NATION

PASSWORD

57% Of Republicans Want Christianity As National Religion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The 93rd Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The 93rd Coalition » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:23 pm

Vazdaria wrote:
The 93rd Coalition wrote:
Which denomination (or non-denominational)?

OT: Republicans can be nice, sensible people. This is not one of those times.

I suppose Catholicism, seeing as its the largest denomination of Christianity in the US, that I am aware of.

The largest in the world too, I think.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:24 pm

Vazdaria wrote:I suppose Catholicism, seeing as its the largest denomination of Christianity in the US, that I am aware of.

except that it's the one that the most other denominations are most opposed to?

The 93rd Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The 93rd Coalition » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:
Vazdaria wrote:I suppose Catholicism, seeing as its the largest denomination of Christianity in the US, that I am aware of.

except that it's the one that the most other denominations are most opposed to?

Technically every other denomination of a religion is opposed against the others.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:39 pm

The 93rd Coalition wrote:
Technically every other denomination of a religion is opposed against the others.

But protestant denominations are generally more opposed to Catholicism than they are to other protestant denominations.

Catholic Federalized States
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Catholic Federalized States » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:04 pm

Last time, it was the Mormons who fought a war vs. Methodists, not vs. Catholics.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:02 pm

Why the hell would anyone want to turn the US into Iran?

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:23 pm

Genivaria wrote:Why the hell would anyone want to turn the US into Iran?

My guess is they hate the US or they slept through Colonial and US history covering the 16th to 18th centuries (or were never really taught it to begin with).
Such heroic nonsense!

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:52 pm

Tekania wrote:

My guess is they hate the US or they slept through Colonial and US history covering the 16th to 18th centuries (or were never really taught it to begin with).

Republican voters do seem tragically ignorant of history.
The number of times I've heard the pilgrims mentioned as if they were the founders or something.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:46 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Tekania wrote:

Republican voters do seem tragically ignorant of history.
The number of times I've heard the pilgrims mentioned as if they were the founders or something.

Indeed, they pander out the theonomic pilgrims as a bastion of American ideal when reality the opposite is true..... they were merely the transplant of European religious barbarism to colonial shores; and if anything they led to the later abandonment of state religion by the colonies. A better example of American Ideal was the establishment of Providence Plantation (now known as Rhode Island) founded by baptists fleeing persecution BY THE BAY COLONY PILGRIMS, and one of the first colonies with enshrines religious liberties in its charter. Unforetuneately as long as they look to hacks like David Barton for their misinformation they are going to remain in the dark, not only to the history of the US, but to the history of their own churches as well.
Such heroic nonsense!

Vedastia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vedastia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:40 pm

State-sponsored religion =/= theocracy

That being said, it'd still be incredibly stupid for the US to declare one religion the "national religion."
Jan van der Stel, MP for Ouderkerk in the NS Parliament
Leader of the National Freedom Party - Freedom for Our People
Dinake wrote:
Zoice wrote:The far right is truly to blame. The left may lose ground to them, but they wouldn't be losing ground if there wasn't the far right in the first place calling for batshit insanity.
That's like saying "blockbuster wouldn't be losing ground to netflix if there wasn't any netflix".
Major-Tom wrote:
Risottia wrote:Reality has a left-wing bias.
God, if I had a nickel for every time I heard some smug internet warrior say this...

Free Sahara
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Sahara » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
How so? It's kind of a shared culture that all branches of Christianity think every other branch is wrong.

Not so much what I was getting at. It's the displeasure with it only being a wrong branch of Christianity that bugs me.

I didn't know how else to phrase it. But it bugs me (I'm a member of the Lutheran Church, by the way) how in Lutheranism the state can take control over the religion, the funding isn't voluntary, the values have became more permissive and the Church doesn't seem to be against things like alcohol, adultery, respecting the church buildings by not letting groups with non-Christian or anti-Christian messages to perform in the churches (such as those in some Orthodox church, where Pussy Riot made a questionable performance). There are things with other religions that bug me, as well. For example, the worship of images in the Orthodox and Catholic Church. I also prefer a simplistic Church with simplistic qualities.

But I agree, there shouldn't be a national religion. It would only divide Americans. The state can't decide, which religion and which details of that religion are the exact and true ones. It doesn't make sense.
Other nation is Magna Libero

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General