NATION

PASSWORD

Why yall hatin' on physical cosmology?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:22 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:So, are there any people here that have a problem with cosmology? That's what this thread is for.

I don't understand. How can you have a problem with cosmology?

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:23 pm

Hydesland wrote:
UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:So, are there any people here that have a problem with cosmology? That's what this thread is for.

Cosmology tried to kill mah daddy!
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Lord-General Drache
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord-General Drache » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:24 pm

Hydesland wrote:

Biblical literalism, flat earthers, and probably others that don't readily come to mind do.
Life is mine to give and take; death is my bailiwick. I freely go where angels dare not tread, and have danced blades with the demons that lurk in your darkest nightmares.
RIP Colodia: 4/13/2011.

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:24 pm

Weylara wrote:

Ask them.

Is that OOC or IC?
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

Dragontide
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragontide » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:25 pm

If God is suppose to be the one creating and destroying worlds and star systems then why are the black holes (that are at the center of every galaxy) doing it? God is much bigger than trivial things like one universe's little ole big bang.
"The American way of life is non-negotiable" President George H. W. Bush (41) 1992 Earth Summit

"When you don't negotiate the circumstances that are sent to you by the universe, you automaticlly get assigned a new negotiating partner... Named 'REALITY'. And it will negotiate for you. You don't even have to be in the room."
James Howard Kunstler (writer)

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Lord-General Drache wrote:
Hydesland wrote:

Biblical literalism, flat earthers, and probably others that don't readily come to mind do.

But they don't inherently hate cosmology itself. Prominent cosmological theories perhaps, but the pursuit of understanding the universe and its origins itself? Unlikely.
Last edited by Hydesland on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allbeama
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Dragontide wrote:If God is suppose to be the one creating and destroying worlds and star systems then why are the black holes (that are at the center of every galaxy) doing it? God is much bigger than trivial things like one universe's little ole big bang.

Following this premise, God( if he exists) has more important things to do than meddle in the affairs of tiny beings like insects in his eyes, regardless of whether they are sentient or not. And we have every right an ability to live our lives without adhering to what is claimed to be his will. Largely because it becomes clear that his will is unknowable and the books about him and his will are merely fictions devised by humans to control other humans. An interesting concept indeed.
Last edited by Allbeama on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EVIL BEYOND COMPARE
Envoy

Founded: Aug 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EVIL BEYOND COMPARE » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:30 pm

I don't think that religion and things like the big bang theory conflict at all.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:34 pm

Damn this is boring.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Dragontide
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragontide » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Allbeama wrote:
Dragontide wrote:If God is suppose to be the one creating and destroying worlds and star systems then why are the black holes (that are at the center of every galaxy) doing it? God is much bigger than trivial things like one universe's little ole big bang.

Following this premise, God( if he exists) has more important things to do than meddle in the affairs of tiny beings like insects in his eyes, regardless of whether they are sentient or not. And we have every right an ability to live our lives without adhering to what is claimed to be his will. Largely because it becomes clear that his will is unknowable and the books about him and his will are merely fictions devised by humans to control other humans. An interesting concept indeed.

Good point. The only questions I have is: Was Jesus a Republican or a Democrat? Same question for Mohamed.
Last edited by Dragontide on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The American way of life is non-negotiable" President George H. W. Bush (41) 1992 Earth Summit

"When you don't negotiate the circumstances that are sent to you by the universe, you automaticlly get assigned a new negotiating partner... Named 'REALITY'. And it will negotiate for you. You don't even have to be in the room."
James Howard Kunstler (writer)

Drachmar
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:35 pm

EVIL BEYOND COMPARE wrote:I don't think that religion and things like the big bang theory conflict at all.

Only for some, it doesn't really fit into their time line of biblical events.
Favorite quotes:

Grave_n_idle wrote:
United Marktoria wrote:Your unconscious mind is gold. my friend.

...which explains why people keep sticking shovels in your head.

Katganistan wrote:
North Wiedna wrote:I'm a monster in bed.

Women run screaming from you? ;)

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:40 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Damn this is boring.

See, you want to beat down on someone religious here, rather pathetic no, rather like picking on the small kid in the playground.

It's that attitude that makes people react against knowledge overall, including scientific knowledge, it's the way you go about informing people, less a genuine desire to make people understand and more to coddle your ego.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:44 pm

Next time you will supply booze, a cheese platter (don't forget the pate and pear slices) and some music.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Allbeama
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:46 pm

Dragontide wrote:
Allbeama wrote:

Good point. The only questions I have is: Was Jesus a Republican or a Democrat? Same question for Mohamed.

Muhammad was an authoritarian fascist theocrat. And Jesus is whatever someone wants him to be. ;)

Allbeama
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:47 pm

Barringtonia wrote:

See, you want to beat down on someone religious here, rather pathetic no, rather like picking on the small kid in the playground.

It's that attitude that makes people react against knowledge overall, including scientific knowledge, it's the way you go about informing people, less a genuine desire to make people understand and more to coddle your ego.

Actually a thread where everyone agrees is boring. To be honest that is.

Beachchairs
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Beachchairs » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:47 pm

A two hour TV special taught me more about the subject than all the various people that have spent their lives researching it.

Seems to be the general case in all public controversies.

Drachmar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:54 pm

Well, how do you believe the universe will end? Current theory widely accepted is a heat death or "big rip." While I'm not a physicist, I don't necessarily agree with that. I do however, quite agree with the big bang theory as a whole.

I don't necessarily understand how scientists have come to believe that the universe is now expanding more rapidly than it did after the initial expansion of the universe. I mean...it was faster initially, but then expansion continued, and now it's believed that it's accelerating more than it did several billion years ago. I don't get it.

I would assume that means scientists are measuring a faster velocity of interstellar bodies closer to the Earth. Is this a correct assessment?
Favorite quotes:

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Katganistan wrote:

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:57 pm

Allbeama wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:

Actually a thread where everyone agrees is boring. To be honest that is.

I don't know, great fun can be had in agreeing, a lot of learning can come from it, but I suspect UT isn't motivated by imparting knowledge.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:06 pm

Drachmar wrote:Well, how do you believe the universe will end? Current theory widely accepted is a heat death or "big rip." While I'm not a physicist, I don't necessarily agree with that. I do however, quite agree with the big bang theory as a whole.

Why do you disagree with a heat death? If the universe exists forever, there can be no other end.

I don't necessarily understand how scientists have come to believe that the universe is now expanding more rapidly than it did after the initial expansion of the universe. I mean...it was faster initially, but then expansion continued, and now it's believed that it's accelerating more than it did several billion years ago. I don't get it.

Dark energy.

I would assume that means scientists are measuring a faster velocity of interstellar bodies closer to the Earth. Is this a correct assessment?

No. The farther away something is, the faster it is moving away from us.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:07 pm

Barringtonia wrote:I don't know, great fun can be had in agreeing, a lot of learning can come from it, but I suspect UT isn't motivated by imparting knowledge.

There's very little imparting of knowledge in th kind of agreement that is on this thread.

Drachmar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:00 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
Drachmar wrote:Well, how do you believe the universe will end? Current theory widely accepted is a heat death or "big rip." While I'm not a physicist, I don't necessarily agree with that. I do however, quite agree with the big bang theory as a whole.

Why do you disagree with a heat death? If the universe exists forever, there can be no other end.

Dark energy.

No. The farther away something is, the faster it is moving away from us.

Dark energy I get...totally.

What I don't understand is how scientists come to the conclusion that the universe is starting to accelerate faster, the further out they look. Since looking further out essentially is looking further in the past, seems that if the universe was accelerating faster scientists would see acceleration happening closer to home, like within our galactic cluster.
Favorite quotes:

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Katganistan wrote:

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:05 pm

Drachmar wrote:Dark energy I get...totally.

What I don't understand is how scientists come to the conclusion that the universe is starting to accelerate faster, the further out they look. Since looking further out essentially is looking further in the past, seems that if the universe was accelerating faster scientists would see acceleration happening closer to home, like within our galactic cluster.

Because thw way dark energy works, it produces an observed velocity which is linear with distance. This is what the Friedmann equations predict our observations will be if dark energy exists. The particular stuff we put into the Friedmann equations is matched as closely as possible to our local (in our Lorentz frame) observations.

Drachmar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:11 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
Drachmar wrote:Dark energy I get...totally.

Because thw way dark energy works, it produces an observed velocity which is linear with distance. This is what the Friedmann equations predict our observations will be if dark energy exists. The particular stuff we put into the Friedmann equations is matched as closely as possible to our local (in our Lorentz frame) observations.

I have to admit that's totally above my head.

Essentially, I would believe that if the universe is accelerating faster than it did after the initial expansion, that some sort of bubble effect would occur. In other words, we would see a greater expansion closer to the earth, than was measured closer to the edge of the universe.
Favorite quotes:

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Katganistan wrote:

Beachchairs
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Beachchairs » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:14 pm

Drachmar wrote:What I don't understand is how scientists come to the conclusion that the universe is starting to accelerate faster, the further out they look. Since looking further out essentially is looking further in the past, seems that if the universe was accelerating faster scientists would see acceleration happening closer to home, like within our galactic cluster.

I think there is some measured vs actual confusion going on here.

Far away stuff would be actually moving away faster, but measured slower than this due to the fact you are looking into the past. This does not imply either way that a far away object would be measured faster or slower than a closer object.

A way to measure this:

Measure the acceleration of drift of something say 10 ly away. Record this rate. Wait. Measure something that is now 10 ly away. Record it. Repeat.

Plot the numbers over time.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:18 pm

Drachmar wrote:I have to admit that's totally above my head.

Essentially, I would believe that if the universe is accelerating faster than it did after the initial expansion, that some sort of bubble effect would occur. In other words, we would see a greater expansion closer to the earth, than was measured closer to the edge of the universe.

We're not accellerating faster than the extremely early universe.

It goes like this (roughly):

Extremely early = inflationary universe, electroweak era, GUT era, etc. expansion was super rapid here

Radiation dominated era: The dark energy density fell off quite a bit after the initial inflation, leading to an immense release of radiation. At this time the universe expanded like the square root of time.

Matter dominated era: Some of the radiation condensed into matter, a lot of the radiation lost its energy due to the expansion of space stretching out the wavelengths of light. (Remember that the energy of light is proportional to the inverse of its wavelength.) At this time, the majority of the energy in the universe was not light, but matter. At this time the universe expanded like the cube root of time squared.

Dark dominated era: Dark energy density is constant, but matter density isn't. As space expands more and more, the density of matter decreases, but the density of dark energy stays the same. This means that the amount of dark energy eventually overtakes the amount of matter energy. At this time, the universe expands exponentially.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General