NATION

PASSWORD

Chapel Hill shooting: Three Muslims murdered, motive unclear

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:53 am

So. To be clear, they're three possibility.
1)The murderer did it in name of Atheism, and thus, this is a Religious Hate Crime.
2)The murderer did it because he hate Muslims, and thus, this is a simple Hate Crime.
Or 3) The murderer did it for another reason, and thus, this is a simple good old plain crime.

I personnaly think it's both 1 and 2...
Citoyen Français. Bonapartiste Républicain (aka De Gaule's Gaullisme) with Keynesian leanings on economics. Latin Christian.

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:55 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Atomic Energy wrote:I am so sick of people thrusting forward the "parking dispute" narrative so quickly. The man was a militant anti-theist, and he got in an argument with muslims which ended with him killing them. If they too had been militant anti-theists, they would still be alive. It was a hate crime.

Source?

Given the fact that a widely circulated claim is that the killer had altercations with these people before makes me doubt that it was a mere parking dispute.
I am: Cynic, Depressive, Junior in HS, Arizonan, Sarcastic, Wannabe Psychologist, Lover of Cinema and Rum.

Ziggy played guitar....
For ISIS | On Israel and its settlements | Flat Taxes are beneficial for all | OOC, Baby | Probably Accurate.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:56 am

Atomic Energy wrote:I am so sick of people thrusting forward the "parking dispute" narrative so quickly. The man was a militant anti-theist, and he got in an argument with muslims which ended with him killing them. If they too had been militant anti-theists, they would still be alive. It was a hate crime.

First and foremost, define "militant anti-theist".

Secondly, that is what everyone involved said, except that father.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:06 am

Liberty and Linguistics wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Source?

Given the fact that a widely circulated claim is that the killer had altercations with these people before makes me doubt that it was a mere parking dispute.

according to the article in the times, he supported the ground zero mosque. He also threatened folks over a noisy game of "risk", and commonly had folks towed for parking.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:10 am

Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:10 am

Ethel mermania wrote:

according to the article in the times, he supported the ground zero mosque. He also threatened folks over a noisy game of "risk", and commonly had folks towed for parking.

That and his ex-wife said he had personality issues in general.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:18 am

Ethel mermania wrote:

If that's the case, then perhaps I was misinformed.
I am: Cynic, Depressive, Junior in HS, Arizonan, Sarcastic, Wannabe Psychologist, Lover of Cinema and Rum.

Ziggy played guitar....
For ISIS | On Israel and its settlements | Flat Taxes are beneficial for all | OOC, Baby | Probably Accurate.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:45 am

Ethel mermania wrote:according to the article in the times, he supported the ground zero mosque. He also threatened folks over a noisy game of "risk", and commonly had folks towed for parking.

It's fox news.
There is no perhaps about it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/1 ... 98146.html
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:48 am

Benuty wrote:http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/02/12/muslims-north-carolina-funerals/23282813/

So there is this.

Really Touching that that many people attended, but those comments... bleh
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:46 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Benuty wrote:http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/02/12/muslims-north-carolina-funerals/23282813/

So there is this.

Really Touching that that many people attended, but those comments... bleh

Apparently, Anti-Muslim sentiment from the average American is stronger than Hick's could have ever hoped his anti-theism to be...
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:34 pm

Aelex wrote:So. To be clear, they're three possibility.
1)The murderer did it in name of Atheism, and thus, this is a Religious Hate Crime.
2)The murderer did it because he hate Muslims, and thus, this is a simple Hate Crime.
Or 3) The murderer did it for another reason, and thus, this is a simple good old plain crime.

I personnaly think it's both 1 and 2...

Hate crimes are still ordinary crimes (in a sense).
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

West Aurelia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby West Aurelia » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:15 pm

Is the punishment worse for hate crimes?
_REPUBLIC OF WEST AURELIA_
Official factbook
#Valaransofab

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:46 pm

West Aurelia wrote:Is the punishment worse for hate crimes?

Dunno, we don't have that in my country...
Citoyen Français. Bonapartiste Républicain (aka De Gaule's Gaullisme) with Keynesian leanings on economics. Latin Christian.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:59 pm

It shouldn't be, first-degree murder is first-degree murder.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:13 pm

Geilinor wrote:

It shouldn't be, first-degree murder is first-degree murder.

There's an argument to be made that if a person is provoked into crime by someone's membership in a group, rather than by individual circumstances or a personal dispute, then the chance of them committing another crime is higher than average.

Also the idea that hate crimes go beyond the victim, and damage the security of the group they are targeted against.

American California
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby American California » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:16 pm

Sounds like he was just some angry nut.

Fedora-wearing atheist heavyweights love to talk the talk about how they wanna kill religious people, but they hardly ever walk the walk.
American Nationalist. Secular Traditionalist. Formerly known as North, Libertarian, and Anglo California
On the American Revolution.

3rd Place for Sexiest Male under 18, 2014 (I'm actually 18 now though...)
Evidence: Lookin' fly, 'Murica, In Chicago
Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:21 pm

American California wrote:Sounds like he was just some angry nut.

Fedora-wearing atheist heavyweights love to talk the talk about how they wanna kill religious people, but they hardly ever walk the walk.

We do?
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

American California
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby American California » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:22 pm

Lost heros wrote:

We do?

I went to reddit once.

Never again.
American Nationalist. Secular Traditionalist. Formerly known as North, Libertarian, and Anglo California
On the American Revolution.

3rd Place for Sexiest Male under 18, 2014 (I'm actually 18 now though...)
Evidence: Lookin' fly, 'Murica, In Chicago
Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce

Alosteq Diin Nastja
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Alosteq Diin Nastja » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:22 pm

Lost heros wrote:

We do?

You aren't alone. I wasn't aware we did it either.
☆ marxist-leninist ☆
hands off venezuela! solidarity with maduro!

Sailsia
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sailsia » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:42 pm

American California wrote:
Lost heros wrote:We do?

I went to reddit once.

Never again.

Generalizing the entirety of reddit is like generalizing the entirety of the internet. For every /r/TheRedPill there is a /r/TwoXChromosomes.
RIP RON PAUL
Author of the U.S. Constitution
July 4, 1776 - September 11, 2001

West Aurelia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby West Aurelia » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:02 am

_REPUBLIC OF WEST AURELIA_
Official factbook
#Valaransofab

Zakuvia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Zakuvia » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:10 am

Well, I recently learned of ultraviolent militant Buddhists as well, so I'm just of the mind that any amount of all-or-nothing religion (or lack thereof) is a key ingredient in bigoted homicide.
Balance is important in diets, gymnastics, and governments most of all.
NOW CELEBRATING 10 YEARS OF NS!
-1.12, -0.46

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:16 am

There's justice at least. You know there's a few assholes out on the internet who'd rather give him a medal for Fighting Terrorism.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:49 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:

It's fox news.
There is no perhaps about it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/1 ... 98146.html

It's Fox News, there is no facts involved whatsoever.
Signed, Creepoc Infinite
Secularism should be implemented everywhere at all times, get god out of politics. Get god away from impressionable children while you're at it.
check out my region, here.
Star Wars:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=328953

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:52 am

Never once has any represent ive of the atheist community ever said anything like that.
If they have... CITATION PLEASE

I will say that there are probably regular everyday atheist internet users who say that.
But threats are barely ever serious threats.
And saying they wanna kill religious people sounds more like internet trolling or purely being sarcastic or in jest.

Not only do we not talk that talk but we barely have ever even thought of walking that walk.

I hope you're sarcastic.
Signed, Creepoc Infinite
Secularism should be implemented everywhere at all times, get god out of politics. Get god away from impressionable children while you're at it.
check out my region, here.
Star Wars:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=328953

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General