NATION

PASSWORD

Which two of these character traits?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which two of these character traits?

Courage and a sense of humor.
29%
Courage and ethics.
28%
A sense of humor and ethics.
43%

Total votes : 68

The chrisman union
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 13, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The chrisman union » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Can I have all 3?
Embassy
The Allied Nations of the Chrisman Union (ANCU)
Leader: President Christian Veldt
Armed forces: 900,000
Population: 340,000,000
Government type: Liberal Social Democracy
Shebu wrote: 9 out of 10 times when you have a Ak47 pointed at you, you pay attention.

North Defese wrote:If I had a nickle and the head of everyone who called me [Defense], I'd be rich, and thrown in prison for all the mutliated corpses strewn about my house.

Tunizcha wrote:Never get in a staring contest with a cat. Even if you win, you still lose, because you just spent 5 minutes staring at a cat.

Canadai wrote:In Canadai, the vertically impaired are treated as equal citizens, and given ladders by the government.

Niur wrote:Lets all just get brain transplants to shark bodies.
Defcon: 1 2 3 4 [5]

WWII History Geeks
Minister

Founded: Mar 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby WWII History Geeks » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:28 pm

Czardas wrote:
WWII History Geeks wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:What do want, a blow-job or something?

Which is something I will not give...

It wasn't you he asked. <.<

I know. :)
The goldfish crackers will win. Do you know why they smile? Because when they get inside you they start eating you from the inside out.

Grandtaria: "I would rather live my life each day thinking there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than to live my thinking that there isn't and die to find out there is."
Conservative Morality: "When in Rome, do as the Romans. When out of Rome, do as the Romans anyway, it's not like anyone is ballsy enough to piss off Rome."

Finally fixed: The thread may be gone, but I'm still a "To Hell with This'er!," damnit! :D

Boob sisters with Celestial Divinities!

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:40 pm

WWII History Geeks wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:What do want, a blow-job or something?

Which is something I will not give...

I was talking to the guy with the big mouth.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:40 pm

The chrisman union wrote:Can I have all 3?

Then we wouldn't have a discussion, would we?
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Aelosia
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelosia » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:38 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Aelosia wrote:Courage is not something I admire. For me it is silly, or bluntly idiotic.

Cowardice in the right time is something I do admire.

Then you're gonna love me. [/Batman]

Well, no, not really. I am somewhat courageous, and I've hit people that pissed me off before, and it was stupid. :(

But it felt really good.

Feel really good to pay for it, and do not suffer any kind of guilt, consequence, or even physical exertion.

If you feel good by hitting things...Well. You haven't even started.

Fartsniffage wrote:
Aelosia wrote:Courage is not something I admire. For me it is silly, or bluntly idiotic.

Cowardice in the right time is something I do admire.

Courage could be defined as running away without fear of losing face should the situation warrant it.

Then you can define courage as anything positive. If courage then is defined as both staying and running, and being smart, and cool and everything, then yes, give me some.

Meh.
My ratings in the top 100:
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Largest Defense Forces
Aelosia is ranked 13th in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced
Aelosia is ranked 20th in the world for Most Cultured
Aelosia is ranked 24th in the world for Most Subsidized Industry
Aelosia is ranked 25th in the world for Fastest-Growing Economies
Aelosia is ranked 38th in the world for Largest Public Transport Department
Aelosia is ranked 42th in the world for Largest Publishing Industry
Aelosia is ranked 51th in the world for Largest Information Technology Sector
Aelosia is ranked 61th in the world for Largest Arms Manufacturing Sector

Factbook so far.

JarVik
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby JarVik » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:58 pm

I'll go with ethics and a sense of humour.

Why? Well ethics is relative so it does not mean that a couragous person with ethics won't do something nasty from my perspective, and a couragous person without a sense of ethics might be very much inclined to be nasty.

So that leaves ethics with a sense of humour.

Course all 3 plus brains would be better.
I like pancakes!
In search of SpellCheck
Swims with Leaches!

Pevisopolis
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Pevisopolis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Voted Courage and a Sense of Humor. However, I always prefer Intelligence over Courage.
Jesus God almighty man, look at that lot over there! They've spotted us!

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:03 pm

Aelosia wrote:Feel really good to pay for it, and do not suffer any kind of guilt, consequence, or even physical exertion.

If you feel good by hitting things...Well. You haven't even started.

It makes my feel good to hit people who deserve it. I confess it is a stupid idea for me to decide who deserves what, and hitting people is a bad habit altogether, but if Rush Limbaugh crossed my path, I don't think I could restrain myself. It's like that. I don't hit anyone who just says something stupid, nor do I hit helpless individuals (my anger barely lasts a few seconds), unless I'm in a real fight, but I do hit people who are asking for it by repetitive behavior they know is unwise.
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:04 pm

JarVik wrote:Course all 3 plus brains would be better.

I believe I made it clear in the OP that intelligence is included with all the options.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Pevisopolis
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Pevisopolis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:08 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

I believe I made it clear in the OP that intelligence is included with all the options.

Not all characters are intelligent by default. Maybe you should just add it on as another option.
Jesus God almighty man, look at that lot over there! They've spotted us!

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:11 pm

Pevisopolis wrote:Not all characters are intelligent by default. Maybe you should just add it on as another option.

First-off, that would fuck-up my question. Secondly, we are assuming they are for the sake of argument, because nobody is going to want courage without brains. Thirdly, I can't alter the poll.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Aelosia
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelosia » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:44 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:It makes my feel good to hit people who deserve it.

No, I can understand the feeling, but given my condition I got used to express my disdain/hatred in other ways than mere physical damage.

The Parkus Empire wrote:I confess it is a stupid idea for me to decide who deserves what

No, it isn't. Who better than you? As most people, I do accept social judgment based on peer pressure, but I am sure that according to my standards, (that in the end should be the only valids for me), I am the most qualified person to decide who deserves what. You should think the same, I can't see why deciding who deserves what is stupid. Would you relinquish that privilige should you could get away with it, really? Stupid may be acting about that decision without thinking about all the posibble consequences first, but for the rest...
My ratings in the top 100:
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Largest Defense Forces
Aelosia is ranked 13th in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced
Aelosia is ranked 20th in the world for Most Cultured
Aelosia is ranked 24th in the world for Most Subsidized Industry
Aelosia is ranked 25th in the world for Fastest-Growing Economies
Aelosia is ranked 38th in the world for Largest Public Transport Department
Aelosia is ranked 42th in the world for Largest Publishing Industry
Aelosia is ranked 51th in the world for Largest Information Technology Sector
Aelosia is ranked 61th in the world for Largest Arms Manufacturing Sector

Factbook so far.

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:55 am

My view of morality is that the moral person is courageous in certain contexts, so delineating the two makes little sense.

Having too much bravado - being foolhardy - is not being courageous, and I don't see it as a good trait to have.
I suffer, I labour, I dream, I enjoy, I think; and, in a word, when my last hour strikes, I shall have lived.

Mean Feat
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mean Feat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:18 am

I consider "having a sense of humor" a weakly-defined and 'feelgood' criterion compared to courage.

"Sense of ethics" is pretty vague, too.

My vote must include courage, I favor "sense of ethics" over "having a sense of humor" and thus I vote #2: courage and ethics.

And observe that the poll sucks.
— written by Mean Feat.

Mean Feat wrote:The Latham of the Liberals. Tony Abbott.

Tanya Plibersek Mon 22 Feb 2010 wrote:"Tony is the 'Mark Latham' of the Liberal Party.

She didn't get to explain why.

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:26 am

Chumblywumbly wrote:My view of morality is that the moral person is courageous in certain contexts, so delineating the two makes little sense.

Having too much bravado - being foolhardy - is not being courageous, and I don't see it as a good trait to have.

I always thought courage was something like... the capability to overcome your fears or something. Of course, one could easily define it as the ability to do the right or ethical thing in spite of any intrinsic or extrinsic limitations...
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:31 am

Czardas wrote:I always thought courage was something like... the capability to overcome your fears or something. Of course, one could easily define it as the ability to do the right or ethical thing in spite of any intrinsic or extrinsic limitations...

Being able to overcome your fears is a part of what makes up courage, but to be courageous one must be brave and overcome one's fears in the correct manner.
I suffer, I labour, I dream, I enjoy, I think; and, in a word, when my last hour strikes, I shall have lived.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:32 am

A sense of humor and ethics: it is important to know the concept, but also there is a need to make it interesting.

JarVik
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby JarVik » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:03 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

And I made and posted a choice based on those options, the extra bit your complaining about is just that extra little bit for kicks. As I did answer your direct stipulation of choices I'm not sure why your complaining
I like pancakes!
In search of SpellCheck
Swims with Leaches!

Zatarack
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Zatarack » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:05 pm

Ethics, and the courage to act on them.
Dying is easy. Comedy is hard. - George Bernard Shaw
Ooo, I like the sound of Post-Modern Technology - does it have an advanced sense of irony? - Apocalypsin

Zabum
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zabum » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:37 pm

I believe that the right understanding is more important than the right actions so I vote for ethics and sense of humor because they help intellect more than courage. I am not a courageous person, so maybe I have a bias against courage because of it. :unsure:

Cloddhopper-Love
Envoy

Founded: Nov 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cloddhopper-Love » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:52 am

Ethics be burned, if it came down to it, I'd much rather hang out with an unethical, but courageous and fun-loving person

Capitalistliberals
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Capitalistliberals » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:53 am

Ethics are in everyone we just have a different ethical code.
God's a homophobe, or secretly in a space closet, why do u think he made Mary have a virgin birth? He didn't want to touch a girl...Also notice how all of god's main pals are men(arch angels) coincidence? I think not.

Dododecapod
Minister

Founded: Nov 02, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dododecapod » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:59 am

Courage and Humour.

I'd rather be Don Quixote than the Knight of Mirrors.
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General