NATION

PASSWORD

Kenyan Children Teargassed

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:19 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:That's what they get for resisting.

Because children protesting about the loss of their playground is reason to fire teargas at them.

"Oh no. They're waving signs and chanting slogans. The fabric of society is tearing itself apart. Quickly, subdue them and save our inherently corrupt psuedo-democratic state."

I was hoping they were being ironic.
Kotturheim's contagious despair.
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:10 am

Edgy Opinions wrote:
Jetan wrote:Atleast tear gas only stings, OC feels like somebody is stabbing you in the eyes. Still, should not have been used against children.

In Brazil pepper spray is particularly common.

Nasty. I've only ever had to test it in the FDF, it sucked balls.
Second Finn, after Imm
........Геть Росію.........
Україна вільна і єдина
From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.
Beholder's Lair - a hobby blog
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.
Always open to TGs. Pro/Against

Ceterum autem censeo Putinem esse delendum

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:21 am

Jetan wrote:
Edgy Opinions wrote:In Brazil pepper spray is particularly common.

Nasty. I've only ever had to test it in the FDF, it sucked balls.

They spray it in our riot police so that they develop resistance.

Like ??????????
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:28 am

What bullshit is this, seriously what the fuck.

Absolutely horrendous.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:32 am

Edgy Opinions wrote:
Jetan wrote:Nasty. I've only ever had to test it in the FDF, it sucked balls.

They spray it in our riot police so that they develop resistance.

Like ??????????

Yes, that's basically the same principle as it was in FDF, altough more extreme. I was MP, so we had an excersise where we had to go grab a guy from a firewood shed filled with the gas to show us what's it like to walk into your own gas. It felt like someone was slashing your eyeballs with a knife every time you tried to open your eyes. It wasn't even direct spray, and it still took over 20 minutes of submerging your head in a bucket full of cold water and physically forcing your eyes open with your hands, taking a breath and repeating the process, just to be able to squint outside the bucket. And this was with indirect exposure.
Last edited by Jetan on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Second Finn, after Imm
........Геть Росію.........
Україна вільна і єдина
From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.
Beholder's Lair - a hobby blog
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.
Always open to TGs. Pro/Against

Ceterum autem censeo Putinem esse delendum

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:49 am

Jetan wrote:Yes, that's basically the same principle as it was in FDF, altough more extreme. I was MP, so we had an excersise where he had to go grab a guy from a firewood shed filled with the gas to show us what's it like to walk into your own gas. It felt like someone was slashing your eyeballs with a knife every time you tried to open your eyes. It wasn't even direct spray, and it still took over 20 minutes of submerging your head in a bucket full of cold water and physically forcing your eyes open with your hands, taking a breath and repeating the process, just to be able to squint outside the bucket. And this was with indirect exposure.

I know, right? The police threw it close to some of my relatives and the residue coming from their clothes ended up irritating my rhinitis enormously. (No, I wasn't dumb enough to have physical contact.)

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:10 am

Edgy Opinions wrote:
United States Kingdom wrote:While I do support strict discipline, as most I know do [.]

Physical discipline is child abuse, even from the family. Even more so from those who aren't.

I wouldn't call Physical discipline child abuse, when I was disciplined back then when I was a kid it was because I was being a little infuriating troublemaker shitting on everybody's business(I even once dipped my sister's head into a bucket of oil). I learned to fear the Chuso(An electrical wire peeled for such occasions) and my grandfather's wrath more than anything and thankfully enough I turned out just fine. These days though I've noticed a trend with the newest family members as Physical discipline isn't exercised any more in my family and I already know that my newest cousins are not gonna be the most functioning members of society. Could it be that they need Physical discipline that was taught to me and my older family members or could it be that their parents fail parenting? I don't know really.

Children should never be teargassed and even more so over a protest of a demolition over a playground it's fucking unacceptable.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

Earl of Sandwich IV
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earl of Sandwich IV » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:14 am

Because children being teargassed is definitely the worst going on in kenya and africa. Totally noteworthy.
Last edited by Earl of Sandwich IV on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:20 am

Earl of Sandwich IV wrote:Because children being teargassed is definitely the worst going on in kenya and africa. Totally noteworthy.

I don't know. I find it kind of comforting that with all the hell happening on that continent there is still enough of a good life for people to be outraged over such minor things.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:23 am

Uxupox wrote:I wouldn't call Physical discipline child abuse, when I was disciplined back then when I was a kid it was because I was being a little infuriating troublemaker shitting on everybody's business(I even once dipped my sister's head into a bucket of oil). I learned to fear the Chuso(An electrical wire peeled for such occasions) and my grandfather's wrath more than anything and thankfully enough I turned out just fine. These days though I've noticed a trend with the newest family members as Physical discipline isn't exercised any more in my family and I already know that my newest cousins are not gonna be the most functioning members of society. Could it be that they need Physical discipline that was taught to me and my older family members or could it be that their parents fail parenting? I don't know really.

Of course it's not that physical discipline helps. There is evidence to suggest that physical discipline doesn't help jack shit, and that it breeds fear rather than respect, communication and understanding. Exposition to or naturalization of any form of violence is never psychologically healthy or helpful.

And while some would just be passive about these attitudes, I had self-esteem enough to be very rebellious against it myself, particularly past age 9. To further make the point it wouldn't help jack shit.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:25 am

Edgy Opinions wrote:Of course it's not that physical discipline helps. There is evidence to suggest that physical discipline doesn't help jack shit, and that it breeds fear rather than respect, communication and understanding. Exposition to or naturalization of any form of violence is never psychologically healthy or helpful.

And how do you propose one communicates with a child that is so small that it has no concept of right and wrong and can't understand why it's a bad idea to stick a finger into a broken electrical socket? Yes, it is something you should stop doing after a certain age when the child gets smart enough to talk to. But that does not mean it's a bad idea all round.
Last edited by Purpelia on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:28 am

The article said, "teachers and activists" were with them, so sadly there may have been other people there doing things that deserved tear gassing, the article also said a cop got hurt. What the heck was going on?
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:34 am

Purpelia wrote:
Earl of Sandwich IV wrote:Because children being teargassed is definitely the worst going on in kenya and africa. Totally noteworthy.

I don't know. I find it kind of comforting that with all the hell happening on that continent there is still enough of a good life for people to be outraged over such minor things.

Because gassing children is an everyday occurrence in Africa. Like famine or an albino's body parts being harvested for their magical powers.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Earl of Sandwich IV
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earl of Sandwich IV » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:37 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Purpelia wrote:I don't know. I find it kind of comforting that with all the hell happening on that continent there is still enough of a good life for people to be outraged over such minor things.

Because gassing children is an everyday occurrence in Africa. Like famine or an albino's body parts being harvested for their magical powers.

No, usually they get shot or hacked to pieces with machetes.
Last edited by Earl of Sandwich IV on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:40 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Purpelia wrote:I don't know. I find it kind of comforting that with all the hell happening on that continent there is still enough of a good life for people to be outraged over such minor things.

Exactly. For the level of things they do on that continent teargassing children is kind of Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking.
It's like: They kidnap girls for sex slavery, have religious wars that displace millions, have tribal wars that end in genocide, and they teargas some children over a playground dispute.

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 am

Purpelia wrote:And how do you propose one communicates with a child that is so small that it has no concept of right and wrong and can't understand why it's a bad idea to stick a finger into a broken electrical socket? Yes, it is something you should stop doing after a certain age when the child gets smart enough to talk to. But that does not mean it's a bad idea all round.

You need to use pain to convince them to or just restrict them? :eyebrow:

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:44 am

Purpelia wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

Exactly. For the level of things they do on that continent teargassing children is kind of Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking.
It's like: They kidnap girls for sex slavery, have religious wars that displace millions, have tribal wars that end in genocide, and they teargas some children over a playground dispute.

That's a pretty major thing in Kenya. Africa isn't some homogenous blob of terrible atrocities.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:46 am

Edgy Opinions wrote:
Purpelia wrote:And how do you propose one communicates with a child that is so small that it has no concept of right and wrong and can't understand why it's a bad idea to stick a finger into a broken electrical socket? Yes, it is something you should stop doing after a certain age when the child gets smart enough to talk to. But that does not mean it's a bad idea all round.

Time out didn't work on me I'll tell you that much.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:46 am

Edgy Opinions wrote:

Neither. You use it to train their thought processes to understand the relationship between cause and effect. Simply put, small children do not have the thought processes to understand why things are wrong in the long run. They can understand why it's bad to chew on broken glass because that hurts. But they can't understand why it's bad to chew on the seats in public transport even though that's just as dangerous. No amount of talking is going to explain germ theory to a 4 year old. So you use physical pain to create that immediate response and train them to understand there are things they should not do because they cause pain. Just like training a dog. And when they grow older you can than start explaining why these things are wrong as a substitute.

The Joseon Dynasty wrote:Africa isn't some homogenous blob of terrible atrocities.

And that is the part I find comforting.
Last edited by Purpelia on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:47 am

The Joseon Dynasty wrote:That's a pretty major thing in Kenya. Africa isn't some homogenous blob of terrible atrocities.

Silly Joseon, so you also mean that the Netherlands doesn't have anti-gay propaganda laws, Russia has no legalization of all the cannabis you can buy, Norway had no destructive recession in 2008, Portugal has no crèches welcoming children to gender-neutral pronouns and Greece doesn't have attempts to block internet porn?!

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:33 am

The hell? Great oversight there.
Last edited by MERIZoC on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:58 am

Purpelia wrote:
Edgy Opinions wrote:Of course it's not that physical discipline helps. There is evidence to suggest that physical discipline doesn't help jack shit, and that it breeds fear rather than respect, communication and understanding. Exposition to or naturalization of any form of violence is never psychologically healthy or helpful.

And how do you propose one communicates with a child that is so small that it has no concept of right and wrong and can't understand why it's a bad idea to stick a finger into a broken electrical socket? Yes, it is something you should stop doing after a certain age when the child gets smart enough to talk to. But that does not mean it's a bad idea all round.

Setting aside the fact that using a small amount of force to prevent a child from harming themselves is very different from employing physical discipline or corporeal punishment: No, there's never a benefit to using corporeal punishment. There are several downsides to using corporeal punishment on children including increased aggression and most pediatric societies strongly recommend against using it.

If you use force to prevent a child from hurting themselves, it should be limited to moving the child out of harm's way in a way that also doesn't hurt them (e.g. if you see a child reaching into a light socket, push their hand out of the way, don't smack them around for it).
Last edited by Dakini on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:06 am

Dakini wrote:Setting aside the fact that using a small amount of force to prevent a child from harming themselves is very different from employing physical discipline or corporeal punishment: No, there's never a benefit to using corporeal punishment. There are several downsides to using corporeal punishment on children including increased aggression and most pediatric societies strongly recommend against using it.

Such societies are frankly front for the modern ultra liberal thought of being soft on everyone. They fit well within the modern view of democracy-everything and freedom-everyone and equality-everywhere but that's it.

If you use force to prevent a child from hurting themselves, it should be limited to moving the child out of harm's way in a way that also doesn't hurt them (e.g. if you see a child reaching into a light socket, push their hand out of the way, don't smack them around for it).

Children are just humans. And humans are just animals. You train a child much like you'd train a dog. If the desired outcome is the same than so are the methods of achieving it.

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:09 am

Purpelia wrote:Children are just humans. And humans are just animals. You train a child much like you'd train a dog.

Mas hein?!

Never go full donkey.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:11 am

Purpelia wrote:
Dakini wrote:Setting aside the fact that using a small amount of force to prevent a child from harming themselves is very different from employing physical discipline or corporeal punishment: No, there's never a benefit to using corporeal punishment. There are several downsides to using corporeal punishment on children including increased aggression and most pediatric societies strongly recommend against using it.

Such societies are frankly front for the modern ultra liberal thought of being soft on everyone. They fit well within the modern view of democracy-everything and freedom-everyone and equality-everywhere but that's it.

Children are just humans. And humans are just animals. You train a child much like you'd train a dog. If the desired outcome is the same than so are the methods of achieving it.

Yeah, and hitting dogs is also a really shitty way to train them and a very good way of giving them personality disorders too. I don't think you've ever met an abused dog since you seem to think this is a great fucking idea.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General