NATION

PASSWORD

Cinema Regulation

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:00 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Therefore you're the only one bitching about it.

I'm proposing a solution.

There is a substantial difference.

The problem is, your solution is overkill.
It's like sentencing someone to capital punishment for stealing a paper clip. Completely disproportionate to the offense.
Last edited by Idzequitch on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:01 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

To a problem that doesn't exist and most people don't care about.

The problem exists and plenty of people are concerned.

I speak with real life experiences.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:01 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:The answer to this "problem" is super simple.
If someone is being legitimately disruptive, and ruining your experience, ask the theater staff to remove the disruptive person. That's it. No government involvement, no absurd penalties.

The problem with that under the current laws, is that theater staff have very little power to do so without potentially opening themselves up to liability. For example, the person they remove could sue them for breach of contract (he also paid for the movie ticket and for the length of the entire movie) or for battery (touching him without consent in trying to remove him).

Without changing the law, this isn't a practical thing to rely on.

No contract has been breached because no contract has been signed.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:02 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:To a problem that doesn't exist and most people don't care about.

I bet you if you put up a poll. You would see that Not to many people would be too concerned.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:02 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
The problem with that under the current laws, is that theater staff have very little power to do so without potentially opening themselves up to liability. For example, the person they remove could sue them for breach of contract (he also paid for the movie ticket and for the length of the entire movie) or for battery (touching him without consent in trying to remove him).

Without changing the law, this isn't a practical thing to rely on.

No contract has been breached because no contract has been signed.

Contracts happen all the time without a signed document. A signature on a document isn't the contract itself (and neither is the document), the contract is the agreement. A signed document might be proof of such an agreement but it is the agreement that is the contract.

Paying money in exchange for a seat at the theater and for the full viewing experience is a form of contract, its a contract for service.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:03 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:To a problem that doesn't exist and most people don't care about.

And so do I. I speak from real life experience in that no one gives a shit!
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:05 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:No contract has been breached because no contract has been signed.

Contracts happen all the time without a signed document. A signature on a document isn't the contract itself (and neither is the document), the contract is the agreement. A signed document might be proof of such an agreement but it is the agreement that is the contract.

Paying money in exchange for a seat at the theater and for the full viewing experience is a form of contract, its a contract for service.

Still most courts, at least in the US, would throw the whole case out if you claimed breach of contract for a movie ticket. They would also side with the movie theaters for throwing out the obnoxious person.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:05 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

The problem is, your solution is overkill.
It's like sentencing someone to capital punishment for stealing a paper clip. Completely disproportionate to the offense.

I don't see the criminal provisions being used too often.

There are plenty of laws on the books with imprisonment as the MAX PENALTY that never get there.

For instance, I'm sure you've seen plenty of signs that say smoking here and there could get you jailed for a few months or a fine up X amount. Most of the time, IF those go to court, the imprisonment aspect won't be applied. And in most cases where there are similar provisions and there is a criminal and a regulatory counterpart, its the regulatory counterpart that's almost always used.

The idea is to have big scary rules on the books, but to only have recourse to them as necessary to achieve effective deterrence.

The mere POSSIBILITY of a fine is enough to deter most people from doing the thing. We don't need to fine a lot of people or even imprison anyone for this plan to take effect.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:07 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Still most courts, at least in the US, would throw the whole case out if you claimed breach of contract for a movie ticket. They would also side with the movie theaters for throwing out the obnoxious person.

They may award nominal damages, but they are obligated to hear it.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:08 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Still most courts, at least in the US, would throw the whole case out if you claimed breach of contract for a movie ticket. They would also side with the movie theaters for throwing out the obnoxious person.

They may award nominal damages, but they are obligated to hear it.

Actually they won't award any damages. And they're not obligated to hear case. Disclaimer I am talking about most US courts.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:08 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:The problem is, your solution is overkill.

There are plenty of laws on the books with imprisonment as the MAX PENALTY that never get there.

For instance, I'm sure you've seen plenty of signs that say smoking here and there could get you jailed for a few months or a fine up X amount. Most of the time, IF those go to court, the imprisonment aspect won't be applied. And in most cases where there are similar provisions and there is a criminal and a regulatory counterpart, its the regulatory counterpart that's almost always used.

The idea is to have big scary rules on the books, but to only have recourse to them as necessary to achieve effective deterrence.

The mere POSSIBILITY of a fine is enough to deter most people from doing the thing. We don't need to fine a lot of people or even imprison anyone for this plan to take effect.

The problem is, the government getting involved at all is still overkill. A $50 fine is still overkill. Would it be nice if people would be more respectful of others at the theater? Of course. Is there any reason for the government to get involved in any way? Absolutely not.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:09 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:The problem is, your solution is overkill.

Because the penalty is going to jail for smoking marijuana, definitely stops everyone from smoking marijuana.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:09 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

The problem is, the government getting involved at all is still overkill. A $50 fine is still overkill. Would it be nice if people would be more respectful of others at the theater? Of course. Is there any reason for the government to get involved in any way? Absolutely not.

If you do not plan on bringing screaming children into the theater or to take up loud phone calls in the theater... you should have nothing to worry about.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:10 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Because the penalty is going to jail for smoking marijuana, definitely stops everyone from smoking marijuana.

Its much harder to get away with a crime that HAS to be performed in public. You can't disrupt the theater without being in the public eye.

And this is not a victimless offense.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:13 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:The problem is, the government getting involved at all is still overkill. A $50 fine is still overkill. Would it be nice if people would be more respectful of others at the theater? Of course. Is there any reason for the government to get involved in any way? Absolutely not.

If you do not plan on bringing screaming children into the theater or to take up loud phone calls in the theater... you should have nothing to worry about.

Most people don't bring screaming children or take out loud cell phone calls in movie theaters. Your problem would be easily solved and currently movie theaters do this by having the theaters tell everyone in the theater to be courteous of others watching the movie and turn off their cell phones.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:14 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Most people don't bring screaming children or take out loud cell phone calls in movie theaters. Your problem would be easily solved and currently movie theaters do this by having the theaters tell everyone in the theater to be courteous of others watching the movie and turn off their cell phones.

They already do so.

The problem hasn't gone away.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:15 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:I firmly believe that the movies are a sacred art. They truly are a highest form of art. Without movies, our lives would be crushing, empty, and cold.

With that said, when I pay to watch a movie in a theatre, I'm not just paying for the benefit to be there... I'm paying for the complete experience. To truly appreciate the big screen, you have to fully give yourself over to the movie... remove yourself from all distractions and to try and really feel and connect with what you're seeing and hearing.

Yet out of the seven out of ten times I've gone to the movies in the past few months, I've always been unpleasantly disturbed at some point: bawling children, cell phone business calls, chit-chat next to me, people walking into the theatre late and then talking...

When you walk into a church, a cemetery, or a library... there is a firm expectation of silence, solemnity, and respect. It is a code of honour to respect the sacred values that these institutions represent. The film theatre, is one such institution, yet for some reason it doesn't often command the same deference or the same respect.

People are truly inconsiderate when they text away, talk loudly, or bring screaming children into these hallowed grounds. Those who truly appreciate the movies have paid good money to experience a part of their soul and a vision of true artistry. It is unfair that others should get to carelessly, thoughtlessly, and negligently (or worse, intentionally) disrupt this experience.

There needs to be consequences to deter such behaviour.

I believe it is time for the government and the theatres to work together to protect the rights of movie-goers.

So NSG, what should we do about this problem?

_____

Since there is apparently no common law duty of care towards fellow movie-goers (I couldn't find a Canadian case even in nuisance where a private action succeeded related to modern movie theatres), we should create a statutory duty of care. From this moment on... ALL movie-goers owe each other a statutory duty of care to NOT disrupt the film-going experience. If anyone breaches this, the statute should allow a private right of action with high punitive damage awards.

However, it can be expensive or time-consuming for individual plaintiffs to bring forward these types of cases, so clearly... we can't leave it all to civil liability and private suits.

We need broad enforcement powers.

Movie theatres are after all, mostly privately owned and a very non-intrusive way for the government to deal with this is to encourage and incentivize private actors to enforce this policy. I suggest tax credits, retirement benefits, and other benefits packages to cinemas that take extra action to lay down and enforce internal regulations (within reason) to protect movie-goers from getting interfered with. I expect this will have all the threatres throughout the country implementing changes on their own volition in a race to get these benefits and protect the sacred art.

Finally, there should be state-imposed consequences. In the event that a private cinema has lax enforcement mechanisms and no one is willing to launch a private right of action... there will be a regime of regulatory and criminal penalties. The Criminal Code should be amended to include a new offence: Disturbance of the Sacred Peace (the penalty I suggest, should be up to 100,000 Canadian Dollars and 14 months of imprisonment). However, the elements in a Criminal Code provision can be hard to enforce because they often require proof of intention, which is why there should be a counterpart in the non-criminal regulations imposing regulatory fines (I would suggest, up to several thousand Canadian dollars). With this in place, a concerned citizen doesn't have to burden himself with a lawsuit or rely on the goodwill of the guardians of the cinema to enforce his rights, he can simply exit the cinema and call the relevant authorities.

I believe this will solve the problem. Its a very carefully designed three pronged attempt to solve the problem. To reiterate: 1) a statutory duty of care in the cinemas to be enforced by private lawsuits 2) a benefit package to encourage self-policing in the cinemas 3) Criminal and regulatory penalties against offenders.
____

So this is my suggestion.

However, I understand there are different points of view and different solutions that others could suggest.

What do you think?

Have you ever been interrupted while in a theatre? Do you think this is a serious problem? What do you suggest we do about it?

What should be done about this problem NSG?

Seriously, that is one of the stupidest things I've EVER read online. If someone is making THAT much of a disturbance during the movie, it's up to management to have them removed. Also, if it bothers you THAT much, you could always ask for a refund, or find another theater to go to.
Last edited by Gun Manufacturers on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:16 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I firmly believe that the movies are a sacred art. They truly are a highest form of art. Without movies, our lives would be crushing, empty, and cold.

With that said, when I pay to watch a movie in a theatre, I'm not just paying for the benefit to be there... I'm paying for the complete experience. To truly appreciate the big screen, you have to fully give yourself over to the movie... remove yourself from all distractions and to try and really feel and connect with what you're seeing and hearing.

Yet out of the seven out of ten times I've gone to the movies in the past few months, I've always been unpleasantly disturbed at some point: bawling children, cell phone business calls, chit-chat next to me, people walking into the theatre late and then talking...

When you walk into a church, a cemetery, or a library... there is a firm expectation of silence, solemnity, and respect. It is a code of honour to respect the sacred values that these institutions represent. The film theatre, is one such institution, yet for some reason it doesn't often command the same deference or the same respect.

People are truly inconsiderate when they text away, talk loudly, or bring screaming children into these hallowed grounds. Those who truly appreciate the movies have paid good money to experience a part of their soul and a vision of true artistry. It is unfair that others should get to carelessly, thoughtlessly, and negligently (or worse, intentionally) disrupt this experience.

There needs to be consequences to deter such behaviour.

I believe it is time for the government and the theatres to work together to protect the rights of movie-goers.

So NSG, what should we do about this problem?

_____

Since there is apparently no common law duty of care towards fellow movie-goers (I couldn't find a Canadian case even in nuisance where a private action succeeded related to modern movie theatres), we should create a statutory duty of care. From this moment on... ALL movie-goers owe each other a statutory duty of care to NOT disrupt the film-going experience. If anyone breaches this, the statute should allow a private right of action with high punitive damage awards.

However, it can be expensive or time-consuming for individual plaintiffs to bring forward these types of cases, so clearly... we can't leave it all to civil liability and private suits.

We need broad enforcement powers.

Movie theatres are after all, mostly privately owned and a very non-intrusive way for the government to deal with this is to encourage and incentivize private actors to enforce this policy. I suggest tax credits, retirement benefits, and other benefits packages to cinemas that take extra action to lay down and enforce internal regulations (within reason) to protect movie-goers from getting interfered with. I expect this will have all the threatres throughout the country implementing changes on their own volition in a race to get these benefits and protect the sacred art.

Finally, there should be state-imposed consequences. In the event that a private cinema has lax enforcement mechanisms and no one is willing to launch a private right of action... there will be a regime of regulatory and criminal penalties. The Criminal Code should be amended to include a new offence: Disturbance of the Sacred Peace (the penalty I suggest, should be up to 100,000 Canadian Dollars and 14 months of imprisonment). However, the elements in a Criminal Code provision can be hard to enforce because they often require proof of intention, which is why there should be a counterpart in the non-criminal regulations imposing regulatory fines (I would suggest, up to several thousand Canadian dollars). With this in place, a concerned citizen doesn't have to burden himself with a lawsuit or rely on the goodwill of the guardians of the cinema to enforce his rights, he can simply exit the cinema and call the relevant authorities.

I believe this will solve the problem. Its a very carefully designed three pronged attempt to solve the problem. To reiterate: 1) a statutory duty of care in the cinemas to be enforced by private lawsuits 2) a benefit package to encourage self-policing in the cinemas 3) Criminal and regulatory penalties against offenders.
____

So this is my suggestion.

However, I understand there are different points of view and different solutions that others could suggest.

What do you think?

Have you ever been interrupted while in a theatre? Do you think this is a serious problem? What do you suggest we do about it?

What should be done about this problem NSG?

Seriously, that is one of the stupidest things I've EVER read online.

I take it you don't often go to the movies?

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:18 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Most people don't bring screaming children or take out loud cell phone calls in movie theaters. Your problem would be easily solved and currently movie theaters do this by having the theaters tell everyone in the theater to be courteous of others watching the movie and turn off their cell phones.

They already do so.

The problem hasn't gone away.

Too bad. Get a fucking blog.
Insert trite farewell here

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:21 pm

You are not dreaming. This thread is real. You are in NationStates General now. Now let us intensely discuss how to cleanse cinemas worldwide from the many scourges that plague them
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:22 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:

Just because someone has a different opinion than you on noises in the movie theater, does not mean they do not go to the movies often. I go to the movies often and I don't see a problem with people making noises. All actuality I've only been to one movie theater where people were extremely noisy and I haven't been to that movie theater in 10+ years.
Last edited by Thermodolia on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:22 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:

I go to the movies dozens of times a year (depending on the weather, what movie is playing, finances, and free time). There have been a few times I've been really bothered in the theater (person talking, texting, etc), and each time, I've talked to the manager, and they have resolved it (once, they asked that person to leave, as that person was recording parts of the movie on their phone).
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Aquesta
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aquesta » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:24 pm

Going to the cinema is a social event for most people that is why there is noise because they are talking to each other as people tend to do during social events. If you want complete silence when watching a film rent it.
Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.26
Catholic, Fascist, Irish male.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:26 pm

Hurdegaryp wrote:You are not dreaming. This thread is real. You are in NationStates General now. Now let us intensely discuss how to cleanse cinemas worldwide from the many scourges that plague them

Death to the noisy! :p

Anything in italics is sarcasm.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:27 pm

Aquesta wrote:Going to the cinema is a social event for most people that is why there is noise because they are talking to each other as people tend to do during social events. If you want complete silence when watching a film rent it.

What a novel idea!
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General