NATION

PASSWORD

What the F@%!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you like the FCC

Yes, I'm tired of the censorship
84
55%
No, It's essential for our children saftey
17
11%
Other
20
13%
I don't give a F
32
21%
 
Total votes : 153

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 31130
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:04 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Can a four year old be an adult before they mature? Can a six year old? Can a two year old?

Can a parent, oh, I don't know, control what their child watches on the television set?

Of course. Can you wait until 10:00 at night for the less family friendly fare? Because I'm sure reasonable parents have their kids in bed by then.

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76333
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:06 am

Katganistan wrote:Of course. Can you wait until 10:00 at night for the less family friendly fare? Because I'm sure reasonable parents have their kids in bed by then.

And why must I cater to them? Why not vice versa?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 31130
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:06 am

Huntersunited wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Can a four year old be an adult before they mature? Can a six year old? Can a two year old?

Can a parent, oh, I don't know, control what their child watches on the television set?


Exactly!

Not on older TV sets.


Well maybe children should be doing more productive things.

Watching porn is productive? :rofl:

User avatar
Huntersunited
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 139
Founded: Dec 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Huntersunited » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:06 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:sure people don't want to hear it. and do you know why? Because people call it a "bad word". All it is is a stronger word that you can use to express your opinion. For example, "I am so fucking happy right now!" does that sound negative to you? mIt's alot more effective than saying, " I am really happy right now!" And if you put it the other way, " I fucking hate exams" sounds stronger than 'I hate exams."


Blatant discussion of sex on T.V. is alright, just not saying: "Ow, I hurt my fucking toe!"


What, whose side are you on? Are you agreeing with me? Whether you are or not you made a good point, it's ok for the to talk about sex and drugs, but not say "fuck" when there angry?

User avatar
The Parkus Empire
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43030
Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:06 am

Conserative Morality wrote:And why must I cater to them? Why not vice versa?


Tyranny by majority. Image
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

User avatar
Hamilay
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1171
Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamilay » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:07 am

Katganistan wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Most T.V. stations would still censor their material without the influence of the FCC.

True. Because if they offend their customers (aka viewers), the customers will go elsewhere. The customers will also boycott the advertisers paying for the programming that viewers found offensive. It's happened before.


So... why do you think the FCC is useful again?

User avatar
Huntersunited
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 139
Founded: Dec 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Huntersunited » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:07 am

New Limacon wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:sure people don't want to hear it. and do you know why? Because people call it a "bad word".

Well, yes, that's how most words acquire meaning, by people deciding what they mean.
All it is is a stronger word that you can use to express your opinion. For example, "I am so fucking happy right now!" does that sound negative to you? mIt's alot more effective than saying, " I am really happy right now!" And if you put it the other way, " I fucking hate exams" sounds stronger than 'I hate exams."

In time, I think most people will agree with you. But right now, it is still profane.


Your probably the most reasonable person I've argued with.

User avatar
New Limacon
Diplomat
 
Posts: 618
Founded: Apr 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Limacon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:08 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:Anyway, eight-year-olds don't buy televisions.

Right, and as I said earlier, it is very difficult to prevent children from watching TV even if their family doesn't have one. I remember one of my brother's preschool friends who often talked about what he saw on Judge Judy, even though his parents didn't allow him to watch any TV and I don't believe they even owned one. The mild censorship of the FCC (and it is mild, compared to what has existed in the past and what still exists in many places) is nothing compared to the parental totalitarianism necessary to keep children from seeing any television, ever.
"It is a far, far better thing to have an anchor in nonsense than to push out to the troubled seas of thought."
Gnomeragen wrote:i wasn't argueing over your realigon i was pronocing your stupidity

New Limacon's Watermark of Quality

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 31130
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:09 am

Huntersunited wrote:
Katganistan wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Katganistan wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Smunkeeville wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:
Smunkeeville wrote:Hi CM, how are you today? I'm not doing so well. I hurt my foot last night and I'm in pain and I have a really low threshold for bullshit. So, I'm going to try to make this short and sweet.

You do NOT have a right to entertainment. Entertainment costs money. You have to pay for it. If you want something that's uncommon you have to pay more. Such is life.

Of course I don't have a right to entertainment. But is it right for a small group of people to force their SPECIFIC TASTES on everyone else in this country?

Nobody is forcing you to watch what they like. Case in point I've never seen LOST. You have access to the entertainment you want. Nothing is banned. You're just throwing a fit because you don't want to pay.


That's not exactly true, the people who censor T.V. are forcing you to watch what they want, or rather not watch what you want.

Except when you buy Showtime, and HBO, and Cinemax, and Adult channels, and Cable.... and DVDs.

Such oppression.


key word there is BUY. Do you know why we have to buy it? Because parents are too lazy to monitor there kids. If there was no censorship, they might not be free, but they would have to lower prices to compete with other stations.

No, it's because children are citizens too, and they are included in what stations offer as free programming.
Your choice and ability to pay for what you want is not censorship.


If children are citizens just like us, then why can't they vote? They don't have the same rights as us, and for gods sake, I should not have to pay for shows because the government censors the word "fuck". What's the big deal about that word? I hear children say it all the time, it's not like they've never heard it before.

I didn't say "citizens like us". I said citizens. You think they can get sold into slavery because they're a lesser animal or something?

You don't HAVE to pay for television. You don't. You WANT a particular style of television. It is not a necessity. You will not die without porn. If you want it, buy it.

User avatar
Flameswroth
Senator
 
Posts: 4773
Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:09 am

Huntersunited wrote:All it is is a stronger word that you can use to express your opinion. For example, "I am so fucking happy right now!" does that sound negative to you? mIt's alot more effective than saying, " I am really happy right now!" And if you put it the other way, " I fucking hate exams" sounds stronger than 'I hate exams."

To me it seems like a lazy man's "stronger word". For instance, you could say, "I am so incredibly happy right now." or "I am so amazingly happy right now" or in the other case "I really hate exams", "I despise exams", "I loathe exams", etc.

Besides, when a swear word functions as a 'sentence enhancer' (thanks, Spongebob) because of its offensive nature, not in spite of it. When you say "That was a fucking good hotdog", people are momentarily struck by the fact that you feel strongly enough to swear about it, while other words actually exist for the purpose of escalating the strength of a statement.

/shrug
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.



User avatar
East Canuck
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 435
Founded: May 03, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby East Canuck » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:09 am

I oppose the FCC but not because of censorship.
It has become a political tool for cryonism and retribution.
Friends of the people currently in power get nominated to the FCC for all the ills that does (exhibit a: Katrina response)
It is also used by said people to bash the opposition (exhibit B:the stupendous fine CBS recieved for Jant Jackson's nipple. CBS was also putting heat on the Bush administration for his stance on Irak at the time)

User avatar
Huntersunited
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 139
Founded: Dec 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Huntersunited » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:09 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:And why must I cater to them? Why not vice versa?


Tyranny by majority. Image


But do the kids pat taxes? Do they work hard every day? Do they cook and clean the house? (maybe sometimes) Mostly no, so why should we put them above us?

User avatar
The Parkus Empire
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43030
Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:11 am

Huntersunited wrote:But do the kids pat taxes? Do they work hard every day? Do they cook and clean the house? (maybe sometimes) Mostly no, so why should we put them above us?


Paying taxes is not required to have a say in this nation. Besides that, you also have the parents' vote.
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76333
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:11 am

Katganistan wrote:I didn't say "citizens like us". I said citizens. You think they can get sold into slavery because they're a lesser animal or something?

You don't HAVE to pay for television. You don't. You WANT a particular style of television. It is not a necessity. You will not die without porn. If you want it, buy it.

You know what else?

Parents don't HAVE to pay for television. They want a particular kind of television that also isn't a necessity. Children will not die without television.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
Huntersunited
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 139
Founded: Dec 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Huntersunited » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:12 am

Flameswroth wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:All it is is a stronger word that you can use to express your opinion. For example, "I am so fucking happy right now!" does that sound negative to you? mIt's alot more effective than saying, " I am really happy right now!" And if you put it the other way, " I fucking hate exams" sounds stronger than 'I hate exams."

To me it seems like a lazy man's "stronger word". For instance, you could say, "I am so incredibly happy right now." or "I am so amazingly happy right now" or in the other case "I really hate exams", "I despise exams", "I loathe exams", etc.

Besides, when a swear word functions as a 'sentence enhancer' (thanks, Spongebob) because of its offensive nature, not in spite of it. When you say "That was a fucking good hotdog", people are momentarily struck by the fact that you feel strongly enough to swear about it, while other words actually exist for the purpose of escalating the strength of a statement.


Yet none are as strong as "Fuck". You know why? Because that's why society dislikes those words, because there just strong words and apparently society doesn't want you to feel strong enough to use those words.
Last edited by Huntersunited on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Yootopia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8410
Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:13 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I didn't say "citizens like us". I said citizens. You think they can get sold into slavery because they're a lesser animal or something?

You don't HAVE to pay for television. You don't. You WANT a particular style of television. It is not a necessity. You will not die without porn. If you want it, buy it.

You know what else?

Parents don't HAVE to pay for television. They want a particular kind of television that also isn't a necessity. Children will not die without television.

Would you not be a bit bored sans telly? Computers demand a bit too much attention to be quite as social as sitting around the telly having a chat.
End the Modigarchy now.

User avatar
Huntersunited
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 139
Founded: Dec 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Huntersunited » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:15 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:But do the kids pat taxes? Do they work hard every day? Do they cook and clean the house? (maybe sometimes) Mostly no, so why should we put them above us?


Paying taxes is not required to have a say in this nation. Besides that, you also have the parents' vote.


The IRS still comes after you if you don't, and you should have to pay taxes to have a say.

User avatar
The Parkus Empire
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43030
Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:15 am

New Limacon wrote:Right, and as I said earlier, it is very difficult to prevent children from watching TV even if their family doesn't have one. I remember one of my brother's preschool friends who often talked about what he saw on Judge Judy, even though his parents didn't allow him to watch any TV and I don't believe they even owned one. The mild censorship of the FCC (and it is mild, compared to what has existed in the past and what still exists in many places) is nothing compared to the parental totalitarianism necessary to keep children from seeing any television, ever.


If the child talks about Judge Judy, he's probably old enough to have heard and seen atrocious things at school. I now ask you this: should the FCC censor the internet? Children are bound to use a computer whether their parents allow it or not.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

User avatar
Flameswroth
Senator
 
Posts: 4773
Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:16 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I didn't say "citizens like us". I said citizens. You think they can get sold into slavery because they're a lesser animal or something?

You don't HAVE to pay for television. You don't. You WANT a particular style of television. It is not a necessity. You will not die without porn. If you want it, buy it.

You know what else?

Parents don't HAVE to pay for television. They want a particular kind of television that also isn't a necessity. Children will not die without television.

Now on that italicized I definitely agree. Though I feel its a topic for another thread at another time, I definitely feel children watch too much TV in general, regardless of whether said TV is censored by the FCC or not. I've already made a firm resolution in my mind that my children will not be using the computer for anything more than school work until they're at least in their late teens, so they can do more real world stuff instead :P

In general I think you make a valid enough point, and the question comes down to whether or not either preference warrants a change to the original system. Sure, parents don't have to pay for TV for their kids, but is their preference outweighed by the preference of those who want less censorship, such that a change is warranted? I wouldn't think so. Looking at it from that perspective, it seems like a wash; neither groups feelings should outweigh the other, so there is no harm in keeping it the way it is.
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.



User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 31130
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:17 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Nice strawman.

It's not a strawman, unless you've forgotten the meaning of the term. I did not misrepresent you argument in any way. You asked why we should split one body up into two, more power-specific bodies. I answered with the example of the Senate and the House, and that concentrating power isn't exactly optimal.

Our government developed that way to give equal representation to small states and large states, but never mind that, there's a completely specious argument to be made!!!!

Really? I suppose that's why both Senate and House can introduce tax bills. :roll:
Given that BOTH DUTIES ARE ALREADY THE JOB OF THE FCC, it's pointless to create another body.

I'm sure the supporters of the Articles of Confederation said the same thing about making two congressional houses.
You're just being completely unreasonable and making up wild arguments because you can't fathom that people disagree with you that free TV should be what you dictate.

Kat, I'm not the one who's been unreasonable in this thread. So far, you've accused me, falsely, of making a strawman argument, and presented an astounding lack of information on the subject of discussion. I haven't made up wild arguments, only arguments you've been unable to refute, unless excessive use of exclamation points count. I can very well fathom that people disagree with my view of censorship. I attempt to bring them over to my side with logical arguments, arguments that you seem to have trouble accepting.
BUY CABLE. You can get everything you want there.

Who said I wanted it? This is a matter of principle, not personal taste.
But you'd rather rant about how the current system is oppressive because it includes programming that's suitable for those who CAN'T buy it -- that is, children.

Because channels don't appeal to niche markets?

Because TV would degenerate entirely without the FCC controlling it?

Because children's channels are so hard to come by, and expensive to maintain?

And so on.

Except that the Senate and the House developed that way, as any third grader knows, to give more equal representation to smaller, less populous states -- not to split up duties that already exist. And the Senate and the House have far more duties than to decide what is proper vis a vis broadcast. So yes, comparing the FCC to the Congress is a strawman.

I haven't provided any information? Like the quotation of the statute that created the FCC, and what it was meant for? I haven't provided support for my argument? Now who's making false statements?

Buy your porn. It's not hard to come by or expensive to maintain.
Last edited by Katganistan on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The Parkus Empire
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43030
Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:18 am

Huntersunited wrote:The IRS still comes after you if you don't,


No kidding. I just got a letter from them for making a mistake.

and you should have to pay taxes to have a say.


You don't need a job to vote and a child is legally protected even if his mother wishes him dead.
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76333
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:20 am

Katganistan wrote:Except that the Senate and the House developed that way, as any third grader knows, to give more equal representation to smaller, less populous states -- not to split up duties that already exist. And the Senate and the House have far more duties than to decide what is proper vis a vis broadcast. So yes, comparing the FCC to the Congress is a strawman.

Except that the Senate and the House developed, as anyone with more than a passing knowledge of the founding of our country knows, to balance the power in a unicameral system, and this manifests itself in one of several ways, one being the splitting of duty.

And Kat, learn the definition of a strawman.
A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.


Not misrepresentation via example of a subject of debate (Which, may I remind you, I did not), misrepresentation of an opponent's position!
And really? presented no evidence? Not like I quoted the statute that created the FCC or anything, right?
Who's making false statements, now?

It's not like I didn't even mention evidence in that post.

Oh, wait...
Buy your porn. It's not hard to come by or expensive to maintain.

Get over yourself. The morals of many should not dictate the freedom of a few.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
Riaka
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 143
Founded: Jan 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Riaka » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:20 am

Andaluciae wrote:That's pretty much what we're doing in Afghanistan, only the target is China, and the message is don't fuck with our superpower status. If you do, we'll kill you in a variety of different ways. All of them totally fucking insane. We'll probably use bats--how would you like that China? Bats. Scary, don't you think?

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 31130
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:20 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I didn't say "citizens like us". I said citizens. You think they can get sold into slavery because they're a lesser animal or something?

You don't HAVE to pay for television. You don't. You WANT a particular style of television. It is not a necessity. You will not die without porn. If you want it, buy it.

You know what else?

Parents don't HAVE to pay for television. They want a particular kind of television that also isn't a necessity. Children will not die without television.

The FCC is supposed to provide communication suitable for everyone without discrimination, and that includes kids.

Next?

User avatar
Karsol
Senator
 
Posts: 4431
Founded: Jan 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Karsol » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:22 am

Katganistan wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I didn't say "citizens like us". I said citizens. You think they can get sold into slavery because they're a lesser animal or something?

You don't HAVE to pay for television. You don't. You WANT a particular style of television. It is not a necessity. You will not die without porn. If you want it, buy it.

You know what else?

Parents don't HAVE to pay for television. They want a particular kind of television that also isn't a necessity. Children will not die without television.

The FCC is supposed to provide communication suitable for everyone without discrimination, and that includes kids.

Next?

I don't see why swearing is such a big issue. :eyebrow:
01010000 01100101 01101110 01101001 01110011 00100001 00100001 00100001
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arne Rothko, Escondia, Fartsniffage, Hiachijan, Jack Thomas Lang, Nova Cyberia, Philjia, Proctopeo, Torrocca

Advertisement

Remove ads