NATION

PASSWORD

Google in Australia "agrees to take down" an offensive site

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mean Feat
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mean Feat » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:02 am

Hindopia wrote:So what is the problem with Political Compass?

My problem with it is that "two co-ordinates instead of one" satisfies so many people, who have already realized the deficiency of left-and-right as measures of political position. It's just a stronger version of the same divide, which invites us to characterize a poster by their scores (two of them, instead of one) on a test with many other variables not statistically accounted for. And with the accounting method not disclosed in the "results" of the test.

Politics is about balancing one thing against another. It's about personal choices, it includes allegiances of personal or tribal or political origin, which aren't necessarily mentioned in debate. Politics includes the personal, and the tactical, and the trans-personal, and the ideological. Politics is something we DO. And it's just insulting to map my "political position" ... or yours ... as left or right, up or down, or even both at once.

Two dimensions of politics is better than one. But I still take it as stereotyping. I take it as "you believe this thing libertarians believe in, therefore you believe in these other things libertarians believe in". I take it as political profiling, fitting of the poster to a suit of opinions.

I still see the collectivist nature of public politics, being imposed on our personal politics. I don't find Political Compass significantly better than a test which places candidates on "the left" or "the right". The x=y correlation having been amply demonstrated, it is best that we put Political Compass in our box of beloved toys, to be brought out in sentimental moments as an example of how we were once very naive.
— written by Mean Feat.

Mean Feat wrote:The Latham of the Liberals. Tony Abbott.

Tanya Plibersek Mon 22 Feb 2010 wrote:"Tony is the 'Mark Latham' of the Liberal Party.

She didn't get to explain why.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:06 am

Damnit, Obama send the army to liberate Australia.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Grandais
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Grandais » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:38 am

Obama couldn't even liberate his own country.
DEFCON 5 [4] 3 2 1
Grandais News|Factbook|Embassies

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:39 am

If that kind of crap ever happens on a world wide scale, I have a couple of thousand websites to submit that I find very offensive, and ought to be taken down at once :evil:
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

Grandais
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Grandais » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:46 am

F1-Insanity wrote:If that kind of crap ever happens on a world wide scale, I have a couple of thousand websites to submit that I find very offensive, and ought to be taken down at once :evil:

:eyebrow:
DEFCON 5 [4] 3 2 1
Grandais News|Factbook|Embassies

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:49 am

Grandais wrote:
F1-Insanity wrote:If that kind of crap ever happens on a world wide scale, I have a couple of thousand websites to submit that I find very offensive, and ought to be taken down at once :evil:

:eyebrow:

The only way to fight such "we must ban all that is 'offensive'" is to flood their system with requests to ban all sorts of websites that they themselves did not intend to ban when they drew up their rule system.
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

Previous

Return to General