showing, wins the primaries, and gets the nomination. :p

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Geilinor wrote:

I considered Pataki and then he started bitching about the illegal immigration "crisis" which is by definition a fiction, because only government can create an illegal immigration crisis.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:19 pm

Arkinesia wrote:
Geilinor wrote:I'd like to see Pataki stay just for my sanity in watching the debates.

I considered Pataki and then he started bitching about the illegal immigration "crisis" which is by definition a fiction, because only government can create an illegal immigration crisis.

You'r comparing a guy who tells you to get off his lawn with several guys who have a twelve foot tall barbed wire electrified fence with a moat on their lawns to keep you out.

Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:45 pm

Kelinfort wrote:Just imagine if everyone in the loser debate quits, he gets into the main debate and has a strong showing, wins the primaries, and gets the nomination. :p

Could Pataki even win the primaries? The vast Republican base would denounce him as a "RINO" and he'd have to modify his positions from center-right to just shy of fascism.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:57 pm

Romalae wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Just imagine if everyone in the loser debate quits, he gets into the main debate and has a strong showing, wins the primaries, and gets the nomination. :p

Could Pataki even win the primaries? The vast Republican base would denounce him as a "RINO" and he'd have to modify his positions from center-right to just shy of fascism.

Pataki is very similar to John Kasich, in terms of policy. Both were good governors, and I say this as a New Yorker.
And if I recall, 2016 is Pataki's first year running for president. He is the least likeliest to be nominated in this election cycle, but anything could happen by the next.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Romalae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:08 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Romalae wrote:Could Pataki even win the primaries? The vast Republican base would denounce him as a "RINO" and he'd have to modify his positions from center-right to just shy of fascism.

Pataki is very similar to John Kasich, in terms of policy. Both were good governors, and I say this as a New Yorker.
And if I recall, 2016 is Pataki's first year running for president. He is the least likeliest to be nominated in this election cycle, but anything could happen by the next.

To be fair to Pataki, he isn't the least likely to be nominated, that would go to Jim I-didn't-even-make-the-undercard-debate Gilmore.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Romalae wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Pataki is very similar to John Kasich, in terms of policy. Both were good governors, and I say this as a New Yorker.

To be fair to Pataki, he isn't the least likely to be nominated, that would go to Jim I-didn't-even-make-the-undercard-debate Gilmore.

That or Bobby "the oil companies are the father of my love child" Jindal.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Marylandonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Marylandonia » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Romalae wrote:

And they call Rubio a RINO... so Pataki has no chance whatsoever.
ALT is New Jerzylvania

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:38 pm

Marylandonia wrote:
Romalae wrote:Could Pataki even win the primaries? The vast Republican base would denounce him as a "RINO" and he'd have to modify his positions from center-right to just shy of fascism.

I've never heard anyone call Rubio a RINO once. I read Breitbart, watch Fox News, and make sure my shrine to St. Reagan is protected with my legally-purchased attack helicopter adorned by the American flag. And through all those things, I've never heard Rubio called a RINO.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Crusader occupied mecca
Envoy

Founded: Oct 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crusader occupied mecca » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:49 pm

Trump and carson are the only ones willing to stand up to islamic bullying. The rest are pc crazed rino wimps until they earn my respect.
The Baghdad "battery" was just a jar to store scrolls over-hyped by a self-serving archaeologist.

The crusades were a counter-attack called for by the legitimate government of the relevant lands, the Byzantine Empire.

Timsvill
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Timsvill » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:56 pm

I like Ben Carson and his idea to make it where it takes only 15 minutes to file your taxes to the government.
Right Wing Libertarian

“I love my country, not my government.”
― Jesse Ventura

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:06 pm

Timsvill wrote:I like Ben Carson and his idea to make it where it takes only 15 minutes to file your taxes to the government.

Honestly, since the tax code in the US is so convoluted with so many special interests, the government would gain substantial revenue off of a plan like that, especially since it gives the IRS and easier job tracking down those who don't pay their taxes. Its telling when there is an entire industry built around dealing with government taxes.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Egemore
Envoy

Founded: May 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Egemore » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:07 pm

Timsvill wrote:I like Ben Carson and his idea to make it where it takes only 15 minutes to file your taxes to the government.

We could make filling out your taxes under the current system take 15 minutes as well, one of the reasons why this isn't ever carried out is because of huge opposition from the H&R Block and the like. The government has all of your data and they could calculate your tax return for you (with the option to dispute it and calculate it on your own) but the big tax preparation companies are vehemently opposed to this for obvious reasons.

I don't have a source for this, so I could be wrong. I remember reading an article about it a while ago though.
Last edited by Egemore on Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marylandonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Marylandonia » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:32 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Marylandonia wrote:

I've never heard anyone call Rubio a RINO once. I read Breitbart, watch Fox News, and make sure my shrine to St. Reagan is protected with my legally-purchased attack helicopter adorned by the American flag. And through all those things, I've never heard Rubio called a RINO.

You might need to get out more often. :lol:

http://www.nationalmemo.com/top-gop-mes ... bio-audio/

ALT is New Jerzylvania

The Princes of the Universe
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Princes of the Universe » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:26 pm

I'm for whoever causes the GOP to implode the fastest. They've done quite enough damage. Once we're rid of them, we have another cabal of corporate-owned fuckers to deal with, but for now, let's deal with the ones who don't even pretend they're trying to hide it.
Pro dolorosa Eius passione, miserere nobis et totius mundi.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.
Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:23 pm

The Princes of the Universe wrote:I'm for whoever causes the GOP to implode the fastest. They've done quite enough damage. Once we're rid of them, we have another cabal of corporate-owned fuckers to deal with, but for now, let's deal with the ones who don't even pretend they're trying to hide it.

Hah. Then the corporate money will just infest the next political party.

You can't get rid of us. We own every politician there is.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Romalae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:49 pm

Wow, Kasich came out swinging today. Check this out.

"Do you know how crazy this election is? I’ve about had it with these people. I’m sick and tired of listening to this nonsense."

"We've got one candidate [Carson] that says that we ought to abolish Medicaid and Medicare. You ever heard of anything so crazy as that? Telling our seniors that we're going to abolish Medicare?"

"We've got one guy [Trump] who says we ought to take 10 or 11 million people and pick them up and take them to the border and scream at them to get out of our country. That's just crazy."

The Republicans would do well to nominate this man.

The Ben Boys
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:58 pm

The Princes of the Universe wrote:I'm for whoever causes the GOP to implode the fastest. They've done quite enough damage. Once we're rid of them, we have another cabal of corporate-owned fuckers to deal with, but for now, let's deal with the ones who don't even pretend they're trying to hide it.

You know how politicians get elected right? Start with your old buddy Andrew Jackson and work your way up.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

The Princes of the Universe
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Princes of the Universe » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:17 pm

The Ben Boys wrote:

You know how politicians get elected right? Start with your old buddy Andrew Jackson and work your way up.

I'm not a Democrat. Try again. :roll:
Pro dolorosa Eius passione, miserere nobis et totius mundi.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.
Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:33 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Hah. Then the corporate money will just infest the next political party.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or the kind of mustache-twirling villainry college students like to pretend the upper classes have actually manifesting itself.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The Ben Boys
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:40 pm

The Princes of the Universe wrote:
The Ben Boys wrote:You know how politicians get elected right? Start with your old buddy Andrew Jackson and work your way up.

I'm not a Democrat. Try again. :roll:

Considering that only the Republicans, Democrats, Federalist, and Whigs have actually held presidential office, it's a good guess. Unless you're a proto-communist or a crypto-slaver you probably aren't the last two.

Packers Nation

Palakistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Palakistan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:46 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:Hah. Then the corporate money will just infest the next political party.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or the kind of mustache-twirling villainry college students like to pretend the upper classes have actually manifesting itself.

Lol
My stats are frozen at 10%
I annoy lots of people with my views. Sorry abou' that.

Your worst In Character enemy should be your best Out Of Character friend.
- to you who said that: genius!

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:18 am

These so called RINO's are really the GOP's best chance of staying relevant. I'm not against certain traditional values, but much of the GOP is pushing further rightward than the USA has ever been before. They aren't conservatives. They're right-wing liberals. Fifty years from now, these guys are going to be viewed in the same light as people who favored slavery. They were ultimately wrong, and simply slowed the USA's progress as a nation. I would argue that these RINO's are the ones who stand for what the Republican party should be about.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General