NATION

PASSWORD

Kenyan Children Teargassed

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
United States Kingdom
Minister

Founded: Jun 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Kenyan Children Teargassed

Postby United States Kingdom » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:14 pm

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/20/afric ... ar-gassed/

As an African, I am incredibly disappointed at how the police have handled this issue. While I do support strict discipline, as most I know do, I do not believe teargasing children, some who were as young as 6 is a good thing. In addition to this, it points a bad image to a government that is actually trying to do good, despite me having some issues with the government. To but it simply, its a shitty way of handling this, and as a Kenyan politican said, someone should be held responsibl

What do you think NSG?
Last edited by United States Kingdom on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:23 pm

Not acceptable.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

Zakuvia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Zakuvia » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:23 pm

Baffling. I'm very glad nobody was seriously injured, but I think the only 'good' solution to this would be for the police commissioner (or the equivalent) to either offer a public apology or resign. Unless these were some Children of the Corn-grade gradeschoolers, this reactions is utterly shameful.
Balance is important in diets, gymnastics, and governments most of all.
NOW CELEBRATING 10 YEARS OF NS!
-1.12, -0.46

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:25 pm

Zakuvia wrote:Baffling. I'm very glad nobody was seriously injured, but I think the only 'good' solution to this would be for the police commissioner (or the equivalent) to either offer a public apology or resign. Unless these were some Children of the Corn-grade gradeschoolers, this reactions is utterly shameful.

If you have leaved in Africa, you will know that they will not resign.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:25 pm

It's Kenya. What else do you people expect?
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

New Bosakia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bosakia » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:26 pm

*Teargassed
Long live PFQ!

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:27 pm

New Bosakia wrote:*Teargassed

I will fix that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jamjai
Minister

Founded: Jul 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamjai » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:27 pm

that wasn't really necessary to tear gas the protesters

they could just peacefully stop them or just wait

it didn't really look much of a problem what the protester were doing
RP: 34 million

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:29 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:It's Kenya. What else do you people expect?

Have you lived in Africa, or Kenya to be more specific? Kenya isn't perfect. Its a country that a long long way to go. In addition to that, the police are terrible, as shown in how they handled the situation. That does not mean that Kenya is worse than African countries. It is more of a suitable place to live than African countries.
Last edited by United States Kingdom on Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:30 pm

Isn't it a little elitist to automatically write off a country like that? Kenya isn't the shining city on a hill, but on the other hand it's nothing compared to, say, its northeasterly neighbor.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:31 pm

United States Kingdom wrote:

Have you leaved in Africa, or Kenya to be more specific? Kenya isn't perfect. Its a country that a long long way to go. In addition to that, the police are terrible, as shown in how they handled the situation. That does not mean that Kenya is worse than African countries. It is more of a suitable place to live than African countries.

Because saying "it's Kenya what else do you people expect" is saying "Kenya is worst country in Africa". Kenya is pretty much in line with other African states in terms of "corrupt government assholes" and police brutality.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Sarigen
Envoy

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarigen » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:34 pm

Disappointing. The fact that police need to use this kind of force against children, speaks of their inadequacy as officers OR that they serve a corrupt government that strives for the easiest solution, rather than the ones that best serve the people. Now, at the risk of sounding prejudiced, when I saw this was Africa I initially considered the latter (and still do!!!), but I'm also finding myself uncomfortable, because I wouldn't have been surprised at all if this story took place within the USA. And to be honest, that is a frightening reality too, which is that many people are expecting very negative stories from our police officers ---- shouldn't the opposite hold true?

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:38 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
United States Kingdom wrote:Have you leaved in Africa, or Kenya to be more specific? Kenya isn't perfect. Its a country that a long long way to go. In addition to that, the police are terrible, as shown in how they handled the situation. That does not mean that Kenya is worse than African countries. It is more of a suitable place to live than African countries.

Because saying "it's Kenya what else do you people expect" is saying "Kenya is worst country in Africa". Kenya is pretty much in line with other African states in terms of "corrupt government assholes" and police brutality.

Kenya like most African countries do terrible in human rights. Their are however times when police brutality is needed, such as when ethnic groups attempt to destabilize the country, which is sadly quite frequently, as in most African countries. Of course there may be more effective ways to handle this, but sadly the police seems to think that brutality is the most effective way of handling things, when it isn't.
Last edited by United States Kingdom on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:52 pm

Children protesting requires teargas...seriously did the police not think for one second how stupid they look.

"Hey boss, why are we shooting teargas at children?"
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:53 pm

That seems unnecessary and excessive, to say the least.

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:03 am

I know one of the organisers of that protest, weirdly enough. I hope he's alright.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Allegan County
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Allegan County » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:11 am

United States Kingdom wrote:

Have you leaved in Africa, or Kenya to be more specific?

Jesus Christ, my fucking eyes.
"A man's natural rights are his own, against the whole world; and any infringement of them is equally a crime, whether committed by one man, or by millions; whether committed by one man, calling himself a robber, (or by any other name indicating his true character,) or by millions, calling themselves a government." - Lysander Spooner

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:15 am

Allegan County wrote:
United States Kingdom wrote:Have you leaved in Africa, or Kenya to be more specific?

Teargas or the 'leaved' instead of 'lived'?
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:55 am

Atleast tear gas only stings, OC feels like somebody is stabbing you in the eyes. Still, should not have been used against children.
Last edited by Jetan on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Second Finn, after Imm
........Геть Росію.........
Україна вільна і єдина
From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.
Beholder's Lair - a hobby blog
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.
Always open to TGs. Pro/Against

Ceterum autem censeo Putinem esse delendum

Allegan County
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Allegan County » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:59 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:
Allegan County wrote:

Teargas or the 'leaved' instead of 'lived'?

Both. I still haven't gathered the strenght to read the rest of the OP.
"A man's natural rights are his own, against the whole world; and any infringement of them is equally a crime, whether committed by one man, or by millions; whether committed by one man, calling himself a robber, (or by any other name indicating his true character,) or by millions, calling themselves a government." - Lysander Spooner

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:06 am

Jetan wrote:Atleast tear gas only stings, OC feels like somebody is stabbing you in the eyes. Still, should not have been used against children.

In Brazil pepper spray is particularly common.
Kotturheim's contagious despair.
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:07 am

United States Kingdom wrote:While I do support strict discipline, as most I know do [.]

Physical discipline is child abuse, even from the family. Even more so from those who aren't.
Kotturheim's contagious despair.
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:08 am

That's what they get for resisting.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:11 am

In the video those kids looked pretty crazy, it was almost like a riot.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:14 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:That's what they get for resisting.

Because children protesting about the loss of their playground is reason to fire teargas at them.

"Oh no. They're waving signs and chanting slogans. The fabric of society is tearing itself apart. Quickly, subdue them and save our inherently corrupt psuedo-democratic state."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General