NATION

PASSWORD

What the F@%!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you like the FCC

Yes, I'm tired of the censorship
55%
No, It's essential for our children saftey
11%
Other
13%
I don't give a F
21%

Total votes : 153

Flameswroth
Senator

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:39 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:im not forcing anything. im just on the winning end of government policy.

Change my words to 'supporting'.

yeah i support that there should be some media outlets that are forced to offer programming without "FUCK", without tits, without excessive sexual and violent content.

just as i support that there should be some media outlets where those rules do not apply.

are you really missing out because dr house can't say "fuck it all"?

I agree with your point, but believe you used a bad example. Society as a whole is most certainly missing out because of that :P
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:40 am

Ashmoria wrote:yeah i support that there should be some media outlets that are forced to offer programming without "FUCK", without tits, without excessive sexual and violent content.

just as i support that there should be some media outlets where those rules do not apply.

Not at all. Well, perhaps in some cases, although I'm not sure I can imagine him saying that. Why is 'fuck' so bad? Why is nudity and violent content so horrible it must be outright banned in certain places? Because YOU, and you alone find them offensive? Why are your tastes so important as to support outright censorship for everyone who's watching these channels?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:40 am

Flameswroth wrote:I agree with your point, but believe you used a bad example. Society as a whole is most certainly missing out because of that :P

You agree that having your tastes dictate the law is a good thing?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:40 am

Some of the dubs of cluster f-bombs on tv are humorous.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Cirona
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cirona » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:41 am

Ashmoria wrote:yeah i support that there should be some media outlets that are forced to offer programming without "FUCK",

what's wrong with the word fuck? :blink:

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:41 am

Flameswroth wrote:I think excessive swearing, including use of more exotic swears, should be considered more like...a commodity. That is to say, the more extreme cases of language, violence and sex ought not to be broadcast freely over the air-waves. You should have to buy a cable package to include channels that have that kind of content. And from what I understand, that's kind of how things are now so...yeah.

I gotta say though, when you let twelve-year-olds run rampant with lingual autonomy, you get horrible dialogue, like the second half of District 9. It's kind of like having a 1/4" thick cake with 3" of icing on it. It just makes you sick.

Ok, maybe it went a little overboard with cussing, but didn't you hear? Niell Blomkamp had the actors make up their lines!

And swearing improves tolerance to pain. Bite yourself, then let it rip.
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:41 am

Cirona wrote:what's wrong with the word fuck? :blink:

It's the living incarnation of evil. :roll:

Flameswroth
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:45 am

Flameswroth wrote:I agree with your point, but believe you used a bad example. Society as a whole is most certainly missing out because of that :P

You agree that having your tastes dictate the law is a good thing?

I agree that other people's tastes shouldn't dictate the law, yes. Currently, my tastes ARE the law. It's other people's tastes that would change it at this point.

Call it a lack of confidence in the entertainment industry. Technically, I should trust the market's ability to provide censored channels for those of us who want them without government interference, and TBH I doubt most channels would change their formats to more vulgar ones even if those prohibitions were lifted. Even so, as I said, I think the more extreme sources of language, violence and sex in the media are a premium people should have to buy. :)
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

Cirona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Cirona » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:45 am

Cirona wrote:what's wrong with the word fuck? :blink:

It's the living incarnation of evil. :roll:

and I thought that was Stewart Gilligan Griffin...

Yeah, but fuck is just a word. a word. it's not like when you say it, you are killing someone. its just a word.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:45 am

Flameswroth wrote:I agree that other people's tastes shouldn't dictate the law, yes. Currently, my tastes ARE the law. It's other people's tastes that would change it at this point.

Call it a lack of confidence in the entertainment industry. Technically, I should trust the market's ability to provide censored channels for those of us who want them without government interference, and TBH I doubt most channels would change their formats to more vulgar ones even if those prohibitions were lifted. Even so, as I said, I think the more extreme sources of language, violence and sex in the media are a premium people should have to buy. :)

Charging people extra merely because you have a difference in taste with them. Wow.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:46 am

Ashmoria wrote:yeah i support that there should be some media outlets that are forced to offer programming without "FUCK", without tits, without excessive sexual and violent content.

Why force them to? I expect many stations would still be interested in offering "family-friendly" content.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:46 am

Cirona wrote:and I thought that was Stewart Gilligan Griffin...

Yeah, but fuck is just a word. a word. it's not like when you say it, you are killing someone. its just a word.

Not according to the censors. Every time you say 'fuck' you obviously bring a lifetime of misery to a blind child with two permanently broken legs.

Flameswroth
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:47 am

Flameswroth wrote:I agree that other people's tastes shouldn't dictate the law, yes. Currently, my tastes ARE the law. It's other people's tastes that would change it at this point.

Charging people extra merely because you have a difference in taste with them. Wow.

Their taste is more exotic, so they pay the extra price involved. It's like unlocking the full features of a trial version of software, or paying for a name brand product when generic is available. /shrug

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:47 am

Linux and the X wrote:Why force them to? I expect many stations would still be interested in offering "family-friendly" content.

Channels offering taste-specific selections? Unheard of!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:48 am

Flameswroth wrote:Their taste is more exotic, so they pay the extra price involved. It's like unlocking the full features of a trial version of software, or paying for a name brand product when generic is available. /shrug

It's more like buying Microsoft Word and only being able to use Times New Roman until you pay another ten dollars for every time you want to use a different font or font size. :meh:

Smunkeeville
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Smunkeeville » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:48 am

Hi CM, how are you today? I'm not doing so well. I hurt my foot last night and I'm in pain and I have a really low threshold for bullshit. So, I'm going to try to make this short and sweet.

You do NOT have a right to entertainment. Entertainment costs money. You have to pay for it. If you want something that's uncommon you have to pay more. Such is life.

Nobody is oppressing you by charging you to watch Susie fuck 32 guys.
"I like vacuuming, I find it cathartic. It's like I imagine all the people who tick me off being little pieces of lint and I'm sucking them up a tube into a vortex of terror, it's a healthy way to deal with my frustrations." - Smunkling, aged 8

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:49 am

Flameswroth wrote:Even so, as I said, I think the more extreme sources of language, violence and sex in the media are a premium people should have to buy. :)

And what of station owners? Should they have to pay as well? How much do you suggest?
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Cirona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Cirona » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:49 am

Cirona wrote:and I thought that was Stewart Gilligan Griffin...

Not according to the censors. Every time you say 'fuck' you obviously bring a lifetime of misery to a blind child with two permanently broken legs.

Every child must be blind with two permanently broken legs now :(

Flameswroth
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:52 am

Linux and the X wrote:
Flameswroth wrote:Even so, as I said, I think the more extreme sources of language, violence and sex in the media are a premium people should have to buy. :)

And what of station owners? Should they have to pay as well? How much do you suggest?

I think the current system that channels like HBO and Showtime use work just fine. In fact, the whole current system is just dandy as far as I'm concerned. I'm not really advocating any change from the status quo, really.
Flameswroth wrote:Their taste is more exotic, so they pay the extra price involved. It's like unlocking the full features of a trial version of software, or paying for a name brand product when generic is available. /shrug

It's more like buying Microsoft Word and only being able to use Times New Roman until you pay another ten dollars for every time you want to use a different font or font size. :meh:

More like Microsoft Word only starts by allowing you to use Times New Roman, but for 10 dollars a month you get a subscription allowing you to utilize other fonts.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:53 am

Smunkeeville wrote:Hi CM, how are you today? I'm not doing so well. I hurt my foot last night and I'm in pain and I have a really low threshold for bullshit. So, I'm going to try to make this short and sweet.

You do NOT have a right to entertainment. Entertainment costs money. You have to pay for it. If you want something that's uncommon you have to pay more. Such is life.

Of course I don't have a right to entertainment. But is it right for a small group of people to force their SPECIFIC TASTES on everyone else in this country?

If your answer is yes, congratulations! You support an unelected oligarchy!

1. Eh, I wouldn't pay to see it.

2. I'm sure the internet has an answer to that, but I'm afraid to look it up. :blink:

Also probably against the site rules.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:54 am

Flameswroth wrote:More like Microsoft Word only starts by allowing you to use Times New Roman, but for 10 dollars a month you get a subscription allowing you to utilize other fonts.

Why are all the other fonts pay only then? Because Bill doesn't like the way they look when he's typing all the zeroes in his bank account?

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:54 am

Not at all. Well, perhaps in some cases, although I'm not sure I can imagine him saying that. Why is 'fuck' so bad? Why is nudity and violent content so horrible it must be outright banned in certain places? Because YOU, and you alone find them offensive? Why are your tastes so important as to support outright censorship for everyone who's watching these channels?

its not me and me alone now is it.
whatever

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:55 am

Ashmoria wrote:its not me and me alone now is it.

Argumentum ad populum is not valid.

Totally Kicking Ass
Secretary

Founded: Oct 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Kicking Ass » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:56 am

Hamilay wrote:Your poll doesn't make sense.

If only the FCC could put a stop to this offense against the use of the English language.

Smunkeeville
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Smunkeeville » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:58 am

Smunkeeville wrote:Hi CM, how are you today? I'm not doing so well. I hurt my foot last night and I'm in pain and I have a really low threshold for bullshit. So, I'm going to try to make this short and sweet.

Of course I don't have a right to entertainment. But is it right for a small group of people to force their SPECIFIC TASTES on everyone else in this country?

Nobody is forcing you to watch what they like. Case in point I've never seen LOST. You have access to the entertainment you want. Nothing is banned. You're just throwing a fit because you don't want to pay.

1. Eh, I wouldn't pay to see it.

2. I'm sure the internet has an answer to that, but I'm afraid to look it up. :blink:

Also probably against the site rules.

NSG is not in charge of what you google on your own time. You have a fucked up sense of boundaries if you think otherwise. The FCC is not making you watch censored versions of stuff. They are not stopping you from watching whatever filth you want. If you spent less time whining about Ashmoria and more time googling you could be getting entertained right now.
Last edited by Smunkeeville on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I like vacuuming, I find it cathartic. It's like I imagine all the people who tick me off being little pieces of lint and I'm sucking them up a tube into a vortex of terror, it's a healthy way to deal with my frustrations." - Smunkling, aged 8

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General