NATION

PASSWORD

[US Election 2016] Republican Primary Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which Candidate Do You Support?

Ted Cruz
3%
Marco Rubio
11%
Rand Paul
17%
Ben Carson
9%
Carly Fiorina
3%
Jeb Bush
5%
Chris Christie
2%
John Kasich
7%
Donald Trump
26%
Someone else
16%

Total votes : 579

Banija
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2015
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:34 am

#EstebanOliverez2016
Former champion of quite a few things. Former President of even more things.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
Waziri = Foreign Minister
Katikkiro = Prime Minister
Omugabe/Omugaba= Prince/Princess
Banija Domestic Sports | Map of Banija
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
Does your country need public transit? Contact the RTC!
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:36 am

Councilmembers wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Why? He's running on a platform of "fuck unions and the working man"

People are more focused on rhetoric and character than on actual policy.

For example, Hillary Clinton supports what the majority of Americans want. Universal child care/pre-K, affordable college programs, the Affordable Care Act when viewed in individual parts, LGBT rights, etc. Her foreign policy stances (generally) and climate change proposals are also solid. But Scott Walker will appeal to more as a "man of the people" who "stood up to the special interests." Unfortunately, citizens may go for the latter.

or they could go with jeb bush who has proposed getting rid of medicare. but he speaks Spanish!!
whatever

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:05 pm

Rand Paul's campaign isn't doing well. http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/rand-paul-2016-downward-spiral-gop-campaign-120716.html?hp=t2_r
Interviews with more than a dozen sources close to the Kentucky senator, all of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity, painted a picture of an underfunded and understaffed campaign beaten down by low morale.

They described an operation that pitted a cerebral chief strategist against an intense campaign manager who once got into a physical altercation with the candidate’s bodyguard. And they portrayed an undisciplined politician who wasn’t willing to do what it took to win — a man who obsessed over trivial matters like flight times, peppered aides with demands for more time off from campaigning and once chose to go on a spring-break jaunt rather than woo a powerful donor.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/r ... z3hE5wF5UI
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Geilinor wrote:Rand Paul's campaign isn't doing well. http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/rand-paul-2016-downward-spiral-gop-campaign-120716.html?hp=t2_r
Interviews with more than a dozen sources close to the Kentucky senator, all of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity, painted a picture of an underfunded and understaffed campaign beaten down by low morale.

They described an operation that pitted a cerebral chief strategist against an intense campaign manager who once got into a physical altercation with the candidate’s bodyguard. And they portrayed an undisciplined politician who wasn’t willing to do what it took to win — a man who obsessed over trivial matters like flight times, peppered aides with demands for more time off from campaigning and once chose to go on a spring-break jaunt rather than woo a powerful donor.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/r ... z3hE5wF5UI

He's even less of a snowball in Hell than his old man.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:28 pm

Gauthier wrote:

He was supposed to be the Great Libertarian Hope, but he ended up being quite non-Libertarian.

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:45 pm

Gauthier wrote:

I wouldn't say that but, his campaign losing support. He banking on the first debate on improving his numbers; otherwise his campaign will collapse.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:46 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Councilmembers wrote:
People are more focused on rhetoric and character than on actual policy.

For example, Hillary Clinton supports what the majority of Americans want. Universal child care/pre-K, affordable college programs, the Affordable Care Act when viewed in individual parts, LGBT rights, etc. Her foreign policy stances (generally) and climate change proposals are also solid. But Scott Walker will appeal to more as a "man of the people" who "stood up to the special interests." Unfortunately, citizens may go for the latter.

or they could go with jeb bush who has proposed getting rid of medicare. but he speaks Spanish!!

That way, he can tell the dirty illegals to go back to their own country a lot more easily.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: The 2016 Republican primary has arrived, who do you supp

Postby Alien Space Bats » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:54 pm

The Politics of Donald Trump's Candidacy

Heading into next Thursday's debate, the various major candidates and would-be candidates are each pursuing their own particular strategies.

For the pack, the biggest imperative is to get into the debate and try to make a splash. That's going to be hard with Trump in the middle of it, stealing all the oxygen; but they're going to have to try. For those who don't make the cut (like Santorum), the biggest remaining hope is to organize in Iowa and hope to make the next debate, especially if any of the Top Ten flame out.

For Jeb, there's a different strategic imperative. Jeb benefits the most from Trump's continued candidacy, in so far as Trump's presence in the race weakens most (if not all) of Jeb's potential adversaries. Trump himself is both unelectable and has no serious chance of securing the nomination; all Jeb has to do is let Trump crowd out all of his opponents, and then lower the boom on the Donald with a massive ad campaign devoted to annihilating Trump's image as a conservative (something that will be extraordinarily easy to do once conservatives start getting reminded of how dismissive the Donald is of faith and religion, how liberal he is on abortion and gay rights, how little he cares about gun rights, and how he's anything but a fan of small government). Ideally, Jeb gets to wait for everybody else to fold; he then destroys Trump and breezes to the nomination without any further difficulty.

For the next tier of challengers (and especially Scott Walker), there's also (some) incentive to waiting before letting Trump have it with both barrels. If Trump can winnow out the field, it will then be easy for somebody like Walker to inherit all of Trump's support and emerge as Jeb's principal challenger by annihilating Trump before the race gets too far along. Essentially, Trump would end up running interference for such a candidate, reducing the race to three people (Jeb, Trump, and Jeb's main challenger). Then, using the same strategy as Jeb might use (i.e. a massive media nuke job), this challenger (Walker would be ideal for this) knocks Trump out of the race and gets to go one-on-one with Jeb as the "conservative alternative" to Bush III.

As for Trump, I can't really imagine a winning strategy for him, although I CAN imagine several that would keep him in the race for the maximum possible length of time. The best, I believe, is to try to use criticism from his opponents as a virtue. The way this works would be for the Donald to essentially come back unapologetically swinging at his adversaries, doubling down on his position, and then playing on his unyielding stubbornness by saying something like:

"All of these other candidates are pussies (well, not that precisely; but who knows?). If they were under this kind of attack, they'd back down, they'd equivocate, they'd dissemble, they'd pretend they didn't say what they said or believe what they believe. But me? I'LL NEVER BACK DOWN. If the media attacks me, I'll go straight at the media; if Hillary attacks me, I'll go straight at Hillary. I'll never apologize and never let them shut me up; I'll tell them what I think 24/7, and make THEM back down, because they're pussies, too. I'll always be exactly what I say I am and always stand behind what I say, because that's what America wants. So fuck 'em (or words to that effect)!

This plays into Trump's appeal: Rank-and-file Republicans want a rude, in-your-face, unapologetic jerk who'll sya whatever he thinks and tell the Democrats, the media, the political establishment, and anybody else he doesn't like to go to Hell. They're angry and they want someone to channel their anger, to tell the world that they've had enough of politeness and political correctness and dissent and all the other pressures they feel that hold them back from saying whatever in the Hell comes to mind and just making everybody else around them eat it. They want to EMOTE, and the Donald is the best surrogate out there who can do it on TV and thus make them feel good about following him and doing it within their own lives. They want (in John Stewart's words) an asshole who makes it OK for them to be assholes, too, and that's what the Donald does in spades.

Will that win him the election, or even the nomination? No. But it can keep him in the race for a goog long time.

That leaves it to the bottom tier of candidates to try and prick Trump's bubble by outing him as a false conservative. Right now, none of these guys have the money to do it with an ad campaign, so if anybody at the bottom end who faces the danger of getting crowded out by Trump is going to take him out, it's got to be in the debates. Chris Christie is one potential candidate who could do this; Ted Cruz is another, and Mike Huckabee is a third. Marco Rubio is currently too close to the upper tier to take that kind of risk, Ben Carson doesn't have the temperament, and Rand Paul needs to spend the debate trying to reestablish his father's brand. That leaves whoever ends up drawing that 10th debate seat (which is currently being fought over by John Kasich, Rick Perry, Rick Santorum, and Carly Fiorina [I consider Bobby Jindal, Lindsey Graham, and George Pataki too far back to have a hope of grabbing it) as the other possible anti-Trump gunslinger; but then again, there's gong to be considerable pressure on the "bubble" candidate not to make a mistake that could cost them their place in the NEXT debate.

That said, this is a positively STUPID way to run a Presidential nominating race, and the GOP ought to be ashamed of itself. They've fucked this thing up royally.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:58 pm

God fucking damn it ASB, stop making us all look like uneducated idiots with no idea what we're talking about.

Also, if you've never published a book in any subject, I would be highly surprised.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:58 pm

Merizoc wrote:

The Republican party is killing itself from the inside out.

Can we think about for a minute just how bad the GOP is at their job, and how terrible the people representing the party are? As well as the fact that they only stand against things, they don't have a single pro-position in their agenda. It's all anti this, anti that.

It's really obnoxious, counterproductive and sad. The fact that people vote for them is, honestly, silly.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:12 pm

Chris Christie decides that he doesn't want the youth vote or the Libertarian vote.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie on Tuesday doused the hopes of those who might want to enjoy state-legalized marijuana with him in the White House.

"If you’re getting high in Colorado today, enjoy it," Christie, a Republican presidential candidate, said during a town-hall event in the early voting state of New Hampshire, according to Bloomberg.

“As of January 2017, I will enforce the federal laws,” he added.

Christie, who has long opposed recreational marijuana and said early this month that he has never tried pot, has stated that unlike President Obama he would not selectively choose which federal laws to enforce.

“If you want to change the marijuana laws, go ahead and change the national marijuana laws," the former prosecutor said Tuesday, according to Bloomberg.

Colorado and three other states have legalized recreational marijuana in recent years, including Washington, Oregon and Alaska, along with the District of Columbia.

Christie currently sits ninth in a crowded GOP field of more than a dozen candidates hoping to make it onto the stage for their party's first debate Aug. 6, which is capped at the top 10 based on recent polls.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:20 pm

If Christie sues the four states that have legalized marijuana, the case will end up at the Supreme Court. I can't say what the ruling would be, but Our Political Genius ASB might have a guess.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:21 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Chris Christie decides that he doesn't want the youth vote or the Libertarian vote.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie on Tuesday doused the hopes of those who might want to enjoy state-legalized marijuana with him in the White House.

"If you’re getting high in Colorado today, enjoy it," Christie, a Republican presidential candidate, said during a town-hall event in the early voting state of New Hampshire, according to Bloomberg.

“As of January 2017, I will enforce the federal laws,” he added.

Christie, who has long opposed recreational marijuana and said early this month that he has never tried pot, has stated that unlike President Obama he would not selectively choose which federal laws to enforce.

“If you want to change the marijuana laws, go ahead and change the national marijuana laws," the former prosecutor said Tuesday, according to Bloomberg.

Colorado and three other states have legalized recreational marijuana in recent years, including Washington, Oregon and Alaska, along with the District of Columbia.

Christie currently sits ninth in a crowded GOP field of more than a dozen candidates hoping to make it onto the stage for their party's first debate Aug. 6, which is capped at the top 10 based on recent polls.

Hah. Yeah, okay.

Speaking as someone who lives in Colorado, he'd lose our state so fucking bad it isn't even funny. Marijuana legalization has given us so many good results it's ridiculous to oppose it. Shit, I'd like to see what he'd do, because I don't see this state taking back Amendment 64 without being literally forced.
Last edited by Prussia-Steinbach on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: The 2016 Republican primary has arrived, who do you supp

Postby Alien Space Bats » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:06 pm

Geilinor wrote:If Christie sues the four states that have legalized marijuana, the case will end up at the Supreme Court. I can't say what the ruling would be, but Our Political Genius ASB might have a guess.

The current court would rule in favor of a Christie Administration. See Gonzales v. Raich, 545 U.S. 1 (2005) (Stevens, writing for the 6-3 majority, asserted that marijuana can be banned by the Federal government under the Constitution's Commerce Clause, even when a State has a law in place allowing individual use [in this case, the approved use was medicinal], thanks to Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942)], even if the person possessing said marijuana grew it themselves solely for their own use and never entered the market as a buyer or seller).
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Marylandonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Marylandonia » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:31 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Geilinor wrote:If Christie sues the four states that have legalized marijuana, the case will end up at the Supreme Court. I can't say what the ruling would be, but Our Political Genius ASB might have a guess.

The current court would rule in favor of a Christie Administration. See Gonzales v. Raich, 545 U.S. 1 (2005) (Stevens, writing for the 6-3 majority, asserted that marijuana can be banned by the Federal government under the Constitution's Commerce Clause, even when a State has a law in place allowing individual use [in this case, the approved use was medicinal], thanks to Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942)], even if the person possessing said marijuana grew it themselves solely for their own use and never entered the market as a buyer or seller).

But not to worry. A Chris Christie Administration only exists in the dreams of Mr. Christie himself. He is a dead political rat lying at the bottom of the trash can politic, just waiting for the garbage truck to haul his forlorn aspirations away to some undistinguished New Jersey landfill. THANK GOD!
ALT is New Jerzylvania

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:33 pm

Marylandonia wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:The current court would rule in favor of a Christie Administration. See Gonzales v. Raich, 545 U.S. 1 (2005) (Stevens, writing for the 6-3 majority, asserted that marijuana can be banned by the Federal government under the Constitution's Commerce Clause, even when a State has a law in place allowing individual use [in this case, the approved use was medicinal], thanks to Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942)], even if the person possessing said marijuana grew it themselves solely for their own use and never entered the market as a buyer or seller).

But not to worry. A Chris Christie Administration only exists in the dreams of Mr. Christie himself. He is a dead political rat lying at the bottom of the trash can politic, just waiting for the garbage truck to haul his forlorn aspirations away to some undistinguished New Jersey landfill. THANK GOD!

He's both a relative moderate and a personally appalling man, so he can't even win the primary.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:37 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Marylandonia wrote:

He's both a relative moderate and a personally appalling man, so he can't even win the primary.

Relative moderation is a plus for me, but the type of moderation I want can't come out of today's GOP.

Ayothaya
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayothaya » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:41 pm

Why is Trump not on this list? He's doing well in the polls, and I can think of no more perfect embodiment of the GOP than The Donald.
Under capitalism, man exploits man.
Under communism, it's just the opposite.

- J.K.Galbraith

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Ayothaya wrote:Why is Trump not on this list? He's doing well in the polls, and I can think of no more perfect embodiment of the GOP than The Donald.

The Donald hadn't entered the race when the poll was created.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:47 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Diopolis wrote:He's both a relative moderate and a personally appalling man, so he can't even win the primary.

Relative moderation is a plus for me, but the type of moderation I want can't come out of today's GOP.

It isn't to the type of people who aren't repelled by his personality.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Ayothaya
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayothaya » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:00 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Ayothaya wrote:Why is Trump not on this list? He's doing well in the polls, and I can think of no more perfect embodiment of the GOP than The Donald.

The Donald hadn't entered the race when the poll was created.

That's a shame, and they should really update this thread, given that at this point he's a more viable candidate than many others listed here.
Under capitalism, man exploits man.
Under communism, it's just the opposite.

- J.K.Galbraith

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:05 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Relative moderation is a plus for me, but the type of moderation I want can't come out of today's GOP.

It isn't to the type of people who aren't repelled by his personality.

Christie would come off as Diet Coke after those people got a fix of Trump.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Insaeldor » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:07 pm

Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Faiz-Izstan
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Faiz-Izstan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:09 pm

Rand Paul said that some of his friend's kids got autism from vaccines. Classic Conspiritard.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/electio ... rs-n298821

I'm Fiscally Conservative, and Socially Liberal. Do you know any Republican candidates that fit this role?

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:11 pm

Faiz-Izstan wrote:Rand Paul said that some of his friend's kids got autism from vaccines. Classic Conspiritard.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/electio ... rs-n298821

I'm Fiscally Conservative, and Socially Liberal. Do you know any Republican candidates that fit this role?

No. You'd be better served looking into a libertarian candidate.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General