NATION

PASSWORD

Are All Men Created Equal?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:27 am

The notion that all men are created equal is the notion that all men were born with equal standing before the law independent of their social class and etc.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:29 am

No they are not, and it is the same for women as well.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Insaeldor » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 am

We are all born equal in a moral and legal sense as well as before the authority of the government as per what the constitution is intended to mean. As for equal in actually of equal value and footing? No some people born better off then others sadly.
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Nuwe Suid Afrika
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuwe Suid Afrika » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:44 am

United Marxist Nations wrote:1) How do you know that a student from Group B won't do better?

The student from Group A is likely to do better than the student from Group B in most situations. Although the student in Group B can prevail, if we were looking at the group statistics, Group A would have the best education overall.

2) You haven't even defined what this group is, so you can't say the difference is simply genetic.

Does it matter what the group is? I'm simply suggesting two different groups and one is genetically better than the other, and that is why they are not equal.

Economic Left/Right: -8.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 6.56

This nation supports my real life views.
Pro:
Stalinism, Authoritarianism, National Bolshevism, Palestine,

Anti:
Liberalism, Marxism, Anarchism, Israel, Zionism, LGBTBBQABC Rights
If you still believe the holocaust actually happened, you need to see this.

-Ebola-
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ebola- » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:19 pm

The Conez Imperium wrote:
-Ebola- wrote:All men are created equal in the sense that they are entitled to equal rights, but they are not equal in the sense of their abilities or usefulness. Some people have a genetic disorder that prevents me from infecting them. :(

Its not a disorder, its a gift.

It is a disorder. It has damaging effects, quite aside from inconveniencing me.
There are viruses on the internet! Make sure your computer is protected.
African, asexual, and proud.
Racism is foolish. You're all the same inside. I would know.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:28 pm

Nuwe Suid Afrika wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:1) How do you know that a student from Group B won't do better?

The student from Group A is likely to do better than the student from Group B in most situations. Although the student in Group B can prevail, if we were looking at the group statistics, Group A would have the best education overall.

2) You haven't even defined what this group is, so you can't say the difference is simply genetic.

Does it matter what the group is? I'm simply suggesting two different groups and one is genetically better than the other, and that is why they are not equal.

That's because you're creating group A based on who has the most education.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:52 pm

Equally valuable, equally important. Equally fucked up.
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

Nuwe Suid Afrika
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuwe Suid Afrika » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:05 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:That's because you're creating group A based on who has the most education.

I'm creating Group A based on genetic advantage. You would have known this if you had read the post.

Pro:

Anti:

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:07 pm

All posters arguing that all men are created equal ***Banned*** for all X are Y.
Margno, Thunder God, Wielder of the Mighty Hammer Bjanmir, Nationstates Moderator.
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

Cataracta Unkown
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cataracta Unkown » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:07 pm

"I had a dream (forget the rest) that all men are created equal." - Martin Luther King

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:03 pm

Nuwe Suid Afrika wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:That's because you're creating group A based on who has the most education.

I'm creating Group A based on genetic advantage. You would have known this if you had read the post.

Based on ASSUMED genetic advantage, it is a fictional group, nothing is proven about it; it is a non-existent observation.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:07 pm

Insaeldor wrote:We are all born equal in a moral and legal sense as well as before the authority of the government as per what the constitution is intended to mean. As for equal in actually of equal value and footing? No some people born better off then others sadly.

It's normal. But we still are egual and all have access to the same rights and advantages such as education,etc...
Citoyen Français. Bonapartiste Républicain (aka De Gaule's Gaullisme) with Keynesian leanings on economics. Latin Christian.

Elesar
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elesar » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:08 pm

I don't believe in God, but I do believe that there IS a natural order to things. The strong rule the weak, etc. Based on what I believe, a monarchy makes perfect sense. The concept of human rights wasn't around until people got soft. I may be getting off topic here, but this quote from Mussolini sums up my beliefs on democracy. "Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy." The very concept of a government ruled by the common people breeds corruption, sloth, and greed in them. Not all men are equal. There has been and always will be a ruling class. Certain people will always be treated better than others.
Pro: Monarchy, non-American Conservatism, Right-wing populism
Cons: LGBT rights, modern Feminism
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
#IStandWithAtlas

Right wing, Texan/Canadian and proud of it!
My political compass - Eye opening.

Alcase
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alcase » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:10 pm

All men and women are created equal.

All men and women are born with inherent human rights that are deserved but solemnly granted.
Overview of Alcase
Alcasian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Alcasian Armed Forces

Track & XC 400m, 800m, 1600m, 5000m
2014 FHSAA XC Finals - 9th Place
2014 FHSAA XC Region 3A1 Runner-Ups
2014 BCAA Championship Runner-Ups
2014 Spanish River Invitational Boy's Champions Runner-Up
2013 FHSAA XC Finals - 12th Place
2013 Cardinal Gibbons Invitational Boy's Champions
2013 3A State Championship Boy's 4 x 800m - 3rd Place
2013 District 3A-15 Boy's Champions

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:11 pm

Equal in what sense?
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Nuwe Suid Afrika
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuwe Suid Afrika » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:27 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Nuwe Suid Afrika wrote:

Based on ASSUMED genetic advantage, it is a fictional group, nothing is proven about it; it is a non-existent observation.

How to twist an argument using Wordplay - a novel by United Marxist Nations

Pro:

Anti:

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:31 pm

Of course not.

Do we have equal rights? Sure, But to say someone with an IQ of 125 is equal to someone with an IQ or 60 is a falsehood.
http://www.broomdces.com/nseconomy/nations.php?nation=Imperial+City-States
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion, but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
"Stand in the ashes of a million dead souls and ask the ghost if honor matters."
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
"No advance in wealth, no softening of manners, no reform or revolution has ever brought human equality a millimeter nearer."
George Orwell

Unapologetically American
U.S Army

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:05 pm

L Ron Cupboard wrote:It seems to me a misinterpretation to think it means everyone is born equal, I interpret it as meaning everybody is declared to be equal under the law.

Oh sure be reasonable and logical. Get your own Damm lepoard.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Lingang
Minister

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lingang » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:07 pm

Shilya wrote:We were born equal, not idendical.
Favorite Quotes:
"Check yourself before you Shrek yourself" ~ Independent State AF
"And He shall smite the wicked, and plunge them into the fiery pitt!" ~ Judge Claude Frollo (*then proceeds to fall in himself*)

Proud Native and former WA Delegate of South Pacific

Furry Alairia and Algeria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:12 pm

Legally, yes.
Physically, no.
In memory of Dyakovo - may he never be forgotten - Дьяковожс ученик

I do not reply to telegrams, unless you are someone I know.

Pan-America under the United States
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pan-America under the United States » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:14 pm

Yes, everyone is equal. IQ, height, weight, intellect, it doesn't matter. Like someone already said, we're born equal, not identical.

I don't have a high IQ (107), I'm 5'9, 150 Pounds, I won't comment on my intellect because that's rather subjective, but I'll be damned if someone says I'm below them for any of those reasons. Class wise? No. Legally? Yes. Mortally? Yes.

Some people are more compassionate than others, some are more logical, some are physically stronger and some are physically weaker, everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Anyone who says they're above you is misguided.
Last edited by Pan-America under the United States on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Brain City
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 09, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Big Brain City » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Before the state, all are equally valued from creation. No human is purely identical to any other.
THE STATE OF BIG BRAIN CITY
EXITUS ACTA PROBAT

The Big Brain wrote:Freedom? People are fools and unworthy of much freedom. Even I am a fool. Many people have recognized that and want me to suffer for it.
Unfortunately for them, I can glass their planets.

Big Brain City
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 09, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Big Brain City » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:18 pm

Margno wrote:All posters arguing that all men are created equal ***Banned*** for all X are Y.
Margno, Thunder God, Wielder of the Mighty Hammer Bjanmir, Nationstates Moderator.

:rofl:
THE STATE OF BIG BRAIN CITY
EXITUS ACTA PROBAT

The Big Brain wrote:Freedom? People are fools and unworthy of much freedom. Even I am a fool. Many people have recognized that and want me to suffer for it.
Unfortunately for them, I can glass their planets.

Pan-America under the United States
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pan-America under the United States » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:19 pm

Margno wrote:All posters arguing that all men are created equal ***Banned*** for all X are Y.

BTFO.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:31 pm

-Ebola- wrote:All men are created equal in the sense that they are entitled to equal rights, but they are not equal in the sense of their abilities or usefulness. Some people have a genetic disorder that prevents me from infecting them. :(

Its not a disorder, its a gift.

No it is a product of the genetic lottery.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General