NATION

PASSWORD

God and the World, what do you think? [Does God Exist II]

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe in God?

Yes
39%
No
43%
Maybe
10%
I don't care
7%

Total votes : 865

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:42 pm

The Foxes Swamp wrote:
Godular wrote:
We've got a pretty good idea, and it has evidence to back it up.

Compared to religion, it might as well be 100%

so is the universe what we perceive as humans or could it possibly be more than what we perceive

We know that it is more then what we perceive. Factually.

That doesn't mean you get to insert whatever fairy tale most appeals to you.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

The Foxes Swamp
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 13, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Foxes Swamp » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:42 pm

Fralinia wrote:
The Foxes Swamp wrote:
as far as i know they don't exist here at the moment but the myth of the unicorn it exists so possibly their was some unicorn type creature at some time in the past.

But would you live your life operating on the assumption that [ninja] unicorns exist based on the mere possibility that they do?

never
“Your perspective is always limited by how much you know. Expand your knowledge and you will transform your mind.”
Bruce H. Lipton

The Foxes Swamp
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Foxes Swamp » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:46 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
The Foxes Swamp wrote:so is the universe what we perceive as humans or could it possibly be more than what we perceive

We know that it is more then what we perceive. Factually.

what fairy tale would that be?
“Your perspective is always limited by how much you know. Expand your knowledge and you will transform your mind.”
Bruce H. Lipton

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:54 pm

The Foxes Swamp wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:We know that it is more then what we perceive. Factually.

what fairy tale would that be?

Your whole "universe is alive, universe is eternal" mumbo jumbo.
Last edited by Sun Wukong on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Foxes Swamp
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Foxes Swamp » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:58 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
The Foxes Swamp wrote:what fairy tale would that be?

Your whole "universe is alive, universe is eternal" mumbo jumbo.

thats just an idea i presently have in my head...in all reality i know as much as you...nothing

what is your alternative?
Bruce H. Lipton

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:02 pm

The Foxes Swamp wrote:
Godular wrote:
We've got a pretty good idea, and it has evidence to back it up.

Compared to religion, it might as well be 100%

so is the universe what we perceive as humans or could it possibly be more than what we perceive

I read this and started thinking about Wlliam Shatner's rendition of 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds'

Reading later post made me do a mental music video mashup with 'The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins'
Last edited by Godular on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:08 pm

The Foxes Swamp wrote:what is your alternative?

It is a fallacy that someone must present an alternative hypothesis when discounting your hypothesis.

Your hypothesis needs to stand on its own.

The Foxes Swamp
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Foxes Swamp » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:14 pm

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:
The Foxes Swamp wrote:what is your alternative?

It is a fallacy that someone must present an alternative hypothesis when discounting your hypothesis.

what is the universe?
Bruce H. Lipton

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:15 pm

The Foxes Swamp wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:Your whole "universe is alive, universe is eternal" mumbo jumbo.

thats just an idea i presently have in my head...in all reality i know as much as you...nothing

I'm quite certain that the "nothing" I know is more voluminous then the "nothing" you know.

That the universe is 13.798±0.037 billion years old, and will die of heat death. As indicated by all the best evidence available.

Evidence, as opposed to, you know, "just an idea i have in my head."

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:16 pm

The Foxes Swamp wrote:

what is the universe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe

There you go.

The Foxes Swamp
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Foxes Swamp » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:17 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
The Foxes Swamp wrote:so is the universe what we perceive as humans or could it possibly be more than what we perceive

Define perceive.

is the universe what we think it is
Bruce H. Lipton

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:18 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
The Foxes Swamp wrote:what is the universe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe

There you go.

I have the distinct impression he is going to literally argue semantics.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:19 pm

The Foxes Swamp wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Define perceive.

is the universe what we think it is

By definition the universe is the totality of existence.

You are asking if the totality of existence is the totality of existence.

The Foxes Swamp
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Foxes Swamp » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:21 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
The Foxes Swamp wrote:thats just an idea i presently have in my head...in all reality i know as much as you...nothing

I'm quite certain that the "nothing" I know is more voluminous then the "nothing" you know.

That the universe is 13.798±0.037 billion years old, and will die of heat death. As indicated by all the best evidence available.

thats a theory isnt it?
Bruce H. Lipton

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:22 pm

The Foxes Swamp wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:I'm quite certain that the "nothing" I know is more voluminous then the "nothing" you know.

thats a theory isnt it?

Add scientific terminology to the list of subjects about which you know nothing.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:23 pm

The Foxes Swamp wrote:thats a theory isnt it?

Not a scientific theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory#Scientific_theories wrote:In science, the term "theory" refers to "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment."[14][15] Theories must also meet further requirements, such as the ability to make falsifiable predictions with consistent accuracy across a broad area of scientific inquiry, and production of strong evidence in favor of the theory from multiple independent sources.

The strength of a scientific theory is related to the diversity of phenomena it can explain, which is measured by its ability to make falsifiable predictions with respect to those phenomena. Theories are improved (or replaced by better theories) as more evidence is gathered, so that accuracy in prediction improves over time; this increased accuracy corresponds to an increase in scientific knowledge. Scientists use theories as a foundation to gain further scientific knowledge, as well as to accomplish goals such as inventing technology or curing disease.

The Foxes Swamp
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Foxes Swamp » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:25 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
The Foxes Swamp wrote:
thats a theory isnt it?

Add scientific terminology to the list of subjects about which you know nothing.

so not 50 billion years not 15 billion years its 13.798±0.037 billion years old and proof of this is where again?
Bruce H. Lipton

The Foxes Swamp
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Foxes Swamp » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:28 pm

The Foxes Swamp wrote:thats a theory isnt it?

Not a scientific theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory#Scientific_theories wrote:In science, the term "theory" refers to "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment."[14][15] Theories must also meet further requirements, such as the ability to make falsifiable predictions with consistent accuracy across a broad area of scientific inquiry, and production of strong evidence in favor of the theory from multiple independent sources.

The strength of a scientific theory is related to the diversity of phenomena it can explain, which is measured by its ability to make falsifiable predictions with respect to those phenomena. Theories are improved (or replaced by better theories) as more evidence is gathered, so that accuracy in prediction improves over time; this increased accuracy corresponds to an increase in scientific knowledge. Scientists use theories as a foundation to gain further scientific knowledge, as well as to accomplish goals such as inventing technology or curing disease.

theory is not proof if one experiment disproves it
Bruce H. Lipton

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:32 pm

The Foxes Swamp wrote:
Not a scientific theory.

Then disprove it.

Your proof must be independently verifiable and still take the facts and data previously recorded into account.

Good luck.

Also: The Hubble Constant
New to F7? Click here!

The Foxes Swamp
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Foxes Swamp » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:37 pm

Godular wrote:
The Foxes Swamp wrote:

Then disprove it.

Your proof must be independently verifiable and still take the facts and data previously recorded into account.

Good luck.

:rofl: its not that important to me, im just a humble poster trying to share my alternative views in a subject called what do i think about god and the world.
Bruce H. Lipton

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm

The Foxes Swamp wrote:
Godular wrote:
Then disprove it.

Good luck.

:rofl: its not that important to me, im just a humble poster trying to share my alternative views in a subject called what do i think about god and the world.

Debate forum. Be prepared to defend.
New to F7? Click here!

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:43 pm

The Foxes Swamp wrote:so not 50 billion years not 15 billion years its 13.798±0.037 billion years old and proof of this is where again?

http://biologos.org/questions/ages-of-the-earth-and-universe wrote:Astronomers use the distance to galaxies and the speed of light to calculate that the light has been traveling for billions of years. The expansion of the universe gives an age for the universe as a whole: 13.7 billion years old.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:46 pm

The Foxes Swamp wrote:
Godular wrote:
Then disprove it.

Good luck.

we don't accept whatever random shit pops into our head, we follow the scientific method because it reliably produces accurate results as opposed to guessing. there is literally an infinite number of possibilities, but they are not equally probable.

Theists need evidence because theists are the one making the claim, the are positing something, which by its very nature, is less likely (because it adds variables). Thus they must provide evidence for this claim or we default back to treating it as less likely, this is called the burden off proof.

this is the rule everything in science has had to pass, trying to do an end run around it is special pleading.

also one good experiment can disprove anything in science, which is why science keeps getting more accurate, we accept nothing as certain.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

The Foxes Swamp
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Foxes Swamp » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:47 pm

Godular wrote:
The Foxes Swamp wrote:

Debate forum. Be prepared to defend.

i must be in the wrong place i swear i was heading for general discussion
Bruce H. Lipton

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:48 pm

What the China said.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General