NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates' Transgender Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:58 am

Well, seems like I've started to have some minor gender dysphoria lately again. Hope it's not something I brought about by myself by too much introspection... If that is possible, which probably isn't the case?
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Has this been posted yet? I think it's a neat find.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Val Halla
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Val Halla » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:35 pm

I smile every time somebody correctly recognises me. It really lightens up my day.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
WOMAN

She/her

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:41 pm

Olthar wrote:Has this been posted yet? I think it's a neat find.

Wonder how they explain non-binary identities, then.

Val Halla wrote:I smile every time somebody correctly recognises me. It really lightens up my day.

I imagine so. :)
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:34 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:Happy Easter everyone.

RE Being honest with yourself: I'm not out to many people, but I am a lot happier with myself knowing who and what I am than I was when I was convinced that I was male. That's what being honest with myself means to me: I don't go around proclaiming my gender identity to the world, but just knowing myself better goes a long way.

RE Dysphoria vs Euphoria: I can't speak to how other agender people and cis people feel, but I will speak to my experience. Being genderfluid, I experience the male, female, and androgyne genders, as well as agenderness. When I'm male, I do experience what could be described as gender euphoria; however, I don't truly know if that's simply due to the contrast with my dysphoria at other times or if that's how cisgender people feel all the time. I'm inclined to believe that it's the former, because I imagine that cis people don't really notice their genders consciously. When I'm agender, I don't experience dysphoria or euphoria; I'm indifferent to gender, because in that moment I have none, and it's a faraway concept that I know exists and that I know is present in most other people, but it's beyond my grasp; and so aside from my past experiences with my other genders and my observations of gendered people, I really don't have any way of understanding what gender is and why it's so important.

RE Pride: I do think that people should like who they are, and I think that that's what Aidannadia was getting at when he was talking about pride. I don't think he was being a male supremacist or anything of the sort. After all, when we queer folk talk about pride we're generally not really insinuating any anti-cishet messages.

Agreed on all counts. Really, when I said what I did about agender people, I was making a generalization and basing it on what I'd heard from you and Gon. But I know Jorm's also GF, and they experience genderlessness, as well, so I'll concede.

That's perfectly understandable.

Jute wrote:Well, seems like I've started to have some minor gender dysphoria lately again. Hope it's not something I brought about by myself by too much introspection... If that is possible, which probably isn't the case?

Aw, it'll be okay. :hug: Once you're in a better headspace, feel free to analyse your feelings of dysphoria. For now, just focus on making yourself feel good.

Val Halla wrote:I smile every time somebody correctly recognises me. It really lightens up my day.

That's good. :hug:

Grenartia wrote:

Simple: They don't. Non-binary erasure is all too common, so it's no surprise, really, that scientists haven't placed any real focus on non-binary identities. To be frank, science simply hasn't caught up to the queer community, and it will be a long time before they do -- if they ever do. The full spectrum of sexual and gender identities is far beyond what the (mostly cishet) scientific community realises at the moment. For now, it seems they're just focusing on "what causes people to be gay" and "what causes people to be [binary] transgender" (which is my opinion is largely unnecessary pathologisation, as well as feeding into hetero- and cisnormativity, but if it helps them understand us and will help prove to people that we're not confused or mentally ill, then so be it).
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Grenartia wrote:

Do these identities need justification?

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:06 am

Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Do these identities need justification?

I wouldn't know.

I found this to be minor-ly offensive, mostly because it dabbed in the otherkin sector.

"Mention of food" Trigger warning for people who have had eating disorders, or still do?
So glit was considering in glitter own mind (as well as glit could, for the hot day made glitter feel very sleepy and stupid), whether the pleasure of making a daisy-chain would be worth the trouble of getting up and picking the daisies, when suddenly a White Rabbit with pink eyes ran close by glitter.

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Jute wrote:Well, seems like I've started to have some minor gender dysphoria lately again. Hope it's not something I brought about by myself by too much introspection... If that is possible, which probably isn't the case?

Aw, it'll be okay. :hug: Once you're in a better headspace, feel free to analyse your feelings of dysphoria. For now, just focus on making yourself feel good.

Thanks, I think I either started thinking about it too much, or too "quickly." Sometimes it seems like I'm leaning strongly in one direction or that my subconscious already made that decision, which kind of is uncomfortable to me and even scares me, when I think of the consequences. I will need to give it more time, I guess.
Last edited by Jute on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:57 am

Folks, you've taken this completely off topic. If you want to discuss this whole 'kin' business, do it somewhere else, thanks.

Geanna
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Geanna » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:02 am

Jute wrote:
Cyrisnia wrote:You ever hear of Demonkin?

Yes, and of faekin, ponykin, fictionkin... the list goes on and on

And not apart of the discussion revolving round this thread - as Nathi kindly outlined.
Last edited by Geanna on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

"We dance on the lines of our destruction and continuation, to waltz and achieve the happiness of our existence, and to be the laughter in a world of silence."

Stormwind-City
Minister

Founded: Dec 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwind-City » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:09 pm

Today is another day where when I see a nice girl in profile and I get jealous.
I am a woman.
Ambassador Alyssa Brightspark(Yes, a gnome)
Extra!Extra!: King dead at 89! Prince abdicates! Adopted Vanessa heir presumptive! (See FB)
Now Officially a funny poster:
If you have any questions/comments, or just need someone to talk to and a shoulder to cry on, TG me. I'll be happy to help.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:29 pm

My mom is gone for the week. Stealing her bras to try on. Her cup is huge, 38DDD!!! So jelly... Anyways, I like the feel of it on my chest. Feels.... Right. Might steal one. She never notices anyways... Though I'm a tad worried about the strap showing and the chest showing too much. Can solve both though.

Though I'll need to get a trainer bra or something soon... And a gaff...
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

Stormwind-City
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwind-City » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:33 pm

The Carlisle wrote:My mom is gone for the week. Stealing her bras to try on. Her cup is huge, 38DDD!!! So jelly... Anyways, I like the feel of it on my chest. Feels.... Right. Might steal one. She never notices anyways... Though I'm a tad worried about the strap showing and the chest showing too much. Can solve both though.

Wearing such a large cup sounds uncomfortable.
I am a woman.
Extra!Extra!: King dead at 89! Prince abdicates! Adopted Vanessa heir presumptive! (See FB)
If you have any questions/comments, or just need someone to talk to and a shoulder to cry on, TG me. I'll be happy to help.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:46 pm

Stormwind-City wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:My mom is gone for the week. Stealing her bras to try on. Her cup is huge, 38DDD!!! So jelly... Anyways, I like the feel of it on my chest. Feels.... Right. Might steal one. She never notices anyways... Though I'm a tad worried about the strap showing and the chest showing too much. Can solve both though.

Wearing such a large cup sounds uncomfortable.

Well, the open space feels a bit odd. But folding the cup down under the cup straps (basically halting it) makes it flat against my chest. And if feels so nice!
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:51 pm

That's great. :hug: Wearing a bra can feel really good. 38DDD sounds huge, though. What's your band size (if you've measured)?

Also, one nice thing about not having biological boobs is that you can actually choose your cup size (or even change it up once in a while). :3

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:58 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:

That's great. :hug: Wearing a bra can feel really good. 38DDD sounds huge, though. What's your band size (if you've measured)?

Also, one nice thing about not having biological boobs is that you can actually choose your cup size (or even change it up once in a while). :3

Well I got my momma's figure (lucky me!) So the bra fits on the tightest setting. But I'll measure one day. My grandma is a tailor so I'll measure with her tape.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Stormwind-City
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwind-City » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:13 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:That's great. :hug: Wearing a bra can feel really good. 38DDD sounds huge, though. What's your band size (if you've measured)?

Well I got my momma's figure (lucky me!) So the bra fits on the tightest setting. But I'll measure one day. My grandma is a tailor so I'll measure with her tape.

Lucky. I got some womanly hips, thighs and buttocks from my mother but I got my father's massive shoulders. If I slimmed out a little I would look like a woman with a flatish butt from behind until halfway up my ribcage where I'm flat as a board and as broad shouldered as a bear.
I am a woman.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:19 pm

Both of my parents are tall, big-boned, broad-shouldered, etc. So my body shape's great for being male, but otherwise... not so much.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:21 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:Both of my parents are tall, big-boned, broad-shouldered, etc. So my body shape's great for being male, but otherwise... not so much.

I personally haven't paid attention to my body shape, but I think my face definitely looks masculine, and beard hairs seems to be growing faster and faster now...

Stormwind-City
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwind-City » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:34 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:Both of my parents are tall, big-boned, broad-shouldered, etc. So my body shape's great for being male, but otherwise... not so much.

I've found photos of my ass online, taken when I was bending over saying "Nice ass". It was flattering and creepy. Also extremely funny.
I am a woman.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:09 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Simple: They don't. Non-binary erasure is all too common, so it's no surprise, really, that scientists haven't placed any real focus on non-binary identities. To be frank, science simply hasn't caught up to the queer community, and it will be a long time before they do -- if they ever do. The full spectrum of sexual and gender identities is far beyond what the (mostly cishet) scientific community realises at the moment. For now, it seems they're just focusing on "what causes people to be gay" and "what causes people to be [binary] transgender" (which is my opinion is largely unnecessary pathologisation, as well as feeding into hetero- and cisnormativity, but if it helps them understand us and will help prove to people that we're not confused or mentally ill, then so be it).

I know. I was just asking how they'd explain them, once they came across the concept. Although, there's every reason that they should've at least heard of them, considering the APA seems to at least acknowledge our existence.

"but if it helps them understand us and will help prove to people that we're not confused or mentally ill, then so be it"

So agreed.

Kelinfort wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Do these identities need justification?

We're not asking for justification. Scientific explanation would be the proper term.

Stormwind-City wrote:Today is another day where when I see a nice girl in profile and I get jealous.

You know who I got jealous of today? Geddy Lee.

And this guy I knew in 10th grade who joined the Marines because only cis people get to serve now. ;_;

Haven't come out to her, yet, I take it?

Stormwind-City wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:Well I got my momma's figure (lucky me!) So the bra fits on the tightest setting. But I'll measure one day. My grandma is a tailor so I'll measure with her tape.

Lucky. I got some womanly hips, thighs and buttocks from my mother but I got my father's massive shoulders. If I slimmed out a little I would look like a woman with a flatish butt from behind until halfway up my ribcage where I'm flat as a board and as broad shouldered as a bear.

The only non-manly thing I have going for me right now are my legs. Which, ironically, I get from my dad.

Jute wrote:

I personally haven't paid attention to my body shape, but I think my face definitely looks masculine, and beard hairs seems to be growing faster and faster now...

I know those feels. :( :hug:
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Stormwind-City
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwind-City » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:12 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:Simple: They don't. Non-binary erasure is all too common, so it's no surprise, really, that scientists haven't placed any real focus on non-binary identities. To be frank, science simply hasn't caught up to the queer community, and it will be a long time before they do -- if they ever do. The full spectrum of sexual and gender identities is far beyond what the (mostly cishet) scientific community realises at the moment. For now, it seems they're just focusing on "what causes people to be gay" and "what causes people to be [binary] transgender" (which is my opinion is largely unnecessary pathologisation, as well as feeding into hetero- and cisnormativity, but if it helps them understand us and will help prove to people that we're not confused or mentally ill, then so be it).

I know. I was just asking how they'd explain them, once they came across the concept. Although, there's every reason that they should've at least heard of them, considering the APA seems to at least acknowledge our existence.

"but if it helps them understand us and will help prove to people that we're not confused or mentally ill, then so be it"

So agreed.

We're not asking for justification. Scientific explanation would be the proper term.

Stormwind-City wrote:Today is another day where when I see a nice girl in profile and I get jealous.

And this guy I knew in 10th grade who joined the Marines because only cis people get to serve now. ;_;

Stormwind-City wrote:Lucky. I got some womanly hips, thighs and buttocks from my mother but I got my father's massive shoulders. If I slimmed out a little I would look like a woman with a flatish butt from behind until halfway up my ribcage where I'm flat as a board and as broad shouldered as a bear.

The only non-manly thing I have going for me right now are my legs. Which, ironically, I get from my dad.

Jute wrote:I personally haven't paid attention to my body shape, but I think my face definitely looks masculine, and beard hairs seems to be growing faster and faster now...

I wish shoulder reduction surgery existed.
I am a woman.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:Simple: They don't. Non-binary erasure is all too common, so it's no surprise, really, that scientists haven't placed any real focus on non-binary identities. To be frank, science simply hasn't caught up to the queer community, and it will be a long time before they do -- if they ever do. The full spectrum of sexual and gender identities is far beyond what the (mostly cishet) scientific community realises at the moment. For now, it seems they're just focusing on "what causes people to be gay" and "what causes people to be [binary] transgender" (which is my opinion is largely unnecessary pathologisation, as well as feeding into hetero- and cisnormativity, but if it helps them understand us and will help prove to people that we're not confused or mentally ill, then so be it).

So agreed.

Stormwind-City wrote:Lucky. I got some womanly hips, thighs and buttocks from my mother but I got my father's massive shoulders. If I slimmed out a little I would look like a woman with a flatish butt from behind until halfway up my ribcage where I'm flat as a board and as broad shouldered as a bear.

Jute wrote:I personally haven't paid attention to my body shape, but I think my face definitely looks masculine, and beard hairs seems to be growing faster and faster now...

Nope. Not yet. I don't know really. We trust each other very much but.... I don't feel like I can come out to her yet. TBH, I don't feel like I can come out on my own.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Oseiria
Secretary

Founded: Apr 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Oseiria » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:55 pm

ahh, i feel this so much :)

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:57 pm

Oseiria wrote:

ahh, i feel this so much :)

I do this, too, even though I don't actually identify as a girl. Still it has managed to improve my mood each time.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:18 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

So agreed.

Nope. Not yet. I don't know really. We trust each other very much but.... I don't feel like I can come out to her yet. TBH, I don't feel like I can come out on my own.

My problem is that I can't come out to people I'm dependent on. My cousins? Fine. My mom? No. I'm not even living with her any more, and I still can't come out (paranoid part of me thinks she might out me to my grandmother to seek some sort of support). My dad? No, because he'd probably contact my mom all pissed off. My grandparents, who I'm currently living with? Not a snowball's fucking chance in hell. At the very least, they'd throw me out (and I haven't even paid off my desktop yet, not to mention I'd have no transportation, no shelter, and would therefore lose my job), and gramps would probably try to assault me (I took him on once, 4 years ago, over an entirely different matter, but I don't particularly wish to do so again, especially when they'd probably call the cops, out me, and given I live in a state and a rural area with no protections for us, I'd get framed for everything unless I literally lay down and take the beating).

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General