NATION

PASSWORD

US mom faces prison for blocking son’s circumcision

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who do you support in this?

The mother, in keeping 4yr old son from being circumcised.
9%
The father, in wanting his 4yr old son circumcised.
4%
The judge, in intending to enforce the circumcision of same child.
7%
The right of the child to decide for himself when old enough.
21%
Banning circumcision entirely.
5%
Allowing parents to choose for children.
10%
Allowing circumcision, but only for religious reasons.
10%
Allowing with consent of person being circumcised only.
34%

Total votes : 110

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:46 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Scomagia wrote:There's a medical reason here.

Not really. Kid is still too young for it to be a concern.

Yeah --- I just started reading up on it. Unless there's some severity aspect to it, that judge is kind of shit.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

DaAngou14
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby DaAngou14 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:46 pm

Scomagia wrote:There's a medical reason here.

No, there's a little trouble peeing here, and phimosis often corrects itself.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:46 pm

While I normally oppose circumcision in the absence of a valid cultural reason, he has a medical condition that necessitates it. The mother isn't blocking a cosmetic procedure; she's blocking a medically necessary procedure.
Edit: Yes, I know that this condition often corrects itself, but it's affecting the boy's health in the near term. That makes it a medical decision as opposed to a cultural decision. Circumcision isn't that bad- I would know. Parents get the right to make medical decisions for their children, and they'd already agreed to this.
Last edited by Diopolis on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:46 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
no they don't. the father is just as much a parent as the mother so their previous agreement on this matter should be the deciding factor.

I don't think the parents had any right to come to such an agreement in the first place.

of course they do. millions of parents make this decision every year. until circumcision is outlawed it is the parent's decision.
whatever

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:47 pm

Devvo Mate wrote:
Benuty wrote:That's debatable.

Where else? Israel it's probably very common, so that's two, maybe Canada? Really not the done thing in Europe though.

In Korea it is very common.
The Philippines
Most of Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevalence_of_circumcision
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:47 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
I don't think the parents had any right to come to such an agreement in the first place.

of course they do. millions of parents make this decision every year. until circumcision is outlawed it is the parent's decision.

Like the right to own slaves.
The fact that the rights of children to bodily autonomy and protection from assault are being ignored en masse isn't indicative of the right of the parents to do this.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:47 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:

Yeah --- I just started reading up on it. Unless there's some severity aspect to it, that judge is kind of shit.

We don't, as Nathi pointed out, know how severe it is. I'm being optimistic and leaning towards it being somewhat severe, otherwise I doubt this would be happening in the first place.
Insert trite farewell here

Hanchu
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanchu » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:47 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Hanchu wrote:If those legal agreements include preforming elective surgery on a minor , one parent has every right to ignore them

no they don't. the father is just as much a parent as the mother so their previous agreement on this matter should be the deciding factor.

I don't give a Damn who the parents are this is about the child having a part of his penis removed without his consent , if an aunt , uncle or third cousin twice removed, rescued the child I would praise them the Same as I do the mother

Devvo Mate
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Devvo Mate » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:48 pm

Ifreann wrote:The Middle East in general?

Wouldn't really count the Middle East as developed, not most of it anyway

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:48 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

The fact that the rights of children to bodily autonomy and protection from assault are being ignored en masse isn't indicative of the right of the parents to do this.

We allow children to get their ears pierced with parental consent.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:49 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

parents make ALL medical decisions for their minor children.
whatever

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:50 pm

greed and death wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

We allow children to get their ears pierced with parental consent.

I'd say that practice should also stop.
Though i'd also lower the age of consenting to proceedures like circumcision, tattooing etc. to 15.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Arkiasis
Senator

Founded: Aug 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkiasis » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:50 pm

Shilya wrote:Here's an important bit that you've left out.

A pediatrician had diagnosed the son as having phimosis, a condition that prevents retraction of the foreskin.

As such, there's a medical condition present. Given that, I support the decision of the court. Otherwise, I wouldn't.

For some people the foreskin doesn't retract until you're 8 or 9 or so. Hell, I couldn't until I was around 10.
The Republic of Arkiasis
NSwiki | IIwiki | Factbook | Map
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56
I like: You <3
I dislike: Fax machines
Move along, nothing to see here.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:51 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

I wouldn't consider mutilation a medical decision.
Ostro.MOV

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:52 pm

Ashmoria, would you say it should be legal for parents to Castrate their children?
It has medical benefits.
Ostro.MOV

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:52 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

You would be in direct contravention of the American Academy of Pediatricians and the Mayo Clinic, as well as a number of other medical professionals.
Including many who oppose widespread circumcision.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

DaAngou14
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby DaAngou14 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:52 pm

greed and death wrote:We allow children to get their ears pierced with parental consent.

I'm alright with that. If you regret it later it's your own fault. I'll leave anti-peer pressure for the future generations. I never bend, if other people do I'll just have to pity them.
Last edited by DaAngou14 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:52 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:Yeah --- I just started reading up on it. Unless there's some severity aspect to it, that judge is kind of shit.

We don't, as Nathi pointed out, know how severe it is. I'm being optimistic and leaning towards it being somewhat severe, otherwise I doubt this would be happening in the first place.

Also - she signed a document agreeing to it...

I don't like being able to see multiple sides to a story, damn it! What is my opinion supposed to be? Help me, Obama!
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

DaAngou14
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby DaAngou14 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:53 pm

Ashmoria wrote:parents make ALL medical decisions for their minor children.

Medical is a strong word for something that often corrects itself without interference and poses no danger to the child.

Devvo Mate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Devvo Mate » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:53 pm

greed and death wrote:In Korea it is very common.
The Philippines
Most of Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevalence_of_circumcision

The Philippines and most of Africa aren't developed.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:53 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

You would be in direct contravention of the American Academy of Pediatricians and the Mayo Clinic, as well as a number of other medical professionals.
Including many who oppose widespread circumcision.

In some circumstances it can be acceptable.
It's akin to deciding that open heart surgery on someone with no heart problems isn't a medical decision. It's pointlessly fucking with someone and endangering their livelihood, and would be medical malpractice.
There are risks to circumcision. I don't see much difference.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Devvo Mate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Devvo Mate » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:54 pm

Shilya wrote:Here's an important bit that you've left out.

A pediatrician had diagnosed the son as having phimosis, a condition that prevents retraction of the foreskin.

As such, there's a medical condition present. Given that, I support the decision of the court. Otherwise, I wouldn't.

The foreskin isn't supposed to be able to retract before the age of 5

Zakuvia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Zakuvia » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:55 pm

Don't really get where all this vehement aggravation is coming from when it comes to circumcision. It has some health benefits in general, doubly so because this kid has the potential for Phimosis. It's not a crippling ailment, but when you consider the medically neutral nature of circumcision already, it makes no sense not to allow or even enforce it.

I myself am circumcised (TMI, I know) and have never experienced any kind of discomfort or shame as a result of it. I also know I have a few things working in my favor as a result of it, medically.

Tonsillectomies are body torture! #Appendixlivesmatter ! Vestigial tails are God's will!
Balance is important in diets, gymnastics, and governments most of all.
NOW CELEBRATING 10 YEARS OF NS!
-1.12, -0.46

DaAngou14
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby DaAngou14 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:57 pm

Zakuvia wrote:It's not a crippling ailment, but when you consider the medically neutral nature of circumcision already, it makes no sense not to allow or even enforce it.

It makes sense from the point of conscience. Other standpoints are what are called sociopathic.

Zakuvia wrote:I myself am circumcised (TMI, I know) and have never experienced any kind of discomfort or shame as a result of it.

Good for you, I wasn't asking.
Last edited by DaAngou14 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Libacur
Envoy

Founded: Feb 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Libacur » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:59 pm

I would go with banning it since I find it disgusting, but it should be up to the person who is getting circumcised to decide.
SAOIRSE EIREANN
SAOR ALBA

Proud Scottish/Irish Republicans, Currently Living in Scotland

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General