NATION

PASSWORD

Can Religion and Rational thought coexist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Can Religion and Rational thought coexist?

Yes of course. Faith supports and is supported by rational thought.
46%
Yes, but it is a delicate balance. Most cannot be both faithful and rational.
28%
Wat?
3%
No, faith and rational thought cannot coexist.
8%
No, Religious types are by nature irrational.
8%
Other, and I will explain in mah Post!
6%

Total votes : 295

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:18 pm

I want to say yes because I've met very reasonable religious people. But then, on the same token, I've encountered very unreasonable religious people too, which makes me think both can't coexist.

In other words, I rather say that it depends on the people and where, but there's a tendency towards yes.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Asterdan
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 14, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Asterdan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:25 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I want to say yes because I've met very reasonable religious people. But then, on the same token, I've encountered very unreasonable religious people too, which makes me think both can't coexist.

In other words, I rather say that it depends on the people and where, but there's a tendency towards yes.

By the same line of thought... I've met some reasonable non-religious people, and some very unreasonable non-religious people. You're correct when you say it depends on the person.
You can call me Aster. Yes, I did revive this nation... Again...

If you aren't hurting anyone, putting anyone in danger, or infringing on the rights of others, it isn't the governments business what you do.
Bill Weld 2020

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:25 pm

Kind of like making a gourmet meal with an ez-bake oven. Yeah, you CAN do it that way....
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:26 pm

Blasted Craigs wrote:My question in plain English.
Religion usually requires one to have faith, to believe in things that are not proven. To have it proven and believe requires no faith, and thus the proven requires no faith, and faith is a cornerstone to almost all religious practices. Rational thought requires one to have proof to state something is true or false, and on a lack of proof, a thing can only be referred to as probable or improbable, specifically that it may or may not be true.

So, can they both coexist in the same mind? If you say it can or cannot, how likely would you say it does exist, or not exist? And bonus question, is there a benefit or detriment to both existing at the same time, and why?

//////////////////////////////////////////////////
My answer.
So, can they both coexist in the same mind?
Yes.
If you say it can or cannot, how likely would you say it does exist, or not exist?
It is not very common for people to have both qualities without one or the other being suppressed, whether a rational person rejecting faith or a faithful person rejecting rationality.
Is there a benefit or detriment to both existing at the same time, and why?
Yes there is a benefit. Being rational keeps one grounded in reality, and ensures one makes hopefully well informed decisions based on critical thinking skills. Faith may seem detrimental, but gives one clear advantage in my opinion. It can give one hope. When rational thought tells one that a situation is hopeless, faith, or hope, can be utilized to keep on moving and trying.

//////////////////
What say you? This is not an effort to attack or criticize, even though I am a profound critic of the religious right in politics, but a discussion on peoples thoughts on whether these two qualities can coexists in a person at one time.

Try Judaism! :lol:
NSG's one and only Constitutional Executive Monarcho-Corporatist!
100% Pro-Women Pro-Babies Pro-Life!!!

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:30 pm

Yes it can. It's the princip of humanism.
Citoyen Français. Bonapartiste Républicain (aka De Gaule's Gaullisme) with Keynesian leanings on economics. Latin Christian.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:59 pm

Kaoiluja wrote:Faith and rational thought can definitely coexist. In fact, its required. we all assume that logic is not going to change in the middle of this conversation even though purely rational thinking has no provable or irrevocable method to say so. We all believe in something that we cannot see with our eyes, hold in our hands or verify using any extra-sensory extension of any kind, though its different for all of us. Faith is the glasses through which we see the world and interpret what we observe. Think of different beliefs and religions as different lenses.

The point of rational, logical thinking is to look at things objectively, not through the lens of beliefs or religion, which skew things.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:32 pm

Kaoiluja wrote:Faith and rational thought can definitely coexist. In fact, its required. we all assume that logic is not going to change in the middle of this conversation even though purely rational thinking has no provable or irrevocable method to say so. We all believe in something that we cannot see with our eyes, hold in our hands or verify using any extra-sensory extension of any kind, though its different for all of us. Faith is the glasses through which we see the world and interpret what we observe. Think of different beliefs and religions as different lenses.

You're conflating faith with the acceptance of properly basic beliefs.

Some beliefs, like the idea that the future is based on the past and the laws of logic, have to be accepted because we need a working mental model of the world on which to base our actions. If we were to accept the opposite, that the world is not logical or comprehensible, then all actions are equal and in that frame of mind acting as if the world is comprehensible is just as beneficial as not.

We accept these assumptions not on faith, but because we lack anything comprehensible with which to replace them.

Kaoiluja
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaoiluja » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:02 pm

You're conflating faith with the acceptance of properly basic beliefs.

Some beliefs, like the idea that the future is based on the past and the laws of logic, have to be accepted because we need a working mental model of the world on which to base our actions. If we were to accept the opposite, that the world is not logical or comprehensible, then all actions are equal and in that frame of mind acting as if the world is comprehensible is just as beneficial as not.

We accept these assumptions not on faith, but because we lack anything comprehensible with which to replace them.[/quote]

You've misunderstood what I meant, though I appolag for being unclear. The laws of logic were simply an example that we could all relate to. Yes we have no other alternative than to accept the laws of logic as truth and constant for sake of avoiding insanity. We do however have to go out on a limb( I guess it's a small limb) and take this stand even though we do not know it "for sure". What I'm saying is that a person cannot simply be entirely "rational". In the way that we have defined it here. Eventually we use our background assumptions and form an opinion. Whether these assumptions be "There is a God", "There is no God" , "Vishnu is God" or "There is a place beyond death" depends on the person, but they are there all the same, and everyone has them.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:16 pm

Kaoiluja wrote:You've misunderstood what I meant, though I appolag for being unclear. The laws of logic were simply an example that we could all relate to. Yes we have no other alternative than to accept the laws of logic as truth and constant for sake of avoiding insanity. We do however have to go out on a limb( I guess it's a small limb) and take this stand even though we do not know it "for sure". What I'm saying is that a person cannot simply be entirely "rational". In the way that we have defined it here. Eventually we use our background assumptions and form an opinion. Whether these assumptions be "There is a God", "There is no God" , "Vishnu is God" or "There is a place beyond death" depends on the person, but they are there all the same, and everyone has them.

Everyone has presuppositions, but those are distinct from beliefs 'taken on faith.'

I am an atheist, but I do not assume 'there is no God.'

I've come to the conclusion that there probably aren't any gods through a rational exploration of the world around me.

Kaoiluja
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaoiluja » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:24 pm

Are you a lifetime atheist or convert?

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:00 pm

Kaoiluja wrote:Are you a lifetime atheist or convert?

I guess a convert at a very young age? My mother is theoretically Catholic and my father is agnostic, and I got dragged into mass quite a few times.
I never became an official member of the church or anything, and when I was like 13-14 I started to discover logic and reason, and I put a lot of thought and research into whether a lot of the things I was told as a child were true. I found that most of them were baseless.

From there I've become a pretty staunch Atheist, and made a point of giving presentations on the separation of church and state in my classes when I could fit it to the assignment.

Monarchist Greece
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Monarchist Greece » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:05 pm

I was genuinely surprised that this wasn't another "smashing deism" thread, props to you OP. :clap:

As to the question, Yes they can, and I like to think they do.

The Sons of Adam
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sons of Adam » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:10 pm

Humans are rational creatures by nature. They can innovate, and They already conquered the world. They are also tending to be religious. This OP does not make sense, since all humans that aren't mentally incapacitated are able to have rational thought, and a large majority are religious.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:14 pm

The Sons of Adam wrote:Humans are rational creatures by nature. They can innovate, and They already conquered the world. They are also tending to be religious. This OP does not make sense, since all humans that aren't mentally incapacitated are able to have rational thought, and a large majority are religious.

Humans are massively irrational. Human brains were created by making random changes to a basic set of neurons, then throwing out the ones that provided a noticeable disadvantage. They come with a whole host of cognitive biases and failure modes.
piss

New Werpland
Senator

Founded: Dec 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:16 pm

If your a Kantian, I think yes you could be Religious and Rational.
Last edited by New Werpland on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Sons of Adam
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sons of Adam » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:30 pm

Shaggai wrote:
The Sons of Adam wrote:Humans are rational creatures by nature. They can innovate, and They already conquered the world. They are also tending to be religious. This OP does not make sense, since all humans that aren't mentally incapacitated are able to have rational thought, and a large majority are religious.

Humans are massively irrational. Human brains were created by making random changes to a basic set of neurons, then throwing out the ones that provided a noticeable disadvantage. They come with a whole host of cognitive biases and failure modes.

Meh... I disagree, however, I don't want to start a debate on the specifics of human evolution

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:34 pm

The existence of a god is not based on rational thought, therefore they cannot be fully reconciled.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:35 pm

The Sons of Adam wrote:
Shaggai wrote:Humans are massively irrational. Human brains were created by making random changes to a basic set of neurons, then throwing out the ones that provided a noticeable disadvantage. They come with a whole host of cognitive biases and failure modes.

Meh... I disagree, however, I don't want to start a debate on the specifics of human evolution

You can disagree all you want, but he's talking about basic psychology. The human brain is notoriously irrational. And that's because we take shortcuts. Humans don't actually like thinking too hard, and it's actually better from an evolutionary standpoint that we engage in mostly automatic thinking rather than conscious thinking. It's beneficial for us to develop schemas. The problem is that it doesn't always work.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Kaoiluja
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaoiluja » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:41 pm

I would attribute most of he human brains flaws to the corruption of sin overtime. If you read the bible enough you see that sin is treated like a legitimate disease, and can actually effect you physically overtime( this meaning over generations).

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:46 pm

Kaoiluja wrote:I would attribute most of he human brains flaws to the corruption of sin overtime. If you read the bible enough you see that sin is treated like a legitimate disease, and can actually effect you physically overtime( this meaning over generations).

Sure. And we should attribute mental illnesses to demons.

Or maybe we should look at actual evidence.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:52 pm

Kaoiluja wrote:I would attribute most of he human brains flaws to the corruption of sin overtime. If you read the bible enough you see that sin is treated like a legitimate disease, and can actually effect you physically overtime( this meaning over generations).

Human "brain flaws" isn't due to any disease.

Like I said, the core reason for these flaws are actually beneficial to us. It would be INCREDIBLY annoying (understatement of the century) if we engaged in solely conscious thinking. We would never be able to get anything done.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:53 pm

Nope.

Sin's got nothing to do with it.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:54 pm

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:

Sure. And we should attribute mental illnesses to demons.

Or maybe we should look at actual evidence.

Shit, he's onto us.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Wolfenia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfenia » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:57 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote: but don't actually follow their religious texts, or they just don't apply their rational thought to their religion.

To your belief of how a peice of text must be interpreted.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:57 pm

Othelos wrote:The point of rational, logical thinking is to look at things objectively, not through the lens of beliefs or religion, which skew things.

Wrong.

Logical thinking can also lead you to the conclusion that eugenics is a good idea and in fact there are rational explanations as to why eugenics is a good thing. Logical, rational thought and critical analysis is a tool, not an end in itself.

Just because it is seemingly rational or logical doesn't mean you're correct in your thinking either. In fact your conclusions might be nothing but fantastical shit pulled out of your ass no matter how logical and sound your process to arrive at the conclusion seem.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General