NATION

PASSWORD

US mom faces prison for blocking son’s circumcision

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who do you support in this?

The mother, in keeping 4yr old son from being circumcised.
9%
The father, in wanting his 4yr old son circumcised.
4%
The judge, in intending to enforce the circumcision of same child.
7%
The right of the child to decide for himself when old enough.
21%
Banning circumcision entirely.
5%
Allowing parents to choose for children.
10%
Allowing circumcision, but only for religious reasons.
10%
Allowing with consent of person being circumcised only.
34%

Total votes : 110

Devvo Mate
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Devvo Mate » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:30 pm

The amount of people in this thread who are trying to justify the fact their parents had them mutilated is worrying.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:32 pm

Fremskrittspartiet wrote:I am also a bit confused as to why it is so big in USA as it is....

It is a Victorian era holdover from Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, inventor of Corn Flakes and a huge proponent of it. Circumcision became big in the US as a means of preventing masturbation. That obviously didn't work, but the procedure became routine and only declined in later decades as more parents and immigrant groups opt out of it.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Arcanda
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Arcanda » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:33 pm

DaAngou14 wrote:
Scomagia wrote:The benefits include a reduction in the risk of contracting HIV, HPV, and certain penile cancers.

Doesn't apply to me, I'm not promiscuous. Even with so-called benefits, it's no longer recommended by the medical establishment.

It is, the Mayo Clinic recommends it.You don't need to be promiscuous to get STDs, that's a prejudice.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:33 pm

This has only enforced my opposition to parental abductions.

The kidnapper will always find some plausible reason. They are still a criminal.

Go back home and let the original jurisdiction decide the issues.

Stop making the kid a pawn in your relationship games.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

DaAngou14
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby DaAngou14 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:34 pm

Devvo Mate wrote:The amount of people in this thread who are trying to justify the fact their parents had them mutilated is worrying.

It's called compartmentalization.

Arcanda
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Arcanda » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:35 pm

Devvo Mate wrote:The amount of people in this thread who are trying to justify the fact their parents had them mutilated is worrying.

We let some parents pierce the ears of their daughters when they're young, without their consent.Why would it be different for males? You just need to make sure the clinic is operating within the medical standards.Circumcision is the same for everyone as far as I'm aware.If man A is physically fine after it, men B to Z will be fine too.

Devvo Mate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Devvo Mate » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:37 pm

Arcanda wrote:We let some parents pierce the ears of their daughters when they're young, without their consent.Why would it be different for males? You just need to make sure the clinic is operating within the medical standards.Circumcision is the same for everyone as far as I'm aware.If man A is physically fine after it, men B to Z will be fine too.

Ear piercing and genital mutiliation are not comparable. Why don't we let people cut the earlobes off children? Don't need them to hear and makes it easier to wash behind your ears.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:37 pm

For some of us, circumcision is a religious and cultural thing. It is not genital mutilation.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Devvo Mate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Devvo Mate » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:38 pm

Thermodolia wrote:For some of us, circumcision is a religious and cultural thing. It is not genital mutilation.

Female genital mutiliation is commonplace in some cultures. It is still mutilation.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:38 pm

Pope Joan wrote:This has only enforced my opposition to parental abductions.

The kidnapper will always find some plausible reason. They are still a criminal.

Go back home and let the original jurisdiction decide the issues.

Stop making the kid a pawn in your relationship games.

^ this
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

DaAngou14
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby DaAngou14 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:38 pm

Arcanda wrote:You don't need to be promiscuous to get STDs, that's a prejudice.

My choice.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:39 pm

Arcanda wrote:
DaAngou14 wrote:Doesn't apply to me, I'm not promiscuous. Even with so-called benefits, it's no longer recommended by the medical establishment.

It is, the Mayo Clinic recommends it.

The NHS says alternatives are usually preferred and only funds it for a ''small number of medical conditions''.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Circumcisi ... ction.aspx

DaAngou14
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby DaAngou14 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:39 pm

Thermodolia wrote:For some of us, circumcision is a religious and cultural thing.

Not an excuse.
Last edited by DaAngou14 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valkalan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Valkalan » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:40 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:Or an opposing pediatrician for the mother who disputes that diagnosis?
Or do you base it off of an ass-pull that just happens to conform to your desired precepts?
Because that last one is looking like the answer at the moment.

Phimosis is simply the lingering of the foreskin over the glans. This condition often does not require medical intervention, let alone circumcision. In fact, circumcision is often reserved as a last resort for only the most difficult cases. The condition usually fades upon the onset of puberty.
वज्रमात अस्ता रिजथम

The Directorate of Valkalan is a federation of autonomous city-states which operate a joint military and share uniform commercial and civil law and a common foreign policy, and which is characterized by wealth, intrigue, and advanced technology.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:41 pm

Devvo Mate wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:For some of us, circumcision is a religious and cultural thing. It is not genital mutilation.

Female genital mutiliation is commonplace in some cultures. It is still mutilation.

:palm: Yes it is, but after someone undergoes female genital mutilation they are unable to ever use there genitals ever again. Not so with circumcision. I am still able to use my dick.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:42 pm

Arcanda wrote:Circumcision is the same for everyone as far as I'm aware.If man A is physically fine after it, men B to Z will be fine too.

That isn't really true, different people will generally have different outcomes for various procedures. They may have a good result, or it might be disastrous if something goes wrong. You won't really know until afterwards.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Devvo Mate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Devvo Mate » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:42 pm

Thermodolia wrote: :palm: Yes it is, but after someone undergoes female genital mutilation they are unable to ever use there genitals ever again. Not so with circumcision. I am still able to use my dick.

You've still been mutilated under the pretence of a daft cultural or religious tradition

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:42 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Oh don't get me wrong, I'm against circumcision as an elective procedure. I am no longer convinced the benefits outweigh the risks.

But you don't tell a small child his daddy wants to cut off his penis.

The risks are negligible. The benefits include a reduction in the risk of contracting HIV, HPV, and certain penile cancers.

Of course, a condom works just as well at everything except penile cancer.

And penile cancer is nearly as rare as a unicorn anyway.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:44 pm

DaAngou14 wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:For some of us, circumcision is a religious and cultural thing.

Not an excuse.

Yes it is. Are you saying we should ban certain religious practices because they don't fall in line with your scientific beliefs? Because that is what my circumcision was. A RELIGIOUS practice.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Devvo Mate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Devvo Mate » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:45 pm

Thermodolia wrote:Yes it is. Are you saying we should ban certain religious practices because they don't fall in line with your scientific beliefs? Because that is what my circumcision was. A RELIGIOUS practice.

If a religion says you should have your nose cut off, is that OK? Are you a bigot if you want that banned?

Hanchu
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanchu » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:45 pm

Arcanda wrote:

We let some parents pierce the ears of their daughters when they're young, without their consent.Why would it be different for males? You just need to make sure the clinic is operating within the medical standards.Circumcision is the same for everyone as far as I'm aware.If man A is physically fine after it, men B to Z will be fine too.

Man A is one person, if hes fine after it all you know is that's hes fine after it , it's only after you try it out on several thousand men that you can tell whether or not person A was just lucky

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:45 pm

Devvo Mate wrote:
Thermodolia wrote: :palm: Yes it is, but after someone undergoes female genital mutilation they are unable to ever use there genitals ever again. Not so with circumcision. I am still able to use my dick.

You've still been mutilated under the pretence of a daft cultural or religious tradition

No I haven't. And you are being very racist and prejudiced.
Last edited by Thermodolia on Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:46 pm

Devvo Mate wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Yes it is. Are you saying we should ban certain religious practices because they don't fall in line with your scientific beliefs? Because that is what my circumcision was. A RELIGIOUS practice.

If a religion says you should have your nose cut off, is that OK? Are you a bigot if you want that banned?

Yes. Because its entirely up to you to join that religion.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

DaAngou14
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby DaAngou14 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:47 pm

No, I am saying that we should ban certain practices because they are assault. Your religion is pathologically influenced. Do a bit more soul-searching.

Hanchu
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanchu » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:47 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Devvo Mate wrote:

Yes. Because its entirely up to you to join that religion.

Unless you were raised with it ,in which case it isn't your choice

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General