NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates' Transgender Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:35 pm

Just a question, but how do yall feel about clocking/transdar, particularly when it comes to figuring out somebody's trans, and then outing yourself to them? I mean, I honestly can see some merit to it, at least in terms of trying to build a support network, but I also see how/why its a bad thing (and self-defeating).
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:26 am

Is there actually some kind of a middle thing between cisgender and transgender?
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Toddlrsta
Senator

Founded: Sep 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Toddlrsta » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:28 am

Jute wrote:Is there actually some kind of a middle thing between cisgender and transgender?

Are you happy with the gender identity society gave you at birth or not? Even gender fluidity is considered trans*

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:29 am

Toddlrsta wrote:
Jute wrote:Is there actually some kind of a middle thing between cisgender and transgender?

Are you happy with the gender identity society gave you at birth or not? Even gender fluidity is considered trans*

I don't know anymore? Ugh... -_-
Really, I don't know how to find out either or if I should even bother thinking about it anymore
Last edited by Jute on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Fabulous Rainicorns
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fabulous Rainicorns » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:06 am

Is anyone doing anything for trans day of visibility today?
Call me Jake or Jay| Pronouns: he/him/his
HYDRA PFC | The Chaos Brigade PFC

Never let them take the light behind your eyes - My Chemical Romance

Devvo Mate
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Devvo Mate » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:11 am

Genderfluid

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:11 am

I honestly can't conceive of something like that, so I'm guessing...no.

Fabulous Rainicorns wrote:Is anyone doing anything for trans day of visibility today?

Other than sharing some stuff on FB and talking about it if it comes up while I'm at work, no.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:14 am

Devvo Mate wrote:

Genderfluid

Makes sense, I guess. Is that a subset or related to genderqueerness? I think I read that somewhere...

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:26 am

I'm comfortable with my biological sex, but not really the roles surrounding masculinity. On top of that, I've never felt overtly masculine or feminine; I just prefer to do what I enjoy.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:32 am

Kelinfort wrote:I'm comfortable with my biological sex, but not really the roles surrounding masculinity. On top of that, I've never felt overtly masculine or feminine; I just prefer to do what I enjoy.

Well, actually it's up to you to define what being male means, isn't it. Standing up for who you are is actually seen as particularly "manly" a lot of the time. Of course that's not saying that it's a mostly masculine trait, it's just how I remember reading how it's seen when men do that.

Fabulous Rainicorns
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fabulous Rainicorns » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:38 am

Grenartia wrote:

Fabulous Rainicorns wrote:Is anyone doing anything for trans day of visibility today?

Other than sharing some stuff on FB and talking about it if it comes up while I'm at work, no.

I'm not really planning on doing much either. Maybe a drawing and talking to friends at lunch and GSA.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:41 am

Jute wrote:
Devvo Mate wrote:
Genderfluid

Makes sense, I guess. Is that a subset or related to genderqueerness? I think I read that somewhere...

GF falls under the GQ umbrella, which falls under the Transgender umbrella.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:43 am

Fabulous Rainicorns wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

I'm not really planning on doing much either. Maybe a drawing and talking to friends at lunch and GSA.

Yeah. So hard to figure out what to do without totally outing yourself.

Fabulous Rainicorns
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fabulous Rainicorns » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:58 am

Grenartia wrote:
Fabulous Rainicorns wrote:

Yeah. So hard to figure out what to do without totally outing yourself.

Yeah, it is. That was my original plan, but it's not really a good time.

Stormwind-City
Minister

Founded: Dec 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwind-City » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:05 am

Being genderfluid is frustrating at times, like today.
I am a woman.
Ambassador Alyssa Brightspark(Yes, a gnome)
Extra!Extra!: King dead at 89! Prince abdicates! Adopted Vanessa heir presumptive! (See FB)
Now Officially a funny poster:
If you have any questions/comments, or just need someone to talk to and a shoulder to cry on, TG me. I'll be happy to help.

Prusslandia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Prusslandia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:13 am

Stormwind-City wrote:Being genderfluid is frustrating at times, like today.

Here, have a hug. This should lighten your mood a tad. :hug:
Add 7000 to 8000 posts to my post count.
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
I’m back owo

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:38 am

Hiding away, lot letting anyone see me.
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:37 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Jute wrote:Makes sense, I guess. Is that a subset or related to genderqueerness? I think I read that somewhere...

Huh, I thought Transgender exclusively referred to only strictly male-female or female-male transitions...
What happened?

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:48 pm

Jute wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Huh, I thought Transgender exclusively referred to only strictly male-female or female-male transitions...
What happened?

Nah.

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:53 pm

Given the existence of genderfluid people, would it be more or less accurate to call gender a state rather than...I dunno, some essentialist feature or quality?
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:53 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Given the existence of genderfluid people, would it be more or less accurate to call gender a state rather than...I dunno, some essentialist feature or quality?

Unlike Sexuality?

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:03 pm

Jute wrote:
The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Given the existence of genderfluid people, would it be more or less accurate to call gender a state rather than...I dunno, some essentialist feature or quality?

Unlike Sexuality?

:blink: Could you please explain?
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:30 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:
Jute wrote:Unlike Sexuality?

:blink: Could you please explain?

Isn't that something you're born with?

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:16 pm

So, my mom referred to me as a girl today. It was a bit odd, since I'm not at the moment, but it felt good nonetheless. I think that maybe our having gone to the local Trans Monologues (FB link) a couple days ago was kind of eye-opening for her. (She even re-made a friend with a man who she used to know as a lesbian!) Whatever's made her come around, though, I'm glad for it.

Grenartia wrote:Just a question, but how do yall feel about clocking/transdar, particularly when it comes to figuring out somebody's trans, and then outing yourself to them? I mean, I honestly can see some merit to it, at least in terms of trying to build a support network, but I also see how/why its a bad thing (and self-defeating).

I'm honestly not sure. It is nice to have a support network, a group of people (or even just one person) you can talk to who understands and can relate to your gender-related issues, but you'd want to make absolutely certain before you outed yourself to anyone.

As everyone else said: no. Non-binary identities (including genderfluidity, which often involves identifying with your gender assigned at birth part of the time) are all considered to fall under the transgender umbrella. Though I suppose it's possible to identify as partly your assigned gender at birth, but not completely.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that.

Well, there are a couple events I could go to tonight, assuming I have the time and can be bothered to go. One is someone talking about gender in the Bible and how the Bible can be interpreted as being trans-affirming; the other is a trans romcom called Two4One wherein a trans guy and a cis girl, after a one-night stand, somehow both end up pregnant.

Also, the trans flag was raised today at the provincial legislative building, but I couldn't go because I was learning Math (joy). I heard from a trans friend of mine (who did go) that it wasn't that great, though, so I don't feel as bad now that I couldn't attend.

I feel that. The inability to undergo any more permanent changes to your body can be a bitch. Recently I've also been kinda wanting a short haircut (I've been mostly male for a decent amount of time now, and while long hair can look great on men, I like short hair as well), but then I remember that I love my long hair too (for instance, playing with hair is fun), and my hair is often the only thing that makes random people "mistake" me for female (which does happen on occasion, and when it does it can make my day).

Auremena wrote:
Hiding away, lot letting anyone see me.

:hug:

Jute wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

*gets a slightly crazed look in his eyes* That's what the Illubinary wants you to believe. *nods sagely*

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. *shrug* To be honest, I don't give too much thought anymore to how or why people have gender identities, or what gender really is; in my opinion, it shouldn't matter. All that matters is how people identify.

Jute wrote:
The United Colonies of Earth wrote: :blink: Could you please explain?

Isn't that something you're born with?

Which one?

But to answer: again, I have no fucking clue (about either), and I stopped caring a while ago. Also, this article (The Gay Gene Won't Save Us) is relevant.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:33 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:So, my mom referred to me as a girl today. It was a bit odd, since I'm not at the moment, but it felt good nonetheless. I think that maybe our having gone to the local Trans Monologues (FB link) a couple days ago was kind of eye-opening for her. (She even re-made a friend with a man who she used to know as a lesbian!) Whatever's made her come around, though, I'm glad for it.

Grenartia wrote:Just a question, but how do yall feel about clocking/transdar, particularly when it comes to figuring out somebody's trans, and then outing yourself to them? I mean, I honestly can see some merit to it, at least in terms of trying to build a support network, but I also see how/why its a bad thing (and self-defeating).

I'm honestly not sure. It is nice to have a support network, a group of people (or even just one person) you can talk to who understands and can relate to your gender-related issues, but you'd want to make absolutely certain before you outed yourself to anyone.

As everyone else said: no. Non-binary identities (including genderfluidity, which often involves identifying with your gender assigned at birth part of the time) are all considered to fall under the transgender umbrella. Though I suppose it's possible to identify as partly your assigned gender at birth, but not completely.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that.

Well, there are a couple events I could go to tonight, assuming I have the time and can be bothered to go. One is someone talking about gender in the Bible and how the Bible can be interpreted as being trans-affirming; the other is a trans romcom called Two4One wherein a trans guy and a cis girl, after a one-night stand, somehow both end up pregnant.

Also, the trans flag was raised today at the provincial legislative building, but I couldn't go because I was learning Math (joy). I heard from a trans friend of mine (who did go) that it wasn't that great, though, so I don't feel as bad now that I couldn't attend.

I feel that. The inability to undergo any more permanent changes to your body can be a bitch. Recently I've also been kinda wanting a short haircut (I've been mostly male for a decent amount of time now, and while long hair can look great on men, I like short hair as well), but then I remember that I love my long hair too (for instance, playing with hair is fun), and my hair is often the only thing that makes random people "mistake" me for female (which does happen on occasion, and when it does it can make my day).

Auremena wrote:Hiding away, lot letting anyone see me.

:hug:

Jute wrote:Huh, I thought Transgender exclusively referred to only strictly male-female or female-male transitions...

*gets a slightly crazed look in his eyes* That's what the Illubinary wants you to believe. *nods sagely*

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. *shrug* To be honest, I don't give too much thought anymore to how or why people have gender identities, or what gender really is; in my opinion, it shouldn't matter. All that matters is how people identify.

Jute wrote:Isn't that something you're born with?

Which one?

But to answer: again, I have no fucking clue (about either), and I stopped caring a while ago. Also, this article (The Gay Gene Won't Save Us) is relevant.

Thanks everyone for answering. And interesting to hear that about the bible.
Also, it does for some reason make me happy when people mistake me for female, too, although I think for me it's more because I find it funny when that happens. Thanks for the link as well.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General