NATION

PASSWORD

Cinema Regulation

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:31 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
-Ebola- wrote:
You need to get some perspective, my fungal friend. I have to worry about my people being corralled in quarantine zones, prevented from reproducing, and killed en masse -- but you think you have problems because someone talked in a movie theatre?

If it causes me inconvenience, then it has crossed the problem threshold. Hence, it is a problem.

I find that your argument is causing some inconvenience for others, yet I'm not clambering to have your argument turned into a federal offence.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:34 pm

The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:A $100,000 CD fine and 14 months in jail for "disrupting" others watching a movie? Really? :eyebrow:

Oh, the lad is dead serious. He is Infected Mushroom, after all.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:34 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
If it causes you an inconvenience, turn around and tell them to shut the fuck up. If they don't, find a cinema employee. Your inconveniences aren't reason enough to create a superfluous fine or the silly regulations you propose. Get real. It's not about you and it'll never be about you.

The fines are not superfluous. They will be substantial and enforced (definitely the regulatory provisions).

The regulations aren't silly, like I said... there will be three mechanisms of enforcement (though there is heavy reliance on the regulatory and private right of action dimensions). I think it was carefully thought out.

That you think there's a problem because, god forbid, someone talks when you're in the theater, doesn't mean there is a real problem. Like here, there isn't a problem. It's just you, yet again, whining about something inconsequential.

Bitch about poverty, or hunger or inequality, or gender issues. Bitch about war. Those are worthy topics to complain about. But people talking at the movie theater? FFS.

Do us a favor, really, and get a blog. I can even point you to some free blog sites, very good ones too. That way, you can complain to your little heart's content.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Val Halla
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Val Halla » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:36 pm

I dunno. Maybe they should have interference free headphones so silence isn't an issue?
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
WOMAN

She/her

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:38 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
-Ebola- wrote:
That's not social justice. That's your selfish perspective.

I'm not the only one who goes to see movies at the cinema.

Yes but your the only one on here bitching about it.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:38 pm

Val Halla wrote:I dunno. Maybe they should have interference free headphones so silence isn't an issue?

Except that that would make the price of a movie ticket skyrocket.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:38 pm

Romalae wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
I shouldn't have to.

You're not entitled to have everything go your way. Just deal with the reality. Sometimes things just suck.

I sure would love to go the full 65 mph on the highway, but there's always traffic when I'm on it, so I can only get up to 30 mph. They should ban drivers who go slow or build me a private lane.

I actually support banning slow drivers and building myself a private lane :p
Last edited by Thermodolia on Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:39 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Val Halla wrote:I dunno. Maybe they should have interference free headphones so silence isn't an issue?

Like it isn't already?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:39 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I'm not the only one who goes to see movies at the cinema.

No, he's bringing a grave injustice to our attention. A grave injustice that needs to be remedied, no matter what the cost!
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:40 pm

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Yes but your the only one on here bitching about it.

No, he's bringing a grave injustice to our attention. A grave injustice that needs to be remedied, no matter what the cost!

Yes a grave injustice because children dying in Africa isn't a grave injustice.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:40 pm

Idzequitch wrote:

See, this is a non-issue. IM is making it into a big issue but there's no issue here. Cinemas do not need his regulations. The world doesn't revolve around him, as much as he would like it to.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:45 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:No, he's bringing a grave injustice to our attention. A grave injustice that needs to be remedied, no matter what the cost!

Clearly making movie theatres a better place by means of strict regulation takes precedence, because First World problems are best problems!

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:48 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
I'm not the only one who goes to see movies at the cinema.

Trust me. I'm not.

A lot of people are adversely affected.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:48 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:No, he's bringing a grave injustice to our attention. A grave injustice that needs to be remedied, no matter what the cost!

That's an unrelated issue.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:54 pm

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Yes a grave injustice because children dying in Africa isn't a grave injustice.

Clearly making movie theatres a better place by means of strict regulation takes precedence, because First World problems are best problems!

The First World shall rule the world! :p
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:54 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:Clearly making movie theatres a better place by means of strict regulation takes precedence, because First World problems are best problems!

The First World shall rule the world! :p

It already does...

but why do you bring this up?

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:55 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Yes but your the only one on here bitching about it.

Trust me. I'm not.

I read the entire thread and you're the only one who seems to be advocating for fines for talking in movie theaters.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:56 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Trust me. I'm not.

I read the entire thread and you're the only one who seems to be advocating for fines for talking in movie theaters.

and therefore?

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:57 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Yes a grave injustice because children dying in Africa isn't a grave injustice.

Actually it isn't. You're acting like talking in a movie theater is a grave injustice. When in reality a grave injustice is children dying from hunger and war in Africa and no one here in the first world gives two shits about them. That's a grave injustice.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:57 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:I read the entire thread and you're the only one who seems to be advocating for fines for talking in movie theaters.

and therefore?

Therefore you're the only one bitching about it.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:57 pm

The answer to this "problem" is super simple.
If someone is being legitimately disruptive, and ruining your experience, ask the theater staff to remove the disruptive person. That's it. No government involvement, no absurd penalties.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:58 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Actually it isn't. You're acting like talking in a movie theater is a grave injustice. When in reality a grave injustice is children dying from hunger and war in Africa and no one here in the first world gives two shits about them. That's a grave injustice.

Injustice doesn't have a one-to-one correspondence with any single type of incidence.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:58 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
and therefore?

Therefore you're the only one bitching about it.

I'm proposing a solution.

There is a substantial difference.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:00 pm

Idzequitch wrote:The answer to this "problem" is super simple.
If someone is being legitimately disruptive, and ruining your experience, ask the theater staff to remove the disruptive person. That's it. No government involvement, no absurd penalties.

The problem with that under the current laws, is that theater staff have very little power to do so without potentially opening themselves up to liability. For example, the person they remove could sue them for breach of contract (he also paid for the movie ticket and for the length of the entire movie) or for battery (touching him without consent in trying to remove him).

Without changing the law, this isn't a practical thing to rely on.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:00 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Therefore you're the only one bitching about it.

I'm proposing a solution.

There is a substantial difference.

To a problem that doesn't exist and most people don't care about.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General